Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

I've tried a tonne of different olives but man, the Tassos brand from Costco just cannot be beat! I feel sad for you being out. I just went to Costco yesterday and bought the big jar of black and a jar of stuffed green (jalapeño and garlic). Then I put them in my dry storage downstairs and realized that I have 2 big jars already and 4 of the stuffed ones. Too bad you can't come over and grab a jar!

Something else that is absurdly delicious is the Sable & Rosenfeld Olive Bruschetta and Spicy Olive Bruschetta, look them up and see if you can get some, SO delicious and a nice change. And W30 compliant, of course.

I know.  I am going to have to see if maybe we can go to Costco TODAY.   :unsure:   The weather isn't great -- and the cash is low -- but... man...  I really need those olives.  Lol.

Thanks for the recommendation!  Can you tell me where you get your bruschetta?  It is incredibly over-priced at Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCA1OGI?keywords=sable%20and%20rosenfeld%20olive%20bruschetta&qid=1453388536&ref_=sr_1_1&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rps=1&sr=8-1

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I bought it at a local specialty store, it wasn't cheap, I recall about $7 for the jar. On the sable and Rosenfeld site they list the stores that sell their products, there are lots of regular grocery stores that sell it in the US. The spicy one I've only ever gotten once, can't find it again. I've considered buying the 6 jar case from US Amazon and having it shipped but $37 at our horrid exchange rate plus shipping....well....the bruschetta is good but it would have to be laced with gold to pay that much for it!

My youngest woke up today with an upset stomach, for some reason ~ and I was debating what oil to use, to cook his eggs & potatoes.  My gut told me to use ghee, over everything else we have here.

Then I went and found this:

Aids digestive health – Unlike many other oils and butters, which can make us feel sluggish and bloated, ghee actually improves the digestive process by stimulating the secretion of stomach acids. This helps increase the absorption of other nutrients, including the fat-soluble vitamins present in the ghee itself. Consequently, moderate, long-term consumption of ghee can help treat ulcers, acid reflux, constipation, and other digestive issues.

http://spiritfoods.net/health-benefits-of-ghee/

Also this:

Good source of vitamins – One serving of ghee contains approximately 1,418 international units of vitamin A, which is 28 percent of our recommended daily intake (RDI). Vitamin A, which is lacking in other edible oils, is nicknamed the “medicine of the immune system,” since it helps to keep our mucous membrane and skin cells healthy, thereby guarding us from cell damage. Vitamin A also helps fight cancer by inhibiting DNA production in cancerous cells.

I have not been using it, much ~ since I think it makes that cyst on my face flare up ~ but I don't think we'll get rid of it completely.  ;)

Yeah....... having the coconut/almond/chocolate combo these past few days has FOR SURE reminded me of my FODMAP sensitivity.   :(

I am back to the green column on this list and we'll see how long it takes for things to settle down.

I haven't had to pay much attention to this list for quite awhile now........  maybe since my last Whole 30 -- a year ago.

Almonds are one of the WORST offenders -- in the red column.  

This is clearly a case of something else taking over and me not using my brain.   :rolleyes:

I'm over it.

Hello my sweet friends!

Well, the last three weeks for me have been a major trial.  Just to re-cap, I came down with the flu on NYE, and was super sick for about a week.  Just as I began to get well, I cam down with a major major sinus infection.  7 days of my first antibiotic failed.  I had missed two days of work when I got the flu, so I was working through this entire thing.  Friday after work, I went to urgent care and was put on a second antibiotic and glucocorticoid steroids.  

So yes, still working through this whole process of trying to get better.  And you know what, guys?  I stopped eating right.  First, I was barely eating at all.  Then, when they put me on steroids, my appetite returned with a vengeance, yet I had absolutely zero energy to grocery shop or cook.  So yeah, for the last 5 days or so, I went back to convenience foods.  Completely not keto foods.  Started with a protein-style burger from my favorite burger place.  The next time, I didn't skip the bun and I got fries.  This happened a few times.  I'm not proud of it, but I'm admitting it.  I felt so sick, and my body was so hungry for food, it was hard to tell if it was effecting me negatively or not.  I was just trying to get through the week.  I've had to take Ny-Quil every single night to sleep, since my cough keeps me awake.  Recipe for disaster.  

Well, yesterday, for the first time in over 3 months, I went to work without meals packed.  I told myself I'd make it work.  Hah.  Well, breakfast went okay.  Had hardboiled eggs, bacon and dipped the eggs in mayo and mustard.  Lunch was another story.  The line for the grill was 20 people deep, and I only had a few minutes.  I went to the sandwich bar, and got a tuna sandwich with avocado.  But I had it made on a big, crusty, sourdough roll like I've always loved.  As I ate my lunch, I was aware that it didn't even taste that good.  I didn't finish the sandwich.  I tried some trail mix that was in the breakroom.  I used to pick the m&m's out of that stuff and mostly eat those lol.  I noticed I was hating the candy pieces, they tasted like pure sugar and I was digging for plain nuts LOL.  

30 minutes after lunch, I had the worst heartburn I've had in years.  It was TORTUROUS!  I have had zero heartburn since starting Whole30.  Acid reflux, or GERD, is something I definitely struggled with before my Whole30 journey.  I tried water, milk, anything.  I was in agony for over 8 hours until I could get home and take a Zantac.  Needless to say, I adored and relished my chicken leg and avocado dinner.  And I wanted to hug my keto compliant breakfast.

I have realized truly that I'm not missing anything.  Eating this way gives me more gifts than just a slimmer waistline.  I know for a fact now that I will NEVER go back to before.  This situation taught me that.  I love my keto body.  I love how it functions, how we take care of each other.  How it carries me through a shift, and sleeps well afterward.  

Well, that's my confession.  I hope my story helps somebody.  

Thanks for sharing, Jess!  I think your story also helped YOU - you're not a failure; look at all that you LEARNED from your experience and how much more insight you have about how different foods affect you!

As for me, speaking of FODMAPs, I finally OD'd on avocados.  I just needed a few days off though and it's fine.  I think half an avocado every other day might be my threshold.

Else, this LCHF is going really well for me (I think).  Cravings are down (non-existent), satiety is up, and other than running, gym performance is good.  I'll keep checking in here in case I experience "The Creep" during and/or after my vacation (I leave in one week!!) and in case I need trouble-shooting when I stop tracking macros.

Speaking of which, yesterday was a planned, structured rice reintroduction (so I knew my carbs would be a touch higher), but still rocking it: 72P-65C(50 net)-106F 66% calories from fat.  If I was monitoring my ketones (which I'm not) I guess I might expect them to go down a little bit, but I'm back to "normal" today and not the least bit worried about it.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Whew, it's been a long day ~ but I got this all taken care of:

IMG_5822.jpeg

:lol:

Hey, kirkor ~ those new black olives do NOT have ferrous gluconate!   We haven't been a big fan of Lindsay in the past, but I had to get them once I saw this news on the label.  Just sea salt and water.

The olive tapenade has canola oil... but I wanted to try it out, anyway.  I've never had tapenade... or bruschetta.  Which, sadly, I did not get to go to Fresh Market and look for on this trip.

We'll see if the Kalamata olives were a mistake or not.  I've never tried those, either.

I realized today that the garlic and the almond stuffings are both high-FODMAP.  I am not sure about the pimento or the jalapeño.  But I have been consuming these a lot lately, with little digestive complaint.

I am pretty clear on the culprits ...   Yet I avoided AS MANY possible offenders today as I could.  I had a very green-list day, with the exception of my coffee.  Folks... I am just not ready to give up my coffee again.  I'm just not.

-----------

Speaking of coffee ~ I am literally falling asleep trying to get this posted!   :rolleyes:

But I wanted to say this:

This time ~and last time~ we bought a lot of olives... and both times, the checkout person HAD to comment.  I told my husband, "If we had gone through the checkout with 10 giant boxes of cereal -- no one would bat an eye.  They would think nothing of it."

And I find that to be hilarious... but at the same time, I find that to be very sad.

I am pretty clear on the culprits ... Yet I avoided AS MANY possible offenders today as I could. I had a very green-list day, with the exception of my coffee. Folks... I am just not ready to give up my coffee again. I'm just not

I hear you on the coffee. Ugh. Part of me thinks that because I'm SO attached to it I really need to think about giving it up. But I literally just can't bear the thought.

I am also rather jealous of your olive haul! Looks incredible. There is a restaurant back home that I pulled up the menu for to double check they still serve their house marinated olives....I don't even care if I can't find anything else compliant because I could just eat 3 dishes of olives and be fine :)

And I wanted to hug my keto compliant breakfast.

I have realized truly that I'm not missing anything.  Eating this way gives me more gifts than just a slimmer waistline.  I know for a fact now that I will NEVER go back to before.  This situation taught me that.  I love my keto body.  I love how it functions, how we take care of each other.  How it carries me through a shift, and sleeps well afterward.  

Well, that's my confession.  I hope my story helps somebody.  

Jess ~ one of the greatest things that happens when we return to eating well and nourishing our bodies... is that moment when you realize that you are craving and appreciating vegetables again.

It's crazy how much our taste buds can change.  For a few days, there...  I could mix up unsweetened coconut flakes, MCT oil, raw almonds, 100% baking chocolate, with a sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt...... and it tasted like the most decadent dessert ever.   :lol:   Lol.  Next to that ~ for me ~ an actual Almond Joy bar or something would taste bad.

I've had some cherry tomatoes on my salads lately, and I can't believe how sweet they really are.  It almost feels wrong.  (Which of course, is ridiculous.  haha)

I'm sorry for all of the sickness you have been through... sorry for the food misery that has accompanied it... but so glad that you now have a new "normal" to come back to.  Congrats!

This time ~and last time~ we bought a lot of olives... and both times, the checkout person HAD to comment.  I told my husband, "If we had gone through the checkout with 10 giant boxes of cereal -- no one would bat an eye.  They would think nothing of it."

And I find that to be hilarious... but at the same time, I find that to be very sad.

Yep I've had this happen too - but I think was with plantains (this was about 1.5 years ago when I used to eat a lot of plantains, I've cut down since) I had 2 plantains, a bunch of bananas (R likes bananas - I can't stand them - it's a texture thing) plantain chips  :ph34r: and banana chips (trying them out as an emergency snack) plus other groceries.  The cashier HAD TO comment that eating that many bananas couldn't be healthy for you....  Okay maybe it WAS a bit much but it wasn't like I was going to eat them all in one sitting.

I am definitely jealous of your olive haul   :wub:

• Administrators

Whew, it's been a long day ~ but I got this all taken care of:

IMG_5822.jpeg

I have that green olive tapenade and it is delightful!  Spread it on cooked chicken (take it out of the fridge to room temp or the conflict of hot and cold isn't very nice).  The kalamata olives, if you haven't had them, try them at room temp first, they are so buttery and rich!  I am also very jealous that you can still get the tall fancy bottle of mixed stuffed olives, onions and peppers.  We can only get those here at C'mas time and I just finished my last bottle!

I prefer black olives and calumet olives.  haven't acquired much of a taste for the green olives.  I would love to try to find some stuffed olives, but it seems that they only stuff the green ones :)

Love your olive haul!  Can't wait for mom and dad to come home from FL so I can get to costco.  The olives int he real grocery store are expensive....

Here is the thing about tapenade and bruschetta:  I used to eat them on toasted bread or crackers.  I just can't find anything to substitute that bread for.  Without that crunch, I just can't seem to enjoy them.  Any ideas?  What do you use?

• Administrators

I prefer black olives and calumet olives.  haven't acquired much of a taste for the green olives.  I would love to try to find some stuffed olives, but it seems that they only stuff the green ones :)

Love your olive haul!  Can't wait for mom and dad to come home from FL so I can get to costco.  The olives int he real grocery store are expensive....

Here is the thing about tapenade and bruschetta:  I used to eat them on toasted bread or crackers.  I just can't find anything to substitute that bread for.  Without that crunch, I just can't seem to enjoy them.  Any ideas?  What do you use?

I spread it on some thick cod fillets and topped it all with sliced heirloom cherry tomatoes and baked it at 425 for 8 minutes.  It was SO good!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7x9mjG0LQD9OUJBV2wzMnFXVXc/view?usp=sharing

Man, I wish I liked olives... they seem like a great and very versatile ingredient!

Today is the first day I can honestly say I feel almost normal!  That is 23 days straight being sick.  Wow, what a drag that was.  My last dose of antibiotics is with dinner.  My poor little gut biome!  But I don't have a yeast infection (sorry if that's TMI), and I don't have diarrhea (same apology), so my body seems to be weathering the antibiotics well.  Thank you, probiotics!

I work all weekend, so at some point today I have to get off my butt and prepare foods for the weekend.  

Anyone else an X-Files fan???  It was, and still is, my favorite show of all time, and I'm SO excited for the reboot premiering Sunday night!  

No such thing as TMI here.  ;)

So glad to hear you feeling better!

Jess, have you tried like, every possible olive?  There are SO many!  These new Kalamata ones today... they look more like a black olive, but taste like a cross between the two.  They are rich and buttery, like ladyshanny said.  I have never had anything quite like it... and I have been quite the olive explorer lately.

I'm sure I haven't tried every variety of olive.  I have definitely had Kalamata olives though, they're really common in Mediterranean and Armenian food here in California.  They just taste so funny to me, I dunno.  I guess I could force myself to eat them.  I'm always desperate for additional fat sources.  

But you for sure hate green olives?  Those stuffed varieties from Costco are SO good!  

...And of course no one wants you to have to choke them down... Lol.   I just wondered if ~maybe~ there was a variety out there you would actually LIKE.  ;)

I hear you on the coffee. Ugh. Part of me thinks that because I'm SO attached to it I really need to think about giving it up. But I literally just can't bear the thought.

I have quit drinking it multiple times ~ for varying amounts of time.  Days. Weeks. Months. Years?

I don't even really have any desire to, right now.  I've got a lot of other things I am working on... and I know from experience that piling on too many goals at the same time just backfires.  When it's time...  I'll know it.  You probably will, too.  :)

Okay maybe it WAS a bit much but it wasn't like I was going to eat them all in one sitting.

...But it wasn't a bit much, and that is exactly the point.

If you had come through with a couple loaves of bread, a couple boxes of toaster waffles, say - 4 boxes of cereal (with coupons, of course!), and some pasta -- NO ONE would look at your stuff and say, "Eating that much wheat can't be healthy for you."

NO ONE.   :blink: 

The green olive tapenade ~ I just ate big old spoonful of it straight out of the jar today, to try it.  It is GOOD -- but it is SALTY.  Good thing I like salt!  :)

I also put a big scoop of it on my salad a little bit ago.  That worked out well.  It's very flavorful.

• Administrators

The green olive tapenade ~ I just ate big old spoonful of it straight out of the jar today, to try it.  It is GOOD -- but it is SALTY.  Good thing I like salt!   :)

I also put a big scoop of it on my salad a little bit ago.  That worked out well.  It's very flavorful.

I love it for that reason also.  I cannot (C A N  N O T!!!) get enough salt lately.  It's absolutely absurd but I assume that my body needs it so I keep salting.  :)

Archived