Reintroduction Question

Kimberly22

I just completed my first Whole30 and started reintroduction last Wednesday where the first group I reintroduced was legumes.  I have reintroduced gluten-free grains on Sunday and today is diary.  Not doing wheat/gluten because I suspect I may be allergic and my doctor is sending me to an allergist.  In addition, I am not in any hurry to try alcohol.  One of the main reasons why I did Whole30 is because I have an autoimmune disease and wanted to see how certain foods affect it.  So far legumes and gluten-free grains have not affected my autoimmune symtoms and I will not know about diary until tomorrow.  What has happened with legumes and dairy is a gassy cramping in my stomach, but not with gluten-free grains.  Just like with red meat and gluten, if we don't eat it we lose the enzymes in our body to help us digest it.  Can't that happen with legumes and dairy as well?  Meaning, isn't some stomach issues expected if we haven't eaten some of these things for 30-40 days?

Thanks! :)

• Moderators

The gassy, cramping feeling - pain - is probably not from a lack of appropriate bacteria to digest the food you are eating. More likely it is the same pain you were feeling before, but not noticing because your stomach had a thicker mucosal lining that protected you. That thicker lining sloughs off when you are not eating irritating foods. When you start back, you feel things that you did not notice before. If you keep eating irritating foods, the lining will thicken again to protect you from the irritation. You could take broad spectrum digestive enzymes during your reintroductions and still feel the kind of pain you are describing. 

The gassy, cramping feeling - pain - is probably not from a lack of appropriate bacteria to digest the food you are eating. More likely it is the same pain you were feeling before, but not noticing because your stomach had a thicker mucosal lining that protected you. That thicker lining sloughs off when you are not eating irritating foods. When you start back, you feel things that you did not notice before. If you keep eating irritating foods, the lining will thicken again to protect you from the irritation. You could take broad spectrum digestive enzymes during your reintroductions and still feel the kind of pain you are describing. 

Thank you very much!

Archived