Coconut milk whenever I want

broccolimama

Day 7 here. This might be a silly question but wondering if I can splash coconut milk from the can in my tea if it's not during a meal time. I just discovered this and was drinking it plain before. It sort of feels like a snack It's so delicious...

I welcome any ideas of what else to do with coconut milk as well.

Thanks!

Hi broccolimama - this is a bit of a tricky question for me.  It's fine in your tea, but you should avoid eating between meals and coconut milk packs a hefty dose of calories.  If you're truly hungry between meals you need to a) increase your template meals so that you're not hungry and/or B) have a snack that is a mini-meal with protein, fat and carbs.  Not just fat (coconut milk).

I also love coconut milk in coffee (as part of my breakfast).  It's also great in sauces and soups, and I've used it in a paleo butter chicken recipe along with ghee.  Spooning the thick coconut cream that forms at the top of the can is also a favourite "condiment" of many members, such as on sweet potatoes or squash.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

How many cups of tea are we talking broccolimama?

When you are NOT consuming anything between meals your body soon learns to tap into your fat stores for fuel, rather than relying on the constant supply of fuel you are giving it by snacking. That said, coconut milk is a fat and a medium chain triglyceride at that, which the body can digest rapidly & tap into for fuel so it does get burned up quickly.

So, IMO the odd one here or there wouldn't be much of an issue, but I'd avoid doing it on a regular/daily basis - especially not until you are fat adapted (which usually happens around two weeks in). 

I only discovered it two days ago. I generally have 3 cups of tea per day. Midday is plain so only morning and post dinner pre bedtime with coconut milk. I was mainly asking about that pre bedtime cup- because of fat/ calories. I've actually been ok in between meals without snacking for the most part. But I have enjoyed that pre bedtime cup the past 2 days.

Thanks for the input!

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask what brand of coconut milk you are using? I see mine has some questionable ingredients like Polysorbate 60 (Emulsifier), Sodium Carboxy Methyl-Cellulose (Stabilizer), and Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservative.) Yikes! I'm starting in 3 days and thinking I should find something different...

Can I ask what brand of coconut milk you are using? I see mine has some questionable ingredients like Polysorbate 60 (Emulsifier), Sodium Carboxy Methyl-Cellulose (Stabilizer), and Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservative.) Yikes! I'm starting in 3 days and thinking I should find something different...

Your thinking is correct: the sodium metabisulfite makes this brand non-compliant for a Whole30, as no sulfites are allowed.

Look in the Asian food aisle of your grocer for canned coconut milk.  If you have a Whole Foods, last I checked, their 365 brand of coconut milk was compliant.  Same for Native Forest brand, available at Trader Joe's. Thai Kitchen may still work too.

As companies can change ingredients or ingredients can vary by region, you need to read the ingredient labels every time.

• Moderators

I discovered in one of my first W30s that I was constantly looking for sweetness and comfort from compliant things. First it was dried fruits and then when I realized that was no bueno in a food without brakes kind of way, I turned to coconut milk in my tea, especially after dinner. It was a "treat" that replaced "dessert." For my particular context, it was important to break that habit, that craving, that emotional crutch on food altogether. 

That may not be the case for you, but if any of what I just said rings any bells for you, you might want to consider foregoing the coconut milk in your tea before bed habit.

Correct, as GFChris said.  These additives are NOT compliant for a Whole30.

I share your pain - I couldn't find a compliant brand for my entire thirty days and had to do without (it's possible!).  Then, lo and behold, less than a week after my Whole30 I found AYAM Brand canned coconut milk.  Only ingredients were coconut kernel extract and water.  Aroy-D canned coconut milk is sometimes the same.  But sometimes has non-compliant additives.  Also Native Forest. Read your labels carefully!

Archived