ArtFossil PostW30 Log - Over 60 & Simple Living (Version 1.0)

ArtFossil

I'm really enjoying reading your log and following your thought processes. I teach music at my local university, and at some point I'd very much like to move into a smaller living situation and have a life outside of the work I do at the university - and somehow Whole30 feels like a part of that shift. So reading your log always brings a smile to my face. Very inspiring, thank you!

Thanks, Amy! It sounds from your other posts that you're laying some groundwork for that life outside the university. What I call "the autonomy project" :-).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Art Fossil

Just found this thread

Love the balance concept 

Will try and keep that in my mind over the forthcoming months

Z

Thanks, Zoe! Im trying to ride my bike without training wheels. :-)

I'm looking forward to our Whole9 challenge. And to hearing about your preparations for your trek.

Trek training has begun - hiked yesterday & today - also put a swim in today 

Trying to get into the habit of things when I have a few days off

Technically I have probably started eating W30 as off yesterday

So things moving along in the right direction

Thanks, Amy! It sounds from your other posts that you're laying some groundwork for that life outside the university. What I call "the autonomy project" :-).

Yes, that is a GREAT term for it. It's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't actually teach at a university. Glad you understand.

Well, hello Elizabeth! (A beautiful name, and my middle name!).

So glad to hear of all of your progress.  It turns out that I actually do have a satiety signal as well (and I was interested to read the Whole30 stance on satiety vs. satiation - the former being an actual physical state based on nutrient consumption and the latter being psychological), but it turns out that I can and will ignore that signal at times (i.e. if Paleo baked goods are on offer).

It must feel SO GOOD to have your prairie skin project complete AND your studio tidy at the end of the year.  That would give me so much mental clarity and peace (not that I have a studio).

Cheers,

-Lauren Elizabeth

Well, hello Elizabeth! (A beautiful name, and my middle name!).

So glad to hear of all of your progress.  It turns out that I actually do have a satiety signal as well (and I was interested to read the Whole30 stance on satiety vs. satiation - the former being an actual physical state based on nutrient consumption and the latter being psychological), but it turns out that I can and will ignore that signal at times (i.e. if Paleo baked goods are on offer).

It must feel SO GOOD to have your prairie skin project complete AND your studio tidy at the end of the year.  That would give me so much mental clarity and peace (not that I have a studio).

Cheers,

-Lauren Elizabeth

Cheers right back at you, another Elizabeth! And it's only the first phase complete, but now I've started phase 2 of the world's most complex "thing" and believe me, considering how labor intensive I like to make my projects, that's saying a lot. :-)

PostW30 Day 22

It's another reintro day already!

I had a studio assistant (former student) working with me on Monday and Tuesday and so I really pushed myself physically with long sessions of work. Fortunately, Pilates has enabled me to be able to perform all the standing and the quick sits and stands at the sewing machine. I even got up on the ladder, albeit very slowly and mindfully. (My piano teacher has commented on how much better I'm moving, and the number on the scale slipped downward again. This is what I want, as every 10 pounds extra is 30 to 50 pounds more pressure on my joints.)

Monday was my dairy reintro and for lunch I had a roasted beet salad from Trader Joes, which is one of my favorites and which has a tiny bit of Gorgonzola. The salad demonstrated that beets are so delicious, I don't need much else.

My plans to have a flat white coffee later were derailed by working in my studio all day so, after my late afternoon water exercise class, I stopped to buy an aged cheddar and had an ounce of it with dinner. Delicious!

There were no noticeable effects from the dairy.

After 20 days of reintroductions, I still have the goat cheese, a container of hummus, the tortilla chips, the popcorn, and now, the cheddar cheese, untouched. And none of them has called my name. There's no powerful seduction going on, and I am surprised by that, and also enjoying that.

I'd thought today might be soy, and am thinking about a tofu dish from a local restaurant. But yesterday I lost my appetite, just going through the motions at lunch and could only face dinner after I rubbed the pork chops with spices and cooked some carrots, which I find always find comforting, and the Chinese dishes don't sound appealing.

So today, with my appetite back, I'm not going to reintro anything unless I really want it and I will listen to what my body tells me.

As part of my year-end celebration, I bought a new dishpan for my studio. It has legs, so water can drain around and under it, making my notoriously hard to clean utility sink easier to clean. Sometimes it's the little things . . . .

post-81509-0-03886400-1451592429_thumb.j

Isn't wonderful how cravings just slip away when our hormones and blood sugar are naturally balanced from eating nutrient-dense, real foods?  I thought for sure I was going to miss cheese but I haven't had any in almost two months and it's not really calling to me at all.

And I think it's almost ALWAYS the little things...

Happy New Year!  Wishing you continued health and happiness in 2016!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

PostW30 day 25! (Day 25? Holy cannoli!)

I’m still working like a mad woman, in my studio and also finishing the design of a new course I’m teaching this semester. (For me, working like this is "fun" as both things are part of my research and projects I have have chosen and which are gratifying to me.)

Today I chained myself to my computer (course prep) and then:

• leg waxing!
  • pedicure!
  • finished my course syllabus!
  • And for dinner, grilled sockeye salmon, kale/spinach with luxury balsamic, fat green olives and organic tricolor carrots. Wowee-zowee!

Thursday, New Year’s eve, was a reintro day. I didn’t feel like soy, so I off-roaded with a Starbucks flat white (whole milk and espresso) (I’ve had dairy before) AND a brownie from Whole Foods (gluten and more sugar than I’ve had in “a while”.

I am continuing my Whole30 practice of not “snacking” so after working in my studio, I came home to begin my dinner with the coffee and the brownie. (For me, it would be “not skillful” to feel that I had to eat the rest of my dinner BEFORE the brownie.)

The brownie and the coffee were delicious! They were followed by a Whole Foods takeout dinner of white fish, roasted root vegetables and roasted potatoes (and I saved most my takeout for dinner the next day. Win-win!).

Neither the coffee nor the brownie triggered any cravings. Nor did I have any negative reactions.

The next day, Friday, I was back with the Whole30 template (and, in an excess of virtue, went to my water exercise class which was at 10 AM as the Y was only open a half day for New Year’s. Yay me! The Y was shockingly FULL of exercisers, including the university women’s swim team, which had the pool after our class.)

For my next reintro, which is tomorrow, Sunday, I am planning on soy—food from a very good local Chinese restaurant, which I shall consume without rice. (Another conceptual barrier falls!)

Post W30 Day 26 - Reintro day!

I decided to do soy and so M2 was food from a local restaurant—tofu family style (spicy and lots of vegetables) and green beans. I put soy sauce on the green beans. I didn't eat any rice, which wound up to be no big deal. These are foods I might eat once a month or less.

The meal was delicious. But two hours later (about 4) I was freezing and had to take a nap (not unheard of on a Sunday afternoon after an intense week) and when I got up my face was completely flushed. I also had some (mild) bloating.

The flushing convinced my not to eat that again. For "a while." I will look at ingredients at the Whole Foods hot foods bar and at my soup restaurant and may eat something with soy sauce in it and will see how that goes. But tofu and added soy sauce are going to be off limits for now.

I was happy to have my leftover grilled salmon and tricolor carrots for dinner and felt great afterwards.

To recap so far:

black beans - great

hummus - super great

a little sugar in salad dressings, etc - no problem

corn chips - tasted great and no cravings

popcorn - tasted great and no cravings

whole milk in coffee - delicious! But I'm continuing to bring my daily coffee black.

cheese of the goat and the sheep - delicious!

cheddar cheese - also delicious! But/and I am taking my acupuncturists advice seriously about limiting cow dairy.

gluten/sugar combo - the brownie was great and no cravings. But I'm still staying far away from "bread" as I don't trust my response.

For foods where there's some added sugar but the ingredients list is zero grams, I don't worry about the sugar.

If there is added sugar and it's measurable (Worcestershire sauce is an example) I will eat it sometimes but be mindful of the quantity.

I'll be thinking about these foods to decide if/how frequently I'll consume them. I want to feel good and fuel my activities and also I want my weight loss to continue.

More reintros and an Rx Bar rant

Post W30 Day 29 - Reintro day! (last Wednesday)

I did oatmeal, the second of my non-gluten grains. I had oats plus a little blackstrap molasses plus some almond milk for breakfast. I enjoyed it (love the texture of oatmeal) and I will consider having it once or twice a week. Part of the equation will be what else to eat with it, as a bowl of oatmeal isn’t enough protein, and I will also monitor my weight loss to make sure I sustain that. 

Post W30 Day 32 - Reintro day! (last Saturday)

I was thinking of doing a reintro of peanut butter, another on my list of legumes but hadn’t bought any. Instead, I repeated two categories, cheese and gluten, as I had a caesar salad for dinner, with a little parmesan and some croutons. I bought the salad from Noodles and it was only my third meal out since starting my Whole30. I had decided that the salad was really all I wanted for dinner although I also had some broccoli. 

Post W30 Day 35 - Reintro day! (Today)

I had some peanut butter. I included it as part of my lunch, spooning about 2 tbls (a serving according to the jar) into a tiny bowl and eating it with a spoon. (One of my mindful eating guidelines is that I put everything I eat on a plate or into a bowl and never eat from a bag or can or jar.) 

I do like peanut butter sandwiches but I’m still giving “bread” a wide berth. I tried almond butter once but didn’t really care for it and much prefer peanut butter. I’m keeping peanut butter as a “fat” option when I feel like it. (it’s not a food that sets up cravings for me or that I ever want to eat more than a tablespoon or two of.)

So, I’m at the point now where I will be experimenting with adding in some foods that I really enjoy (and which are not Whole30) on some kind once-or-twice-a-week frequency, depending on the food and depending on what else I’m eating.

I acknowledge that black beans or goat cheese or oatmeal are not in the “optimal nutrition” category. But I am not aiming for optimal nutrition. I’m aiming for excellent nutrition, and I'm aiming for excellent nutrition for me, and for foods which fuel my activities AND permit me to continue to lose weight AND which satisfy me.

The satisfaction has to be both physical and “aesthetic” for me. I only eat foods I really enjoy and will NOT eat anything I don’t enjoy. 

Which reminds me, there was one day during my Whole30 when my lunch schedule got really screwed up and I dug out the box of Rx bars I bought for emergency use when I started my Whole30.  I'd never had one but saw that some varieties were compliant and took a box to my studio. I decided to eat one of these “Pumpkin Spice” bars to keep me going until after my Pilates session.

Wholly crap! That thing was terrible! It was NOT “food.” How do people eat these things? I don’t really LIKE dates and I could have just eaten the almonds and it would make much more sense to eat an egg than “3 egg whites.” And 15 grams of sugar! If I want that much sugar I’ll just eat the fresh fruit, thank you.  Maybe I can give the rest of the box away to one of the grad students? :-)

post-81509-0-16115600-1452632048_thumb.p

post-81509-0-23943600-1452632058_thumb.p

Sounds, great, Elizabeth!  I think you are setting up a path of excellent nutrition, as long as you continue the mindfulness and don't let these things creep back in until they take over.  I too had a hard time considering oatmeal without something to sweeten it, but sweeteners of any kind set up cravings for me, so I had to steer clear of even blackstrap molasses.  Enjoy a nice steaming bowl for me!  (I actually also like oatmeal "savoury" - I add a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top with a sprinkle of sea salt.  The heat from the oatmeal melts the cheese slightly and it's lovely.  Like people who put a slice of cheese on their apple pie instead of a scoop of ice cream).

I do wish that peanut butter was not a food with no brakes for me.  I do love your idea of plating (or bowling? haha) everything to avoid mindless consumption out of the package.  I will keep that in mind when I do my peanut butter reintro.  Maybe THAT will be the legume I do this weekend, instead of lentils.  Decisions, decisions (yes, I am doing some reintroductions as just a single food within a group).

Keep us apprised of WholeLiz!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Still loving this whole thread. And definitely give the Rx bars to the young'uns. You know they don't eat anything or sleep ever or do any of those ridiculous daily routine things. Haha - Rx bars will be a huge step up in nutrition for them!

Still loving this whole thread. And definitely give the Rx bars to the young'uns. You know they don't eat anything or sleep ever or do any of those ridiculous daily routine things. Haha - Rx bars will be a huge step up in nutrition for them!

So true. :-) Especially as they are art students and are roaming the building 24/7. One only has to leave food out in the halls and it is quickly consumed, as if by locusts or hyenas!

Sounds, great, Elizabeth!  I think you are setting up a path of excellent nutrition, as long as you continue the mindfulness and don't let these things creep back in until they take over. 

I agree about the mindfulness.

About 8 months ago, I resolved that I would NEVER lose and gain and lose and gain and lose and gain weight again. I resolved to never diet again. That resolve led me to address my emotional eating. I looked at a lot of resources but the most helpful for me was Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food, by Susan Albers.

There are many strategies and much wisdom in this book but I will quote just one small piece, which is her mindful eating contract from the chapter on ending diets:

"- I agree to eat mindfully. I will eat with diligent thought from this point forward.

- I agree to change my attitude toward eating completely, on a full-time basis. I understand that diets don’t work.

- I agree to think about what I eat moment to moment.

- I agree to consider each bite on multiple levels by taking into account the taste, texture, quality, bodily reaction, and sensations I experience when I eat.

- I agree to eliminate my diet mentality. I will do this by rejecting dieting advice and books, and by becoming nonjudgmental of myself.

- I agree to be nonjudgmental of other people’s eating habits, weight, and body shape.

- I agree to have compassion for myself.

- I agree to be mindful of my speech. I will eliminate terms like “restricted” or “forbidden” from my vocabulary, and I will start using words like “healthy,” “natural,” “organic,” and “energizing” both in my thoughts and my conversations.

- I agree that being healthy and living mindfully is my number one goal.

- I agree to accept myself and my body as they are.

- I agree to be aware of the unique challenges I face.

- I agree to accept how uncomfortable, scary, and wrong it feels to let go of dieting."

So I let go of any guilt or shame I felt about food or eating and I just . . . ate.

Not coincidentally, this book helped me come to a radical acceptance of my body, which in turn allowed me to increase my physical activity, which in turn led to intensive Pilates sessions and a water exercise class which in turn has increased my health and well being substantially. I can say that I "lost" all feelings of shame or embarrassment about my weight or my physical condition. (I'm in a pool 3 times a week in a bathing suit with a bunch of guys and it's just sheer fun. And I'm in a Pilates studio every week with floor to ceiling mirrors and wearing form fitting clothing and observing my body and gently correcting my form, again and again and again. It's a strenuous process and a strenuous workout but fascinating.) I will also say that my acupuncturist also supported me in this process of intentional movement and strengthening and mindful eating.

Since August I've lost 24 pounds.

Eating is still a source of pleasure but it's also just an interesting game. (What do I want? What do I really want? What will taste good and make me feel the best? Am I satisfied "now"? Finished with my meal?) My "theme" for this year is listening and I've learned to listen, really listen, to what I want and to what I need.

On the practical side of mindfulness, I don't snack (although I may sometimes split up breakfast or lunch into two parts if my schedule is tricky). I don't eat after dinner, ever, and dinner ends by 7:30. (8:00 if some external event has pushed my dinner back, which is rare. (This is an acid reflux preventative, but it's become a wonderful practice because I don't want to eat late in the evening; I want to rest and relax!). I don't drink anything with meals. (Also a digestive aid but helpful in other ways, as I used to try to use liquids, especially diet pop, which I don't drink anymore, to substitute for food or fool myself into thinking I wasn't hungry instead of just eating the damn food!) And I chew my food. I chew my food. I CHEW my food! (You get the idea.)

And I just keep practicing and trying to eat mindfully.

So these are some things that helped me, in addition to doing the Whole30. And I do recommend the Albers book for anyone who has any emotional issues around food.

That's beautiful!  I received a copy of Intuitive Eating for Christmas, and I expect it to have similar messages (if not, I'll get the Albers book as well).

Kudos to you!  And it's wonderful to hear that you're not letting body size/shape be a determinant in the activity that you do.  I grew up swimming competitively and there were ALL shapes and sizes.

@ArtFossil, 

I am so glad to find this forum. It is very important to me when I engage in food, health an exercise discussions that age takes a front seat.

I am 60, newly retired elementary art teacher, very active and pretty health  (aside from being overweight). I am 24 days into my first Whole30 and spending quite a bit of time thinking about my post W30 decisions. Aside from some digestive issues, I feel fantastic. Energy high, weight has come off, clear skin, brain clarity. All is good. Which makes me think along the lines of "well, just stay W30." Ideal in so many ways, but sometimes I just get tired of the cooking and shopping. 

My husband and I are both doing this and he also feels really good. He has digestive issues and they have cleared up, completely.

Your entries are going to be wonderful to follow to see how you are feeling, thinking, etc. as you navigate the food waters ahead.

Thanks for being brave and laying it all out here.

@ArtFossil, 

I am so glad to find this forum. It is very important to me when I engage in food, health an exercise discussions that age takes a front seat.

I am 60, newly retired elementary art teacher, very active and pretty health  (aside from being overweight). I am 24 days into my first Whole30 and spending quite a bit of time thinking about my post W30 decisions. Aside from some digestive issues, I feel fantastic. Energy high, weight has come off, clear skin, brain clarity. All is good. Which makes me think along the lines of "well, just stay W30." Ideal in so many ways, but sometimes I just get tired of the cooking and shopping. 

My husband and I are both doing this and he also feels really good. He has digestive issues and they have cleared up, completely.

Your entries are going to be wonderful to follow to see how you are feeling, thinking, etc. as you navigate the food waters ahead.

Thanks for being brave and laying it all out here.

Thanks, Cyndy and glad to see you here! All of your Whole30 victories are wonderful! Hooray for you and your husband!

Even Melissa Hartwig says the Whole30 isn't designed to be a Whole365. :-)

Speaking for myself, the Whole30 was super valuable AND it is too restrictive for me to want to continue it beyond the 30 days. For me, I need a way of eating which is not concerned too much with "control" or "perfection" or "restriction" or "deprivation." That doesn't mean I don't want to try to make wise choices, taking into account my goals! It is a design challenge, but then, I am a designer so I ought to be able to do this. :-)

As for age, it does change the equation, doesn't it? I didn't expect the hip disease that hit a year ago and didn't realize I'd be living with chronic pain. But I must say that chronic pain is a GREAT motivator! I've learned so much about my body and about my health and how to sustain it this last year! (And I'm also ready to get rid of the pain and taking steps to schedule surgery.)

Age also has the benefit, for me, of encouraging me to say "So what?" or "I don't care" to things that are NOT important to me. It is giving me a lot more confidence to speak my mind and to live my own choices. 

Day 28.....struggled with food yesterday. Sometimes, I am just NOT hungry. My digestive system has been a bit of a wreck (of and on) during this program. Not sure why. I have had reflux symptoms, never had that before. They are gone, now. My doctor (new doctor and that is a whole other story) put me on Prilosec for two week. After  the first week I was feeling extremely fatigued. Did some research and found out that can be a side-effect. Went off of prilosec and symptoms disappeared. I am looking into a holistic doctor, as this one, is so much about writing prescriptions. 

But, through it all, we have stayed compliant with the food, although last night I just had some nuts and fruit. One reason is because I just could not eat and two because I was not prepared, so we did not have anything to eat, nor the energy to fix a dinner. Feel guilty? Absolutely not. I refuse to get caught up in the guilt game. So self-defeating and such a past response.

Today we are meeting up with friends to see "Revenant" and then go out to eat. We are going to an art cinema that has the most delicious popcorn, served in a small brown paper bag and great wine choices. I will pass on this easily. The restaurant we will go to has wonderful compliant choices, so all will be good. Another day will be accomplished.

Day 28.....struggled with food yesterday. Sometimes, I am just NOT hungry. My digestive system has been a bit of a wreck (of and on) during this program. Not sure why. I have had reflux symptoms, never had that before. They are gone, now. My doctor (new doctor and that is a whole other story) put me on Prilosec for two week. After  the first week I was feeling extremely fatigued. Did some research and found out that can be a side-effect. Went off of prilosec and symptoms disappeared. I am looking into a holistic doctor, as this one, is so much about writing prescriptions. 

I know a lot about acid reflux, which was one of the things I wanted to address with my Whole30. I'm on a year long mission to heal my esophagus which means eliminating all acid reflux and all heartburn. 99% of my heartburn is gone, but I find that if I don't (a) chew! and ( B) drink enough water in the afternoon I get a 5 minute bout of mild heartburn at 3:30 or so. I'm determined to NEVER have heartburn. I've learned to add acid when I need to and also to reduce acid when I need to.

I also know what you mean about the ease with which doctors write prescritpions. It's taken me a long time, but I have a good team with an internist, an acupuncturist, an endrocrinologist and a gastroenterologist! I do appreciate my Western medical doctor's diligence about monitoring me with blood work and making sure I do those important tests like colonoscopies and mammograms and bone scans.

Archived