Brewer5: A Fresh Start


Brewer5

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, littleg said:

Do the schools near you do peds in clinical?  Some around here do very little.  I hope you get a chance to try it!  Working with kiddos is the best :)

Hmm, I had to go look at the clinicals listed.  Sadly, it appears not.  All I see even close to that is "Nursing Care of Childbearing and Childrearing Families"...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just sayin....I went into nursing to become a labor and deliver nurse. That was my thing, my jam, whatever. I did TWO clinicals on L&D......yep, not my thing, not my jam. I was good at it, sure, but I just wasn't feeling it. The old people held my heart :D. I've now done a lot of things, I seem to get restless every couple years and want to try something new....EXCEPT L&D (or peds.....I Just CAN'T) lol.

 And don't stress too much, because there are so many options, you can always change your mind later.  

Good luck with everything! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

So I guess the moral of the story is that no one wants to take care of us middle age folk ;)

And, after being a guest on L&D - so not for me.  The screaming... ugh.  I don't know how the nurses do it!  I can see the whole welcoming-new-life thing being cool though.  But the screaming...  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

J9er, I didn't know you're a nurse, too!   It's crazy how many I've met here.  Like it was meant to be or something. ;)  Thanks!

Yes, there are so many options.  That's a bridge I will cross when I get there, I suppose. For now, focused on keeping A's in my pre-reqs...  Only four more weeks of classes to go!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, littleg said:

So I guess the moral of the story is that no one wants to take care of us middle age folk ;)

And, after being a guest on L&D - so not for me.  The screaming... ugh.  I don't know how the nurses do it!  I can see the whole welcoming-new-life thing being cool though.  But the screaming...  

 

The screaming....:lol:. LOL. Sitting here giggling away at that one. The welcoming new life part was VERY COOL. For me, it was when stuff gets wild, it gets wild. And knowing the stuff that can go wrong just freaked me out. But so many thrive on that and just love it to bits. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Oh, you are totally right.  I forgot about the $hit hitting the fan part...  I was super happy that I had a day nurse with 10 years and night nurse with  17 years of experience!  At one point my pressures dropped to 50/30 (I vagaled, knew I was but still they don't like it when you have pressures like that :) ) and my nurse didn't miss a beat - that bolus was up and running instantly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Whole30 Certified Coach
On April 24, 2017 at 10:11 PM, J9er said:

Love nurse talk. Poop stories at the dinner table are the best :lol:.

 

My husband disagrees.  But I think you are totally right and figure that if I keep talking poop at the dinner table eventually he will adapt ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update:  

I had my last final exam this morning.  I managed A's in all four of my classes.  I will be applying to the fall nursing program with the most points my advisor has ever seen.  WOO HOO!  

I hope you are all doing well. :)

I came home today to tell my husband the news, and as soon as I pulled in the driveway, I just started crying with relief.  I feel like I've been running a marathon since January.  We have had SO many other things going on in life during this time -- big things.  But I did it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, Brewer5 said:

Quick update:  

I had my last final exam this morning.  I managed A's in all four of my classes.  I will be applying to the fall nursing program with the most points my advisor has ever seen.  WOO HOO!  

I hope you are all doing well. :)

I came home today to tell my husband the news, and as soon as I pulled in the driveway, I just started crying with relief.  I feel like I've been running a marathon since January.  We have had SO many other things going on in life during this time -- big things.  But I did it!

Wow, congratulations!  I"m actually very inspired by you.  My dream (outside of winning the lottery) is to be a nurse... I already work in the hospital but not in a clinical capacity... whenever I"m on the clicincal floors, I can't help peaking and spying and listening and wishing I was in there with them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to you both.  I really appreciate it.  I just told another friend:

"And it feels like bragging on some level to report my scores like that, but honestly it's more that I'm shocked & just so relieved because I was under so much pressure to get that accomplished.  I was having full on heart palpitations at times, especially leading up to finals.  Anxiety is the strangest thing.  What drives me forward & what also can hold me back.  It's been an interesting balancing act, for sure.  Anyway ~ WHEW.  Thanks."

It's almost surreal, knowing that you are in the middle of A Personal Transformation and not being able to see the end result.  But I realized this morning, we don't ever have an "end result".   I think we are on a constant journey of transformation.  Not just each day, but each moment is a chance for growth and improvement.  We may trip or stumble along the way, but we pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.  And that is key.  ...Deep thoughts for Whole 30 this weekend. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Brewer5 said:

Thanks to you both.  I really appreciate it.  I just told another friend:

"And it feels like bragging on some level to report my scores like that, but honestly it's more that I'm shocked & just so relieved because I was under so much pressure to get that accomplished.  I was having full on heart palpitations at times, especially leading up to finals.  Anxiety is the strangest thing.  What drives me forward & what also can hold me back.  It's been an interesting balancing act, for sure.  Anyway ~ WHEW.  Thanks."

It's almost surreal, knowing that you are in the middle of A Personal Transformation and not being able to see the end result.  But I realized this morning, we don't ever have an "end result".   I think we are on a constant journey of transformation.  Not just each day, but each moment is a chance for growth and improvement.  We may trip or stumble along the way, but we pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.  And that is key.  ...Deep thoughts for Whole 30 this weekend. ;)

Brag!!  You worked hard at something and you accomplished it with a great flourish!  You deserve to report your scores and how proud of yourself you feel and have that accepted and honored!!!  Don't hide how amazing you did!  Shout it from the bleeping rooftops!!!  Also, if you didn't tell us, then we couldn't lift you up and celebrate the accomplishment!!!  :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it the truth. That end result is the golden carrot being dangled....but you're so right. There is always something else to work on, always some other goal to strive for. I think if we reach that end result - we're probably dead :rolleyes:.

As far as the anxiety goes.....now you know you can do it. You have just jumped a huge hurdle and although you will have others to jump, and some pretty challenging times ahead, just remember this time and know you can get through. Raising a family and going to school is no small feat and nursing school will require you to dig deep and really question why the heck you are doing this (at times). But it's worth it! 

You have lots of support here!!! We seem to crawl out of the word work lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

It'll get worse  during nursing school.  I wish I had known that all the stress and YOU WILL FAIL AT LIFE AND BE  A TERRIBLE NURSE from the instructors was BS.  Not that you'll slack off during nursing school but you may believe all the nay-saying.  You will learn 90% of what you need to know on the job.  You have to PASS nursing school.  You have to PASS your boards.  That is it.  I spent 2 years in a panic state convinced that I really was going to fail out of nursing school.  Don't make the same mistake! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you littleg, those are words of wisdom I need to hear.  I appreciate it!

Got my application submitted by the deadline -- now we wait.  Everyone I've talked to assures me that my score is great & I'll make it.  Still waiting to see it official. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
12 hours ago, Brewer5 said:

Thank you littleg, those are words of wisdom I need to hear.  I appreciate it!

Got my application submitted by the deadline -- now we wait.  Everyone I've talked to assures me that my score is great & I'll make it.  Still waiting to see it official. :)

Here for you when the stress gets crazy... :)

How long till you find out that you're in?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.