Day 13, total loss of appetite, low energy and bad mood

vegbelly

Hi, 

I am having a very hard time eating. Although hungry, I notice that my ability to get through meals is lessening and all I can stomach is fruit. I still force myself to eat meals but it's very unappetizing. I feel like I am not eating enough (wake in the middle of the night hungry). I was feeling pretty good a few days ago but now I am very grouchy and I am very active as well (4 yoga classes/3 barre classes/2 3 mile runs per week)

Yesterday was not typical as it was much less:

B: Banana + Almond Butter + 1/2 Avocado (not great but it's all I had available)/Coffee with coconut oil

L: 2 eggs/Small Sausage/Greens/Tomatoes/Small Potato/Berries

S: Pear + Bite of guacamole

D: Few bites of steak/Small Potato/1/3 Avocado/Arugula

Ok, so while your lunch looks decent (although it's not clear whether it included fat), you're not eating enough: it's no wonder why you're hungry.

How different is your Whole30 eating from how you ate prior?  What's unappetizing about your food now?  How much water are you drinking daily? How much sleep are you getting nightly? How's your stress level?

Are you eating any carb-dense vegetables? That, along with getting in fats at every meal, will likely help with your energy and mood.

Have you seen the recommended meal template? For best results, aim for 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat at every meal.

Note that nuts and nuts butters are a fat, not a protein, on a Whole30, and are recommended to be limited.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I agree this is not enough and was typically less than normal. I drink a lot of water (at least 8 glasses) and I am getting enough sleep (probably 7-9 hours or so). 

Typically:

B: 2 Eggs/Sausage/Greens/Avocado/Some potatoes

L: Salad with protein/nuts/avocado/some sort of sweet potato

D: Chicken with roasted veggies and a salad

S: Occasional Lara Bar or banana with Almond Butter

I am just not hungry for foods other than fruits and nuts. Any proteins/vegetables etc are unappetizing to me although I am forcing myself to eat. I would love an example of what people are eating if they are also doing some sort of activity (i.e. jogging, hot yoga etc).

Thank you again for the feedback.

Vegbelly,

Not what I'm eating this week, since I am not on w30 right now, but a typical w30 day that I go to crossfit was like this:

M1: 2 chicken sausage links, hash w/ potatoes, broccoli, onion, fat (ex: avocado, spicy mayo)

M2: chicken soup made with chicken thighs, carrots, onion, potato; roasted sweet potato & zucchini with olive oil

PreWo: chicken/hard-boiled egg w/ guac or spicy mayo (not as big as a regular meal)

M3: flank steak in the cast iron, veggies, potatoes w/ ghee & garlic

Timing

M1 is about 90 minutes after I wake up, so 730-8am, eaten at my desk at work.

M2 is at noon.

PreWo is about 4pm.

M3 is about 730pm.

If you're doing hot yoga, it might be a learning experience with what to eat in your meals beforehand. I dabbled in that for a while and found that what I ate prior affected how I felt much more so than with other activities like running or weight lifting.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I agree this is not enough and was typically less than normal. I drink a lot of water (at least 8 glasses) and I am getting enough sleep (probably 7-9 hours or so). 

Typically:

B: 2 Eggs/Sausage/Greens/Avocado/Some potatoes

L: Salad with protein/nuts/avocado/some sort of sweet potato

D: Chicken with roasted veggies and a salad

S: Occasional Lara Bar or banana with Almond Butter

I am just not hungry for foods other than fruits and nuts. Any proteins/vegetables etc are unappetizing to me although I am forcing myself to eat. I would love an example of what people are eating if they are also doing some sort of activity (i.e. jogging, hot yoga etc).

Thank you again for the feedback.

It's unclear if you're drinking enough water. If that's eight 8 oz glasses, that's 64 oz, which would be enough if you were 128 lbs.  We recommend 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily. 

Again, have you seen the meal template?  How much protein and avocado are you having with your salads?  How much lettuce and sweet potato?  The recommendation is 1-2 palm sized amounts of protein per meal (a palm is the length, width and thickness of the palm of your hand), 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of fat. With salad greens, you need a HUGE mixing bowl amount to be satiated, as the volume goes down substantially in your stomach (think how much a package of spinach wilts down when cooked). When avocado is your fat, the recommendation is 1/2 - 1 whole avocado.

You want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. If you're not at that point yet, increase your portions until you are there.

Lara bars are emergency food only, on a Whole30. That means stuck in crazy traffic keeping you from food longer than normal.  If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.

Examples of possible meals/snacks from what I've had this past week (even though I'm currently not on a Whole30, I follow the template most meals):

- Meal 1: 3 eggs sunny side up cooked in ghee with cumin roasted carrots (likely 1/2 lb worth).  Another day I had this primal breakfast casserole (the equivalent of 1/4 of the recipe). 

- Meal 2: salmon or chicken salad made from compliant canned salmon or chicken, homemade mayo and celery.  On the side: a baked (microwaved) yam with dollops of homemade mayo.

- Meal 3: homemade seafood stew with cod, shrimp and lobster tails, with some carrots, celery, onion and potato mixed in. On the side: spinach salad with compliant dressing.

- Snack: compliant prosciutto with olives.  Another snack: compliant prunes with pecans. 

My physical activity lately has been walking outside, or using the treadmill/elliptical at the gym, or rotating through some 45 minute hatha yoga CDs at home.

Thank you all so much for the helpful feedback. I appreciate it greatly. I have at least 64oz of water daily if not more. Yes, I am definitely making more of an effort to increase meals as I know that I am not getting enough; I have just really struggled with nausea when eating. But clearly my hunger at night is indicative and I am sometimes active for at least 2 hours a day.

Thank you again. Just trying to feel better and get the most from the program.

Archived