What are your non food rewards?

Jackie Haldorson

I'm starting my Whole30 Jan 1! In preparation I want to know how you seasoned veterans & maybe even Melissa herself handle that afternoon slump at 2pm. When you're tired, stressed, bored, sad . . .and pre-whole 30 would reach for the chips, gingerbread white mocha, donuts, etc. Basically what are your go to mood boosters that are accessible at the office?

Popping in to read this forum (available at some offices...)!  Having a nice mug of compliant tea.  Getting someone to tell me a joke.  Listening to an upbeat song (load your iPod and bring headphones).

Honestly, the "slumps" wear off, because you will no longer have a bloog sugar crash at 2pm.  The Whole30 lifestyle has made me (mostly) happier/in a better mood during the day.

Good luck!

-Lauren

Yep, that's the joy about Whole30 eating - there is no slump - you get nice stead energy levels throughout the day...

In the early days though, when your body is adjusting, going for a walk around the block (or to another dept if you're at the office), making a cup of herbal tea, phoning a colleague rather than emailing them... At home maybe running a bath, painting my nails, catching up on online celeb gossip....  :ph34r:

As others have said, if you follow the meal template, you won't have a slump at 2 PM. Or 3, or 4, or whenever you might have reached for a treat in the past.

I'm on Day 25 and my meals keep me satiated for hours, with a calm, steady energy all afternoon.

I also get the Whole30 daily emails, which are full of tips, information and inspiration. And each has an "I did it" link with a digital treat.

I did give myself a non food award after Day 15, which was a new pencil case for my art pencils and markers. :-)

Ooh, I like that idea, ArtFossil!  I'm on Day 15 right now (a convenient coincidence!).  Hmm...what to buy!

-Lauren (GGG)

P.S. - Honestly, when my coconut butter showed up yesterday (EARLIER than the estimated shipping date - when does THAT happen?), I did a little happy dance.  And took a packet (along with my compliant aloo gobi) to a dinner party for my dessert.  No shame. :-)

Have done two W30's this year but am not on one now. Still, I try to stay with the template. No mid morning or afternoon slump. Little Debbies used to be my vice of choice to pick me up. For the last 3 months I've been working an exhausting schedule. Discussing that with a colleague today, she commented that I don't "look tired ". Thanks W30! I'm thinking of a January 1 restart, so see you then!

Jeans.  Cowboy boots. 

Non-food rewards are the best.  You can look around and smile at folks.  When your mind's not thinking about food, you can look at everyone with new eyes.   

Funny, when food is not the focus, it's easier to overlook all of the flaws in people and love what's good about them...not picking them over or using conflict as a form of communication.

Archived