Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

To the ladies in the 2016 miles group:

I'm sorry to have to say this, but ~ I'm out.

I got this fitbit back in July, mainly to see how much I was actually moving ... and to see what was going on with my sleep.

It showed me that, while I was very active with my lifting -- I was not so active beyond that.  It motivated me to get moving around more, for sure.  We've been on more walks.  I've been more step-conscious.  

It showed me that my sleep is good!  I was averaging 7-8 hours per night, with 98-100% efficiency.  Great!  

It showed me that my sleep went to crap when we got Rocket.  ...Umm, hello?  I did not need a fitbit to tell me that!   :lol:   

IMG_2297.jpg

...And it has shown me that my sleep is gradually getting back to "normal".  Last week, I averaged 7:15 ~ the most I've had since October.

But here's the thing:

It has also caused me stress.  I have had steps in the back of my mind ~ lurking there ~ for 2 months straight now.  I have said all along, that I would keep up with this as long as it was a positive thing... but February is my SAD month, and it has not been a positive thing.  It has not motivated me to get on the treadmill, walk around at the art center, or to get outside any more than I already would have.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%209.39.5

Sure, I could bump up my daily goal and try to "catch up" -- but I've decided I don't want to.

I've been reading Jack Kruse's book, hanging around his website, and learning quite a bit.  I had already decided to stop wearing my fitbit to sleep ~ due to what I am learning about EMF exposure.  But then I realized I don't feel right about having it on my body all day long, either.  This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

I have felt bad about leaving the group, especially since I was the one who suggested it!  But I would feel worse to try to continue something for another 10 months that I don't really have my heart into anymore.  I will still be here to cheer on and congratulate anyone who decides to continue all year.

I've got other big things going on ~ this is not a "drop out due to depression" post -- I promise!   :lol:  I am learning and applying so much right now, and it is taking me in a really good direction.  It just happens to be a direction away from fitbit.  Last night, I shut it down completely and put it with its charger in the bottom of a drawer.  ...And you know what?  It felt really good.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, gosh, Brewer....I have been wondering about this. Must admit I have gotten pretty attached to my jawbone...makes it easy to track my workouts for the bonus I get at work for doing them, reminds me when it is time to get ready for bed, and buzzes to wake me up in the morning...BUT, having had external radiation therapy twice for breast cancer (now 16 years ago), I am keen to avoid too much radiation exposure....guess this also raises the question of whetherI am CRAZY to take my lunchtime walks (to meet my 10K a day goal) WHILE LISTENING TO A BOOK OR PODCAST on my phone.....Yikes.

As always, more to think about from this group....good stuff. Think I will try taking off the jawbone tonight for a change.

I have fallen quite begHind again this year. And I have thought about taking it off. However, I guess because I have been wearing it for so long, it is a fixture. Most of the time I ignore it. I also know that in the spring and summer, I usually get a lot of miles in. So, I decided to keep it on. But I am not worrying about the mileage right now. There are too many other things to stress over.

Speaking of walking, my new job makes me take an hour lunch. At my previous job I didn't take a lunch break and just ate when I could fit it in. Well, with the hour, now I don't really know what to do with the time. So I've started walking outside around the office (it's in one of those corporate park-type areas, with the nondescript buildings) ... it's been pretty great so far! I haven't wanted to do a full weights or cardio workout and deal with the changing clothes and/or sweat factor, and so walking gets me some activity but still fits well with the office environment.

Speaking of walking, my new job makes me take an hour lunch. At my previous job I didn't take a lunch break and just ate when I could fit it in. Well, with the hour, now I don't really know what to do with the time. So I've started walking outside around the office (it's in one of those corporate park-type areas, with the nondescript buildings) ... it's been pretty great so far! I haven't wanted to do a full weights or cardio workout and deal with the changing clothes and/or sweat factor, and so walking gets me some activity but still fits well with the office environment.

Im just  a little jealous :)  My job takes 1/2 off my pay for my meal break - even though most of the time I eat a bite here and there when I can.

Hi Brewer - I noticed when I checked the Fitbit stats today that you and Karen are both "off the grid" so to speak. I read the article about EMF exposure... interesting and a bit worrisome. I'll think on whether I am going to continue my pursuit of 2016 miles in 2016. Maybe when I read Epi-Paleo RX next week during spring break, I will decide to prioritize reducing my EMF exposure. 

Cheers.

Yeah...  {tumbleweeds rolling through}...  Sorry!   :wacko:

I don't know about fun and wonderful, but maybe one of these days I will have a great update to post.  I've been very bogged down with life lately.

Anyone else have anything awesome to share?   :ph34r:

Hey this is supposed to be a place to get away from all that life-boggy stuff -- so get back to posting while you're on your treadmill, etc. :)

Let's see ,,, something awesome to share ... commuting by motorcycle continues to go well, and lane-splitting is AWESOME!

Went to the zoo last weekend, so that's always cool.  Saw the panda bears which everyone always goes ga-ga over.

• Administrators

Let's see ,,, something awesome to share ... commuting by motorcycle continues to go well, and lane-splitting is AWESOME!

Wait, what? What do you ride? I'm about to insure my motorcycle later this week and Can. Not. WAIT for bike-commuting.  Seriously frigging giddy, I've had enough rain and miserable weather to last me a good long while. Bring on the loud pipes and leather!  LOL!

PS. Lane splitting is illegal here which is idiotic.

Yep yep I've ridden all over on my trusty KLR650.

2.jpg

California is the only state where splitting is legal, so don't look down too hard on BC.  I think it's the one thing anywhere on any topic where California is actually less] restrictive than other parts of the country.  -_- But man, as a recent transplant from the wide open spaces of Wyoming, I don't think there's any way I could stand commuting without the splitting factor.

• Moderators

Yep yep I've ridden all over on my trusty KLR650.

2.jpg

California is the only state where splitting is legal, so don't look down too hard on BC.  I think it's the one thing anywhere on any topic where California is actually less] restrictive than other parts of the country.  -_- But man, as a recent transplant from the wide open spaces of Wyoming, I don't think there's any way I could stand commuting without the splitting factor.

Watch out for those jerks that open their car doors! I've heard horror stories!

• Administrators

I always thought it was a good idea to get the bikes to the front of the "pack" at a traffic light. Safer for everyone. We considered doing it when we were in California but our bikes are pretty wide and it felt way too risky.

Archived