Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I haven't tried every variety of olive. I have definitely had Kalamata olives though, they're really common in Mediterranean and Armenian food here in California. They just taste so funny to me, I dunno. I guess I could force myself to eat them. I'm always desperate for additional fat sources.

Try castelvetrano (sp?) olives. They are mild and not super olive-y, and how I started likening olives, now I love the all, but those are still my fave!

...But it wasn't a bit much, and that is exactly the point.

If you had come through with a couple loaves of bread, a couple boxes of toaster waffles, say - 4 boxes of cereal (with coupons, of course!), and some pasta -- NO ONE would look at your stuff and say, "Eating that much wheat can't be healthy for you."

NO ONE. :blink:

I have had people in line even comment on the stuff I'm unpacking from the cart! Commenting how "healthy" it all looks....it is crazy isn't it!! Not that I really mind, but I wouldn't comment to them how UN healthy their carts look lol.

Well, that was another good one!  If you folks haven't seen it yet... I don't know what you're waiting for.   ;)  Share it with your friends, your family, share it with your enemies, and your sister's boyfriend's uncle's boss.

I confess, I got choked up where they talked about the diet of the mother affecting the choices of the child.  I don't see this being as much of a problem with my kids -- because they have not grown up with unlimited access to sugar -- and Good Lord, have they been educated -- but it hit home with myself and my own childhood.

I was already thinking today about what I've learned in Brain Maker -- about our gut biome initially coming from our mother.  I was thinking of my mother's health issues, and her no less than SIX medications.  I was thinking of the amount of sugar I consumed as a child, how SICK I was, and the amount of antibiotics I went through.  I had an antibiotic for everything.

I have a mouth full of metal fillings.  ...My kids don't.

Everything that took place in the first 23 years of my life, before I knew better (and when my parents most certainly did not) -- affects who I am and how I am able to eat today.  I do not make the decision to eat a ketogenic diet because I am trying to be different or cool.  I do it because eating any other way makes me seriously concerned for my health.  Because I get brain fog and I lose my mental quickness and I cannot focus and stay on-task.  I often feel overwhelmed and just want to feed everyone "whatever".  I get mood swings, anxiety, PMS and hangry feelings, and ups and downs ~ and all over the place.  

Yes, even for my first two Whole 30's -- before I went keto -- I reached the end of the day and all I wanted to do was sit down and EAT.  Carrots and sunflower butter.  Potatoes.  ...In fact, I used to sit -- a lot.  I didn't feel good like I feel now.  I thought I felt good -- I certainly felt better -- but not like this.

Anyway ~ kirkor!  As always, I thank you for spreading the word.  The timing was perfect today, as I've had a lot of things on my mind... and this sort of tied them all together.  It brings me hope that maybe -- just maybe -- we can turn this thing around.  I may not live to see it... but my children might.

Karen ~ that was a pretty good, brief synopsis.  I like it & I will pass it on.

I hate that the very last statement was, "But one wedge of cake won't hurt you."  

...Well, unless it makes you want popcorn... and tortilla chips... and Sno Caps... and more cake..........    :rolleyes:

Of course it can hurt you.

Walking on the treadmill today, and reading this:

What the Fat?  Sports Performance:  Leaner, Fitter, Faster on Low-Carb Healthy Fat

Really good so far!  

"It also creates a condition where the easy and moderate training sessions, because they are fueled by fat, are much less inflammatory than carb-fueled easy sessions.  Most important though is that in harder sessions you will be able to withstand a bigger training load for the same muscle damage and inflammation."

My husband has been looking forward to today's football all week -- and he decided he wanted to have his carbs tonight, after a couple of weeks low-carb.  He informed me a few days ago that he wanted to order Mexican from a local place.  So I've thought of it off and on... trying to decide if there was anything I wanted from there or not.

I decided:  not.

If I paid for the fajitas, I'd eat about 1/4 of the stuff that comes with that:  chicken, green peppers, small pile of guacamole.  $11.99.  Nah...

Their salads aren't great, and I honestly have NO desire for the dairy (cheese and sour cream).  It's weird.  Like, if I had ANY desire... I would have eaten it.  But I just:  don't.

2.5 months of keto......  And nothing good enough to pull me away from it so far.  {shrug}

I love it.   :)

And........  Awwww, CRAP.  

I'm cutting out EGGS ~ starting tomorrow.     :angry: 

I already know I have a problem with FODMAPs.  But... I have been having pregnant belly bloat after breakfast now.  It's so bad -- I almost took a picture today to post it.  But you all would have asked me when I was due.  No... really.

I don't know how long this has been going on.  I think it's really been noticeable this week, because it's a combo with the PMS bloat.  That's my theory.

Googling brings up TONS of stories... story after story like mine.  And as I was thinking to myself this morning:  Is there really anything natural about us eating this many eggs?  (A few for breakfast... and probably a couple later, on salad or mini-meals).

You don't have to answer that.  I already know.   :rolleyes:

So I will cut them out -- and I will see how things improve.  And if I decide it was 100% the eggs, for sure -- I will order those expensive ones that are SOY-FREE and I will try those, to see how that goes.  Because, we do want to have our own chickens... or we did, anyway.  And I have no intention of feeding them soy, because I am incredibly sensitive to soy.  That is a large part of why we want our own chickens -- to control what they are eating.

I know I can do this.  I know that ladyshanny and Carla are already doing it.  But what a pain in the butt.  

...I can do this!

• Administrators

Oh, that sucks, sorry to hear that! I won't lie, if you rely on them heavily, it's a rough transition at the beginning and such a piss off. To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that the husband was getting wicked psoriasis in his scalp, if it was just my skin issues, I probably wouldn't have bothered giving them up. ;)

I have found that now that we've been off the daily (and sometimes multi times a day) eggs, I can have a random omelette from time to time. I never gave up mayo, mind you. :). The hubby cannot eat random eggs successfully, his scalp flares up right away...and he never did eat mayo....the freak. ;)

I do think it's worth trying to change the source of the eggs, if eggs are indeed the problem.  My mom, queen of food sensitivities, can tell when they switch the feed for both chicken and eggs.  And she's sensitive to water, or presumably the stuff in it.  Weird, but well proven.

ThyPeace, the only person on the planet who grew up with a mom with major food sensitivities.  My friends refer to her as "patient zero" for peanut allergies.

Archived