Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

Tonight, as I was heading out the door ~ I filled up the instant pot with a little bit of organic chicken stock, a family pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs, an assortment of frozen mixed vegetables, and dumped on some seasonings.  Pushed the "poultry" button, and:  DONE.  I came home to a house that smelled like wonderful food, and 2 kids that had already eaten an awesome supper.  Now... if I can just do this for about 47 more nights of classes.....  then baseball begins. 

oh crumb....  I am sitting in bed reading this, realizing that I meant to put the pork butt in the crock pot tonight....  now I am debating on whether I should get out of bed and go do it - or get up early tomorrow morning and put it on so it will be done before I go to work tomorrow evening.  *sigh*

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys, even though it's time consuming and I HATE making a huge mess in my kitchen on a work night, I just cooked up a TON of food, so no excuses!  I did a dozen drumsticks, a dozen hardboiled eggs, a fresh batch of mayo, and there are two small chuck roasts cooking away in the crockpot in a puddle of deliciousness.  

Now I have to get my uniforms ready for this week, take a shower, and WATCH X-FILES (because priorities lol).  I've had a headache every night of this Whole30.  It's getting on my nerves!  

Karen, I'm on my tiny phone so can't quote well, but ~

One: You know I was totally joking with you about being completely unobservant. I didn't know what you meant by "not sure how this will sound".

Two: I don't think it has ever been on anything else I have posted here before. That is the first time I have done a monthly report like that.

• Moderators

I'll endeavor to find it tonight!

Okay I found it... it's currently charging so I'll wear it tomorrow... I doubt very much that my steps are going to be ground breaking but I do want to get a baseline on how much I move around before charging ahead with increasing my mileage... 

Hi Brewer and company - 

Ok - so yesterday I worked out at home for 15 minutes with 3 sets of body weight squats, split squats and lunges, interspersed with dancing around the house during the breaks between sets. Holy toledo! I haven't done anything like this in AWHILE and my booty is talking to me today! Wow.

I was listening to Dave Asprey interview Dr. Perlmutter on a podcast in the car this morning, and it ended with his top 3 recommendations (which turned into 6) for us to live healthier lives. I thought I would share. 

1. Be forgiving. No one is perfect.

2. Ensure that you get aerobic exercise on a daily basis (our step goals encourage this!)

3. Eat a high fat, low carb, high fiber diet

4. Ensure that you get an adequate amount of sleep

5. Have a period of fasting every day - 12 hours - don't eat after dinner and delay your breakfast

6. Prayer/meditation - a vital part of being human

Well ... Here's a keto / NSV I would like to share. It is a great example of how our minds can try to screw with us, I think.

I am back at the art center, doing steps & floors. I may not be able to walk tomorrow, but by golly, I am chugging along.

In the fall, when I was doing so many floors, I was eating {undisclosed} carbs at night, and I was still drinking coffee ... Although, now that I think about it ~ it was mostly decaf, because we hadn't gotten Rocket yet.

So today, knowing that I wanted to do a crap ton of stairs ... My mind started going, "Hmmm, how are you going to do without many carbs, and no coffee?"

Well, duh. I am trucking along just fine. I even was up half the night with the neighbor's newborn. Chugga chugga, no problem. Why was I even doubting myself? Probably because after we got Rocket, I had a HUGE dip in energy, and just stopped doing floors at all. But that was when I really made a concentrated effort to get back to my keto & whole 30 ways.

P.S. No idea how many floors I have done so far ~ I just keep going like the energizer bunny ~ but for reals... I may not be able to get out of bed tomorrow! :D

WOW...  I have not done this since September, as far as I can tell...  And I got a new badge tonight for a new record -- 77 floors!   :o

The best part:  I still feel frickin great!

Wow.  

Did I mention... wow?   :lol:

Okay... off to fix supper now.

OMG Brewer, that's AWESOME!!!!!!! Proud of you!

Day 5 of my Keto whole30 and I feel GREAT! Almost back to where I was before I got sick! Except for the rash.... Ugh, damn rash.

I'm actually at work right now, so I have to run. I'll post more later!

• Moderators

WOW...  I have not done this since September, as far as I can tell...  And I got a new badge tonight for a new record -- 77 floors!   :o

The best part:  I still feel frickin great!

Wow.  

Did I mention... wow?   :lol:

Okay... off to fix supper now.

wowza!! woot woot!

And because I realized tonight that Rocket is getting all the attention lately...

Who remembers "our girls"?   :lol:

SUGAR:

IMG_2750.jpg

and SPICE:

IMG_2754.jpg

They actually belong to my teenager.  

Maybe only Karen will remember when his other rat, Cookie, passed away from some horrible tumors, lung infection, and who knows what else.  It was awful!

Happy to say these wonderful ladies have made it to their 1.5 - year-old mark, and are pretty healthy so far.  The fact that they were already spayed when we rescued them makes all the difference, I think.

Now I get to sit back and see which camp people fall into.  Do you have wonderful rat stories of your own ... Or do you think we're completely insane?   :lol:

• Moderators

I have no rat stories but I've heard they're really good pets. When I first moved out on my own I lived in a basement suite of a house where I eventually became life long friends with the owners and the auntie to their kids... one day I came home through the common area/shop where I entered my place and the Mr. had gotten two huge red tailed boa constrictors. I loved those guys! He's pretty lucky I'm cool ;)

Holy crap, I feel so good!  Slept last night soundly (skipped the benadryl, it wasn't helping the rash anyway), and woke up easily and naturally at around the 8-hour mark.  ALL the bloat from my misadventure is gone, and my waist looks incredibly small to me right now! LOL  The rash is improving.  I ran to the store last night after work and bought a couple bottles of Caladryl and basically doused myself in it before bed hahahaha.  

I had experiences this week with two different co-workers on two separate floors who noticed my weight loss and general improvement in energy/mood and asked about it.  And I had the pleasure of evangelizing about Keto for about an hour each! LOL!  Not because I wouldn't shut up, but because they kept having so many questions!  I pointed them in the direction of That Sugar Film, It Starts With Food, and Keto Clarity.  They are nurses too, and when I explained the pathophysiology of carb addiction and how we completely sabotage our metabolisms, they both had the lightbulb moment with it.  Now, if I could only do that with about a MILLION other clinicians!  But I swear, I will continue to promote this line of thinking for inflammatory and metabolic illnesses, one person at a time if I have to.  One of the co-workers was on the postpartum unit, so reminding her that ketosis is natural, and that all of our littles were born in it and still in it right now was a huge "ah-ha" for her.  It was fun myth-busting all their pre-conceived notions, and getting them thinking in a new way  :D 

I've never had a rat, but I had a beloved Pomeranian named Fox for 15 years, who many people called a rat LOL.  He was only 4.5 lbs full grown, but he was my baby!  He passed away three years ago, and I still miss him.  And yes, he was named after Fox Mulder.  I am an X-Files fan for life  :P 

post-80182-0-15851500-1454602422_thumb.j

GUYS, I'M SO EXCITED!!!

So, I finally got my blood ketone meter yesterday, and just tested this morning....

0.9 mmol/L !!!!!!

I'm back in ketosis!!!  Hooray!!!!!  *happy dance*  FBG was 81!  It only took me 5 days (that I know of, maybe sooner) to pop back into Ketosis after a MAJOR derailment.  I love my body so much, great job, metabolism! <3 <3 <3
:D
  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

post-80182-0-54421600-1454603691_thumb.j

I've never had a rat, but I had a beloved Pomeranian named Fox for 15 years, who many people called a rat LOL.  He was only 4.5 lbs full grown, but he was my baby!  He passed away three years ago, and I still miss him.  And yes, he was named after Fox Mulder.  I am an X-Files fan for life  :P

An here I was thinking it was because he had a cute little foxy face.... :D

I also love rocking people's boat and getting them away from the old way of thinking... They usually land up looking very confused.  If only that would work for my SO.... he buys partially into the whole 30 - and then he gets confused....

An here I was thinking it was because he had a cute little foxy face.... :D

I also love rocking people's boat and getting them away from the old way of thinking... They usually land up looking very confused.  If only that would work for my SO.... he buys partially into the whole 30 - and then he gets confused....

My SO Jason actually did my first Whole30 with me, and did great.  But he stopped immediately at 30 days lololol.  Interestingly enough, he's had some GI issues when eating pasta lately, so I think the lightbulb may be coming on in that department.  He's always been a relatively healthy eater to begin with, as he cut processed sugar completely from his life over 10 years ago and never went back, but he does love his pizza and beer LOL.  

Archived