Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

Sorry, Jess!  I hope all this nastiness clears out for you, soon.

I was reading an article the other day that was talking about all of the different options on a ketogenic diet...  and they talked about how some people choose to have a carb day (or whatever you want to call it).   And it said that many people do not choose to do this ~ because of the cravings it awakens.  That is me, lately, for sure.  I got so tired of that mental struggle that you are going through now.  I just decided it is no longer worth it.    :wacko:

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen, Sara, Lauren ~

Okay, ladies....  It is the end of January, and I have been looking forward to doing this post.  We are 1/12 of the way to our goal of 2016 miles in 2016......... And how are we feeling about it?

I would just like to say that I think it is GREAT for all of us to have goals -- as long as those goals don't become too stressful and completely take over our lives.   :)

I am not to that point, yet.  So far, this still feels like a good goal.  But if anyone wants out, I say ~ feel free to let go of this goal, in favor of other goals for your year.  There is no shame in that.  In fact, we should all be proud of ourselves for staying very self-aware... regardless of the outcome of this particular goal.

I admit, there were times this month where I did let myself feel a bit stressed about not "getting my steps in".  BUT.  Those times were few and far between, and for the most part ~ this was a very positive force in my life, driving me to move more when I could.  So far, so good.  I can tell when it is time to sit down with my kid and play chess, or watch a movie, and I am not putting those things off so that I can "step".  

---------

So here's how my progress looks so far:  

I need to average 5.6 miles every day for the rest of the year, to make this goal.  That is still very do-able.

THIS I found to be really cool:  In January, I literally (almost freakishly exactly) doubled my activity, as compared to December.

December:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%201.24.2

January:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%201.23.5

...I swear... I didn't plan it out that way.   :lol:   But the geek in me thought it was pretty cool!

And a side note:  Anyone else think it is completely ridiculous that I DOUBLED my mileage, but their calorie calculation only changed by ~900 calories?  Come on.  What a joke.  One more reason to not even look at that number (which I don't).

Brewer, Karen and Lauren,

I think it's a good idea to reevaluate the milage goal each month to make sure it's still a good thing in our lives. 

So far, for me it's been excellent. It has revealed to me that I have plenty of time in my day nearly every day to take a walk and that there are numerous ways I can be a little bit more active.

I am looking at adding in some body weight exercises to ease back into doing some strength work. I figure if I do this type stuff (squats, split squats, lunges, maybe some kettle bell swings) at home this month, that will be a good intro into lifting again in the near future. I've been saying for a long time - maybe 2 years - that I intend to get back to lifting weights. It seems like since I began training to become a yoga instructor (4 years ago) and then started teaching (3.5 years ago), most of my energy has been put in that arena. I love yoga and feel called to teach it. I also think weights and HIIT are important types of exercise for good health. As is walking. The challenge is to find a balance.

"Begin." Body weight exercise and kettle bells at home in February. I think 3 times per week for 15 minutes would be a good place to start. Simple and achievable. I'll keep you posted how it's going. 

Brewer - wow! So cool that you doubled your activity! Amazing. I was already walking a lot in December, so I increased my activity, but not by anywhere close to that much.

And I noticed the calorie thing before reading where you pointed that out. Stupid calories. They do NOT tell the whole story. I never look at my calorie count, either. :)

Ok!  That damned Ketonix is going back!  My blood testing meter should be arriving in the next day or two.  The Ketonix is great if it works for you, but it didn't feel like the right choice for me.  The company was really a joy to work with, and I have no complaints about that side of things.  I'll be so interested to see if I really pop into deep ketosis easy as pie according to blood testing, which is what my Ketonix liked to tell me.  Even after 5 days of poor eating (but NOT "pizza and beer" eating), it was putting me yellow, nearly red.  That just doesn't seem right to me.  Also Jason, who eats very healthy but not LCHF, would consistently blow red on the Ketonix.  He's not eating "pizza and beer" diet either.  So either our Ketonix was defective, or we're both ketosis champions and I owe Ketonix an apology! LOL

Day 3 of my Keto Whole30!.  Rash still there.  I traditionally don't clear rashes quickly/well, despite benadryl nightly.  But I woke up feeling much better today than I've felt physically.  I took the benadryl VERY late last night (close to 1am), and still woke up on my own without an alarm, after about 7 hours of sleep. Normally, that stuff knocks me for a huge loop and not only do I sleep for 12 hours if I don't set an alarm, I wake up with "medicine head."

Well, off to the post office to mail this sucker back to its maker!  I'll check in with you guys later!

Jess ~ yeah... It will be cool to hear what you find out with your blood ketone measurements.  :)

Did you find a cheap source for strips?  I know Julie posted a link I need to check out when it's time to reorder.  I got 10 strips on Amazon for $35.90 or something like that.  ...That would be why only 3 of them have been used. 

I don't think I will ever go back to blowing in my old Ketonix again, which is a shame.  It was a lot of money.

Jess ~ yeah... It will be cool to hear what you find out with your blood ketone measurements.   :)

Did you find a cheap source for strips?  I know Julie posted a link I need to check out when it's time to reorder.  I got 10 strips on Amazon for $35.90 or something like that.  ...That would be why only 3 of them have been used. 

I don't think I will ever go back to blowing in my old Ketonix again, which is a shame.  It was a lot of money.

I'm excited, Brewer!  Though expensive, I know my results will be real and substantiated.  That makes me happy, despite the cost of strips LOL.  I found the same link on Amazon.  I plan to test when I get it for baseline (though I may have popped back in to ketosis by then, who knows), and then only once a week tops.  Hopefully those suckers last me! 

It makes me sad about my Ketonix too.  Yes, they are very expensive.  And I had really high hopes for a non-invasive method.  But I cannot bring myself to trust my results.  In science, a reliable result is both consistent and replicable.  I wasn't getting either of those things out my Ketonix.  Even after contacting the company with my concerns, I followed their instructions to the letter, and was having the same problems.  Not good.

I'm enjoying a breakfast scramble I've fallen in love with lately!  I can only do it on days I'm not working, since it takes too long for a workday.  But I love sautéing up crimini mushrooms and spinach in coconut oil and ghee, then scrambling in two eggs seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic.  I toss a 1/4 avocado on top, and it's HEAVEN! :D  

• Moderators

Karen, Sara, Lauren ~

Okay, ladies....  It is the end of January, and I have been looking forward to doing this post.  We are 1/12 of the way to our goal of 2016 miles in 2016......... And how are we feeling about it?

I would just like to say that I think it is GREAT for all of us to have goals -- as long as those goals don't become too stressful and completely take over our lives.   :)

I am not to that point, yet.  So far, this still feels like a good goal.  But if anyone wants out, I say ~ feel free to let go of this goal, in favor of other goals for your year.  There is no shame in that.  In fact, we should all be proud of ourselves for staying very self-aware... regardless of the outcome of this particular goal.

I admit, there were times this month where I did let myself feel a bit stressed about not "getting my steps in".  BUT.  Those times were few and far between, and for the most part ~ this was a very positive force in my life, driving me to move more when I could.  So far, so good.  I can tell when it is time to sit down with my kid and play chess, or watch a movie, and I am not putting those things off so that I can "step".  

---------

So here's how my progress looks so far:  

I need to average 5.6 miles every day for the rest of the year, to make this goal.  That is still very do-able.

THIS I found to be really cool:  In January, I literally (almost freakishly exactly) doubled my activity, as compared to December.

December:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%201.24.2

January:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%201.23.5

...I swear... I didn't plan it out that way.   :lol:   But the geek in me thought it was pretty cool!

And a side note:  Anyone else think it is completely ridiculous that I DOUBLED my mileage, but their calorie calculation only changed by ~900 calories?  Come on.  What a joke.  One more reason to not even look at that number (which I don't).

The first thing I thought was how stupid the calorie calculator was that it only changed by a fraction... plus, it doesn't really know if you were carrying a 40pound sack of potatoes around with you so it's a completely inaccurate number... good for you tho!  I have an old school fit bit.. maybe I should join this challenge...

The first thing I thought was how stupid the calorie calculator was that it only changed by a fraction... plus, it doesn't really know if you were carrying a 40pound sack of potatoes around with you so it's a completely inaccurate number... good for you tho!  I have an old school fit bit.. maybe I should join this challenge...

I know, it is SO stupid.   :lol:

I wish I could eliminate it from my view altogether ~ but I really did get out of that "calorie" mindset long enough ago... that I guess it doesn't bother me.  It's just dumb.

I literally doubled my activity, and it says I burned 854 more calories.  haha  I'm pretty sure I can burn 854 calories just by THINKING about doubling my activity!   :lol:

If you do want to join in... send us/me a PM with your email address for fitbit ~ if you want.  It's just the four of us (and two husbands who have different trackers) so far.  The more, the merrier!  

I think the key message here is:  Just don't let it stress you out.   ;)  We've all agreed it needs to be a positive thing, or we're out.

Let me go home and find my fitbit and see if it still works... :)

Do I get to set my own goal or is it 2016 in 2016 only?

We're all shooting for 2016 in 2016 ~ but we all started at the beginning of the year, too.   ;)

I think you do whatever you want to do.  The point for all of us is to get moving MORE...  and it has been good for that, so far!  It really makes you think about all of the ways you can get some extra steps in, and is a good motivator when you know you need to get your butt up off the couch.  We've been taking more walks -- even when sock hats and gloves are required.  We park WAY out in the parking lot, we walk around and around the stores and the mall...  Overall, so far, a good thing.

There's always 2017 in 2017 or 2018 in 2018 ... I just think it would be cool to be able to say we did it.  :)

Ok!  That damned Ketonix is going back!  My blood testing meter should be arriving in the next day or two.  The Ketonix is great if it works for you, but it didn't feel like the right choice for me.  The company was really a joy to work with, and I have no complaints about that side of things.  I'll be so interested to see if I really pop into deep ketosis easy as pie according to blood testing, which is what my Ketonix liked to tell me.  Even after 5 days of poor eating (but NOT "pizza and beer" eating), it was putting me yellow, nearly red.  That just doesn't seem right to me.  Also Jason, who eats very healthy but not LCHF, would consistently blow red on the Ketonix.  He's not eating "pizza and beer" diet either.  So either our Ketonix was defective, or we're both ketosis champions and I owe Ketonix an apology! LOL

Day 3 of my Keto Whole30!.  Rash still there.  I traditionally don't clear rashes quickly/well, despite benadryl nightly.  But I woke up feeling much better today than I've felt physically.  I took the benadryl VERY late last night (close to 1am), and still woke up on my own without an alarm, after about 7 hours of sleep. Normally, that stuff knocks me for a huge loop and not only do I sleep for 12 hours if I don't set an alarm, I wake up with "medicine head."

Well, off to the post office to mail this sucker back to its maker!  I'll check in with you guys later!

Just curious - but did you ever do the three day water fast to check what your ranges should be?  It was on their website....  I have to admit that I never did it - jus went with the preset "normal" ranges (not sport or nutritional).

I know, it is SO stupid.   :lol:

I wish I could eliminate it from my view altogether ~ but I really did get out of that "calorie" mindset long enough ago... that I guess it doesn't bother me.  It's just dumb.

Im not sure how this will sound - but in all the years that I have been using my fitbit, I have never (and I mean NEVER) noticed the calorie counter on there........

Just curious - but did you ever do the three day water fast to check what your ranges should be?  It was on their website....  I have to admit that I never did it - jus went with the preset "normal" ranges (not sport or nutritional).

Nope.  Because a 3 day water fast strikes me as crazy and pretty ill-advised (not to mention miserable).  If that's what it would take to use this thing properly, I'll just blood test.  And for the record, their representative did not mention a water fast in his long list of things he wanted me to do to garner accurate results.  

If you do want to join in... send us/me a PM with your email address for fitbit ~ if you want.  It's just the four of us (and two husbands who have different trackers) so far.  The more, the merrier!  

I think the key message here is:  Just don't let it stress you out.   ;)  We've all agreed it needs to be a positive thing, or we're out.

Sugarcube, I would love to add you as a friend too :)

Im not sure how this will sound - but in all the years that I have been using my fitbit, I have never (and I mean NEVER) noticed the calorie counter on there........

LOL... you mean, you don't know how this will sound, as in:  Will make you sound like you are completely unobservant?   :D

There is a setting to make the calories NOT show up on your actual fitbit (and that is how I have mine... along with shutting off the annoying "chatter") -- but do you mean you have never noticed it on reports like these, either?   :blink:

It also shows up on one of my tiles on my dashboard... 

Day 2 with no coffee, almost complete ~ and, so far so good.  I am drinking green tea instead, and that is a nice change.  

I slept 8 hours, 46 minutes last night   :o  ~ the most sleep I have had in the past 30 days.  I wish I could see my fitbit sleep data beyond 30 days...  It may be the most sleep I've had since OCTOBER!  (Before we got the puppy.)

I meant to post last night and say that while my husband and kids had Panda Express ~ I had no desire.  They got it to-go...  I came home and made a big-ass salad with lots of mayo, salami, pepperoni, olives, peppers, bruschetta...  It was glorious.

The kids' spring classes have started up, and we will be out-and-about 4 nights per week now.  This begins what is usually a stressful time for me ~ where we sort of derailed last year, and started hitting drive-throughs and eating convenience foods too often.  I am determined to not let that happen again.  I will think ahead and be more prepared.  I will not feed everyone junk because I am mentally overwhelmed.  I will not be mentally overwhelmed... because I am no longer that person.   :)  Things are different now.

Tonight, as I was heading out the door ~ I filled up the instant pot with a little bit of organic chicken stock, a family pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs, an assortment of frozen mixed vegetables, and dumped on some seasonings.  Pushed the "poultry" button, and:  DONE.  I came home to a house that smelled like wonderful food, and 2 kids that had already eaten an awesome supper.  Now... if I can just do this for about 47 more nights of classes.....  then baseball begins. 

LOL... you mean, you don't know how this will sound, as in:  Will make you sound like you are completely unobservant?   :D

There is a setting to make the calories NOT show up on your actual fitbit (and that is how I have mine... along with shutting off the annoying "chatter") -- but do you mean you have never noticed it on reports like these, either?   :blink:

It also shows up on one of my tiles on my dashboard... 

So, upon further inspection, it is on my screen too - and my dashboard.  And no, I never really noticed it on your posts before....  and yes, I suppose that is makes me "completely unobservant".  However, I would rather say that rather that being unobservant, I am just really, really focused on the things that matter - like the number of steps :)

Archived