Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

• Administrators

Thanks, that was very helpful.

So would keeping to that one fist-sized serving of starchy veg a day and not eating any fruit be considered VERY low carb/ketogenic? Or just low carb?

I did some more research on the breastfeeding/low-carb issue. Seems that if one actually does go into a ketogenic state, the ketones are released into the blood and urine, so very possibly also in breastmilk, and we don't know what effect that would have on the baby.

I include a small serving of starchy veggie every day, probably a little smaller than fist sized. Since I don't test, it's hard to say for sure. But I didn't set out to get into ketosis so I'm not overly worried whether I am or amn't. ;)

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Did you know that human newborns and exclusively breastfed babies are in ketosis? 1 I am a dietitian, with two years of intensive postgraduate training in nutrition, and I didn’t realise this until just over a month ago. The fact that human babies are naturally in ketosis is an inconvenient truth because it implies that ketosis (which also occurs when fasting or eating a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet) is not only a natural metabolic state for human infants, but that it’s probably beneficial too. Nature seldom does something without a reason, so it’s likely that ketosis may confer some kind of evolutionary advantage to human infants. Research suggests that it may be one of the main factors behind the development of the large human brain."

http://realmealrevolution.com/real-thinking/ketosis-key-to-human-babies-big-brains

I am not advising you one way or another ~ but I find it interesting that most folks don't realize this.  My babies got very little nourishment before my milk came in ~ which as you know, can take days.  Good old colostrum, and ketosis.  It's how we're made.

One of the things this natural ketosis does for newborns is help regulate their blood sugars and feeds their brain until mother's milk comes in - along with lots and lots of skin to skin contact :)

Keto Whole30 starts TOMORROW.  I was temporarily disheartened by some mean-spirited comments someone I thought was a friend made to me on Facebook, but it's happening.  I've been eating like crap since Tuesday, and now I have a rash from head to toe, as well as headaches and a gnarly IBS flare.  

I know I can count on you fine people to hold me accountable. 

Rashes can be so weird.  I had one all over my ears and neck back in October (couple potential causes, not diet related), and ended up going through a lot of coconut oil trying to keep it from getting too dried out and itchy.

Hi Brewer and all - 

Just checking in and catching up. My week flew by with all kinds of silliness. Kind of exhausting. 

You are so right, Brewer, that when we don't numb out with sugar or carbs or alcohol, it can be darn uncomfortable. But it's what I want to want. Sometimes I still want to numb out and still do it. It's a journey...

Sara, I've been thinking of you ~ and a message would have been coming your way, if you didn't check in soon.   :)

Once again, I have sat here and tried to type out details of my current stress ~ and I just can't.

But I think the main point is...  After you have numbed out for so long (and essentially buried your head in the sand a lot, just to get through the crazy days, day after day after day)...   Reality can hit you like a ton of bricks.

You know what I have noticed?  I can look back and see this trend.  And this I will share here, because it may help others:  

When my eating is 100% cleaned-up and I've got that carb dragon squashed like a bug..........  I am so mentally sharp and alert, that I do look forward to a drink in the evenings, to unwind.  It is when I sit, and relax, and laugh, and type.  And then I can go to bed and I sleep like a ROCK.  (Silver tequila with sparkling water is what works for me... clearly wine did NOT.)  

When I am going with my cravings... when we are ordering food and plopping down with a movie (which used to be our entertainment during these long, crappy winters:  food & TV)...  I don't drink much alcohol at all.  Certainly not every night.  Because the carbs are relaxing.  But they also make me want more, and more, and more... they make me sleepy (and grumpy), but then my sleep quality is NOT great... and I wake up in the morning feeling hungover, anyway... and it does crazy things to my blood sugar, and, and, and........

So.  Just saying ~ it is a journey, for sure.  I still have thoughts of mass quantities of rice or tortilla chips from time to time, but I have seen what that does to my blood sugar, and it is NOT pretty.  I cannot afford to go back there.

Oh my...  You guys...  This made me laugh SO much just now.

"You know you talk about Whole 30 a lot, when......."   :lol: 

IMG_9996.jpeg

No, really, I can't stop LOL every time I look at it.   :lol:  ...He did this totally on his own ~ and then showed it to me.

Catching up today a little, won't have time to write much but just wanted to say I hear you on the instant gratification and funky financial decisions....omg have been there....Have been thinking about sugar SO much!!! Am really so sad about it, and disheartened. About how it is ruining people. Families. Me.

On the topic of carbohydrate. Carbs have increased a lot since I have been on my holiday....I don't feel the same. I won't say I feel terrible, but I just don't feel my best. It's fine for this purpose, eating whole30 on vacation is a huge feat for me, but I am realizing that I want to go back to feeling my best. Also, interesting to note I felt some pretty dramatic weight gain happen over the last couple of days -- like all over puffiness, abdominal bloat, etc. attributing it to increased carbs and probably the long flight as well.

Anyways, hope everyone is well....and making good sugar decisions ;)

Jess -- you can do this, and know I'm still whole30ing with you, just one day at a time.

Hey guys!

So I went to bed pretty late last night helping my boyfriend tweak his resume.  Woke up at around 9:30 (still rashy, now it's on the palms of my hands!), and realized OH CRAP, I need ghee!  So off to the store lol.  Did all the shopping and just got back.  Cooked up a quick breakfast, which tasted AMAZING!  2 free range eggs, about 1/4 cup spinach, 1/4 cup mushrooms, all cooked up in ghee and coconut oil.  Topped it with a 1/4 avocado and one cherry tomato for presentation lol.  I realized late in the game that I cannot use my precious Applegate Farms organic bacon, because they use cane sugar!  Granted, it's less than 2%, but still, Whole30 rules.  Sigh.  So getting enough fat in this meal was a challenge.  But it was SO GOOD.  

Also picked up some very fancy probiotics at Sprouts, so Operation Heal My Gut is in full swing!  Picture of my breakfast below.  

post-80182-0-03522900-1454181406_thumb.j

I ate breakfast, then fell back asleep for almost 3 hours.  Woke up hungry, but in a carby craving way, not in a real hunger way.  Sigh.  I really messed myself up, didn't I?  I ate a handful of nuts.  Still felt so hungry but not hungry.  

So I made a deconstructed taco bowl and some steamed broccoli and I'm having that now.  

BTW, even in this state, my Ketonix claims I'm ketogenic deep into the yellow zone.  Yeah, I'm sending this thing back.  

Jess ~ I forget, how were things left with the company?  Did they say you CAN get a refund?

The blood testing may be something you are interested in for the future...  I mean, it is of course not necessary, but it IS cool.  I got my monitor for around $20 on Walmart's website ...  It's the strips that are so darn expensive!  I really have only used 3 of them, this entire time.   What's really cool is that I can almost predict what it's going to tell me, based on how I am feeling.

Jess ~ I forget, how were things left with the company?  Did they say you CAN get a refund?

The blood testing may be something you are interested in for the future...  I mean, it is of course not necessary, but it IS cool.  I got my monitor for around $20 on Walmart's website ...  It's the strips that are so darn expensive!  I really have only used 3 of them, this entire time.   What's really cool is that I can almost predict what it's going to tell me, based on how I am feeling.

At the time, the rep said he wanted me to be satisfied, even if it meant returning the unit.  I emailed him, we'll see what he says.

I feel like blood testing is the way to go for me.  Looking into it tonight.  

Hey Jess ~ I'm quitting coffee again today. Not a Whole 30... But it's gonna be huge! How about that? :)

I had been quit for ... I'm not even sure how long? Months? When we went to Florida almost 2 years ago, and I got sucked into the Starbucks that was IN our hotel at Universal. o_o

I woke up today and my brain said, "No more. I'm out." ...Well, okay then. Green tea it is!

Hey Jess ~ I'm quitting coffee again today. Not a Whole 30... But it's gonna be huge! How about that? :)

I had been quit for ... I'm not even sure how long? Months? When we went to Florida almost 2 years ago, and I got sucked into the Starbucks that was IN our hotel at Universal. o_o

I woke up today and my brain said, "No more. I'm out." ...Well, okay then. Green tea it is!

Wow, good for you girl!  I find I don't drink as much tea now that I'm off dairy.  I'm kind of a tea junky too, I have an entire TEA SHELF in my kitchen lololol.

Day 2.  The Sugar Dragon jerk persists in torturing me.  Yet there's nothing specific I want.  Just my brain repeating a zombie-like refrain of "CAAAAAARRRRRBBBSSSSS"

I cannot wait to get through this phase.  

And the rash is still there.  Pretty much unchanged.  Geeze.  

Archived