SimpleNotEasy's Whole 30 Log December 2015

SimpleNotEasy

Salted nuts=some of the most delicious Whole 30-approved foods ever!  I once bought a bag of salted mixed nuts from Whole Foods (no oils in them!!) and I had to give them away because I couldn't stop thinking about them!  Sooooooo good!  The last time I went to Whole Foods I looked for them again and they weren't there.  Probably a good thing...  :)

I am so glad to hear that your emotional state has improved and you are feeling empowered!  You are doing awesome!--already 2 1/2 weeks into your Whole 30!  That's so great!  One of the things I love about the Whole 30 is that it gives us guidelines and boundaries, and we really can't live a Whole 30 lifestyle and live outside of those boundaries.  It's easy, simple, and clear-cut.  Love me some boundaries.  Like I've said before, I am such a black-and-white, extreme person, and definitely an abstainer (vs. moderator) so these strict guidelines really work for me.

How many Whole 30's have you done before?  How have your previous Reintroductions gone?  Can you pinpoint areas where you need to focus your efforts during your upcoming Reintro?  I have done 3 Whole 30's in the past and the Reintro always starts innocent enough, but old habits always come back.  This Whole 30, I have different reasoning behind my intentions.  In the past it has been about weight and body fat and composition (and important but superficial things like that.)  This go round, I am focusing on my health, good feelings, and happiness.  And it makes SUCH a difference!  Just changing my perspective from weight/scale victories to hapiness/non-scale victories makes such a difference.  And this change in focus has also shaped where I plan to focus my Reintro efforts.  For example, instead of worrying about binging and falling off the wagon and gaining weight, I will be self-experimenting in hopes to feel my best, maintain my good feelings and happiness, and fuel my marathon training, despite what the scale says.  One extremely important things that I want to make sure to maintain even during my Reintro is the self-control and food freedom that I have gained through this Whole 30.  If I ever feel out of control I will need to get back to the safety of Whole 30 pronto to get myself back in control. I am going to focus my Reintro efforts on figuring out what foods make me feel my best, and which foods I should avoid...the whole FODMAP issue.  Instead of figuring out which non-Whole 30 foods to Reintro, I am going to be figuring out which Whole 30 foods I can eat to feel my best (and if FODMAPs are really an issue for me.)  I have felt the Tiger Blood, and it's one of the best feelings to know that I am doing something healthy for myself, without being deprived...when I feel the Tiger Blood, I have no desire to eat off-plan or reintro non-Whole 30 foods.  It can be a slippery slope.  Anyway, that's just my view on things--changing my perspective and goals for my Whole 30 and Reintro has really helped me figure out what my priorities are for my Reintro and going forward.

Thanks, Alison. 

The truth is, I have not approached Reintros with any real plan after my past 2 Whole 30's. In fact, I'd say that I really have not even done them at all. I've just continued to eat Paleo style, but eventually, over time, other foods have crept in. Mainly dairy, sugar and corn (in the form of tortilla chips). But other stuff, too.

So a first step, then, would be to learn about how Whole 9 proposes to approach reintros and to follow that approach and actually do them this time. 

I think you will enjoy the conversation ArtFossil has brought up on his postWhole 30 log (part of which I copied above so that I can remember). I'll appreciate your input as well.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I've always struggled with life after Whole30 (or 100 in my case). Riding my own bike is too hard for me, and before I know it, I'm completely off course. However, each time that I do a Whole (something), I find that I get a little stronger each time and I can handle off roading a little better each time it's over. I hope that I continue working towards being comfortable with balance!

To be honest, I've always struggled with life after Whole30 (or 100 in my case). Riding my own bike is too hard for me, and before I know it, I'm completely off course. However, each time that I do a Whole (something), I find that I get a little stronger each time and I can handle off roading a little better each time it's over. I hope that I continue working towards being comfortable with balance!

Agreed.  With each Whole 30, it gets easier.  Each Whole 30 build on the previous Whole 30 and I find that I continue to learn new principles and learn about my body.

Hey Britt and Alison - 

"Riding my own bike" is so much harder than doing the Whole 30 for me, too. For sure. But I think that it's also true what you both said, that I learn something from doing the Whole 30 each time. Alison - like you, this time for me, it's not about losing weight or appearance. It's about my emotional well-being. That makes a huge difference in how I'm seeing things this time. 

I just LOVE what ArtFossil said about wanting balance. I, too, want to learn to create a nutritional structure for myself which is in line with my values and supports my best health and helps me to live a balanced life. It's when things get out of balance that I begin to suffer - both physically and emotionally. I believe that the Whole 30 is helping me to move toward the balance that I long for. 

Oops - just saw that ArtFossil is "she" rather than "he" - sorry! I guess I was being too literal with the user name.  :D  :D  :D

Phew!  I thought *I* had it wrong and was about to comment "oops, I thought ArtFossil" was a woman!"  But I may have made a similar mistake in my thinking early on, thinking that "Art" was short for Arthur or something like that.

I've learned to let go of associations regarding "male/female" names in Asia, because I'm only starting to become aware of which Korean names are generally female names and which are male names.  I'm routinely addressed as Mr. Graham (for two reasons: they don't identify Lauren as a female English name and the Korean term of respect, "ssi" - sounds like "she", is unisex, so they use "Mr." or "Sir" in the same way).

I'm nervous about reintros too, because I know it's not healthy (mentally) for me to never re-intro non-compliant Whole30 foods or to feel "guilty" when I do.  And it shouldn't matter whether it's plain Greek yogurt or gluten-free oatmeal or a Krispy Kreme donut - with conscious decision-making, none of those foods should make me feel "bad" or "guilty" MENTALLY (any one of them could make me feel poorly physically - that's not the point I'm trying to make).

We've been here for each other during the Whole30 - I'm sure we can continue to support each other through structured reintroductions!  I'll see you over in the Post-Whole30 logs in a few days!

Cheers,

-Lauren

Phew!  I thought *I* had it wrong and was about to comment "oops, I thought ArtFossil" was a woman!"  But I may have made a similar mistake in my thinking early on, thinking that "Art" was short for Arthur or something like that.

I've learned to let go of associations regarding "male/female" names in Asia, because I'm only starting to become aware of which Korean names are generally female names and which are male names.  I'm routinely addressed as Mr. Graham (for two reasons: they don't identify Lauren as a female English name and the Korean term of respect, "ssi" - sounds like "she", is unisex, so they use "Mr." or "Sir" in the same way).

I'm nervous about reintros too, because I know it's not healthy (mentally) for me to never re-intro non-compliant Whole30 foods or to feel "guilty" when I do.  And it shouldn't matter whether it's plain Greek yogurt or gluten-free oatmeal or a Krispy Kreme donut - with conscious decision-making, none of those foods should make me feel "bad" or "guilty" MENTALLY (any one of them could make me feel poorly physically - that's not the point I'm trying to make).

We've been here for each other during the Whole30 - I'm sure we can continue to support each other through structured reintroductions!  I'll see you over in the Post-Whole30 logs in a few days!

Cheers,

-Lauren

I am so thankful for my Whole 30 friends and the support you have given me!

Grateful for y'all and your support! It has been good to have some friends here on Whole 30 forums. There are not too many of us doing a December one. I agree, let's support one another Post Whole 30 and in the Re-intros, too.  :)

Today is my day 18. Yesterday was a little harder - I felt a bit "bingey." I upped my portion sizes a little today to see if that might keep me from feeling like that, and so far, it has.

I've been thinking about this concept of balance and how it goes with the moderator/abstainer issue that we were discussing the other day. (This applies to post-Whole 30, obviously.)

I'm pondering the concept that maybe it's more on "foods with no brakes" that I need to continue to be an abstainer from long-term. Perhaps during re-intros, I can more clearly recognize what specific foods those are. (Although there are some which are obvious - tortilla chips, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, coke and dr pepper, things like banana bread and pumpkin bread, salted nuts, jars of nut butters, for example.) I have not tended to binge in the truest sense of the word - I don't eat a gallon of ice cream at a time or anything - but I DO have a tendency when I am feeling low to eat an excess volume of less-than-the-best foods. Maybe like a large cereal bowl of ice cream or two thick slices of pumpkin bread or multiple handfuls of tortilla chips.

Something else that came to mind is that context makes a difference. When I am at a restaurant or party, I can indulge in a serving of dessert or 1-2 glasses of wine. However, if I am at home and have unlimited access to these things, it is a lot easier to go back for seconds or thirds, and doing that is what lands me where I don't want to be. I end up feeling guilty and down on myself and on the road toward depression. Physiologically, I think the larger quantities would also lead to more inflammation in the body, causing potentially more health issues.

So as I attempt to create a structure for myself after my Whole 30, I wonder how to take these things into account. Years ago, I followed a program called Body for Life. There were a number of good things about that program (it was the first time I ever learned to life heavy weights). One thing incorporated into it was a "free day." You ate compliant meals 6 days per week, and on the day you chose, you could relax the guidelines. I didn't binge on those days, but I did enjoy the opportunity to eat things that I wouldn't normally allow myself to have. I wonder about trying something like that.

I have tried a number of ways to attempt to address emotional eating and to make my body trim and healthy with varying results. Another program I tried allowed 4 flex meals during the week. That was harder for me that just having one "free day" due to my troubles with moderating. One flex meal would tend to bleed into the next at times, if memory serves.

I'd love to hear feedback from any of you on these topics. 

In the meantime, I am rocking along on the Whole 30, which definitely keeps it simple.

Glad to hear you are feeling more full, SNE! Remember, in the week leading up to your period (if that's where you are) can also require increased intake and many women benefit from more starchy carbs in this period (but if the far is working, stick with it)! Far = fat.

I've heard of and tried "cheat" or "free" or "pleasure" days before and some people swear by them. I personally don't like them because they encourage more good/bad on/off black and white thinking for me. All the food I eat should be good and pleasurable. Having that day would cause me to eat more than I otherwise would because it was the only time I "could" have those foods. And it caused me to crave foods I normally otherwise wouldn't think about just be virtue of them only being "allowed" once a week. And then I would spend more time thinking about and planning for that one day. Just my own personal experience, of course!

This whole experience has really emphasized and reminded me that I really miss training for athletic competition vs. just to stay "in shape" (the latter previously always just being a nice side effect of the former). Feeling good about what my body can do naturally leads into feeling good about what it looks like and I seemed to fall naturally into the best eating patterns.

Mind you, it's also good to know how to eat without needing huge training volumes to burn it all off! My appetite is becoming much more elastic than it used to be.

http://whole30.com/2009/06/the-w9-guide-to-eating-dirty-part-i/

http://whole30.com/2009/06/the-w9-guide-to-eating-dirty-part-ii/

This one is especially for you, SNE: http://whole30.com/step-four-finished/

In the third article I like how she talks about not planning cheat days, because this sets you up for failure. By planning to cheat, you are planning to eat poorly, whether you want to or not. Instead, eating off-plan occasionally when worth it, and valuing what you are eating is a much better way to off-road. And speaking of off-reading, here is a spreadsheet to use when you are evaluating whether a food is worth the cheat or whether you should bypass it: http://whole30.com/downloads/off-roading.pdf

Helpful?? :)

Hey Lauren & Ali

Good thoughts. Thanks to you both!

I found the articles interesting. It's a good point that opportunities to enjoy something off plan come up at different times in a week and that I might want a glass of wine at a friend's house on a Tuesday night and a special dessert on a Friday. Or I might not have anything off plan for days or weeks in a row if nothing worth it comes up. It's a good idea to evaluate carefully what might or might not be worth it in terms of off-roading. I get the point she makes that if I tell my self that I can eat whatever I want on Saturday, I will eat a bunch of stuff since it is "the one chance" even if I don't really care that much about it. Or at least there is that potential. 

I'll consider all of this as I continue to think about what post-Whole 30 will look like.  

In the meantime, I am putting one foot in front of the other here. I did just eat 2 packets of almond butter after dinner.  :mellow: Hm.

In the meantime, I am putting one foot in front of the other here. I did just eat 2 packets of almond butter after dinner.  :mellow: Hm.

Two things.

1. Yesterday during my 11-mile run, I kept thinking of the Christmas song (from 'Santa Claus is coming to town')--"Put one foot in front of the other!" It was so appropriate for a long run, and sometimes that's what we need to do to get through a tough food situation. Whether it's a Whole 30 or a tough day or a craving we know we should resist...it's one foot in front of the other. Baby steps. :)

2. Nuts! Yes, I totally had a dessert of nuts last night, meaning two servings of nuts for the day! But today will be a new day--a fresh start. Nut count for the day: zero. ;)

Two things.

1. Yesterday during my 11-mile run, I kept thinking of the Christmas song (from 'Santa Claus is coming to town')--"Put one foot in front of the other!" It was so appropriate for a long run, and sometimes that's what we need to do to get through a tough food situation. Whether it's a Whole 30 or a tough day or a craving we know we should resist...it's one foot in front of the other. Baby steps. :)

2. Nuts! Yes, I totally had a dessert of nuts last night, meaning two servings of nuts for the day! But today will be a new day--a fresh start. Nut count for the day: zero. ;)

Ali - were you dealing with insomnia or did you have to work the night shift? Either way, ugh! Yep - baby steps. And progress, not perfection. 

Today is day 19.

We are hosting a party tonight and our family specialty is homemade pizza &/or calzones. I will brag on myself here and say that I made Melissa Joulwan's chocolate chili last night so that I (and one friend who eats gluten free) will have something compliant to eat tonight instead. I did not feel like making it - I was tired and just wanted to veg, but I pushed through and did it anyway. I also went ahead and doubled the batch so I am now ready for Christmas Eve dinner.  :D  :D  :D My son and his girlfriend came in while I was cooking, and it was so much more fun to stand there and brown four lbs of ground beef while talking to them than it would have been to do it by myself.

My other plans for keeping tonight compliant on the food

-I will have a bowl of olives out to snack on until dinner is served.

-I will have a big serving of salad with compliant dressing.

-I will have sparkling water with a juicy slice of Meyer lemon.

And I will be running around making sure that others are well-served on food and drink, so I'll be occupied.

Sounds like a great plan! I have been thinking of trying that chili recipe. I'll be interested to hear how you like it! I hope you have a great party! I'm glad you get a chance to get together with loved once for the holidays! :)

Last night--about 30 minutes of insomnia after getting up to use the bathroom. It was ok though because I got to sleep in today. Gotta love a Saturday morning!

So as I attempt to create a structure for myself after my Whole 30, I wonder how to take these things into account. Years ago, I followed a program called Body for Life. There were a number of good things about that program (it was the first time I ever learned to life heavy weights). One thing incorporated into it was a "free day." You ate compliant meals 6 days per week, and on the day you chose, you could relax the guidelines. I didn't binge on those days, but I did enjoy the opportunity to eat things that I wouldn't normally allow myself to have. I wonder about trying something like that.

I have tried a number of ways to attempt to address emotional eating and to make my body trim and healthy with varying results. Another program I tried allowed 4 flex meals during the week. That was harder for me that just having one "free day" due to my troubles with moderating. One flex meal would tend to bleed into the next at times, if memory serves.

I've heard of and tried "cheat" or "free" or "pleasure" days before and some people swear by them. I personally don't like them because they encourage more good/bad on/off black and white thinking for me. All the food I eat should be good and pleasurable. Having that day would cause me to eat more than I otherwise would because it was the only time I "could" have those foods. And it caused me to crave foods I normally otherwise wouldn't think about just be virtue of them only being "allowed" once a week. And then I would spend more time thinking about and planning for that one day. Just my own personal experience, of course!

I have more thoughts on this. In addition to the Whole9 articles I posted here yesterday, I would like to add my own personal experience. A few years ago I decided to eat 'healthy' (which now I know was not healthy at all, but was healthy according to conventional wisdom, like cereal with milk and a banana for breakfast), but I still wanted to eat splurge items. I had gotten to the point with baking where I was eating dessert 4-5 nights a week. (I'm a really good baker! It's a gift and a curse!) And then I would feel bad and regretful the following day. I would sometimes be good during the week and have the weekend be my splurge weekend (really dumb, because you can get into a lot of trouble in two days!), but then I would feel TERRIBLE on Monday and it would take me at least two days to get back to normal. I did that week in and week out. Be good for 5 days, be bad for 2, feel terrible on Monday and Tuesday, then feel better on Wednesday, only to start the whole cycle over on Saturday morning, and sometimes Friday night. After going through that cycle for more than 1/2 a year, I decided that I didn't want to feel bad about splurging, but that I needed to get myself under control too. I decided to allow two splurge meals per week, where I could eat whatever I wanted, including a meal and dessert and a drink. Well, this was nice because I got to eat high calorie, fatty, indulgent, sugary foods without guilt. Win win, right? Not so much. The hangover from those meals was awful. And I imagine that they would be even worse now that I have a clean system. I was literally putting toxins into my body twice a week, and dealing with the aftermath. I told myself that since I was eating this way for only two meals, it was better than a whole weekend of eating whatever I wanted. But, like we have discussed and like the articles say, planning to splurge or cheat sets you up for the mentality that you must cheat (whether you really want to or not), and that you must eat every possibly food that you want to eat because after that one or two meals per week, it's back to eating normal and healthy again and they are forbidden. Fail. And this idea of forbidden food except for a certain number of meals per week, causes me to put them on a pedestal and make them something special that they are not. Like GGG, I would focus so much on thinking about what I was going to eat and drink during those cheat meals that once the meals finally came, I would be so ravenous for whatever crappy food I had planned to eat that I would want to eat them earlier and earlier and maybe even eat foods I didn't want to eat, just because I could at that meal. Instead of eating dinner at 7pm like normal, I would start to graze during mid-afternoon, saying that this was part of dinner. Slippery slope. Well, after a few months of trying this but still not feeling great, I decided that nothing was more important to me than dessert. So, instead of splurge meals I would have splurge desserts. I did this with fairly similar results, but then even more foods were forbidden, meaning that I missed even more foods, felt restricted, and had a hard time not thinking of all of the yummy foods I was not allowing myself to eat. Another fail.

I just think that cheat meals are better as meals or foods that come up as a surprise, and that it should be something that you deem is worth it at the time. I don't think planning a cheat is a good idea for all of the reasons listed in the articles, as well as based on my personal experience. And it sounds like GGG can back me up on that with her personal experience. I also don't know if I would tell myself that I can splurge 4 times this week. For one, it is setting you up for failure four times that week. You know that you are planning to eat less good for four meals, whether the foods are really worth it or not. Secondly, what if you don't want to eat four cheat meals that week? Will you eat that way anyway, just because you can? Third, what if there is a fifth or even sixth meal that you really think is worth it to eat? Will you feel bad about eating those two meals, even though they are worth it and special to you? And finally, fourth, Whole 30 talks a lot about making things easy for your brain. By saying that you are allowing a certain number of splurge meals per week, your brain is now taxed with the task of figuring out which meals are worth it. You will have to evaluate every meal, every day to determine whether today is the day. How exhausting! If you, instead, continue with your healthy eating habits and occasionally off-road when worth it and then get back to your healthy eating habits immediately following the splurge, I think that would be so much easier for your brain. But, before you do indulge or splurge, I would have an HONEST heart to heart with yourself, make sure you really want to eat the food, make sure it's not just a craving you should ride out, and if the food is worth it and special and you want to consume it, then make a pact with yourself to be ok with it, indulge and feel good about your decision, and do not regret what you eat.

My two cents. :)

The chili is delicious! I've been making it for a couple of years (since my first Whole 30) and the whole family enjoys it. I definitely recommend trying it! You don't taste the cocoa at all.

Totally trying it soon then! Maybe for Christmas! I am trying to try one new food a week, so that I am not eating eggs-sweet potato-butternut squash-ghee-avocado-salsa-broccoli-chicken salad-celery-large salad every day! Not that I don't love my usual foods, but variety is nice. This week I am trying jicama! I have no idea what to do with it right now! I'm gonna have to google it, I guess! :)

Very good thoughts, Ali. I will definitely re-read tomorrow and process more then. 

Just stopping in to report that I made it through my Christmas party as planned. I ate some green olives for an appetizer and the chili and drank sparkling water with lemon all evening. It was ok. I felt a little sorry to miss out on homemade ice cream pie with homemade fudge sauce that one of my friends brought, but you know, it's fine. The lack of depression in the week ahead will be worth missing out on that. No question at all.

Isn't it interesting when you don't drink how you notice things that you wouldn't notice otherwise? Like how much other people are or are not drinking. 

That's all for now. I got 16,659 steps today!!! I did take my sweet pup for a spin around the neighborhood this afternoon, but I walked everything over the 10,000 after that point. Whew.

Very good thoughts, Ali. I will definitely re-read tomorrow and process more then. 

Just stopping in to report that I made it through my Christmas party as planned. I ate some green olives for an appetizer and the chili and drank sparkling water with lemon all evening. It was ok. I felt a little sorry to miss out on homemade ice cream pie with homemade fudge sauce that one of my friends brought, but you know, it's fine. The lack of depression in the week ahead will be worth missing out on that. No question at all.

Isn't it interesting when you don't drink how you notice things that you wouldn't notice otherwise? Like how much other people are or are not drinking. 

That's all for now. I got 16,659 steps today!!! I did take my sweet pup for a spin around the neighborhood this afternoon, but I walked everything over the 10,000 after that point. Whew.

Hooray! Great job! Those holiday parties and family get-togethers can be trials when trying to eat healthy! I'm glad you can refrain from certain foods, knowing their negative psychological impacts on you. One dessert is definitely not worth a week of depression, I don't care how tasty it might be! Also, awesome job on your steps! I have a Fitbit too, but only wear it on my runs when I am gauging my distance and speed on runs. I hope you have a great Sunday! :)

Brewer5 and I have been discussing ketosis over on her log. I took some time this morning to review my journals and data that I entered in My Fitness Pal when I did an experiment with eating ketogenically last summer. Random assortment of thoughts:

-when I decide to take action to improve my health, I experience a boost in mood and energy.

-I am determined and committed (certainly not perfect!) once I decide to do something. Having a plan works well for me. I enjoy structure.

-tracking food on My Fitness Pal is a pain in the rear end. I did it to try to evaluate whether I was achieving ketosis. I really like not tracking in that way on the Whole 30. If I had purchased a Ketonix (measures breath ketones), I could have skipped all that baloney. Duh. Hindsight makes many things clear.

-when I get sidetracked, I get pretty seriously sidetracked. Going forward post-Whole 30, maybe I could write some reminders to myself to help prevent this.

That's all for now. Better get some breakfast and get myself dressed for church.

Happy Sunday, friends.  :)

SNE- Glad you are doing well. Sorry I haven't been around in a few days~

I am not a moderator AT ALL. I cannot do it. One sugary, sweet thing sends me right into the abyss and I'm starting to understand and learn that I can NEVER be a moderator. I do wonderfully at abstaining but find that the social pressures are so hard sometimes. My family hates this and constantly questions "well!? what CAN you eat?"  It gets so old.

I just did my first Whole100 a few months ago, and here I am again because I went right back to my old ways. As hard as it is, I love being on a Whole100. It makes the decision for me. Nope. I can't have that!

and I know where you are coming from with Christmas! I'm going to do my best to stay away from everything too.

I am not a moderator either! It's all or nothing, especially when it comes to chocolate and potato chips!

I too, get the, "what can you eat" and "what diet are you doing now" questions! I understand since i have been on some crazy diets. My husband is trying to be supportive. My kids (ages 21, 17, and 16) just roll their eyes and gobble down the junk. Not having the stuff in the house doesn't work because my husband does the grocery shopping and will buy it anyway. I am not at all tempted by the fake mac and cheese or processed junk, but the homemade banana bread smelled amazing!

I'm doing the best I can but refuse to beat myself up if I find out my coconut milk has a preservative in it. I know that if I feel like I am completely depriving myself for 30 days, then I will do a 360 at the end of the 30 days and go back to my old habits. I would rather feel like I can be "reasonable" with my choices once my Whole30 is complete. Does this make sense?

Hi Joanna144! Welcome. I'm with you - not at all tempted by fake mac & cheese or the like, but certain things are really tasty, even if I know they don't contribute to my best health. When I'm on the Whole 30 (abstaining), then it's no problem. But when I'm not (trying to moderate), it can be harder & I sometimes give in. I would love to figure out how to achieve balance.

You might enjoy reading ArtFossil's thoughts on balance in her post-Whole 30 log. I certainly did (and I copied some of them a few posts back in my log, too). 

Re: the preservative in the coconut milk and wanting to feel like you can be "reasonable"... Everyone seems to have their different tolerance levels for some of the nitty-gritty details of the Whole 30. I think the spirit of the Whole 30 is to make choices to put the best whole foods with the fewest additives, etc. in our bodies for the entire 30 days. Is it better to do the Whole 30 using coconut milk that has a few additives than to skip doing the Whole 30 and just eat whatever? Sure. If there is the option to purchase a compliant brand next time your hubby goes to the store (or maybe order one online?), I'd do that. But that's me. Hopefully we are adjusting to the changes we make so that over time, when we "ride our own bikes" after a Whole 30, our choices become more and more healthy, rather than reverting to old habits. Progress is definitely not strictly linear. 

success.png

I love your graph, SNE!

I just bought a book you (and Joanna) might like. It's The Practicing Mind by Thomas Sterner. (The subtitle is Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life — Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process.)

I bought it because I teach creative thinking, which is a set of skills anyone can use and develop, and developing the "creativity habit" requires looking at stress and time management and procrastination and perfectionism and all those things that can either support or get in the way of our best work.

But the application to food and health seems clear.

Here's the blurb:

"In those times when we want to acquire a new skill or face a formidable challenge we hope to overcome, what we need most are patience, focus, and discipline, traits that seem elusive or difficult to maintain. In this enticing and practical book, Thomas Sterner demonstrates how to learn skills for any aspect of life, from golfing to business to parenting, by learning to love the process.

Early life is all about trial-and-error practice. If we had given up in the face of failure, repetition, and difficulty, we would never have learned to walk or tie our shoes. So why, as adults, do we often give up on a goal when at first we don’t succeed? Modern life’s technological speed, habitual multitasking, and promises of instant gratification don’t help. But in his study of how we learn (prompted by his pursuit of disciplines such as music and golf), Sterner has found that we have also forgotten the principles of practice — the process of picking a goal and applying steady effort to reach it. The methods Sterner teaches show that practice done properly isn’t drudgery on the way to mastery but a fulfilling process in and of itself, one that builds discipline and clarity.

By focusing on “process, not product,” you’ll learn to live in each moment, where you’ll find calmness and equanimity. This book will transform a sense of futility around learning something challenging into an attitude of pleasure and willingness."

I am not a moderator either! It's all or nothing, especially when it comes to chocolate and potato chips!

I too, get the, "what can you eat" and "what diet are you doing now" questions! I understand since i have been on some crazy diets. My husband is trying to be supportive. My kids (ages 21, 17, and 16) just roll their eyes and gobble down the junk. Not having the stuff in the house doesn't work because my husband does the grocery shopping and will buy it anyway. I am not at all tempted by the fake mac and cheese or processed junk, but the homemade banana bread smelled amazing!

I'm doing the best I can but refuse to beat myself up if I find out my coconut milk has a preservative in it. I know that if I feel like I am completely depriving myself for 30 days, then I will do a 360 at the end of the 30 days and go back to my old habits. I would rather feel like I can be "reasonable" with my choices once my Whole30 is complete. Does this make sense?

Joanna, a gentle (or not-so-gentle) reminder that if you choose to consume coconut milk with non-compliant additives, then you are NOT doing a Whole30.  You are doing a very close to Whole30.  Still better than the way you were eating before, but still not a Whole30.  The program is very clear on this.  Sorry to be tough on this (maybe I'm just bitter because I had to give up coconut milk for 30 days, too).  It's only 30 days.  Why set yourself up for anything less than optimal, if you're giving up everything else anyway?

FYI - I'm on day 2, post-Whole30 and I just put coconut milk in my coffee, to see how the sulfites impact me.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Archived