Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

thanks for such quick direction!  Watched the posted video and will look at your other recommended sources.  I did find a 14 day sample diet plan on a website that looks promising for helping me find some foundations.  I did not mean to imply I was not interested in books.  I should have mentioned that I had seen your recommendations to another newbie asking for direction, so I knew there were books out there.  Thanks for listing them for me.

Ok - lots to learn.  I better get started.  Again, thanks!

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiggercane - I started keto after reading keto clarity.  Very good book that makes it simple.  I read it in less than a week while I was on vacation hiking around Sedona.  

As Brewer said - it is very much like w30 - but staying away from the starchy veggies and fruit.  My best "side effect" of keto:  no sugar dragon......

Brewer5, I watched the video and she seems to not be talking about keto exactly. She says no grains, sugar, or potatoes, but it seems that starchy veg and fruit would be ok on her list.

She doesn't use the K-word, but she's still talking about low carb and keeping insulin from spiking, so starchy veg and fruit would still be out.

So, how's this for a PITA?  My beloved local gym, which I have happily given $40 a month to for the past 5 years, apparently went belly-up over the holidays and did not notify its customers.  Driving down that street two days after New Years, I saw signage for the YMCA.  I received no mail or email contact from either my gym or the YMCA, but they continued to charge me dues.  We all know how January went, so I certainly wasn't going to the gym.

Today, I finally feel good enough to work out, so I head down there.  I find out my dues were charged for January, not February, and that I'm not a member.  I cannot work out.  And I would have to pay dues that day to be reinstated.  Here's where it gets good:  This guy tells me that I'm ok to pay my normal dues until June, but after that my dues would increase to $60 A MONTH.  I was like  :blink:  :wacko:  :o WHAT?!?!?!?!?

Yes.  The lovely YMCA is charging folks $60 a damn month to use their facilities.  The SAME facilities and equipment I was using before for $20 a month less.  I couldn't even believe it.  What a ripoff!  And the guy tries to tell me it's great because I can use any of the 3 YMCA's in the area  :wacko: 

SO.  I got in the car and drove to the 24-Hour Fitness that's about twice as far away, but still only a 10 minute drive.  Within 10 minutes, I find out the hospital I work for gives a corporate discount, and I qualify to have initiation fees waived.  I can visit ANY 24-Hour Fitness in the world, for $36 a month.  That's $4 less than I was even paying at my precious little local gym I loved.  So, my fitness activities have a new home, folks.  

I got 30 minutes of cardio in, and that was quite an experience after a month of illness.  My glycogen solidly ran out at exactly 22 minutes, and I hit a wall.  But I pushed through and completed 30 minutes.  I don't feel like I'm as shaky or starving as I normally am after a workout, but I AM hungry.  Gonna eat lunch!  

Funny you mention this Jenn: I recently started a new job, and there's a 24-Hour Fitness just down the road.  The job has long hours, and so I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate workouts in to my new schedule. With the 24HF I'm a little turned off by the initiation fee plus the annual fee, but since I'm not ready to make a decision right away, maybe I can find a coupon at some point.

Planet Fitness:  $10 initiation fee.  $10 a month.  $30 annual fee.  Visit any planet fitness in the country.  Deal.

I've never heard of Planet Fitness, I don't think we have them in California, at least not in LA.  

LOVE FOLLOWING YOU GUYS....keep coming back for the wisdom...and the photos of Rocket, but now, he has feline and bird competition!

Thanks for all the inspiration and information...really also thinking about going a bit more toward keto for myself, so all of your resources, Brewer, are terrific! You also inspired me, in a previous thread, to go for 10k a day. I've fallen off that a bit in the winter, but have locked in a more ambitious walking routine for sure anyway. 7k a day is pretty standard now...as Spring comes, I will be back to 10.

You all are the best.....my aspirational thread....my primary is with my original w30 gang

Cheers...and say a prayer for my 13 yr old pooch...going for surgery to remove a tumor on his leg next week...then come home wearing the CONE OF SHAME....poor guy.

Hey ~ good to hear from everyone...

Just got home from a long day, traveling up north to see family & get our taxes done.  So thankful for a nice refund ~ which is very much needed right now.  

Rocket got to visit with my parents' dogs again... and had his first close encounters with some CATS.  He didn't know quite what to make of them!   :lol:  I wish I had thought to get some pictures of that.

As it is ~ I just have this one.  My teenager was eating a piece of ham... and no he was not sharing it with the dogs... but they were very interested!

IMG_0776.jpg

Look how tiny he is, next to the other Shelties!   :wub:   It will be interesting to see how big he gets.  

...We'd really like him to just stay this size, please.  

I meant to add this:

Today, my steps were very low.

Yet... I did everything I needed to do.  

sat in the car because I had a lot of driving to do.

stood in the kitchen of my parents' house, and I listened to my mother's worries in life.  I stood there for hours.   I stood, and I listened.  I could have paced around and around... but that would have just been weird, and inappropriate.

I have a friend who has recently lost her mother ~ and I'm here to tell you, this has put things in perspective for me.   Worries about food and steps look absolutely ridiculous, when up against something like this. 

My mother and I had a rocky relationship when I was younger.  Tonight, we were getting along well.   Connecting.  My friends will remember my wine post from October.  Well, we had good talks tonight, and guess what?  No wine required.

Sometimes, we go MILES ahead in life ~ and there is no tangible way to record it.  It just is.

Brewer and all,

So, reading between the lines, am I right that eating a w30 plan without attending to total carb level is basically just SAD? For example, my eating plan now include sweet taters in practically every breakfast plan, and usually a grapefruit a day as well....am concerned enough to go get Jimmy Moores books, but would love your take on this. I think I recall a discussion, perhaps in another thread, about carbs of 33 or fewer? Let me say, I REALLY. Hate counting food...

And with regard to your mother, Brewer, as you may recall, mine died last March. Absolutely grab those moments, those FOCUSED, LOVING moments...and lots of TOUCH if it works for the two of you.

Brewer and all,

So, reading between the lines, am I right that eating a w30 plan without attending to total carb level is basically just SAD? For example, my eating plan now include sweet taters in practically every breakfast plan, and usually a grapefruit a day as well....am concerned enough to go get Jimmy Moores books, but would love your take on this. I think I recall a discussion, perhaps in another thread, about carbs of 33 or fewer? Let me say, I REALLY. Hate counting food...

And with regard to your mother, Brewer, as you may recall, mine died last March. Absolutely grab those moments, those FOCUSED, LOVING moments...and lots of TOUCH if it works for the two of you.

If you are staying on the higher end with your carbs (and you don't have to count) - yes, you are basically staying in the SAD realm.

Let me see if I can explain how to know if you are still SAD without having to count carbs.  Do you still have cravings for sweets?  Do you still walk through the grocery store eyeballing the candy/chip aisle.  Do you see the box of chocolates/cookies/etc in the break room at work and have to tell yourself you don't want them?  Then, you are still feeding you body carbs and causing it to want to use carbs as fuel.  I did several w30s.  Many of them much longer than 30 days.  I still struggled with that sugar dragon, although it did get better over time.  I followed advise received on the forum - "have a sweet potato", "eat starchy veg".  I felt good.  I had cleaned up my diet.  I wasn't eat in the processed foods anymore.  Aches and pains had gone away, I lost weight.  

However, over time, I realized that the sugar dragon was still there.  When I exerted myself (i.e. - all day hike), I HAD to take fuel with me - in the form of nuts and dried fruit - to have the energy to finish my day.  

When I began seeing posts about keto - my first thoughts were that I wasn't ready to "count" carbs.  I read the book Keto-clarity.  Finally, I decided that the benefits outweighed the negatives of counting and I started keto in the fall of last year (nov).  The biggest lesson that I learned - after one week of counting - is that you DONT HAVE TO COUNT!!!!!

Eat your whole 30 template:  some protein, veggies (stay with the low carb veggies - Brewer5 has posted the veggies list several times in this thread, but you can google it too), and fat.  Then, add more fat!  Cook with fat, eat the fat, don't be afraid of the fat!!!!!

I started counting to "make sure" I was staying under a number - there are lots of different people saying what the magic number is - and it is different for each of them.   Then I gave up counting because I just couldn't keep up with it.  I started tracking my ketones with a meter....  then gave up on that too.  I know how I FEEL when I am eating what my body wants - fat as fuel.  I can hike all day without a snack - and feel just as strong at the end as I did at the beginning.  I am mentally clear (when I don't have to work a night shift).  I sleep better.  I feel healthier.  I cope with stress better (i.e., i don't fall back into the bad eating habits as easily).  The best part?  I have NO DESIRE for the cookies, candies, cakes, pastas, etc that are all around me.  I rarely get Hungry, and don't get Hangry.  

Don't sweat the small stuff.  If you want to try keto - start small.  Stop eating fruit (have one occasionally if you really, really want it), stop eating the starchy veg.  See how you feel.  Don't be surprised if you have a touch of the carb flu, but it shouldn't be as bad as when you started w30 :)  See how your body reacts.  See what feels G.O.O.D. for you.  Maybe, keto isn't for you - but maybe it is!

Hey ~ good to hear from everyone...

Just got home from a long day, traveling up north to see family & get our taxes done.  So thankful for a nice refund ~ which is very much needed right now.  

Rocket got to visit with my parents' dogs again... and had his first close encounters with some CATS.  He didn't know quite what to make of them!   :lol:  I wish I had thought to get some pictures of that.

As it is ~ I just have this one.  My teenager was eating a piece of ham... and no he was not sharing it with the dogs... but they were very interested!

IMG_0776.jpg

Look how tiny he is, next to the other Shelties!   :wub:   It will be interesting to see how big he gets.  

...We'd really like him to just stay this size, please.  

Remind me again how old Rocket is - I'll bet he still has some growing to do!  And in the picture, he almost looks as big and the red and white....  

Next time, you might want to take him to practice with you to climb the stairs.  I'd bet he will grow into a great "step" partner for you - and it may help you get that extra sleep at night!

Remind me again how old Rocket is - I'll bet he still has some growing to do!  And in the picture, he almost looks as big and the red and white....  

Next time, you might want to take him to practice with you to climb the stairs.  I'd bet he will grow into a great "step" partner for you - and it may help you get that extra sleep at night!

He's just 5 months old.  I know he's not done growing... but we would like it if he stayed on the smaller side, so we can still carry him around like we all do.  The dog next to him is easily the biggest Sheltie my parents have ever owned.  They have 3 right now ~ one is elderly, and he is not in the picture.  It is so funny how they are all different shapes and sizes.

The picture must be deceiving...  Maeven (the sable girl) looks to all of us like a "walking sausage" right now.   :blink:  That's what the kids keep saying.  When we were camping with them when we first got Rocket, she still seemed young and vibrant.  MUCH thinner.  I don't know what my dad has been feeding her this winter!  And no, it is not just fur.  She's gotten fat.

If you're talking about taking Rocket to the art center for the kids' classes ~ that's a no go.  It's an old, beautiful historic building (used to be the Masonic Temple).  No pets allowed.  We do take him for lots of walks around the neighborhood, though.  He can't get enough of it!  Rain, snow, wind... he does not care.  I am pretty happy with the amount of time we've been able to spend outside this winter.  WAY more than usual.

• Moderators

He's just 5 months old.  I know he's not done growing... but we would like it if he stayed on the smaller side, so we can still carry him around like we all do.  The dog next to him is easily the biggest Sheltie my parents have ever owned.  They have 3 right now ~ one is elderly, and he is not in the picture.  It is so funny how they are all different shapes and sizes.

The picture must be deceiving...  Maeven (the sable girl) looks to all of us like a "walking sausage" right now.   :blink:  That's what the kids keep saying.  When we were camping with them when we first got Rocket, she still seemed young and vibrant.  MUCH thinner.  I don't know what my dad has been feeding her this winter!  And no, it is not just fur.  She's gotten fat.

If you're talking about taking Rocket to the art center for the kids' classes ~ that's a no go.  It's an old, beautiful historic building (used to be the Masonic Temple).  No pets allowed.  We do take him for lots of walks around the neighborhood, though.  He can't get enough of it!  Rain, snow, wind... he does not care.  I am pretty happy with the amount of time we've been able to spend outside this winter.  WAY more than usual.

Oh my gosh, send Maeven over here right now! I have such a bad crush on orange dogs and cats! She's beautiful, walking sausage or not!

I'm so glad you and your mom had that time to connect and be together! I don't recall the wine post but good for you for having a completely 'sober' (no food, wine, drugs to ease the sting) interaction!

Thanks, Sugarcube!

And yes... you're right about the food, too.  We took lots of stuff for salad, and we grilled all kinds of meat.  There was a big jar of kalamata olives, veggies and ranch, and my mom busted out her pork cracklings.   :lol:   They (sadly) do not eat like we do ~ but they DO respect it.  I am very thankful for that.

Here is the wine post.

And a follow up post here.

Archived