Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

August 2013... not good:

"I have a serious problem. LOL  redface.gif I was going for the 90-95% and yes, I could sit and eat an entire Lindt bar in one sitting. And it's my understanding that the darker it is, the higher the cacao content = the more caffeine. If I am highly sensitive to caffeine (which it appears I am), then this is why it had to go for me. Replacing it with really crappy "chocolate" that is high in sugar and junk was just a rebellious phase that I am hoping has passed now. That is really the only way I can explain it! It makes no logical sense, whatsoever. I blame the stress, and I really do need to reduce the stress to get things back on track around here."

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed so hard, my sparkling water shot out my nose LOLOLOLOL

I know, right?   :lol:

It is so funny to look back and see where I've been...  

I think my point in bringing some of these things up is just to emphasize that I DO understand the struggles...  and I can't explain how free I feel from ALL of that now.  So thankful.

... things we have major cravings for, are probably things we are allergic to, or have an intolerance to

... someone mentioned that there is a histamine response when we consume something we have a reaction to, and they talked about endorphins, and how basically it is a comforting feeling even though it is causing damage to our bodies.  [/size]

Do you think that's related how some people get pleasure from getting tattoos? Like, the slight pain from the inking causes an endorphin response?

SNE ~ I realize this may seem like a stretch, but -- have you ever done keto while completely dairy-free (even ghee)?

I googled "dairy and hair loss" just to see what comes up, and of course -- lots of stuff.  Check out the first part of this one, where they list dairy as #1:

http://www.hairlossrevolution.com/foods-that-cause-hair-loss/

Yes - my first Whole 30 was keto and dairy-free. I lost a lot of hair that time, too, unfortunately. Lucky for me (given that I think I do need to avoid dairy), I don't care for the taste of ghee. I typically cook with coconut oil and use olive oil in my salad dressings. Then I get other fat by eating ground beef, compliant bacon a few times per week, mayo made with olive oil or avocado oil, nuts, etc.

I did notice in that article that it talks about staying alkaline vs. acidic. I enjoy a few cups of coffee per day - usually 2, but occasionally I also have a cup or 2 of decaf - so that could factor in. 

I know, right?   :lol:

It is so funny to look back and see where I've been...  

I think my point in bringing some of these things up is just to emphasize that I DO understand the struggles...  and I can't explain how free I feel from ALL of that now.  So thankful.

This is the reason I keep trying. And believe me, I have tried many ways.

Do you think that's related how some people get pleasure from getting tattoos? Like, the slight pain from the inking causes an endorphin response?

That makes total sense to me.

I'm not trying to be rude, but think of the whole S&M scene, too. 

We've got some wacky chemicals in our bodies that are a lot of fun trying to figure out -- that's for sure!

I did notice in that article that it talks about staying alkaline vs. acidic.

The alkaline/acid thing has been on my radar recently, too.

Check out this list if you are interested -- it's a good one that is easy to understand (color-coded).  I've been making an effort to consume more alkaline foods, because I do drink coffee and many of the things I eat fall into that acid category, also.

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm

kirkor, I remember you having a bad reaction to egg nog. Right?

Things are down to crunch-time here, for sure -- so many things for me to get done. PLUS I have the neighbors' 2-year-old while they go to the hospital to adopt a new baby! (Yes, they stay the entire time -- from labor to discharge.)

So I haven't had much time to post -- but thinking of you all! Happy Holidays! :)

Ya, I mean, I had a whole bunch after not having any dairy for a while, but a big noticeable negative reaction is better than small sneaky reactions right?

Definitely. It's worse when you're not sure about something.

I just meant -- that's why the "arms crossed" smiley, right?

I am all done for Christmas (celebrated early), so no more worries for me :).....  although there is the Christmas day pot luck at work....  but I plan to take deviled eggs and pack my meal.  

Crazy thing is that I usually love to have all the holiday treats : egg nog, christmas cookies, hot chocolate, etc....  but have no problem saying "no" this year.  I don't know if it is because this is the first year that I am still serious about eating well this late in the year (usually have given up "the diet" by late summer), or if that dreaded sugar dragon is truly dead (or hibernating), or if I just finally realized that I don't have to eat every day like it is my last day - another day is coming and I can have "the good stuff" then.  Also, I never did like the feeling I get when I overeat and spend the rest of the day with a stomach ache.  Maybe I am finally getting wiser in my old age :)

Karen... Our brains are just different when fueled by lots of fat, too. Could it be that you have finally found something that really (REALLY) works better for your brain chemistry? That's how I feel. Treats are not even on my radar.

I think it was Dr. Perlmutter in Grain Brain who talked about how our brains are like 70% fat. Looking back I can see so many times when my poor brain was probably just screaming for some and ~I did not understand~!

It's been really hard for me to get far in Tripping Over the Truth, because it is telling the entire backstory of cancer treatment. With a lot of details.

But I know there is good stuff here so I have decided to skip around a little. I went forward today to where it is talking about Thomas Seyfried and the ketogenic diet.

I knew that movie maker Jim Abrahams had a child with epilepsy and started The Charlie Foundation. What I did not know is that he made a movie about it: "First Do No Harm" with Meryl Streep.

Add to amazon cart to remember: Check.

Hi guys!  Man, my blood sugars are beautifully reliable!  I'm 86 in the morning almost every day LMAO

My Ketonix should get here tomorrow!  

Positives:
MUCH more even energy
Easier to fall asleep and stay asleep, no sleep aides
Beautiful blood sugars

Negatives:
I'm up almost 2 lbs on the scale for about a week now,  and I have no idea why   :wacko:

My sugar dragon is still alive.  I'm a nurse too, Kmlynne, and every unit is swimming with treats this time of year.  They're DEFINITELY on my radar.  Last night I had a fight with my brain over Ritz crackers, which aren't even that good!  Sigh.  But I persevere.  

Jess, have you considered giving yourself 30 days to adjust to keto -- without weighing -- like you did for a Whole 30?

I do not weigh consistently and I did not weigh during my previous stretches of keto, either. I think it can have too much of an impact on our decisions sometimes.

My husband's cousin got his blood sugars out of INCREDIBLY scary zones after following the Keto Clarity food lists. And got off insulin. His initial experience was that he gained 12 pounds (he's a BIG guy) -- then he dropped 30. It's a process.

^ Sorry. I am still with a 2-year-old -- posting on my phone in tiny bits.

I would also tell you to REALLY up the fat when you have those sugar cravings... I have never been a fan of trying to "ride them out". I shut them up with fat. It's what works for me. I eat enough fat now that they just don't happen. I think you will get there, too. But it may mean really listening to your body and not MFP, too.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Jess - I'm a nurse too - when I worked this weekend there were NO goodies around in the break room... It was such a nice change!  I'm working the 24th and 25th... those are gonna be tough  :wacko:

MFP?

I guess I'm still distrustful that keto isn't going to turn me into a whale.  I know that's not rational, but that anxiety is there.  I think that's why I keep jumping on the scale, I'm looking for confirmation that my new diet of bacon fat isn't going to undo all the work I've done LOL

Jess, having done a Whole30 before you have a head start on knowing "in your bones" the difference between satiety and fullness ... so it's not that the fat will make you fat, but of course it is more calorically dense so it can definitely be possible to overeat on keto.  Once you are fully fat-adapted and in the "ketone zone" (lol I think I just made that up?) the konventional wisdom (it's like conventional wisdom but for keto people ;)) says you will eat to your metabolic needs and not beyond.  

Archived