Random reintroduction questions

I am on day 32 and I have some questions. I haven't yet reintroduced anything, but last night I had a splitting headache before bed. The only thing I can think of is that in a very weak moment I fed my sugar dragon and ate two larabars in the afternoon. Could the sugar from the dates have caused the massive headache??

Also, I'm curious about things I miss in my life that are not part of the introduction schedule. For example, I'm used to chewing gum after a meal (when I'm on the go) or before a meeting or something, to freshen my breath. While on the whole 30 I stopped and was using mouthwash, but my teeth have reacted badly to that (they've turned a pale grey, it's horrible). So if I want to have gum back in my life (knowing it's not great for me) do I wait til after the proper 10 day reintroduction? Same for deli meat with non-compliant ingredients, sugar in my coffee, stuff like that? I should be 100% whole 30 for the ten days except the few items I'm reintroducing every three days?

Also (as I said, these are random!) how long does an open can of coconut milk (covered in foil) last in the fridge?

Also I bought a bag of coconut flakes at the start of my whole30 but I have yet to run across a recipe that calls for them. What should I do with them?

Question about salad. I've been told on here that for a mixed green salad I need to eat a TON - like a medium sized mixing bowl. But that just feels like so much food and my belly protrudes after a salad that big. Does that mean salad doesn't have a place in a whole 30 program? What about my post-whole30 life? If I don't eat a huge enough salad does that mean I'm bound to feel hungry before 4-5 hours is up? I'm confused about salad.

Lastly, if after my reintroduction period I stay generally whole30/paleo, maybe a little more relaxed about reading ingredients and what-not, occasionally having treats, will my body continue to use fat as fuel? Or does that only work if I'm eating clean?

Thanks in advance!

Let me try to address your questions.

- yes, two Lara Bars could have caused you a sugar headache.

- the reintroduction schedule is a sample. You can reintroduce whatever you want (if you're following a structured approach, follow the protocol of one food group at a time, with 2 days of 100% Whole30 eating in between). That being said, I would only reintroduce foods you'd like to eat again, or for which you're curious about your reaction.  Gum I would probably do at the end with any other sweets, given the sugar or artificial sweetener. Deli meat I would do separately, assuming you're testing for carrageenan.

- regarding coconut milk once opened, I believe it's good for around 3-5 days.  Try the smell test too, or if it looks funny.  I would also put it in a creamer vs. keeping it in the can (something about refrigerating in an opened can doesn't sit well with me).

- on the coconut flakes, if you haven't made Mel Joulwan's Bora Bora Fireballs yet, that would be a fabulous way to use them. You could also use them to coat chicken or fish, brushing the protein with homemade mayo first.

- salad absolutely has a place in the Whole30 program. :) The reason why you're being told to have a large mixing bowl of it is that the volume goes down substantially in your stomach.  (Think of how much a package of spinach wilts down in volume when you cook it.)  You need large amounts to satiate you, and/or add cooked veggies to your salad. If you get bloated after eating salad, raw veggies might not be your friend. Try dropping raw veggies for a few days and see if that makes a difference for you.

- with respect to whether your body stays fat adapted post-Whole30, that's a very individual question. It's going to have a lot to do with what "treats" you have and how often, and how closely you follow the protein-veg-fat meal template.

Littlebluehouse, congratulations to you on completing your Whole30!

The references I've read here to eating a large volume of salad were all in connection with having "salad" as one's only vegetable with a meal, and being conscious that it takes a lot of mixed greens or spinach to be the equivalent of a cup.

But, you can eat salads WITH other vegetables. I prefer cooked vegetables, so my salads tend to be small, except for Greek salad, which is an example of a very dense chopped salad. There are many many ways to get 1-3 cups of vegetables with a meal.

I've never had a Larabar, but posters talk about them frequently so I looked them up. Holy cow! They are sugar bombs (18 grams in the one I looked at and only 4 grams of protein). In contrast, an ounce of almonds has just over a gram of sugar and six grams of protein. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have a good reaction if I ate two Larabars, especially after no sugar and limited fruit for the past month!

As for gum there's no reason you can't brush your teeth on the go, is there?

Thank you both! This forum is so helpful!

Yes I have disposable toothbrushes I sometimes can use but usually I'm out and about and it's tricky.

Thanks also for the congratulations. I'm a bit discouraged because I never felt the tiger blood, I'm regularly hungry between meals, and when I weighed myself yesterday I had lost zero pounds (and my clothes all fit the same). I know I should do the program longer and explore eliminating FODMAP foods and other ways I can tweak the program, but it's not realistic as I'm going on a big trip at the end of the month. I'll do the reintroductions (decided to do dairy today) and see how it goes. My NSVs are that I have learned more about cooking and have more confidence in the kitchen, I've welcomed salmon into my life, and I'm sleeping pretty well. So that's not nothing, but I was hoping to feel leaner and cleaner and I just don't :(

• Moderators

If you are regularly hungry between meals, you are probably not eating enough and very specifically not eating enough fat. The sad thing is that when you do not eat enough, your metabolism slows and weight loss stalls. Ironically, when you eat enough, your metabolism speeds up and losing weight is easier. 

Also I bought a bag of coconut flakes at the start of my whole30 but I have yet to run across a recipe that calls for them. What should I do with them?

I sprinkle unsweetened coconut flakes on a little cut up fruit sometimes when I'm having some as part of a meal. Perhaps it's a little dessert-y but I'll have it as part of my meal and figure the coconut adds some healthy fat to the sugar in the fruit at least?

I have another question for the moderators - post whole30 if I want a little fruit after a meal, or a snack of banana and almond butter, that's better than having a candy bar right? Or is all snacking the same and all sugar the same?

We don't really get into what's better or worse post-Whole30: that's for you to decide on how you want to ride your own bike.

In general, if you find yourself habitually wanting/having fruit or a sugar hit after a meal or as a snack, that would be something to look at. 

Archived