Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the post here today, with the concern about some more red meat findings:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33270-conflicting-information/

So I decided to have steak tonight.   :)

I cut it up and cooked it in BUTTER.  Oh, my.  Threw in a can of green beans at the end, and ~ voila.  It was fast and awesome.  And I got a great, clear signal when it was time to be done.

Just can't wait to see what my dairy meter has to say about this.  haha  ...I am no longer buying butter, but we had a BUNCH of Kerrygold from Costco.

IMG_1803.jpeg

I just made my second batch of mayo, and this one was an even better consistency than the first!

Awesome.  :)  Did you use a different type of oil?

I made a batch last week and subbed garlic salt instead of the regular salt.  It was a small change, but it was really, really good.  There are a lot of mayo threads here, where people do all sorts of different spices, flavors, etc.

You can also use the mayo to make a lot of other sauces, like a ranch dressing.  I haven't done that yet.  There is an entire list of Whole 30 sauces somewhere that I will try to find and post.  

I have been toying with mods to my mayo.  I make a killer "dijonaise" that I use on a lot of stuff.  Garlic sounds WONDERFUL.  

Well, I'm being bad and having a glass of wine in honor of the incomparable Mr. David Bowie, may he rest in peace.  

My steps were lower for the past couple of days ~ I just needed the mental break from that goal, and had other things to do ~ but today I am BACK!   :)

I am also ready to start incorporating some weight training again.  For the folks who are just getting to know me -- ummm, I've been pretty serious about this until we got the puppy, and my whole world got turned upside down.  Sleep quality was awful... I basically went into survival mode around here... and that is when I decided I needed keto again, for the mental clarity and just overall feeling better.  (Which obviously, has totally worked for me, because here I am 9 weeks in, with no plans of stopping this lifestyle.)

Anyway ~ since before our camping trip in late October ~ here is the weight training I have done:

one day I did a 1-minute plank

one day I did a push-up

I've picked up the dog about a million times

LMAO.   :lol:

No, I really am laughing, because I find it hilarious that something I was so dead. freakin. serious. about just went flying out the window, with the addition of a puppy.  It really IS like having a newborn and a toddler all wrapped up into one package -- except you can put diapers on babies and toddlers.  (Yes, I know they make puppy diapers -- but has anyone used them successfully, without them falling off and/or getting eaten?  No?  Yeah, I didn't think so.)  And they generally don't want to eat cardboard boxes, leaves, carpet fuzz, and every other dumb thing they can possibly find.  Well... BABIES don't, anyway!

All of this to say, the time has come.  And it will be different now because I am NOT "trying to become keto adapted" while simultaneously trying to keep up with my heavy training.  I am already, 100% confirmed, keto-adapted ~ and I will now be adding weight training into the mix and seeing how all of that works out.

I had made a note to myself of a podcast I wanted to listen to -- episode 796 was all I wrote down.  Turns out it was:

796: Guest Host Ben Greenfield On Gaining Muscle On A Ketogenic Diet And More

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/9784/796-guest-host-ben-greenfield-on-gaining-muscle-on-a-ketogenic-diet-and-more/

I listened to the entire thing today -- and I found it all interesting -- but I really think there are some folks here who could benefit from at least listening to the last ~13 minutes or so.  Maybe 14 minutes.  I think it will be worth your time, if you have any interest in the subject.

So -- how am I doing, strength-wise, with a ketogenic diet and basically ZERO training for the past 11 weeks?  Man, I feel like I am still going to be doing really well... better than I would have thought, if you had told me this is how this whole puppy thing was going to go.

Today I really wanted to do some bicep curls.  These weren't on my workout sheets since last June, so that is what I have for comparison.  

In June (with plenty of carbs, I'm sure) -- I had worked myself up to doing 3x12 with my 20's -- so a total of 1440 pounds of weight moved.

Today, I tried these out with my 15's.  I wanted to do 5x5.  Well, that wasn't very challenging at all, so then I wanted to do another 5x5.  So I ended up doing 10x5 -- a total of 1500 pounds of weight moved.

I realize I still have a lot of work to do, and that this was not a full-body workout -- but I am really happy with how this felt today.   I am excited to get back to it.   :)

Thanks, Brewer!  I'll add it to my ever-growing list of things to listen to/read.  I'm sure you'll be back up to speed strength-wise in a big hurry.

Tuesday: 89P-48C(23 net)-126F 69% calories from fat.  Protein may have been even higher as I wasn't scrupulous about weighing my fried chicken.  I gotta watch out for that.  I actually felt a little binge-y at supper time - busy day, grumpy husband.  I got on top by eating a green olive.  It didn't help that I baked cookies for our dinner with the neighbours tonight (Wednesday).  But I also made a Paleo Caesar Salad Dressing (with my homemade mayo as an ingredient, speaking of things to do with mayo) and crisped some bacon for REAL bacon bits for the Caesar salad I am also bringing to the dinner.  I may just eat the salad and pick at a few bites of lasagna (beef, cheese and sauce only, no noodles) to be "polite."  This is my first social outing while trying "keto" and I'm nervous, but if I can do it Whole30-compliant, I can do it keto-compliant.

Ali, FYI if you're reading this (and I'll also post in SDS): be prepared to eat what might feel like an uncomfortable and/or "unhealthy" amount of fat to get keto-adapted.  I'm serious.  It's a next-level step in nutrition re: everything you thought you knew was wrong.

Cheers!

796: Guest Host Ben Greenfield On Gaining Muscle On A Ketogenic Diet And More 

...listening to the last ~13 minutes or so.  Maybe 14 minutes.  I think it will be worth your time, if you have any interest in the subject.

Hmm, that was kind of depressing. The two primary perspectives seemed to be (a) resign yourself to not being jacked or (b) eat enough protein to leave ketosis. And then the consolation prize tips at the end (low-GI carbs, quality sleep, HIIT, and IF) were like, okkkk well if you want to at least build *some* muscle here's what you can do.

The good news about option (b) i.e. gluconeogenesis aka GNG, is that I've been reading some other things that indicate it might not be the anti-keto bugaboo a lot of people fear. There are still potential protein issues from the insulin index, nitrogen, etc., but in terms of GNG there is the idea that it's demand based not supply based. That is, your body converts protein to glucose if (and as) it needs it, and it's not like once you consume XXX grams of protein the rest turns into sugar.

Regarding the mTOR and IGF-1 stuff, I think this is possibly where the targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) would come in to play. By consuming specific amounts of carbs based strictly on weight-training, you possibly get the best of both worlds.

Hmm, that was kind of depressing. The two primary perspectives seemed to be (a) resign yourself to not being jacked or (b) eat enough protein to leave ketosis. And then the consolation prize tips at the end (low-GI carbs, quality sleep, HIIT, and IF) were like, okkkk well if you want to at least build *some* muscle here's what you can do.

The good news about option (b) i.e. gluconeogenesis aka GNG, is that I've been reading some other things that indicate it might not be the anti-keto bugaboo a lot of people fear. There are still potential protein issues from the insulin index, nitrogen, etc., but in terms of GNG there is the idea that it's demand based not supply based. That is, your body converts protein to glucose if (and as) it needs it, and it's not like once you consume XXX grams of protein the rest turns into sugar.

Regarding the mTOR and IGF-1 stuff, I think this is possibly where the targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) would come in to play. By consuming specific amounts of carbs based strictly on weight-training, you possibly get the best of both worlds.

This is cheering me up.  I'll keep that in mind when I listen to the podcast.  Thanks, kirkor.  Our second in-house researcher.  I love it.

but in terms of GNG there is the idea that it's demand based not supply based. That is, your body converts protein to glucose if (and as) it needs it, and it's not like once you consume XXX grams of protein the rest turns into sugar.

I would be interested in reading some stuff on this, if you remember where you've seen it.  Because it is my understanding that our bodies either have to use protein (for building, repair, etc) or they have to store protein -- and our bodies have no way to store protein, without turning it into glucose.  Is this incorrect?

I have no idea where all of this energy came from today ~ but when I realized this goal was possible, I went for it!

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%2011.40.

(This is like 10 miles.)

The only other day I came even CLOSE to this was one of our days at an amusement park in October.

I have no idea where all of this energy came from today ~ but when I realized this goal was possible, I went for it!

(This is like 10 miles.)

The only other day I came even CLOSE to this was one of our days at an amusement park in October.

Now you need to aim for 30!

I think this is where I first read about the question of spontaneous GNG:

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

http://www.ketotic.org/2013/01/protein-gluconeogenesis-and-blood-sugar.html

I'm not 100% about what happens to protein in excess of our immediate needs, but this article addresses some of the research:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/does-excess-protein-get-stored-as-fat.html

(seems like it is preferentially used for muscle growth rather than fat storage)

For me I think it just underscores the importance of weight-training no matter what your diet is (so nutrients get shuttled optimally) and when eating keto it's important to choose the higher-fat cuts of meat, cook with fat, etc etc. If people are trying to do keto with chicken breast and egg white, they're gonna have a bad time.

(This is like 10 miles.)

Wow! Did you make it? Yay for bursts of energy!

I looked back and saw that when I was in Europe a few years ago (using my old Fitbit that died after a few times thru the washing machine - it was a clip on), one day I got 23,000 steps. That's my record high, I believe. 

It will be exciting to witness your transition back to lifting. 

Yep, Sara -- that's how I posted the badge.  I made it!

I had made 20,000 back in October on our trip ...  and I knew I wanted to hit 25,000 someday ... but I had no idea it would be in the middle of winter, in my house, on the treadmill.  Lol.  I was feeling it, so -- I went with it.  :)

Well glory be - I am finally in ketosis (afternoon reading of 0.9) and I have not tracked anything.  It took 13 days.....

I keep telling everyone all this tracking isn't necessary.......  

Congrats, Julie ~ if ketosis is where you want to be.   :)  How are you feeling, overall?

Planning is KEY.  Yesterday (Wednesday) was my "best" day yet.  75P-29C(20 net)-105F 69% calories from fat.  I want to stay low on carbs to help with the transition to keto-adapted, and then I think I will be able to eat closer to 50g (by then I hope to NOT be tracking, though). 

This was my dairy reintro day AND the lasagna day (hence the dairy reintro.  I ate the cheese (mild cheddar and/or mozzarella and ricotta) and beef out of one small piece of lasagna, leaving the noodles.  So, I also got a small quantity of tomato sauce, but not enough to worry about.  My Caesar salad dressing turned out AWESOME (Foodnetwork.com recipe - I omitted the anchovies), so I focused on that.  Our hostess even went back for seconds!  (Of course, who doesn't love REAL bacon in a salad?).

I set up a spreadsheet to track my macros, moods and observations until Friday, January 29 (we leave for Guam that evening).  That will give me almost 4 weeks of data to watch for trends.  After that I want to stop tracking (it's always there for me if I feel l need to go back to it).  I noticed that my fat is naturally falling into an average of 69% of calories, even though I don't have a fat target.  I just eat fat to fill in hunger, and that's where it lands.  I feel good about that.  I've also been making note of the times that I get clear "STOP EATING" signals, as well as times I feel "binge-y" and what I do about it.  I didn't feel at all deprived not eating the noodles last night (what a waste of calories!) and I just sat calmly and enjoyed the conversation while everyone dug into the shortbread cookies (and raved about them) and gingerbread house.  I'm just happy they're not in my house for my family any more!

I also went running yesterday for the first time in MONTHS.  My legs felt like lead (not surprising, given that Tuesday was leg day in the gym) but my cardio was okay and I enjoyed the sunshine and fresh air.  Plus, it helped with my step goal (but still not 25,000!).  Go figure I forgot my Fitbit at home on the charger this morning.

Happy Hump Day, everyone!

Archived