Raven526 Log: First Whole30

raven526

Hello fellow Whole30ers! I introduced myself earlier on the newbie thread but hello again! I'm Raven and this is my first Whole30. 

So far the day is going well. The morning only sucked cause I was up about an hour earlier then I usually am. I had a bit of headache but I drank more water and took Advil and it has disappeared. I'm excited to head home and cook dinner and to have kicked Day 1's butt :)

Today's entry is a bit short but I'm sure other days will be much longer haha

Meal 1:

Baked Eggs (two eggs, two slices of uncured & sugar-free bacon, half cup of spinach, and half cup of mushrooms)

1 Cup of roasted sweet potatoes with garlic and EVOO

Meal 2:

Bacon Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

2 cups of roasted cauliflower & broccoli with garlic and EVOO

Snack:

half an apple with almond butter

I've also packed pecans for the car ride home BUT I'm hoping that my apples will hold me till 6:30 when I eat

Dinner:

Salmon with a poached egg

Roasted asparagus and Brussel sprouts with garlic & EVOO

I've also had about three cups of coffee. Drinking it black is not as hard as I thought it would be!

Day 2. Holy crap. I actually survived Day 1. And it went really well!!! I enjoyed everything I ate yesterday and dinner kept me so satisfied that I had no desire to snack before bed. I never ate my pecans last night :) I was good until dinner... But I scarfed down my dinner way too fast haha....

Day 2.... is going.... this morning was a struggle mainly because of breakfast. But I ate like 3/4's of it so I'm okay with that. I need to plan for more diverse breakfasts next week. But I wasn't hungry before noon. I've gotten hungry this afternoon though. But I think that is because I didn't finish my lunch. I made a hollandaise sauce that just left me feeling gross and it was all over my food. I left a few bites of salmon and asparagus. I snacked on a Halo and half a handful of cashews. Still a bit hungry so I will most likely finish the cashews on the way home, especially since DH and I play in dodgeball league on Tuesday nights....

Meal 1:

Four egg fritatta (its how many I can fit in my hand... is that too much?!) with .5 cup each of spinach, mushrooms, and onions

1 cup of grape tomatoes with EVOO, basil, and garlic

Meal 2:

Leftover salmon and asparagus with hollandaise sauce

Broccoli roasted in coconut aminos and rice vinegar

Snack:

2 Halos (I've eaten one)

Handful of cashews 

Meal 3:

Cracklin Chicken

Arugula & Pear Salad (EVOO & Balsamic as the dressing)

Avocado (not sure if it will be half or whole yet.... might save half for when I get home from dodgeball)

Just poured my third cup of coffee and have had 32 oz of water and a 12 oz can of seltzer. I know I need to stop the snacking so I need to figure out a way for my lunch to keep me satisfied...

Hi Raven - welcome!  I'm doing my first Whole30, too.  Sounds like you're off to a great start.  To answer your question, if you can hold 4 eggs in your hand and that breakfast keeps you full until lunch, it sounds just perfect.

Your lunch, however, needs to be bigger, if you're feeling the need to snack mid-afternoon.  You really want to make sure that every meal keeps you full until the next.  If you absolutely need to eat between meals, it is recommended to have a mini-meal that follows the template (protein/fat/carbs) and definitely NOT just fruit or nuts because 1) the fruit can spike your blood sugar and cause the sensation of hunger and 2) nuts are hard on the digestive system and are not an optimal source of fats.  I had to learn this the hard way - in my first week my go-to snack was a Larabar (fruit and nuts!) or an apple with almond butter.  Not anymore!

Good luck!

-Lauren (GGG)

Lauren!

Thank you for this!! I thought nuts would be okay. They definitely hold me. But I understand what you're saying. Good to know :) I'm headed to a spin class today (FlyWheel, similar to SoulCycle) and I have apples and turkey with me but remembered that fruits pre-wo are not encouraged so was planning on just the turkey.

Cravings for non compliant food has set in so I've been snacking on my lunch all afternoon. 

Day 3.... Hmmm..

There are definitely mixed emotions about this day. I woke up feeling great, just a little sleepy. Made a breakfast I was super happy with. Lunch time rolled around and the "what the heck am I doing" feelings set in and I haven't fully gotten rid of them. The timeline said today would be hard... They weren't lying. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the past two days.

Headed to my first whole30 work tonight. I was excited it for it this morning and now I'm trying to say I can take the cancelation fee. But if I get through that class, I'm headed home to steak and a starchy carb. Then I'm hopping in a bubble bath with a cup of tea and going to bed early. Maybe tomorrow will be better?

OH! But I do want to celebrate the fact that I went to a bar last night and did not drink :D It's probably good that I'm not going tonight though haha...

Meal 1:

3 cups of mixed kale, arugula, and spinach

ground chicken

1/4 of an avocado

roasted cauliflower

tessamae's ranch dressing

Meal 2:

roast cauliflower (the double cauliflower might of been my downfall)

leftover chicken thigh

2 cups of mixed greens

Handful of almonds

homemade balsamic dressing

Pre WO:

Turkey leftover from thanksgiving

Meal 3:

Double portion of steak (post -wo portion) & garlic/shallot puree from the book

mini potatoes baked with ghee and thyme

grilled avocado

I'll be heading to a spin class tonight. It's 45 minutes. If someone has thoughts on pre and post wo snacks, let me know. Thanks!

Hey Raven,

I work out on a regular basis (mostly strength training but also mixed intervals with cardio, and the pre- and post-WO recommendations are the same regardless of the type of activity).  I've had really good experience with 1/2 baked chicken breast pre-WO (I was shocked that this was sufficient fuel, especially when I'm doing a lot of running, but it is!  I came from the camp that thought you needed to eat carbs pre-workout to provide a fuel source for the body).  I've also done workouts "fasted" (either first thing in the morning on an empty stomach) or several hours after a template meal.

My body adapted reasonably quickly (I had a few lacklustre workouts in the first week or so) to burning stored body fat for fuel vs. using carbs.  I also find it helpful to avoid starchy carbs and more than 1/2 serving of fruit at breakfast, otherwise my body will use those for workout fuel.  The less you give your body carbs as fuel, the faster it will learn to efficiently find other fuel sources, IMHO.

For post-workout, I eat the other half chicken breast and a palm-sized serving of roasted squash as my starchy carb.  You might need more or less, depending on the intensity & duration of your workout, and of course on YOU as an individual.

Good luck!  And hang in there - it WILL get better!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Lauren!

Thank you for this!! I thought nuts would be okay. They definitely hold me. But I understand what you're saying. Good to know :) I'm headed to a spin class today (FlyWheel, similar to SoulCycle) and I have apples and turkey with me but remembered that fruits pre-wo are not encouraged so was planning on just the turkey.

Cravings for non compliant food has set in so I've been snacking on my lunch all afternoon. 

Stamp out your cravings with Fat Raven - nothing, and I mean NOTHING ELSE will work. Ask yourself first are you genuinely hungry, try distraction techniques like drinking a glass of water, going for a walk, re-arranging your filing system if you're in work... and if the craving doesn't pass then fat is your friend - a handful of olives, or a spoonful of oil tend to work well.

For your pre & postWO you know what foods are recommended so I'll not go into that. I WILL say however that not every work out will require both. I don't think I've ever had a preWO for a spin class for instance - but then my spin classes tend to be in the evening, so I up the protein & fat in my lunch, and then just have a few (and really, I mean a few) bites of chicken as soon as I'm done, & then head home for dinner.

Your postWO and next meal should not be combined as the fat in your meal will slow down absorption of the much needed nutrients - the window for feeding your muscles protein is relatively small so be sure to get the protein in ASAP, and then have your next meal. The window for starchy carbs is substantially longer - especially if you're doing very high intensity or endurance events in which case you can continue to take starchy carbs on board for up to 6hrs with good effect. Personally I wouldn't bother with the carbs post spin but this is something I have played around with - I've been eating this way for a long time though, see what works for you.

In short I'd say don't skip the postWO, don't combine the postWO with your next meal, and play around with the preWO to see if you really need it.

For your pre & postWO you know what foods are recommended so I'll not go into that. I WILL say however that not every work out will require both. I don't think I've ever had a preWO for a spin class for instance - but then my spin classes tend to be in the evening, so I up the protein & fat in my lunch, and then just have a few (and really, I mean a few) bites of chicken as soon as I'm done, & then head home for dinner.

Your postWO and next meal should not be combined as the fat in your meal will slow down absorption of the much needed nutrients - the window for feeding your muscles protein is relatively small so be sure to get the protein in ASAP, and then have your next meal. The window for starchy carbs is substantially longer - especially if you're doing very high intensity or endurance events in which case you can continue to take starchy carbs on board for up to 6hrs with good effect. Personally I wouldn't bother with the carbs post spin but this is something I have played around with - I've been eating this way for a long time though, see what works for you.

In short I'd say don't skip the postWO, don't combine the postWO with your next meal, and play around with the preWO to see if you really need it.

Hi there!

So I didn't really get to eat my pre-wo snack... I wasn't hungry (I think that has to do with me forcing down the cauliflower from my lunch all afternoon) plus I was running late and was just focused on getting there. But my body did not like that. I have issues with passing out (numerous things can set it off, doctors cannot pinpoint.. story for another time) but the second I got off my bike, that wonderful sensation passed over me. So either I didn't fuel properly OR it was still my body adapting to Whole30. But it was not fun after class...

With post-WO... here's the thing (maybe you can help) Class lets out around 6:30, I'm home by 7 the latest and I go right into cooking dinner. By the time I'm done cooking and eating its almost 8:30/9.... If I eat a snack then I will not be hungry for dinner and there's not a lot of time to space them out. Not sure what to do here....

For now, I'm going to keep the starchy carbs.... I'm planning on having them at most twice a week and I know after spin I can turn into a "I just worked out I can eat whatever I want" person so a potato and EVOO or ghee will help keep that person in check. Maybe that will change after a week or two :)

Your postWO should be eaten as soon as you are done - my usual routine when I  train in the morning would be train, eat, shower, drive to work, eat again, Or in the evening it'd be train, eat, go home, shower, eat again.

I do a batch cook at the weekends so I always have prepared food in my fridge so I'm not coming home to start cooking - this way I can easily fit an a shower & some food and still get to bed at a reasonable time.

As for how you felt when you got off your bike it sounds like it was from lack of fuel so try & squeeze those preWO meals in for the time being - once you are fat adpated you may well find that you don't need them. And yes, if you are restricting starchy carbs to only twice a week (please note that our recommendation would be for a fist sized serving per day unless you have blood sugar issues or are particularly sedentary) then yes, definitely inlcude them postWO.

Yo Day 4.... I'm kicking your butt!!!

Breakfast? HUGE success! I enjoyed every bite AND I finished before I left for work AND it kept me satisfied until lunchtime.

Lunch? Success number two!! Couldn't even finish it I was so full so it will be dinner before Zumba.

Moderator/Anyone jump in here.... I have a decently busy day: Work till 5... 25 - 40 minute drive to Zumba, Zumba for an hour, then a 30-40 drive to choir and then home around 9:30 and then it's bedtime... I try to get into bed no later than 10 bc I can never fall asleep, even with melatonin, very quickly and I do not do well with less than 8 hours of sleep..... 7 or less was when the bagel demon usually started appearing...

I thought I hadn't prepared for today, foodwise. But I still have my lunch (which includes half an avocado), an apple, and pecans with me... My thoughts were to finish my lunch around 4:30 (even tho as of right now, I'm not sure I'll be hungry) and then while driving to choir eat the apple and pecans. And then when I get home just eat some pork from thanksgiving.... I feel like I'm still eating healthy even though its probably not the best way to nourish my body. Oh! I also have a hard boiled egg that I grabbed when I ran out the door this morning thing I wouldn't have a proper meal this evening... And no, sadly, there's no time for me to stop or sit down anywhere between Zumba & choir.... Thursdays are usually planned time wise to the minute. I maybe have 5 minutes between changing and the time Zumba starts to breathe but I don't wanna eat right before dancing...

Other than my little food conumdrum for dinner, I am rocking today. I'm only a little sleepy but and I've enjoyed all my food choices, realizing that I can do this :D

Let's see how I feel tomorrow after running around like a crazy lady today haha

Meal 1:

1/2 rib eye & 2 Eggs

Mushrooms & onions, totaling to about a cup and a half

Meal 2:

1/2 Steak on top of 3 cups of mixed Kale & Arugula, a half a handful of almonds, 1/4 of a pear, and Tessamae's Caesar dressing

1 cup of grapes tomatoes tossed with EVOO and basil

1/2 an avocado

Meal 3:

No clue... some combination of lunch, nuts, fruit, and a hard boiled egg

Now time to find coffee :D

I do a batch cook at the weekends so I always have prepared food in my fridge so I'm not coming home to start cooking - this way I can easily fit an a shower & some food and still get to bed at a reasonable time.

I definitely took on too much last night after spin so I think I will try make ahead meals next week.

Day 8... I think I got this??

Oops. Haven't logged since Thursday! Well, Friday I stayed home because I'm pretty sure I broke myself at spin and going to Zumba did not help apparently. I was in so much pain Friday that I literally could not take a step. Luckily DH stayed home with me and together we stayed compliant. It was pretty awesome.

Woke up Saturday miraculously feeling better (I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that I could not move off the couch for an entire day.) But thank god I was feeling better as I was off to the city to spend the day with my in-laws. I walked 46 blocks, 2.3 miles. I was so nervous about staying compliant. I had to eat both lunch and dinner out but it was so much easier than I thought it would be. My family let me pick all the places we ate so I was good. And very, very proud of myself. The waiter probably thought I was crazy but I totally grilled him about the way the steak was cooked and that there was no butter on the potatoes. I did have to laugh though when the bread basket arrived. It was placed right in front of me and my mom immediately goes "oh no we need to move that, poor raven can't have any and they placed it right in front of her." I was like okay, glad you're being supportive but give me a bit of credit. I actually had no desire to put that bread in my mouth and screw this up.

Yesterday I went food shopping and kinda hated it but I'm sure this gets easier. Today, I'm doing okay. Just exhausted. I think I'm like a day behind in the timeline. yesterday I could not move from my bed, same as today. It was a fight to get me up. And I'm sure I could fall asleep right now. Happy dinner is simple tonight. I plan on taking a bath and falling right to sleep.... I am so looking forward to the gaining energy piece of the whole30...

Meal 1: that I completely ruined

Baked (rubber) eggs with spinach, onions, and mushrooms totaling three cups

bacon

Meal 2:

Chocolate Chili

Brussel Sprout and Arugula Salad

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Meal 3:

Sage Pork Chops seared in ghee

Balsamic Roasted Carrots & Asparagus

You're still killing this, Raven!  Really, how can you go wrong with steak and eggs for breakfast (but add some more green veggies, too!)?

Haha Thanks! I almost missed the green veggies piece! I try to get in green veggies in at least 2 outta the three meals :)

Raven, other than your breakfast today your meals look a little light on fat to me - bear in mind that the fat you use for cooking/searing etc mostly stays in the pan so don't be afraid to add more to your plate - this will really help with your energy levels...

Well done on navigating your day in the city  :)

Raven, other than your breakfast today your meals look a little light on fat to me - bear in mind that the fat you use for cooking/searing etc mostly stays in the pan so don't be afraid to add more to your plate - this wil really help with your energy levels...

Well done on navigating your day in the city  :)

Thanks!

Any recommendations on adding fat to my meals? I'm cooking in EVOO, Ghee, or Avocado Oil but don't usually add any extra once it comes out of the pan. Should I be just pouring it on when I serve?

Have you made your own mayo yet? If not that's a great addition to most meals.... (Try >this one< for size) Plus you can use it as a base for making all kinds of sauces.

Alternatively, you can add a handful of olives, drizzle some extra oil on your veg, add some coconut milk/cream to things like spinach/sweet potato etc, or maybe use nice fatty cuts of meat (I like shin & brisket done in the slow cooker).

Some people like coconut flakes but I'm not a huge fan personally, although chunks of coconut flesh work well.

Nuts are *okay* but they've a poor omega 3:6 ratio so they should only be eaten in moderation & they are notorious for causing digestive issues.

Hope this helps  :)

Hey there Raven! 

Sounds like you're going strong! Well done - that day in the city could have been really tough, but you took it on like a champ. It helps to have supportive family. 

I was dragging for a couple of days also. Especially Saturday, which I think was my day 5. Today is my day 7 and I feel better. Of course, I did not walk 46 blocks in the city over the weekend. Do you wear a Fitbit (or similar)? I love knowing how far I do walk in a day and as long as I remember to look at it, it sometimes motivates me to get a few more steps during the day to reach my 10,000/day goal.  :)

Have you made your own mayo yet? If not that's a great addition to most meals.... (Try >this one< for size) Plus you can use it as a base for making all kinds of sauces.

Alternatively, you can add a handful of olives, drizzle some extra oil on your veg, add some coconut milk/cream to things like spinach/sweet potato etc, or maybe use nice fatty cuts of meat (I like shin & brisket done in the slow cooker).

Hello! I haven't made any because I'm not a fan of mayo. I always use the least amount possible if I was making a chicken or turkey salad. Does it taste like a store bought mayo?

Right now, I've mainly been sticking with cooking with oil because I also don't like olives or coconut anything. I'm gonna have to make myself eat some of these things, aren't I?

Day 9... even though for some reason I keep saying to myself this is day 10 haha...

Honestly, not much different from yesterday. Even though all I wanted to do last night was unwind in a bubble bath. Sadly the stupid city was cleaning the pipes :( Not a happy camper...

I have dodgeball tonight but it's earlier than usual so dinner will be really late, probably not till 8... I'm gonna eat a half an avocado around 4:30... That should get me through my two games.... I have nuts and an apple in my car too as emergency snacks...

Meal 1:

4 Open Faced BBQ Bacon Sliders

Spinach and Kale Caesar Salad

Meal 2:

Baked Chicken Wings

Roasted Cauliflower (with extra EVOO)

Half an Avocado

Snack:

Half an Avocado

Meal 3:

Aidells Chicken Sausage mixed with Shredded Brussel Sprouts in a Mustard Vinaigrette (mustard, EVOO, & apple cider vinegar)

Maybe Asparagus??

I had intended to grab sushi for dinner but I didn't realize my dodgeball game was so early. So need to see what I'm in the mood for when I get home. Maybe broccoli. I have really touched that this week..

Hello! I haven't made any because I'm not a fan of mayo. I always use the least amount possible if I was making a chicken or turkey salad. Does it taste like a store bought mayo?

Right now, I've mainly been sticking with cooking with oil because I also don't like olives or coconut anything. I'm gonna have to make myself eat some of these things, aren't I?

You definitely need to eat good fat to lose fat, so yes, you'll have to find a suitable option - Home-made mayo is far superior to store bought so you might be pleasantly surprised... or have you tried adding a few spoonfuls of ghee to your veg once they're cooked? THen there's obviously the other fat sources I mentioned like fatty meat & bacon, or others like tallow, schmaltz, lard, duck fat etc....

You definitely need to eat good fat to lose fat, so yes, you'll have to find a suitable option - Home-made mayo is far superior to store bought so you might be pleasantly surprised... or have you tried adding a few spoonfuls of ghee to your veg once they're cooked? THen there's obviously the other fat sources I mentioned like fatty meat & bacon, or others like tallow, schmaltz, lard, duck fat etc....

I have been wanting to try cooking with duck fat...

You know before Whole30, I wouldn't have hesitated to throw butter on things... I don't know why I'm not doing that now... I had some really dry potatoes over the weekend...  I also heard that bearnaise sauce is made with ghee... hmm to make that or a chimichurri sauce to go with my skirt steak Friday...

Thank you! You've given me ideas :)

Archived