Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

Karen & Sara -- will you just STOP moving, so I can at least catch up with you?  Just -- stop.  Right where you are.  I will let you know when you can move again!     :lol:

I have been sitting on the couch sorting out a MOUNTAIN of mail that has been neglected for months.  Must be super important stuff, huh?  Oh, yes, please send me some more credit card offers... so I can pay my kids to shred them.    :rolleyes:

Now -- I'm on the move!  For real.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewer- Yeah, I'm fighting something off.  Last night I had body aches and a low-grade fever.  I don't feel terrible today, but have a scratchy throat.  I was always the girl who picked up EVERYTHING, so the fact I'm not dead in bed is good!  I throw credit to my excellent food health these last three months.  

Time to get back to exercise.  I can tell my weight loss is plateauing, and I think I need to move my body.  Also, as the weight has been coming off, I can see areas of my body I don't really like because they are flabby or giggly.  I finally feel like I have my appetite under control, and I feel "safe" adding exercise.  

Also, I've been kicking around the idea of a keto Whole30.   I physically feel WORLDS better doing keto, but some of my old symptoms are creeping back, like acne.  I've gone back to non-organic meat in about half my meals.  I think my water consumption has dropped a bit.  But I'm suspicious of dairy in my life.  And instead of ignoring the problem, I should *probably* figure it out lol.  Not sure when I'd do it.  We just bought a lot of groceries, and not all of them would be Whole30 compliant and I'm up to my butt in dairy products.  

Jess ~ well I was hoping you weren't sick, but also hoping you weren't having trouble sleeping -- since you said that had been a lot better. I hope you feel better soon!

So are you in on the 2016 challenge with us, or are you going to have other goals, you think? We'd all like to be fitbit friends, if you wanna -- or not, like I told Sara -- if you think we are weirdos. :D

I think a keto whole 30 sounds like a great idea (when you get all that dairy out of the picture). Then you'd REALLY be able to tell how that dairy is affecting you... Plus it would show you that keto minus dairy can actually be quite satisfying. I think it would be a good opportunity to branch out. :)

I used to have a fitbit, but I have no idea where all the parts are, and I'm too poor for a new one LOL  So i guess out for the challenge? LOL  I always just use the pedometer app on my phone when I'm at work, but turned it off recently because it was eating too much battery.  

I hope I don't get any sicker than this.  A lot of my co-workers are absolutely wrecked with a respiratory virus that is VERY bad.  I'm hoping I survive!  

Karen & Sara -- will you just STOP moving, so I can at least catch up with you?  Just -- stop.  Right where you are.  I will let you know when you can move again!     :lol:

I have been sitting on the couch sorting out a MOUNTAIN of mail that has been neglected for months.  Must be super important stuff, huh?  Oh, yes, please send me some more credit card offers... so I can pay my kids to shred them.    :rolleyes:

Now -- I'm on the move!  For real.

Ha - it's been a busy day for me. My husband and I took a 3.5 walk this morning with the pup (6-years-old, but I still call her puppy-girl) and after church we ran by the mall to look for a shirt for one of the kids. Then I had to make a quick stop into the grocery store. My left foot hurts a little at the second toe, so I may try to just hit the minimum tomorrow rather than getting ahead. 

It's hard to tell from this picture, but that's over 13lbs of ground beef divided into 2.5 lb bags, a couple lbs of chicken breast ready to freeze, and cooked chicken breast and drumsticks for the week!  Now that's a lot of food/freezer prep!  Plus, I made Jason some mashed potatoes, cooked up some shrimp scampi he wanted for an easy, go-to heat up meal, and cleaned the entire kitchen.  Ok, I'm tired now! 

I've made the definitive decision to cut dairy for at least 30 days.  I think it's causing me some problems, which makes me super sad, but I'm doing this to feel GOOD.  So 30 days dairy free, with re-intro of butter and heavy cream only.  I think cheese is the troublemaker, but we'll see.  Not sure exactly when I'm starting, (I need to eat up all my dairy! lol), but I'll let you guys know.  

post-80182-0-88083600-1451887938_thumb.j

For Jess ~ who will be going through dairy withdrawal soon, and needs ideas.  My food is not very exciting, but I told her I'd post it.   :)

IMG_8722.jpeg

organic baby spinach

2 hard-boiled eggs

spoonful of sauerkraut

lots of homemade mayo (made with MCT & garlic salt)

IMG_4300.jpeg

And this post makes me think of 2 things:

1)  I just said "my food is not very exciting".  Yet, it is completely satisfying.  I am no longer thrill eating.  That old urge pops up sometimes in the evenings with the kids, but my next thought is that I am no longer thrill eating.  And I move on.  There are so many other things to do in life.  

I have a shelf full of cookbooks, with glorious pictures in them, of recipes I'd like to try someday... maybe... but the reality is, I am perfectly fine with eating a simple diet and not feeling the need for new recipes all the time.  There is no "food boredom" (for me).  Since when does our food need to be exciting?  Enjoyable -- sure.  I'm not choking anything down!  But food is not going to be my entertainment on a lonely night home with the kids.

I went to the movies the other night and ~for the first time ever~ did not take a damn thing into that theater with me, besides my mug of coffee.  It was awesome.   :)  So freeing.

2)  littleg has talked about my food, that there is not a lot of volume.  I've realized, I have no need for a lot of volume.  My stomach is supposed to be about the size of my fist.  Why does it make sense to shovel in much more than that?  It really doesn't make much sense to me.  Oh, I used to do it, sure -- and I understand what it feels like to just need more, and more, and more.  But I don't think there is anything natural about that.  I think that means I was eating the wrong foods.  And that is gone for me now.  Gone.

Jimmy Moore's recent podcast with Dr. Ron Rosedale was a good one, and I recommend if to all. Sara brought it to my attention because he addresses the hair loss issue -- but lots of other good stuff there, too.

*thyroid* made me think of you, littleg.

He talks about many hormones and how basically every change is for the better.

He also talked a lot about protein requirements -- which I found very interesting (he keeps it pretty low, as does Dr. Perlmutter). Jess, probably lower than what you and I discussed.

They also discuss fasting & why it may be better to go ahead and eat fat and a little protein instead.

I hope anyone interested in keto will get to listen.

Okay, first up:  A post for Jess re: coconut manna.  

I've warned her that there are folks here who need to avoid it, because it can have that "eat half the jar" appeal -- but as I've told her, that does NOT happen with me.  I think this is a direct sign that people are not eating enough in general, and definitely not eating enough fat.

I had not eaten any -- maybe since my Keto Whole 30 last January?  But I found this unsweetened coconut hiding in the back of my fridge the other day, and it was almost expired, so I threw it in the food processor.

IMG_5474.jpg

Now, you can make this stuff go round and round (like you can with nuts & seeds) and it is SUPPOSED to turn into a butter... eventually.  However, I find this process painfully slow, and I am always worried about my food processor blowing up.  Lol.  So -- I always add some oil.  How much?  I don't know.  "Some".  A little here, a little there -- until it wants to turn into a butter.  (Here you can see it going around and around.)

IMG_7600.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

And we LOVE these little glass jars that the Purity Farms ghee comes in!  I use them for storing mayo, and now -- coconut manna.  (We just have to be careful not to get the two confused, because -- that would just be gross.)

IMG_1763.jpg

Hmm, I recently got a bag of shredded coconut that I wasn't sure what to do with ... do you think this would work with a normal blender instead of a food processor?

And what's the best to put this on? Eggs? Fish?

IMG_0139.jpeg

organic baby spinach

nitrate-free salami

homemade MCT mayo

olives, a few pearl onions & red peppers from the jar

red bell pepper

IMG_8445.jpeg

ONE spoon of coconut manna

IMG_6870.jpg

ONE ounce of raw macadamia nuts.  Yes, I measure my nuts.   ;)  This is because of past issues with over-consumption, which I no longer struggle with... but I want to be sure I am keeping that in check.  So I measure, to keep it real.

IMG_0467.jpg

--------------

Friends, let me just say now that you really need to be careful with MCT/coconut products.  I almost had an assident on the way to gymnastics tonight.  I can LMAO about it now....... but at the time, it was not funny!   :blink:

This is great when you need a clean-out....  but when you've got places to go -- not so much.  Oy.   :lol:

Hmm, I recently got a bag of shredded coconut that I wasn't sure what to do with ... do you think this would work with a normal blender instead of a food processor?

And what's the best to put this on? Eggs? Fish?

I am not sure?  If you were going to try it -- maybe try it with a much smaller amount of coconut and oil.  I can't see it working with a large amount.

And to me, this is sweet.  I know my taste buds have changed a lot, because -- almost too sweet.  I have had it as an extra fat at the end of a meal, or in the past I would have a spoonful of it when I was having black coffee and didn't want to eat food food.  Just to have a little something with it.  

The idea of it on eggs or fish does not sound good to me.

Cool, I'll try it in a salad like your pics.

re: the coconut/bathroom connection, I keep reading about it, but I don't think it's hit me yet. There was one time where I kinda thought it might be related, but it wasn't conclusive.

Maybe tomorrow I'll down like 4 Tbsp and see what happens. :)

No, not IN a salad!  Lol.  I ate it AFTER the salad.  

Re: the urgent bathroom trip.  I had a large amount of MCT oil mayo with two meals + the spoon of coconut manna....  If I had been at home, it would have been fine -- but I was in the car, and my kid LOVES gymnastics, so I didn't want to be late, and it was... well, it was just a really shitty situation!   :lol:

Last post for the evening (geez, I've been saving them up because I had to walk around so much and get all my steps in tonight!)

IMG_2638.jpeg

3rd time we have made the wing recipe from littleg:

http://eatlivepaleo.com/2013/02/09/crispy-spicy-oven-baked-chicken-wings/

Tonight may have been the best yet -- we used coconut oil.  First time was olive, second time was butter.

Folks, these are so easy -- and SO good.  I am so thankful for this recipe, Laura!   :)

We use frozen wings.  We don't let them marinate for very long at all.  We use garlic powder instead of cloves.  We skip the cayenne.  Still awesome.  The whole family chows down!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I'm laughing out loud at the exchanges on here... :)

Kirkor - coconut butter is THE BEST THING EVER.  It is a nut butter - so use it like you would other nut butters, not on salami salad ;)  I don't think it will work in a blender, but I might be wrong.  Even my old crappy food processor couldn't do it.  My fancy-shmancy-wedding-registry food processor does it perfectly.  Now, with that in mind, if you find yourself with an extra $15 around... the Nutiva coconut manna is somehow better than all the other brands and my homemade stuff.

Brewer - glad you like the wings.  We keep planning on making them but wings are so expensive around here :(  Every once in a while I get luck at the co-op and they mark down the pastured stuff because it is at its sell by date - that is when I stock up.  

I was listening to a bulletproof podcast the other day and the founder guy was saying that his MCT oil is better than the rest... per him (maybe mumbo jumbo) there are 4 MCTs C-6, C-4... etc.  Two of them are supposed to be the ones that cause GI distress.  So *his* oil doesn't have any of that chain length triglycerides in it.  I was wondering what kind you got since you'd mentioned it before.  But I see it is the NOW brand.  I can only buy a 32 oz jar of it so I've been holding out.  

To be clear: I do eat a lot of MCT & coconut oil, generally without problem.

A large part of my anxiety in the past was due to upset stomach (had no idea at the time, but I suspect gluten was a big player). There is nothing in the world quite like not knowing if you are going to make it to the bathroom. On a regular basis. It was horrible. So as soon as I started to feel that way... I got NERVOUS. Whew! :D

My kids eat it too, and no problems. But they don't eat as much as I had yesterday.

Archived