Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

OK - just a quick jump in here.  The difference in blood glucose meters in the US vs Australia (for example):  US measures in mg/dl and Australia measures in mmol/L.  I am quite sure there are conversion charts out there if you need them - or you can just get used to what the normals are.  I too have been able to :guess" my bs levels fairly accurately when I am eating well.  

The ketonix:  Although I wish that the ketonix wasn't so expensive, I am glad that I went for the breath analyzer.  I figured that if I would continue to use it, it would be cheaper in the long run.  I do find that the levels are higher in the morning - I think because of the prolonged fast before I test.  I have also noticed that "going off the trail" isn't reflected immediately, but rather a day or two later.  

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a mantra that we use at work:  treat the baby, not the numbers.  I think the same rings true here.  Numbers give us a good guideline.  But, you have pay attention to how you are feeling too.  It doesn't matter if you get your ketones consistently high if you don't feel good.  Same with blood sugar.  If you get low blood sugar but have no energy to do anything, you need to adjust something.

I've been thinking about all of the different ways I (we) can be more active and get more steps each day.  I am excited for the challenge!   :)

​The Christmas tree came down a couple of days ago, and the old treadmill went right in its spot.  I'm not sure how I feel about having that thing in the house again -- but I think it is essential to my success with this, at least in the winter months.

From now on, if you see me on the forums -- you can almost bet that I am in motion.   :lol:   I can read and walk.  I can post and walk.  I did it a lot this summer, pacing around and around and around at my kids' football practices, etc.  ...I actually really miss it.

We already park way out in the parking lot at the grocery store.  We already wander around and around at the stores to get as many steps as possible.  I've thought about adding in some extra, conscious laps -- like maybe a rule, we have to walk the perimeter of the parking lot before we can go in the store.  ...Oh, the kids would just LOVE me...  hahahaha.  But my husband would like it.  He is step-motivated because he gets to turn his in for gift cards at work!

As I said before -- dancing counts.  Marching while brushing your teeth counts.  I pace while I fold laundry.

I'd like to make a goal to take the kids to one of our state parks -- this is something we've never done in the wintertime.  I think we should go at least once a month.  Maybe twice a month.  I'll post pics if we actually do this.  I think we should.

All sorts of new ideas floating around.  If anyone has any good ones to share -- let's hear it!   :)

I will be thrilled to hear about new ways to get extra steps in.  

I loved when you mentioned marching while brushing your teeth.....  my fitbit doesn't pick up marching.  I am not sure why.  I have watched the steps - they don't move.  I can pace back and forth in the BR and that works.....

I wore my fitbit yesterday while I went kayaking.  No steps registered  :( in the three hours I was out there....  But that is ok - I have to be able to do other things and not just focus on the walking.  I remember this past summer wanting to do some other things besides walking but felt I couldn't take the time.  This year, I really want to do some other fun things to do :)

Right -- with the measuring -- these past 7 weeks have felt really different than my previous attempts at keto.  I've learned a lot.

I've been able to take the data in a more detached way, I think.  And when I got tired of taking the data -- I took that as a sign that I no longer needed it.  I haven't measured anything for several days now.  ...Actually, since before Christmas.

As I said before, as long as I'm feeling this good -- what I'm doing is working.  I am curious to see the blood ketone measurement with what I am doing now.  If it is on the lower end of things -- maybe I will make a few adjustments and see if I can feel and perform even better.  

But I am not joking when I say I will use it about once/week at this price!   :lol:   ...Just another cool tool in my science lab.  

Karen, I just went and logged 3 hours of kayaking on fitbit -- I thought it would convert to steps and give you credit for these other activities!  It didn't.  That's dumb.

Let's definitely not let our steps get in the way of doing other activities.  I think the point is that we are working toward a goal, and that we are more active.  I always hated that I worked my ass off lifting and it counted for nothing on there, too.  

I think if it becomes too stressful, then it's not a good goal.   :)

I am pretty sure my marching counted when I tried it out the other day.  I did more of a side-to-side march.  Maybe try that. 

kirkor, I hadn't seen anything like the Tricorder before.  Please update here -- if you find out whatever comes of this competition.  Sounds really cool!  Anything that can HELP people take their health back into their own hands.  ...I am just appalled when I really think of how out-of-touch people are with what is going on in their own bodies.  

Happy New Year, friends!  :)

Rocket won't go to bed because of the fireworks.

I am officially 150 steps into the 4,745,000 or so that are needed to reach my goal this year.   :lol:

My poor husband is working.

I put two grumpy kids to bed LONG before midnight.

This may perhaps be the most uneventful New Year's ever.  I hope you are all having fun!

So I haven't set foot on this treadmill in years. This sucker has traveled. Two houses and an apartment. It's been at my sister's house so my brother-in-law could use it to shape up for police training years ago. And back. It's been in storage recently. It's been in the garage, the sunroom. Possibly every room of this house. The bathrooms? Maybe. :D

So it's big & heavy & old & a bit noisy. But it's WORKING!

One thing I realized this morning that I think is great: The display is broken. So I can't see how fast I am going, or how far I have gone. That's good because I just want to walk like I would walk around the neighborhood & I want to pay attention to how I feel. I have been guilty of falling into the "further, faster, more" mentality in the past -- and that's not what this is about. This is about self-discipline and awareness for me.

Good morning!

How cool that you can walk on your treadmill while on the forums. Good way to get some steps in! 

So as you know, my husband and I are "in" for 2016 miles in 2016! This few days, I tried getting 5.5 miles in to figure out how this is going to work for me. I've done it each day since Monday! Of course, these are vacation days when the normal routines of life are not in place, so it may become a bit more challenging on certain days once school starts up again and so on. But we were talking on our walk yesterday about how having this goal will help us prioritize our time differently. Wo-hoo!

Sara, exactly. Instead of getting my coffee & plopping down on the couch with my laptop -- I:

Put my shoes on while my eyes were still closed.

Drank a glass of water.

Turned on the coffee pot & walked a little.

Went & got my coffee & walked some more.

But yes -- these will be "phone posts" -- which means I can't use all the smileys and my posts won't be too long!

One thing I realized this morning that I think is great: The display is broken. So I can't see how fast I am going, or how far I have gone. That's good because I just want to walk like I would walk around the neighborhood & I want to pay attention to how I feel. I have been guilty of falling into the "further, faster, more" mentality in the past -- and that's not what this is about. This is about self-discipline and awareness for me.

I often lay a towel across the display at the gym - or I will put the iPad over it with a movie on.  I try not to watch the timer too much :)  I get caught in that "further, faster, more" thinking also - trying to beat my time, beat my distance, etc.  Or, I stare at the timer and wonder why it doesn't seem to move.....

Hardy har, sir. :)

Reading Brain Maker on the treadmill now.

Came here to post this staggering statistic:

"About one in four adults in the US -- more than 26 percent of the population -- suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder." --page 4

^ This does not include the children. Think about what is going on with the children for a minute.

I have a good friend whose trusted pediatrician wrote her a prescription for Prozac for her son at the age of NINE. This is a boy who is "handled" by his parents just fine, but was having some difficulty at school.

She decided not to give it to him. ...But how common is this?

"New, leading-edge science coming from the most well-respected institutions around the world is discovering that to an extraordinary degree, brain health and, on the flip side, brain disease, are dictated by what goes on in the gut."

--pages 5-6

Just learned in my Feingold newsletter that Panera's tuna salad sandwich contains BLUE DYE. Mmmmm... Sign me up!

WHY?

And is it any wonder so many people are a mess?

Ick. Absolutely disgusting. I just don't understand why. 

It is definitely no wonder that so many people are such a mess.

Also, Carl's Jr (we don't have here) -- they have this new grass-fed, all-natural, no this, no that, perfect-sounding burger -- but Feingold says the ingredient list for the BUN is one of the *worst* they've ever seen. o_o

^ That's pretty bad. They've been doing this since the 70's.

So how many people do you suppose are feeling all warm and cozy about their burger... Having NO clue what's in their bun?

Also, Carl's Jr (we don't have here) -- they have this new grass-fed, all-natural, no this, no that, perfect-sounding burger -- but Feingold says the ingredient list for the BUN is one of the *worst* they've ever seen. o_o

^ That's pretty bad. They've been doing this since the 70's.

So how many people do you suppose are feeling all warm and cozy about their burger... Having NO clue what's in their bun?

Ya but you have Hardee's; potato/potato.

Archived