Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

On the other hand, I have enjoyed the challenge that I have made for myself by being w30 compliant while on vacation :)

You're saying you did a trip while ON a Whole 30, right?  I think I vaguely remember being super impressed with all of the packing and planning you did...

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but I'm already battling that little voice telling me that wine will be fine after I'm done, an we all know where that leads....

Man, it doesn't take me anywhere good.........  :(

I had to break up with wine, for good.  "It's not you, it's me..."     :lol: 

JESS ~ just feel better already!  Geez!  :D

Seriously, though........  CONGRATS on all of the progress you've made so far.  I know you must be so proud.  The best part is that you've done this while nourishing your body, without feeling crazy hungry or deprived.  It's been steady and sustainable ~ just how it should be!  :)

Way to go, Jess!

Interesting thoughts on the vacation/trip, Brewer.  I think writing it all out like that is going to help you as you plan for the "same old" trip in March.  All of my trips lately have been to exciting, new, exotic destinations that we may truly never visit again, which makes it harder to NOT try the local cuisine and restaurants as we may truly never eat there again.  It won't be the same foods I've had 25 times already!  Mind you, a donut is a donut is a donut, no matter what country it is (not that I usually have a hard time staying away from donuts - insert common food item HERE).  I definitely fell down the rabbit hole on our last trip to Singapore (July).  But going back "home" is such a change of scenery that I find it easy to get back on track.  Moving back to North America will present its own challenges as the desire to revisit familiar restaurants will be there, despite the fact that I KNOW the food will taste the same (and will still NOT be worth it in most cases).  Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

HOWEVER, I'm curious to see what my cravings will be like now that I'll be focusing on fat.  Usually I'm coming from a place of fat-avoidance and that restriction just causes me to go overboard on all the rich, fatty things I've been denying myself, especially because my insulin levels are high and I'm HUNGRY.  There is still the risk I will go overboard on sweet things (even just fruit or starches like bread) because of the restriction, but I'm just not so darn hungry!

You're saying you did a trip while ON a Whole 30, right?  I think I vaguely remember being super impressed with all of the packing and planning you did...

Yep - family reunion. In a lodge with strange kitchen. Made a lot of foods ahead of time. Packed meals for the travel days, had back up meals if there wasn't anything compliant on the nights that other family members cooked. It was a lot of work but sooooooo worth it :)

Way to go, Jess!

Interesting thoughts on the vacation/trip, Brewer.  I think writing it all out like that is going to help you as you plan for the "same old" trip in March.  All of my trips lately have been to exciting, new, exotic destinations that we may truly never visit again, which makes it harder to NOT try the local cuisine and restaurants as we may truly never eat there again.  It won't be the same foods I've had 25 times already!  Mind you, a donut is a donut is a donut, no matter what country it is (not that I usually have a hard time staying away from donuts - insert common food item HERE).  I definitely fell down the rabbit hole on our last trip to Singapore (July).  But going back "home" is such a change of scenery that I find it easy to get back on track.  Moving back to North America will present its own challenges as the desire to revisit familiar restaurants will be there, despite the fact that I KNOW the food will taste the same (and will still NOT be worth it in most cases).  Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

HOWEVER, I'm curious to see what my cravings will be like now that I'll be focusing on fat.  Usually I'm coming from a place of fat-avoidance and that restriction just causes me to go overboard on all the rich, fatty things I've been denying myself, especially because my insulin levels are high and I'm HUNGRY.  There is still the risk I will go overboard on sweet things (even just fruit or starches like bread) because of the restriction, but I'm just not so darn hungry!

I remember coming home (stateside) from Okinawa. We hit the fruit in the grocery store like it was a huge candy counter :). Ate so much fruit in the first few days home we were all sick!

In other good news, keto/LCHF is NOT hurting my lifting AT ALL.  I hit new PRs for dead-hang chin-ups AND pull-ups today.  It makes me hopeful that the protein I'm eating is going to good use (although I honestly wouldn't mind dropping some lean muscle mass - I bulk very easily for a woman!).

Cheers,

-Lauren

I have literally spent the last 2 hours reading just about every page of this thread!   Thank you Brewer5 for recommending this one!   I'll certainly be keeping up to date on what folks post, and making notes while I finish out my Whole30.   But, my interest has now peaked just by all that you all have posted. And for 2016, I told myself this is the year I am going to do what is best for ME, and not do some yo-yo diet or track things to the ounce, but to learn to live in freedom with food and kill the sugar demon that lives deep in my cells!  This is my 3rd Whole30, so it's my reset....get me back in the game.  Remind myself why I do this, because I feel SO amazing and I now have a sense of knowing what my body needs.   And I love feeling like I'm fueling my body!! It's not about weight loss or any of that for me, it's about feeding my body what it needs to function properly and to perform at it's best!  Period!      :)

So, 2016 is my year to reset with W30 first, then listen to my body, then do what will work for me to kill my sugar demon that tempts me every single time and pulls me in.  This keto-type Whole30 might be what I need to do just that. But I'll be reading and keeping up with your posts!   And, get inspired!   

...But going back "home" is such a change of scenery that I find it easy to get back on track.  Moving back to North America will present its own challenges as the desire to revisit familiar restaurants will be there, despite the fact that I KNOW the food will taste the same (and will still NOT be worth it in most cases).  Absence makes the heart grow fonder?...

I remember coming home (stateside) from Okinawa. We hit the fruit in the grocery store like it was a huge candy counter :). Ate so much fruit in the first few days home we were all sick!

Guess what?  This is actually a documented phenomenon in the literature on subconscious and conscious cues to overeat.  It's called "Returning Home Syndrome."  It is observed in college students returning home after a semester away, as well.

Ugh, okay still feeling like absolute garbage when I run.  This is much more likely due to the fact that this is only my second weekly run in MONTHS and it came after a heavy-duty leg day.

But I am a little bit scared that ketosis is cannibalizing my heart tissue and therefore trying to do cardio ketogenically is putting more strain on my heart.  Has this been completely de-bunked?  Or is this a real risk?  I know there's the keto cycling couple - are their hearts just as healthy (healthier?) than non-keto cycling counterparts?

Just something for me to evaluate if/when I choose to incorporate more cardio.  I may find that LCHF is not making me feel my best when pursuing more running.  So far, so good for lifting!  And guess what?  I get to EAT, ASSESS, TWEAK when I start swimming competitively again (one of my current goals for my next North American assignment).

But I am a little bit scared that ketosis is cannibalizing my heart tissue and therefore trying to do cardio ketogenically is putting more strain on my heart.  Has this been completely de-bunked?  Or is this a real risk?

I have never heard of this in my life.   :blink:   

What I do know is that there are *lots* of folks out there who have used keto for endurance sports -- not just the keto cycling couple.

The link I posted for Alison awhile back:

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

^ I think that should allay your fears.

If not.......  I am not sure what to tell you.  Except:  google your fears.  :)

But I am a little bit scared that ketosis is cannibalizing my heart tissue and therefore trying to do cardio ketogenically is putting more strain on my heart.  Has this been completely de-bunked?  Or is this a real risk?  I know there's the keto cycling couple - are their hearts just as healthy (healthier?) than non-keto cycling counterparts?

Well, as a cardiac nurse, all I can say is... uhhhh no.  That's not even kind-of science.  Not even psuedo-science.  So I wouldn't worry about it.  Your heart is made of cardiac muscle.  It's not even the same thing as skeletal muscle.  Ketosis doesn't attack heart tissue.  I'm exhausted after work, so I'll just leave it simple and at that.

IMG_2659.jpg

It's just time for a Rocket update.  Here's our baby!   :)

He is mostly done with peeing on the carpet........ and has been sleeping a good stretch at night for awhile now.

I have been working on adjusting my schedule to his.  Tonight is not a good example of that.

"Why a High-Fat Diet is Healthy and Safe" ~ on Mark's Daily Apple:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz3xnlmEbf6

I especially loved this part:

“Fat is the body’s preferred and most reliable form of energy, which is why we store excess energy as fat on our bodies. Unless you think we accumulate body fat just to make pants fit tighter.”

:lol: 

Rocket is a cutie! One of my best friends here has two shelties, the loves of her life. 

"Why a High-Fat Diet is Healthy and Safe" ~ on Mark's Daily Apple:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz3xnlmEbf6

I especially loved this part:

“Fat is the body’s preferred and most reliable form of energy, which is why we store excess energy as fat on our bodies. Unless you think we accumulate body fat just to make pants fit tighter.”

:lol: 

Hilarious quote - it makes a great point! What does the body want with fat anyway! It's storing energy. Doh! Something that tends to get lost in all the minutae. :)

Loved the article Brewer.  I saw a new PCP last year and, at that time, I had been following a ketogenic diet for several months.  I told her I was eating LCHF and expected a negative response but didn't get one.  She was interested in what I ate, but beyond that didn't say a whole lot about it.  I saw her again on Monday.  She asked if I was still doing LCHF and I told her I flipped between that and Paleo, but for the most part still ate real food and didn't shy away from the fat at all. She just shook her head looking at my blood work results and said "I wish more of my patients ate that way - your numbers are amazing". I know this is the best way for me - I feel great and I am healthy.  And yes, I burn fat for fuel :)

Soooo... I have made an epic keto mistake (for myself): I let us run out of OLIVES. I don't know if I really realized how much I rely on those as a fat source. They work out REALLY well for me.

We can't get back to Costco just yet, so I thought I would survive without them. Well, guess what started looking good? Yeah... Damn coconut manna... With some old expired raw almonds I found in the cabinet... And 100% chocolate.

Well, all fine and dandy ~ whatever ~ except my stomach doesn't like it, much. Yet I want to keep having it. Ummmmm.... no.

Goal for tomorrow: NONE of this concoction, and: Get some darn olives.

And yeah, yeah, I know... STEPS. ;)

kirkor, I got a few varieties at an olive bar the other day... at a local grocery store we hardly ever go to.  Out of the three little sample containers I tried -- one of them was "okay".  The other two were pretty awful.  :(  

So... I have been trying new things... but with little success, so far.   The blue cheese ones were particularly bad.  I ate the last three of those, sort of "hidden" in my big-ass salad today.

• Administrators

I've tried a tonne of different olives but man, the Tassos brand from Costco just cannot be beat! I feel sad for you being out. I just went to Costco yesterday and bought the big jar of black and a jar of stuffed green (jalapeño and garlic). Then I put them in my dry storage downstairs and realized that I have 2 big jars already and 4 of the stuffed ones. Too bad you can't come over and grab a jar!

Something else that is absurdly delicious is the Sable & Rosenfeld Olive Bruschetta and Spicy Olive Bruschetta, look them up and see if you can get some, SO delicious and a nice change. And W30 compliant, of course.

Have you guys seen that olive muffalata at Costco?  I had a woman stop me one time and tell me how awesome it was... so addicting... you can put it on this, you can put it on that...  etc etc.  So I (not being on a Whole 30) decided to try it.  

They RUIN this product for me by using soybean oil.  What the heck?!  

At first bite, it reminded me of pizza... and then I was just like, UGH.  I ended up throwing it away.  I do not recommend ~ Whole 30, or not.

Archived