SimpleNotEasy's Whole 30 Log December 2015

SimpleNotEasy

littleg - 

I take Mg at night, too. I agree - it is really helpful, as is another supplement I take called Kavinace. It has a form of a B vitamin that my body needs and taurine. 

Anxiety about Christmas dinner... the roast I usually buy from Costco is not available this year. Which is ok bc it likely has unapproved items in the marinade. Probably soy and sugar at the minimum. But I've been considering what to cook instead. I posted on Facebook, asking for ideas and got several good ones. Then my mom responded by complimenting my friends who gave me ideas. She didn't mean it as a slam on me, but that was what it felt like. Coupled with the fact that she rarely compliments me on anything - it just didn't feel good to read. Anyway, I think I've decided on this http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/food-wine/latest-recipes/20141216-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.ece

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to try Crio Bru badly!!! But, I thought Chocolate contained a small amount of Caffeine?

I worked in the Fraud Department at Citibank for 2 years. While the algorithms are not fail proof, I do  find it astounding they didn't stop the card WAY before $40k!!!!! That's insane! and they DO pursue people if it's an actual person with a tampered with card. The times it's much more difficult are when it's all internet use and they just got the number. It could be anywhere in the world, but Citi did have a VERY specific department that ONLY did this.

I want to try Crio Bru badly!!! But, I thought Chocolate contained a small amount of Caffeine?

It does, but less than a cup of decaf coffee.  The stimulant in Crio Bru is Theobromine.  Much milder onset, longer lasting, and less addictive than caffeine.  Ya'll, I should be making commission from Crio Bru!  :)

I worked in the Fraud Department at Citibank for 2 years. While the algorithms are not fail proof, I do  find it astounding they didn't stop the card WAY before $40k!!!!! That's insane! and they DO pursue people if it's an actual person with a tampered with card. The times it's much more difficult are when it's all internet use and they just got the number. It could be anywhere in the world, but Citi did have a VERY specific department that ONLY did this.

I know right? We've been alerted before with just one unusual charge for around $1000, so it's truly odd that our account wasn't flagged much sooner. It will be interesting to see what happens from here. All but one of the purchases the thief made were in person, so it seems like security footage from the stores would help to id the thief. I guess he/she made a new card with our info that got skimmed since we're still in possession of our original cards.

I hope you love it! What kind did you get?

I really hope I'm not talking this stuff up too much. :)

I looked it up on Amazon, but I already spend a chunk of money on coffee, so I guess I won't buy it at the moment. But I'm glad that you have a treat that you love! Do you brew it using a French press or another method?

So I messed up again today. I ate the rest of the stupid salted almonds. I ate so many (probably a cup's worth) that I am not at all hungry to eat a template lunch meal. I think I was trying to numb myself after an anxiety-riddled morning. Rats. I wish I had not done that to myself.

I notice that I am irritable and overly sensitive at the moment. I have identified stress and PMS as potential causes. Also a very poor night of sleep.

First, it was the FB thing with my mom (see earlier post from today) & a little later this morning a friend texted me something that set me off. She also did not mean what she wrote as a criticism of me, but it really and truly felt as if that was what she meant. She's a very close friend, so I went ahead and told her how I felt afterward (& made it clear that I knew it was me, not her). She was kind in her response and affirmed that she had in no way meant to offend me. 

Ugh. I think I'm going to go lie down for a 20 minutes to see if I can nap.

I notice that I am irritable and overly sensitive at the moment. I have identified stress and PMS as potential causes. Also a very poor night of sleep.

First, it was the FB thing with my mom (see earlier post from today) & a little later this morning a friend texted me something that set me off. She also did not mean what she wrote as a criticism of me, but it really and truly felt as if that was what she meant. She's a very close friend, so I went ahead and told her how I felt afterward (& made it clear that I knew it was me, not her). She was kind in her response and affirmed that she had in no way meant to offend me. 

Ugh. I think I'm going to go lie down for a 20 minutes to see if I can nap.

I'm sorry you're not feeling your best. As ladies, we all have days like those. Stupid hormones...

Don't beat yourself up for having some nuts earlier. Was it ideal? Maybe not. But are you a terrible person? No way! You might have missed a template meal, but you'll get your appetite back, I'm sure of it!

A nap sounds like a good idea. When I am feeling sensitive, I need solitude. I mean no offense to those around me, but I just want to be left alone when I am feeling extra sensitive! So yes, curl up in bed, get a cup of hot tea, read a good book, watch a cute Hallmark movie (aren't those the best?!), and I hope you feel better soon! <3

Thanks, Ali, for your compassionate response. I slept for about 30 minutes and it felt so.good! I can't spend the rest of the afternoon just vegging, but that is ok. We're going to friends' house for dinner, so I am navigating more social situations.

I had a funny experience at Costco today while buying prime rib. There was kind of a line happening in the meat section (not typical) and when I walked up, the people in line looked at me and said, "Ten minutes." I asked for what. They said for more bone-in prime ribs. So then all these funny little conversations happened. One gal asked me if I had ever made it before. I said no. Another offered her recipe that she's made for the last 6 years and it has turned out perfect. She handed me her phone to type in my email! And explained it to me in detail. So kind. Then a friend walked up who I had seen at a different grocery store yesterday and asked if I had decided on a meat dish yet. Then we all went to the butcher's window to see about where the roasts were. The butcher ended up taking our orders one by one! It was bonding over Christmas dinner meat shopping. I am the proud owner of a 12 lb bone-in standing prime rib roast! Let's hope I don't mess it up. Not sure if I will make the recipe my sister-in-law recommended or the one from my new friend at Costco.  :D

Off to figure out cutting a pomegranate! 

Just throwing this out there -- another thing to ponder and maybe just be aware of.

Almonds are the ONLY nut/seed that are excluded from Stage 1 of my son's Feingold program -- which eliminates foods that are high in salicylates.  If you find that you feel irritable or sad after consuming them in large quantities like this -- you may be sensitive.  Many people are without ever realizing it.

I can't tell you how many moms I have seen on the Feingold board say that they started the program for their child, and in the process they learned that they, themselves needed it -- sometimes even more than their child does.  Eye-opening, for sure.

I had a little nut fail yesterday, too.  I took an extended lunch hour (so much so that I decided I had better call it a half day of vacation) and tried and failed miserably to get my husband the ONE thing he asked for for Christmas.  He had sent me a link earlier in the week with all of the retailers in South Korea that supposedly carry the product.  Since so many of them are local, I didn't sweat it.  Big mistake.  It wasn't just that it was sold out, most places had never even heard of it. It's likely that the stores up in Seoul might have carried it, but not in my city.  Had I known I couldn't just pick it up in person, I could have ordered it online and had it shipped in time for Christmas.  Now I'm contemplating getting it shipped anyway, and having it show up next week.

I tried to be ready for the shopping - I ate a packet of coconut butter on the way there and had an Epic bar in my purse.  4 hours later, I had the Epic bar but I was so bummed out that when I got back to the office, I ended up having a few ounces of mixed salted nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews & walnuts) and a pear.  It wasn't a crazy-sized serving, but I didn't feel calm/"in control" (and you know I hate that phrase - let's call it "I didn't feel that I was eating in a way that was trusting my true instincts").  Only after Whole30 would I feel guilty about nuts and fruit for a snack.  I guess it wasn't so much the food itself; it was the manner of eating it.  That's good Whole30 insight.  At any rate, I still had a template supper and decided NOT to make the Paleo gingerbread cookies from the dough that has been languishing in my fridge since Sunday.  That would have been a bad move on top of the nuts and fruit.  And honestly, I went to bed satisfied.  Baby steps of progress!

All in all, I didn't feel good about yesterday.  And work continues to be insane - I was hoping for a more mellow week this week. I had zero energy to wrap presents last night, so it's going to be a scramble tonight.

However, today is off to a much better start.  I got through some critical files this morning.  And a co-worker stopped by my desk with a present for me: a fair trade, organic dark chocolate bar.  Only ingredients are cocoa beans, cocoa butter, raw cane syrup and vanilla beans.  In case you wonder whether your co-workers notice your Whole30, they do.  I also heard that management is letting us go as early as 2pm today so maybe I can get a jump on present-wrapping!

P.S. - I totally skipped the Whole30 no-snaking rule and indulged (since I'm wild and crazy post-Whole30).  I had coffee with COMPLIANT coconut milk and 3 squares of the dark chocolate.  Oh my.  But I was totally satisfied with the three squares and didn't suddenly start prowling the office for sugar!  Hooray!

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

Cheers,

-Lauren

Day 26

Hi Everyone - 

I've been MIA. The 24th and 25th were such full days with Christmas prep and family in town. On the 24th, my fitbit told me that I took around 16,000 steps! I was on my feet most of the day and I started the day with a nice walk with my pup and 2 human friends. I stayed on track with my Whole 30 and am enjoying feeling healthy and not experiencing any type of food hangover. My belly even feels flat! Probably not too many people can say that the morning after Christmas.  :)

Yesterday I felt a little bit "snack-y" but I addressed that with some olives as an appetizer and some coconut butter at a different point. 

I've been thinking about my plans post Whole 30... I think I will go through a formal re-intro process since I haven't done that after my other Whole 30's. Time to pull out ISWF and go back to some of the online articles to review the process. 

I forgot to mention that my Prime Rib standing roast came out pretty delicious. What I discovered is that I should have asked for a sharp carving knife and steak knives for Christmas. Maybe I will hit someplace like Home Goods, TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning and see if I can find some for a good price.  :)

So I was writing a few minutes ago over on Ali's blog about the issue of believing that I am an abstainer (not a moderator) and what to do post-Whole 30 regarding particular foods such as sugar (not necessarily the small amount in a marinade, but rather the kind that is clearly a primary ingredient in a dessert, for example) and alcohol. Other things, too, like tortilla chips. I wonder about saving them for only very special occasions (just a few times per year). I know that I would feel better. But my mind is kind of rebelling against this. I do love the IDEA of moderation and/or a balanced life. However, I'm just not sure how that can work for me personally. I tend to rock a Whole 30 or any number of other programs. It's when I try to "ride my own bike" that I run into more problems.

In the past 12 years (I feel a little like a flake to admit all of this), I have tried several different approaches to eating and exercising. Body for Life taught me to lift weights, do HIIT and gave me the idea to eat 6 smaller meals of a protein and a carb, Precision Nutrition coaching which included awesome weight training and HIIT and taught me habits such as eating a vegetable at every meal, doing triathlons was another (short ones), running a marathon was another. Somewhere in the triathlon years, I tried going vegan! There are probably several I have forgotten. All of these approaches taught me something. Most of them helped me to lose some weight for a season. But I have also ended up gaining weight at different points when I wasn't following a specific plan. When I tried going vegan, I gained weight even when I was eating like that. Makes sense to me now.

Anyway, at first, it was all about losing weight. I had 4 children in 7 years and I was ready to move out of the child bearing years and body. It has evolved to being about a lot more than being thin or even being fit. Now although I still want to look good, it's more about my mental/emotional health. And aging well, too. What I want at this point is sustainability. Maybe for me, keeping to a pretty specific way of eating actually helps me toward sustainability. When I try to moderate, I just seem to end up back in a cycle of emotional eating and not moving toward better health.

Just processing here. I'm open to hearing your feedback/thoughts if you have some for me. 

Sara, the post I just made on Alison's log applies to you, as well. 

Really think about WHY you feel attached to tortilla chips.  ...There is no reasonable explanation.  It all comes down to addiction and what these foods are doing to our brains.

When I try to moderate, I just seem to end up back in a cycle of emotional eating and not moving toward better health.

This is because you are trying to moderate foods that you think you "should" be able to have once in awhile -- but that are completely unnatural to the human body.

Really think about all that it takes to create a tortilla chip.  ...EVER found in nature?  Umm, no.   :)

True success and food freedom requires a complete change in thinking.

Such good points, Brewer. 

Something else you said on Ali's log:

littleg, I have not read his stuff. I have read several other books about the brain and the nature of addiction.

The ones that finally helped me quit smoking for good was Allen Carr's book -- The Easy Way to a Stop Smoking -- and at the time, they had even made a little DS game that went with it. It had questions to answer and little games to play each day.

Much of what is said in that book and game applies to food, as well. He was really good at making you look at things *in a different light*.

The part you said about hope/relief -- YES -- that is what I meant about peace and food freedom. Having the struggle be gone. Where it's no longer an issue.

In the beginning -- it IS a choice you have to make one meal or snack at a time. You have to battle those sugar cravings and urges to binge, JUST like they pop up for a cigarette. You have made a forever decision -- because you never want to go back to how you were feeling -- but it does take a shift in thinking that takes a little while to become effortless.

I never crave a cigarette anymore. And I know I will never go back. It is different than every other time in my life that I've quit, because I finally got to the point where I fully understood what was going on and could see it for what it really was.

A big part, in any of this, is being able to take that addictive behavior out, put it down on your dining room table, and really examine it. No one wants to admit that they are not in control of their own decisions -- that makes us feel bad. But you HAVE to. That is a key step in being able to take that power back, and hold your head high because you have conquered the addiction.

I think in the past, I have always tried to skirt around the issue that this essentially comes down to addiction. I have not wanted to admit that I don't have control over myself with regard to sugar (it comes in so many forms - processed carbs, desserts, alcohol). So with this Whole 30, I seem to be at a place of greater self-awareness and honesty. The reason I can't moderate sugar is because I am addicted to it. Therefore, I must move forward with a sobriety mindset if I am going to do anything other than slide back down the slippery slope of addiction.

I feel a true sense of hope! I have loved living in freedom these past 27 days. The endless cycle of eating or drinking more than I intended has stopped for the most part. Nuts are still a danger area, especially salted ones. I'm not going back. This is my choice. I CAN eat or drink whatever I choose. I CHOOSE to move forward from this point by committing to choosing options which promote my best health. This means whole, unprocessed foods - meats and veggies and fats like olives and coconut milk and their oils.

I think in the past, I have always tried to skirt around the issue that this essentially comes down to addiction. I have not wanted to admit that I don't have control over myself with regard to sugar (it comes in so many forms - processed carbs, desserts, alcohol). So with this Whole 30, I seem to be at a place of greater self-awareness and honesty. The reason I can't moderate sugar is because I am addicted to it. Therefore, I must move forward with a sobriety mindset if I am going to do anything other than slide back down the slippery slope of addiction.

I feel a true sense of hope! I have loved living in freedom these past 27 days. The endless cycle of eating or drinking more than I intended has stopped for the most part. Nuts are still a danger area, especially salted ones. I'm not going back. This is my choice. I CAN eat or drink whatever I choose. I CHOOSE to move forward from this point by committing to choosing options which promote my best health. This means whole, unprocessed foods - meats and veggies and fats like olives and coconut milk and their oils.

I love your sense of hope!! Love it! Hooray for you! I am feeling the same way now too. Instead of thinking I can prop up my sugar dragon with 'healthier' paleo treats, I am thinking I am just going to cut off the dragon's food supply once and for all. Instead of figuring out which types of sugar I can technically eat to still be considered paleo, and how often I can have sweets in order to keep my sugar dragon at least partially at bay, I am saying--NO MORE! Cut off! Done! FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM!!!!!!! (You can envision me with my face painted blue, wearing a kilt if you want. ;) )

Yes, this is 100% me! I have a feeling this is a lot of people, but they are either in denial or have some other defenses set up that either don't allow them to see their addiction or don't allow them to admit to it even if it's staring them in the face. Even starting out this Whole 30, I knew that sugar was bad for me and promoted cravings and binges and nothing good (besides the taste), but was I addicted to it? Of course not. But now, 30 days later I can look back honestly and say that OHMYGOSH & HOLYCRAP yes I was addicted to sugar! (Duh, Ali...)

This program is about so much more than getting your body clean and figuring out which foods are good or bad for your body. It is about figuring out the why's and reasons behind food choices. It's about self-reflection and honest introspection. The scary stuff. You guys, I feel like I have learned so much in just the past 24 hours. I learned a ton during the entire Whole 30, but I think I have gotten to the heart of my problem, just in the past day. The heart is sugar addiction and needing to avoid trigger foods and actions associated with it (baking and looking up recipes for me).

Breakthroughs and light bulbs all around! Hurrah! :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I have a question ladies... I've really enjoyed the support on here but find keeping up with so many logs is hard and then I feel bad about missing stuff... Brewer and Karen did a joint log a while back and I was thinking maybe we could do that...  Any interest in just doing 1 post W30 log together working on this common sugar addiction beat-down?  

I have a question ladies... I've really enjoyed the support on here but find keeping up with so many logs is hard and then I feel bad about missing stuff... Brewer and Karen did a joint log a while back and I was thinking maybe we could do that...  Any interest in just doing 1 post W30 log together working on this common sugar addiction beat-down?

In.

I'm in. This is a really good idea. Two thumbs up!

I love your sense of hope!! Love it! Hooray for you! I am feeling the same way now too. Instead of thinking I can prop up my sugar dragon with 'healthier' paleo treats, I am thinking I am just going to cut off the dragon's food supply once and for all. Instead of figuring out which types of sugar I can technically eat to still be considered paleo, and how often I can have sweets in order to keep my sugar dragon at least partially at bay, I am saying--NO MORE! Cut off! Done! FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM!!!!!!! (You can envision me with my face painted blue, wearing a kilt if you want. ;) )

Yes, this is 100% me! I have a feeling this is a lot of people, but they are either in denial or have some other defenses set up that either don't allow them to see their addiction or don't allow them to admit to it even if it's staring them in the face. Even starting out this Whole 30, I knew that sugar was bad for me and promoted cravings and binges and nothing good (besides the taste), but was I addicted to it? Of course not. But now, 30 days later I can look back honestly and say that OHMYGOSH & HOLYCRAP yes I was addicted to sugar! (Duh, Ali...)

This program is about so much more than getting your body clean and figuring out which foods are good or bad for your body. It is about figuring out the why's and reasons behind food choices. It's about self-reflection and honest introspection. The scary stuff. You guys, I feel like I have learned so much in just the past 24 hours. I learned a ton during the entire Whole 30, but I think I have gotten to the heart of my problem, just in the past day. The heart is sugar addiction and needing to avoid trigger foods and actions associated with it (baking and looking up recipes for me).

Breakthroughs and light bulbs all around! Hurrah! :)

Yes! Amen to this. Honest introspection and facing the scary stuff. Isn't it interesting that the way this has happened is within the COMMUNITY aspect of the Whole 30 Forums? I don't think I would have reached these conclusions without discussing all of this with y'all. I'm so grateful to have you, my new friends. And all are welcome to chime in. Anyone who is reading this & wants to face the scary stuff can do it with us. :) 

Shall we come up with a fun name? Lions and tigers and bears, oh my? Follow the Yellow Brick Road? :)

Yes! Amen to this. Honest introspection and facing the scary stuff. Isn't it interesting that the way this has happened is within the COMMUNITY aspect of the Whole 30 Forums? I don't think I would have reached these conclusions without discussing all of this with y'all.

Totally agree.

Archived