What do I do with all these ripe bananas?

Sari

Freeze them up! :) 

I had to freeze mine and used them in paleo banana bread and also with other berries covered in coconut milk. - this was when I was OFF the Whole 30 when I made them, this is not recommended as it would just feed your sugar dragon. 

Line your bathtub with lawn bags and use them for skin rubs...the peelings and the mash.  If you don't want to get into the tub, use the mash for your feet and heels (small tub) and the peelings for elbows, arms or any brown spots.   You'll have to get into the shower afterwards but the smaller tub...less mess. 

http://greenlivingideas.com/2011/11/21/use-bananas-for-healthy-skin/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

A blended frozen banana is like ice cream-very delicious. I know I'm late to the party and your ripe bananas are long gone by now, but you can try this next time.

This is definitely not allowed during a Whole30. SWYPO (Sex with your pants on) is recreating old favorites using approved ingredients and making 'ice cream' is definitely SWYPO. Good for after your Whole30 if you want, but definitely not during.

Oops - Typing at the same time as Jmcbn.

• Administrators

I'm going to suggeste a different idea. Go ahead and throw those old, ripe bananas out. I've come to start valuing my spaces (physical, emotional, mental) over having to "keep" stuff. Honestly, if you aren't going to use them or you have to come up with some weird, random way of using them, their value is diminished. The value that is increased is your freezer space for broths, meats, veggies, casseroles, stews etc as well as your mental space for not having peripheral clutter.

Just my take. I'm not encouraging wastefulness......but it's alright to chuck the dead bananas into the composter and send them back to nature.

I too had some frozen over ripe bananas saved in my freezer. I've always had a mental block when it comes to throwing out food - such a waste of money. however, as I prepared to do my first whole30 I decided to just throw those bananas away. I honestly can't tell you how freeing that was to me.

A big NSV (Non Scale Victory) Helen! :D

So many kids have it drummed in to them to not throw food away, but it can steer us too close to eating when we're not hungry to "clear our plates", eating extra food "because it will expire soon", etc.

Sometimes you just need to let it go.

Archived