Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

Be careful with lists like those, they often contain things that are not truly whole30, like puddings or smoothies -- don't assume that because something on the internet is labeled whole30 that it really is.

How very true!  I have a lot of boards on Pinterest, and it's amazing what people post and say it's Whole30 :o  Really, Whole 30 DESSERTS???  :rolleyes:  Or things with honey.  Or other "forbidden" ingredients.  They have completely missed the point.  I have modified more recipes than I can count.  When it seems like a recipe needs a teensy tiny smidgeon of sweetness, I do what Mel and Michelle (NomNom) do - dissolve one date in 1 Tbs of warm water and use that, although that was in past W30's I've done (I think this was when I made compliant Sriracha sauce).  Now, quite honestly, I avoid anything that's sweet and generally I don't think any recipe needs to be sweetened, and prefer to limit my fruit as well.  Just taking a hard, close look at my relationship with food.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started on the 4th, although I've not had booze, bread, or sugar since New Year's Eve. LOVE this book and the whole program. I'm doing really well and loving the changes I already feel. Excited to finally have found something that I know I can stick to. This is the turning point I've been needing.  :D

I'm not a big fan of kale, but I want to like it. I juice it sometimes with fruit, but I know that's basically out for the whole30. So I decided to sautée some in a pan with pineapple (eating what I would normally be drinking had I juiced it). And it was delicious! I had that with an ahi tuna steak, which I threw in a pan with a little bit of unsweetened, compliant coconut flakes. I'm not feeling super hungry this evening so it was a light, refreshing dinner.

• Moderators

I'll have to try kale with pineapple. I like the texture of cooked kale, but it's too bitter for me- a choke it down kind of thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Try the first recipe on this page. I'm sure the second is good too, I just haven't gotten around to trying it, I like the first one so much. It works with any greens, I usually use collards, but have tried it with kale and turnip greens as well. Sub any nuts and any dried fruit. Actually, thinking about it, it would probably be good with fresh apple or pear as well, if you want to avoid the dried fruits.

Or, follow the directions through step 3 of that recipe, then instead of nuts, dried fruit, and garlic, just add balsamic vinegar and some oil to the pan and stir it all together -- that will help cut some of that bitterness too.

Yea dougherty, that sounds amazing! I had an interesting day today myself but stayed compliant and fairly cheerful. I got up early to get a roast I have been looking forward to making in the crockpot only to realize that my power wasn't working properly. It was like half on somehow. The lights in the kitchen seemed fine, but my bathroom was dim. Then the microwave was hardly warming up my breakfast. Weird right? So here I am with my roast already seared and seasoned in the crockpot and not sure if I can trust the crockpot or even the refrigerator. I had to take time to talk to my super all while worrying about my food safety and getting to work on time (when as it is Monday is supposed to be my day off). It came back on pretty quickly and my sister got the crockpot going on her lunch break but now the roast won't be done until later than I had planned. Fortunately I had plenty of leftovers to throw into a meal. Then I knew for sure I would be home for lunch so I pretty much only packed a snack, and a friend of mine had her baby and another friend and I just had to go see her. I think what I learned today (and what I am kind of kicking myself for because I do already know this) is that life happens. I always need to have a backup plan and I should pretty much always carry a full lunch with me.

Shannon that sounds so good! I have some chopped walnuts, it didn't even occur to me to throw them in! Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

SusanB same here- it's usually so bitter but the fruit helped to offset that.

Cbg84 you're right about having a lunch with you. Just in case. And even if you end up not eating it, you can always save it for your next meal or lunch the following day. It sounds like you had quite the day!!

So yesterday was a huge challenge for me (I'm one day behind everyone, so today is actually my day 7).  I was hosting a birthday celebration.  Two of the dishes I made - Walnut crusted pork tenderloin and green beans with fig vinaigrette - were from the Whole 30 book.  The other three things were not compliant, so I made compliant versions for myself.  But not having the cheese and salami and crackers and chips that were out for snacking, or the dessert...oh! the dessert: a chocolate trifle with ice cream.  Man, that was hard.  I couldn't even do any taste testing to make sure the dishes were on point - had to call in a helper for that!  But I made it through!!  I have to say, I am not feeling as good this record round as I did on my first W30, feel a lot more tired.  Perhaps I am eating too much protein and not enough veggies.  I don't know.  A little discouraging, but I put on some pants today and they were looser.  Probably got rid of some of my previous bloating.  So win for that one!!  Small steps, right?!

Try the first recipe on this page. I'm sure the second is good too, I just haven't gotten around to trying it, I like the first one so much. It works with any greens, I usually use collards, but have tried it with kale and turnip greens as well. Sub any nuts and any dried fruit. Actually, thinking about it, it would probably be good with fresh apple or pear as well, if you want to avoid the dried fruits.

Or, follow the directions through step 3 of that recipe, then instead of nuts, dried fruit, and garlic, just add balsamic vinegar and some oil to the pan and stir it all together -- that will help cut some of that bitterness too.

Oddly enough I tried the second one last night for the first time. I added about half the amount of spice it called for and it was way too intense for me. Next time I'm going to either double the amt of kale or halve again the spice. (It was tasty though!)

Day 9 and I am feeling really run down. It's grey and snowing and my toes are cold. 

We had our first frost last night, here in Florida, so it's chilly for those of us who are used to perpetual summer.

I have had a cold/flu for two weeks, and now my poor partner is really suffering. It's harder to manage all of the cooking and dishes when we are both down for the count, but we are still on track. I have certainly turned the corner, but it's been a couple of years since I have caught such a persistent bug.

We are sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel to manage the meal template; yesterday I just caved at breakfast and ate two hardboiled eggs and an orange. I couldn't get it together to cook veg, and we are out of prepped food. At least lunch and supper were better.

I just noticed that I mixed half a dozen metaphors, but I am leaving it for your amusement. I guess I have no original thoughts at the moment.

I'm amazed by your self control! And the shackling your hands bit made me chuckle.

Yesterday I was with my boyfriend at his grandparents' house (which I often am on Sunday's) and I left before dinner because they were ordering pizza (as they often do). I didn't even want to tempt myself, and didn't feel like explaining to his grandmother why I wasn't eating the pizza. She's big on junk food, and i didn't feel like getting into a conversation about why I couldnt have "just one slice" or "just one piece of candy." My boyfriend gets it, he's being supportive, and I know we are supposed to talk about it with the people around us but in this scenario I just felt it was better to remove myself from the situation.

its tough but luckily I'm not solo on this quest....I have my Husband and 3 other couples doing this and another friend from work so I think that helps...I don't know if I could do this on my own, the guidance is huge for me (one of the couples did this before so they can give me pointers.)

trust me, I found my hand reaching for the pretzels and I couldn't believe how mindless some eating can be, such a bad habit, eat just to eat...I found not making eye contact works too ha! awful...but funny!

I guess over time we'll do better at social situations - but you might be surprised how his Grandparents react to what you are doing, it shows control, dedication and wanting to better yourself. They might just understand and not pressure you into eating, but you know them better than I do :)

It wasn't easy being out in a social situation, I really felt like I was in panic mode, it truly is amazing how we battle ourselves, only person I was afraid of was me! no one else cares if I eat or not lol...

You got this L_dougherty85!!!! Day 8...celebrate!

its tough but luckily I'm not solo on this quest....I have my Husband and 3 other couples doing this and another friend from work so I think that helps...I don't know if I could do this on my own, the guidance is huge for me (one of the couples did this before so they can give me pointers.)

trust me, I found my hand reaching for the pretzels and I couldn't believe how mindless some eating can be, such a bad habit, eat just to eat...I found not making eye contact works too ha! awful...but funny!

I guess over time we'll do better at social situations - but you might be surprised how his Grandparents react to what you are doing, it shows control, dedication and wanting to better yourself. They might just understand and not pressure you into eating, but you know them better than I do :)

It wasn't easy being out in a social situation, I really felt like I was in panic mode, it truly is amazing how we battle ourselves, only person I was afraid of was me! no one else cares if I eat or not lol...

You got this L_dougherty85!!!! Day 8...celebrate!

look at that! I'm off a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a nice treat!!! we are on DAY 9!!!!!!!!!!!!! saweet!

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement. I am happily browsing all of Mel Joulwan's amazing recipes and already making lists for next week. I also ordered Epic's whole 30 starter kit. Looking forward to trying out some of those items.

Reading about everyone else's willpower is giving me hope. For whatever reason, I CANNOT stop thinking about chocolate covered pretzels. I've been dreaming about putting them on eggs... like that will somehow make them W30 compliant, haha! So far I haven't caved to the sugar dragon.

Hope you are all having a great day 9.

I'm confused about Mel joulwan's sunshine sauce. For some reason I thought sun flower seeds (and sunbutter) were out for the whole30?? I really want to try it, it seems as though others are using it and loving it. I really want to make pad Thai! Also, I've looked at a few almond butters and cashew butters, but most say they are processed in a facility/on equipment that also processes soy and peanuts. Does this mean that those particular brands are non-compliant?

I'm confused about Mel joulwan's sunshine sauce. For some reason I thought sun flower seeds (and sunbutter) were out for the whole30?? I really want to try it, it seems as though others are using it and loving it. I really want to make pad Thai! Also, I've looked at a few almond butters and cashew butters, but most say they are processed in a facility/on equipment that also processes soy and peanuts. Does this mean that those particular brands are non-compliant?

Sunflower seeds are allowed on a Whole30.  Like nuts, any seeds are a fat, and are to be limited on a Whole30.

Compliant sunflower seed butter is allowed.  The ingredient list is king.  If everything on the ingredients list is within the Whole30 rules, then you can use that product.  

The statement about "processed in a facility" is intended for folks who are highly allergic to cross-contamination from soy or peanuts. If that's not you, you don't need to worry about the processing facility for the purposes of a Whole30.

• Moderators

Thanks GFChris!! That was helpful. I wondered if the warning on the nut butters was mainly intended for allergies but I didn't want to accidentally go off plan. This is great! Now I can make pad Thai for my lunch tomorrow :)

Just one note -- around here, it's hard to find sunbutter without added sugar. If you find that to be true where you are as well, the sunshine sauce is good using almond butter too, and at least here that's easier to find with no added stuff.

i am on day 6 and feeling extreme fatigue.  is this normal?

You're right on the timeline Macy, it gets better, just hang in there. Eat some extra starchy veg :) It helps

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Whew - started 1/4 as well....Day 7 is HARD!   What is up with my muscles? 

Are they sore or giving you cramps? You might want to look through the timeline too: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Hey all!  Day 8!  WOOT!  Question for all of you though, as I didn't experience this the last time I did a whole 30.  For the last 3-4 days I have just felt "off".  Cold a lot (I am usually ALWAYS hot), and I constantly have the "feeling" you have in your body/head when you know a cold is on the way even though I am almost positive I am not getting a cold.  I ate pretty close to Paleo before this (although Nov/Dec were a disaster), never really ate much sugar, don't drink soda or coffee,etc. so I feel like I shouldn't be having major detox symptoms and especially still on day 8.  Do any of you ever experience this when you aren't eating ENOUGH?  My appetite has been wonky so I am forcing myself to eat sometimes and I am wondering if I am not eating enough, and that is causing my constant off/blah feeling?  Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated!   

Some people do get similar symptoms when not eating enough. Are you eating to the template? Are you working out?

It's also possible your "disaster" Nov/Dec may be extending your detox period a little.

But I made it through!!  I have to say, I am not feeling as good this record round as I did on my first W30, feel a lot more tired.  Perhaps I am eating too much protein and not enough veggies.  I don't know.  A little discouraging, but I put on some pants today and they were looser.  Probably got rid of some of my previous bloating.  So win for that one!!  Small steps, right?!

Wow, huge NSV, not only a party but doing the hosting!!! :D Be very proud of yourself!

I found my second W30 was more subtle, but it still works, pants are likely to get looser still :) I found a lot of changes to my body composition (tone, etc) from my 2nd. Don't be discouraged

We are sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel to manage the meal template; yesterday I just caved at breakfast and ate two hardboiled eggs and an orange. I couldn't get it together to cook veg, and we are out of prepped food. At least lunch and supper were better.

I just noticed that I mixed half a dozen metaphors, but I am leaving it for your amusement. I guess I have no original thoughts at the moment.

You're doing great. Don't stress about it being perfect when you're sick, just make sure you're eating enough so you don't get more sick. It will pass.

I really want to make pad Thai!

Oh, it has just occurred to me I think I have everything for Pad Thai! I might be having this for lunch! :D Thank you

Good morning everyone! Day 10 already...we're in double digits now! Yesterday my husband and I had planned to go out for dinner where I knew I could get a compliant meal, but the wait was ridiculous when we got there so we ended up at our local sushi bar instead, where I was able to get sashimi and steamed veggies. With a bit of salt and pepper and fresh lime juice, I didn't even miss the soy sauce, and the meal was so filling in its own that I didn't even miss the rice. It made me think about how much of what I eat is basically just filler that doesn't add anything to the value (nutritional or taste-wise) of the meal. Increased awareness of what I'm eating and why has been one of the best aspects of this for me so far. The main thing I'm struggling with is that even though I say I'm a pescetarian, really I'm a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish. I usually get most of my protein from vegetable sources, and this has worked well for me in the past, including through training for several marathons. Eating this much animal protein is just weird for me, and it's even changing my breath. I looked at some paleo forums and see that this is common but it's really strange for me.

Renaissance girl, that is odd! I have never heard of seafood or animal protein changing one's breath, but I guess it makes sense. I was a vegetarian for 8 years, then started eating seafood about 9 or 10 years ago. I can't remember if my breath changed or not.

NSV: for a few years now I've had a spot on my right cheekbone. It was almost like a blind pimple I guess. Sometimes it kind of looked like a white head, and sometimes it was less visible. (Gross, I know!!) It was never big or too obvious (I'm pale to begin with) so I was never really self conscious about it or anything. I kept thinking I should see a dermatologist about it but just never went. Well, it's now 100% gone!

Just one note -- around here, it's hard to find sunbutter without added sugar. If you find that to be true where you are as well, the sunshine sauce is good using almond butter too, and at least here that's easier to find with no added stuff.

Shannon I made it with the almond butter this morning for breakfast (having the leftovers for lunch) You were right- my local target has sun butter but they all have added sugar. I'm sure whole foods or trader joes has it, but those stores were not on on my route for the other errands I was doing. So I bought some compliant almond butter and did it that way. It was so good!!

good morning all! I've been away from computers for a while, and just trying to chug along and stick to my routine. As you might remember this is only day 6 for me as I had to start over, but so far so good. I'm trying to be more relaxed when telling coworkers about it and not give tons of information when they don't ask for it, but it is a struggle. Especially when I hear "you shouldn't diet.. you're fine the way you are" "you shouldn't deprive yourself of food groups" "but cheese is healthy, especially cottage cheese"... the list goes on.

So here's something funny I was thinking about: I'm on day 10, and while I have felt some bouts of fatigue and a bit of carb flu for a day, I would say in general I haven't experienced much in the way of negative symptoms.

But...I am convinced that is because I was used to feeling fatigued/crappy pretty much all the time.

I am not sure why it took me so long to really make this connection. Feeling exhausted (due to the double whammy of insomnia + poor nutrition) was my baseline. So "I just want to nap"? It's a totally normal feeling for me.

This made me laugh a little, really.

good morning all! I've been away from computers for a while, and just trying to chug along and stick to my routine. As you might remember this is only day 6 for me as I had to start over, but so far so good. I'm trying to be more relaxed when telling coworkers about it and not give tons of information when they don't ask for it, but it is a struggle. Especially when I hear "you shouldn't diet.. you're fine the way you are" "you shouldn't deprive yourself of food groups" "but cheese is healthy, especially cottage cheese"... the list goes on.

I understand that. It's hard for people to understand the difference between a diet and a lifestyle change. The whole30 is not a crash diet or a quick fix, but hopefully a lifelong change into better eating habits. You shouldn't have to explain your food choices to anyone. I read a blog before starting and the writer addressed this issue, saying that it's annoying to explain it because then people inevitably feel the need to defend or justify their own food choices, when you don't need them to do that. They can eat what they want, you can eat what you want, and we can all be happy.

Archived