Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's the histamine/FailSafe research going?

You know... it's not really going right now.

I have had him eating fish every day (tuna or salmon) ... and/or taking a Carlson Super DHA ...  

He's been getting outside more for fresh air, exercise, and sunshine...

He's started Taijutsu two nights per week ~ also ceramics and acting...

We are doing our best with what we've learned about what works for him / what doesn't ... and ... knock on wood ... he is doing okay right now!   

:)

Holy small world, Batman!

I haven't logged on to Facebook in a couple days (I don't have a personal account, but I take care of my employer's page), but I go on tonight and see this posted:

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/histamine-intolerance-science/

Esmee La Fleur says "I am posting this here as well as the main group. It is the best over all article I have read to date ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and anyone with health issues should definitely read it."

I am not sure about the histamine thing with him ... but I do know he is sensitive to salicylates, for sure.  

It has helped that I am not pushing a Whole 30 way of eating on him anymore (protein+veggie+fat all the time) ...  

While I used to think this was the best way for everyone ~ life has shown me that that is not necessarily true.

Yup, Amazon!  What on earth would we do without Amazon? lol

Hey...  I didn't know if you were still reading posts here or not, so I answered for you.  ;)

I just cancelled my Prime membership ~ which I've had since 2009.  I feel a bit of panic about it.  haha

...But if it gets to be a total PITA not to have it...  all we have to do is sign back up, I guess.  For now ~ I am saving the $99.

Well, I'll just natter on then ---

Got frozen spinach this weekend, and darn, that is super convenient!

I've typically gotten the regular leaves in the plastic bins, and then there's the whole worry about finishing before they get too slimy (and also, sometimes the raw leaves taste a little woody) ...

But the frozen is perfect for adding to eggs, stirring in to ground beef, etc.

I might be a convert!

I might be a convert!

I've been addicted for a while, kirkor!  You cannot beat the convenience.  I buy an organic variety when it's on sale, and just stock up the freezer.  It ensures I'll ALWAYS have a good choice veggie at my fingertips!

• Administrators

Well, I'll just natter on then ---

Got frozen spinach this weekend, and darn, that is super convenient!

I've typically gotten the regular leaves in the plastic bins, and then there's the whole worry about finishing before they get too slimy (and also, sometimes the raw leaves taste a little woody) ...

I might be a convert!

So how do you use that then? It's the leaves all scrunched together in little spinach golf-balls, right? Doesn't it get hella-watery when you put it in eggs? Or do you plan ahead and defrost it first? I feel like defrosting negates the convenience aspect.

So how do you use that then? It's the leaves all scrunched together in little spinach golf-balls, right? Doesn't it get hella-watery when you put it in eggs? Or do you plan ahead and defrost it first? I feel like defrosting negates the convenience aspect.

Hmm, well in these most recent instances, I *did* have them thawed first, so that's a point I hadn't considered.

I've still got some of the bag frozen, so I'll see how I feel when using it straight from the freezer.

I buy the kind you can steam in the microwave straight from frozen.  It takes 5 minutes.  When it's done, I drain any excess liquid, and I haven't had any watery problems with adding them to eggs or other scramble type situations 

It's the leaves all scrunched together in little spinach golf-balls, right?

I first read "golf balls" and thought you just meant "chunky", but then I got to thinking, well, who knows what goes on up in wacky Canada, so I thought I'd clarify what I'm using:

jhmEv6M.jpg

(mainly it's just an excuse to give you a sneak peek at my kitchen mascot piggie)

Today the experiment is I put the frozen stuff in the to-go container, then I'm putting pulled pork on top, so we'll see how thawed out it is by lunch time!

• Administrators

I first read "golf balls" and thought you just meant "chunky", but then I got to thinking, well, who knows what goes on up in wacky Canada, so I thought I'd clarify what I'm using:

jhmEv6M.jpg

(mainly it's just an excuse to give you a sneak peek at my kitchen mascot piggie)

Today the experiment is I put the frozen stuff in the to-go container, then I'm putting pulled pork on top, so we'll see how thawed out it is by lunch time!

LOL, wacky Canada.  LOL! 

Here's how frozen spinach comes when I buy it: 

Frozen%20Spinach_zpsfx71k3lz.jpg

• Moderators

LOL, wacky Canada.  LOL! 

Here's how frozen spinach comes when I buy it: 

Frozen%20Spinach_zpsfx71k3lz.jpg

WHERE do you find THAT??  I'm also addicted to frozen spinach... I get mine in a flattened cardboard box... to thaw, if I am in a hurry, i take it out of the box and put it in a bowl with water and then squish all the water out of it... if I think ahead, I just leave it on the counter and then squish the water out before using.

Ok, what the heck?!?!

Tore my pants again!

This time, I was wearing swim trunks, so I should've had enough slack! I even felt a bit of a tug during the first set, so I made sure to hike them up, and even rolled the hem a bit to make sure I wouldn't bind up ...

and the damn things tore through!

I don't have a big butt, I swear. :)

LOL

So I got my husband a pair of shorts from Eddie Bauer. He was annoyed at first because he thought only old men should wear Eddie Bauer clothes....not his style. But they are his favorite shorts EVER now for the same reason, he really does have lots of junk in the trunk (hockey thighs and goalie butt). I think hey are called guide pro. And they make a pants version too, which he now owns lol.

Edited to add: they are a bit stretchy, that's why he loves them....no chance of ripping!

> He was annoyed at first because he thought only old men should wear Eddie Bauer clothes

That's extra funny to me, because when I was in Seattle in my 20s I wore lots of Eddie Bauer (well, maybe lots of people in Seattle did back then) ... I moved away from it not consciously but just, I dunno, my style changed ... then not too long ago a girlfriend was telling me that Eddie Bauer was like old guy clothing, and I was secretly offended but also did not want to admit that I used to rock their stuff.

Oh how the wheel turns!

Frozen spinach is awesome for making saag.  I've got a couple of bricks of it in the freezer next to the chicken broth -- we'll be having saag sometime soon.  First though, I'll be making cauliflower or broccoli soup, both of which I do with frozen veggies.  Totally awesome and really easy.

ThyPeace, really wishes she had a bigger freezer.

Archived