I couldn't find a thred for a January 1st start date so here it goes! I'm doing my research, reading the Whole 30 book cover to cover, making recipe cards and ordering compliant sauces and condiments little by little this month! I am still recovering from arthroscopic hip surgery from last month so I have not been able to grocery shop for myself for almost a month or I would have started already! I'm taking this time to familiarize myself with ingredient labels and where compliant foods are located. Also trying compliant recipes out here and there to get myself ready! Nervous and excited for a huge change in my life! My toddler who eats off my plate which is mostly health to begin with, will be enjoying most of what I eat on my whole 30. He is my biggest reason I want to do this so my healthy habits (and dads) will be instilled in him! Hope everyone has a wonderful December, enjoy those holidays and share any tips or preparations you are making or have done in the past!!! I'm going to be using some essential oils to assist with sugar cravings! I read fennel and grapefruit are helpful to inhale to take your mind off the sugar dragon!!

Good luck! I wish I could start January 1, but I'm flying to Florida with girlfriends that day and I don't want to overly deprive myself that week! Though I will eat as well as I can that week too, I'm planning to start Whole30 when I get back, around January 10. In the meantime, I'm doing like you--prepping, researching, stocking up and figuring out what my local grocery stores carry and what I need to drive an hour to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Costco for. I'm also doing a "Whole14" as much as I can right now, which I started Nov. 29 and will keep up until we host a neighborhood Christmas party on the 12th. I gave up sugar in November, and that has helped tremendously with this shift. I feel so much less "starving" and "hangry" when I don't eat sugar! (The only other time I've been successful at that in my 45 years of life was last spring, when I did it for 40 days and felt great.)

One thing that helped me get over sugar was replacing it with fruit whenever I wanted something sweet--especially a Medjool date or two instead of my usual dark chocolate squares. It really helped, and I know it's not in the spirit of Whole30, but as you prepare you might want to consider that. Then when you start the Whole30, it will be even easier to cut back on the fruit if needed and the sugar cravings will be (largely) easier to handle in general.

The biggest switch for me now is all the meat and eggs that Whole30 calls for. I'm getting accustomed to 2-3 eggs in the morning, or homemade sausage patties from clean ground pork, etc. Plus meat or eggs at every other meal too. We have some vegetarian tendencies in our house since my husband was veg. for years, so this is a new mindset. But I do feel great getting all that protein.

Anyway, good luck to you in January--and through the holidays as you prepare. I'll be joining in shortly after you!

I am starting January 1st, too!  My boyfriends is joining in.  That oughtta make it a little easier.  I think the biggest struggle for me will be giving up dairy.  I LOVE it.  Other than that, it is pretty close to my current diet.  I don't eat many grains or a lot of sugar, dark chocolate on ocassion.  My 40th birthday is in February and I always dreamed I'd be at my healthiest on that date.  So here goes!  I hope to hear more from you along your journey.

My husband and I are starting 1 Jan as well.  We're kind of going crazy adding in two a days.  He already does group PT at work so I'm going to be doing a c25k thing and in the evenings we'll be doing p90 (the one before p90x) together.  Neither of us are over weight.  I'm not very toned though and that's what I'm going for.  Hoping whole30 will help me make healthy food choices while we're kicking up the work outs! :) 

I'm starting 1/1/16 as well! I do not want another crappy year to look back on. Hopefully my husband will join me, we have talked a lot about it and believe we both will have much better health if we do this! So I will be working on being prepared, cause if I just try to jump in the 1st, I will be in trouble! Good luck everyone!

Hi all, SGFC here.

I did my first Whole30 late last spring and am preparing to start another Jan 1. Looking forward to another month of clean eating.

This time, I am going to focus on trying 2 recipes per week out of the Whole30 book and Well Fed. Last time, I did well with eating clean and per template, but I tended to have the same ~30 ingredients on hand all the time and since I was just "winging it" with each meal, all my days started to feel very boring and similar by the last 10 days.

Looking forward to being part of a big group-wide W30!

Archived