SimpleNotEasy's Whole 30 Log December 2015

SimpleNotEasy

I did not reintro foods I never planned on eating again. I skipped beans, soy, gluten, and most grains.

why put yourself through that if you don't plan on eating them?

(edit: just now saw you aren't following that now)

Good luck with whatever you decide! Just think LONG and hard before you eat something "Is this really worth it?"

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Yeah Day 30!  I'm sure you will figure out reintroductions that make sense for you and your life going forward :)

I totally love the walking idea.  I tried selling that to my husband a while ago because I was bothered by our nightly ritual of going straight from dinner to the sofa to watch "our" show.  He didn't go for it.  We live in medium sized city in UPSNY and he is a country boy at heart and is convinced we will be shot if we go for walks...  :rolleyes:  

I use Flickr for pictures.  Maybe more complicated... it took me a while (and some help on this forum) to figure it out.  Here is a tutorial :)

Download the Flickr app to your phone.  Take a picture and send it to flickr.  

23699206119_06ae550497_n.jpg

Then post it on Flickr.  

23984442581_4d1803fc92_n.jpg

Once on Flickr (you'll have to create an account) you have to choose the photo from your camera roll (that double headed white arrow)

23440256173_30d382abe2_n.jpg

Once you've selected the photo you have to "share it" by pressing on that arrow

23771361990_4eaa8d919f_n.jpg

Choose BBC mode and the size you want

23771366360_1fe9f0fe55_n.jpg

Then you copy and paste that link into the text of your message on here.  I delete everything except for what is between the brackets because otherwise people can link back to your whole account.

Thanks, Laura, for the tutorial on using Flickr to post photos. I guess I need to decide if I want to post photos very often or not. Seems like a lotta trouble. :)

I really must get off my duff and go to the grocery store. I need grass-fed beef and Whole Foods was out last night when I popped in there.

Hoping to take the kids to see the new Star Wars movie today.  

Congratulations on Day 30!!! Go Sara! You did it!

I know you have come up with a reintro plan, but I have some thoughts (are you surprised? ;) )

1. For the reintro plan you originally made: if you were planning on eating those foods in your future, I'd say that's great to reintro them systematically. However, as has already been said, if you're not planning on eating them, why reintro them just for the heck of it?

2. For the reintro plan you originally made: reintroducing lots of similar foods in one day can create a snowball effect, and it might be hard to tell which food caused which symptom, and if you have a symptom from a food you eat early in the day, that will complicate things later in the day, and even make the reintro less fun. After a previous Whole 30 I decided to reintro dairy in one day. I had milk with breakfast, yogurt with lunch, cheese with dinner, and ice cream after dinner. About 30 minutes after drinking the milk I was so bloated that it was hard to determine the effects of the remainder of the day's foods. I did the full reintro day anyway because I already bought the food and had a plan, but it was kindof a waste.

3. If you do a scheduled reintro like that, you might be reintroducing things with more Whole 30 days in between because of residual effects from the reintroduced foods. It's hard to schedule everything without much wiggle room.

4. I am more of a fan of the slow roll reintro, where you choose to eat foods when they come up, not just because you schedule a reintro day. That way you can continue with your whole 30 goodness until you really want to off-road, and not just because it's time for dairy reintro.

Wo-hoo! I completed a Whole 30 during the month of December!!! Yes, it can be done, and for me this year, it was the BEST thing I could possibly have done for myself. 

Benefits I have observed:

1. I began to feel more emotionally upbeat immediately upon deciding to do a Whole 30 and continued to feel good emotionally throughout the month as I succeeded. As I look back at myself during October and November, it is like looking at a different person. I started in a low place and am ending feeling optimistic and certain that I can move forward in health.

2. Due to the conversations here in this community on the forums, I recognized that I have an addiction to sugar and that it is of primary importance that I not reawaken the sugar dragon as I go forward. I must comment that the absence of sugar in my system allowed for the clarity of thought to be able to gain this understanding as I processed through multiple discussions about being a moderator vs. abstainer and addiction.

3. My belly flattened (loss of bloat) within the first few days.

4. My sleep improved a little bit.

5. My PMS symptoms improved a little bit.

6. I lost an inch at my belly button and 6 lbs of scale weight. I almost did not want to list this, because although I am happy about it, numbers 1 & 2 above are so  much more significant to me and I don't want those to be overlooked and to get boiled down to the weight loss.

Regarding reintos, I have realized that I have no need to follow the schedule that I wrote out the other day. 

-Since starchy carbs = sugar, that eliminates my need to reintro gluten and non-gluten grains as well as most legumes.

-Since red wine = sugar, I have no need to reintro red wine.

-That leaves possibly reintros with dairy, if I want to confirm that it contributes to depression for me (which I suspect). I may do that in a few days.

I may try eating a dusting of cheese on a salad at a couple of meals one day to test out whether that is enough to cause me problems. Sometimes when eating out or at a friend's house, there is parmesan on a salad, and although I try to avoid this, it would be good to know whether I can tolerate this much dairy or not.

-Another aspect of dairy to test for the same reason would be cooking some foods in butter on a different day.

-I want to try ordering a favorite salad that has meat marinated with something that includes soy to evaluate whether that amount of soy is enough to affect me.

-Finally, I may try a reintro of peanut butter, just because I like it and I'd like to know if I can tolerate it.

What I am considering is essentially eating Whole 30 style going forward, but a little more relaxed. So if the salad with the meat that has a bit of soy isn't an issue, I can eat that, etc. I may try a NorCal Margarita (Robb Wolf) to see if I can enjoy one of those on a special occasion. I'm also considering going back to eating for ketosis, but I need to do further research to find out about supplementing with biotin and Vitamin C to prevent hair loss. What I have read so far makes me not sure if I am willing to risk the side effects of biotin, so I need to talk to a nutritionist I know about this as well as do some more reading.

I will be posting over at the Sugar Dragon Slayers (linked in my profile) thread in the future. Join me, Ali, Lauren and Laura as we continue to explore a full, healthy, happy life without sugar! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Yeah NSV #1!  I think your reintros make a lot of sense.  Just a bit of grated parm or cheddar on a salad seems pretty common so totally worth investigating.  And well, peanut butter - that goes without saying :)  Soy though... maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I just don't read anything good about soy - can you post that recipe?  - maybe we can tweak the recipe!

I'm off to pick up Keto Clarity from the library - we have discussing to do and I want to be prepared!  

Are y'all familiar with the idea of looking at whether you are a moderator or an abstainer? Moderators are people who (when not on a Whole 30) could have ONE cookie, or ONE serving of tortilla chips or ONE glass of wine and move on with their life. Abstainers are people who can eat really healthy as long as they choose not to eat ANY of the things that awaken the sugar demon. I have had a health coach tell me to strive for moderation and to explore the gray area, because "health lives in the gray area" and "too much restriction cannot last." However, I find that I don't really moderate very well. This is probably why I like Whole 30 so much. Abstaining works well for me. Moderating, not so much. I wonder if I could change this about myself or if it is more permanent - maybe having to do with brain chemistry or the like.

Gretchen Rubin's Happiness blog has a lot of articles and quizzes related to this. I too, am an abstainer. I'm sad about this. I'd like to be a person who can moderate. But I'm not. I have to come to terms with that and stop testing it again and again.

Archived