Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

Susan, I think that's a good observation. Because I've done the Whole30s I have, I know what it feels like to feel good.. and it's what keeps me on track.

Anyone else finding they're salting their food a lot? I feel like I'm oversalting, but if I don't it doesn't taste as good to me. I'm bumping up my running, and know I'm getting a lot less salt that usual bc I'm not eating processed foods, and that it's probably okay... but geeze.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I started on the 4th too. I have done one Whole30 before, and I got to 20 days on one this fall before I was derailed. I had planned on doing a Whole30 for January, and then last month I started having some bad stomach issues so the timing seemed perfect. I have Addison's Disease and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, as well as all the fun little sub conditions that go with those. Long term use of corticosteroids for the Addison's has caused weight gain, joint issues (which I already have from the EDS as well) and now ulcers and an enlarged fatty liver. So even though as a general rule I try to eat pretty healthy I still need to change what I'm doing to heal my liver. It's frustrating but I'm only 33, I'm not morbidly obese, a diabetic or an alcoholic so even though it sucks hopefully I can change it.

Anyways, I work in an elementary school and today I had the weirdest craving hit me - a bologna sandwich on white bread with mustard and mayo. I have honestly not eaten or wanted to eat something like that in at least 10 years, probably more, I haven't eaten gluten in a year and a half and bologna grosses me out! My first Whole30 I had dreams about pasta with garlic and Parmesan cheese and I used to hate Parmesan cheese..,and ever since I finished that Whole30 I love it so I really hope I don't turn out to love processed gross lunch meat after this!

I feel fantastic and I'm really sad to have to go off plan for the next three days. (See above, but it's unavoidable/I'm not willing to go to the lengths of logistics I would have to go through to stay on-plan). So I'm doing the best I can and Sunday is day one again. But my partner is rocking and rolling - I'll have to talk him into staying on the extra 13 days with me...

Well, both my partner and I are still down for the count; I'm recovering though very slowly. This crud is really bad--must be a strain of flu. I haven't seen my (usually annoyingly healthy) partner this sick in years.

We are still compliant, though, and food has been weird. I've made what we have in the house, so combinations are getting difficult. I'm going to have to go to the store today, as we really cleaned out veg. I don't think I'm contagious anymore, thankfully.

My daughter lives nearby, and normally I'd ask her to help, but she's been coping with a horrible situation at work and she just found out she's pregnant. She's also on the W30, though I didn't hear from her yesterday, so I don't know if her situation got overwhelming. This is her first W30, after she saw how great it was for me the first round.

Otherwise, really things are moving along. I'm looking forward to those great rewards that I know are coming. Last night I had about an hour when I wanted to pop a cork and drown my sorrows, but I talked myself off the ledge and I feel more centered today. This was informative, though. I noticed that I was feeling really sorry for myself, so I wanted to off-road. That's good info to put into my awareness.

I hope everyone is doing well and getting past the Day 10--11 doldrums. We are almost getting to the good stuff!

Last night I had about an hour when I wanted to pop a cork and drown my sorrows, but I talked myself off the ledge and I feel more centered today. This was informative, though. I noticed that I was feeling really sorry for myself, so I wanted to off-road. That's good info to put into my awareness.

Foodie, something similar happened to me - I had a very stressful day and would normally have had a drink, but that was not an option, and I found myself standing over the stove stress-eating cauliflower rice out of the pan - that was a wake-up call, because it definitely doesn't have the same reward profile as pasta! Once I realized how automatic the action was, I put the food away and read a book instead, but I have some unpacking to do on both the alcohol and automatic food fronts.

Today I woke up and felt very tired of thinking about food...eating was a chore this morning. I don't actively want toast and peanut butter, but I want to not think about what I'm eating for a bit.

Foodie, something similar happened to me - I had a very stressful day and would normally have had a drink, but that was not an option, and I found myself standing over the stove stress-eating cauliflower rice out of the pan - that was a wake-up call, because it definitely doesn't have the same reward profile as pasta! Once I realized how automatic the action was, I put the food away and read a book instead, but I have some unpacking to do on both the alcohol and automatic food fronts.

Today I woke up and felt very tired of thinking about food...eating was a chore this morning. I don't actively want toast and peanut butter, but I want to not think about what I'm eating for a bit.

I understand this also. Yesterday afternoon for no reason, I wanted a beer. I didn't have a bad day or anything, just kept thinking I would have a beer when I got home from work then quickly remembered I can't. I had some club soda with lemon which helped. Maybe I just needed the bubbles. My boyfriend was over, and I told him I didn't feel like thinking about dinner so I was just gonna have eggs. I had an errand to run first, and he requested that I pick up some spinach, tomato and ricotta cheese for an omelette. (Those are our favorite toppings when we order white pizza, and he's not doing W30 so he can have the cheese.) I didn't miss the ricotta, but it was hard not to automatically lick the spoon that I used for putting the cheese in his omelette. And i had to deliberately remind myself to use separate spatulas so his cheese wouldn't get on my eggs.

This weekend I have to make a chocolate cake with chocolate icing for my friends daughter, and not do any taste testing! I'm seriously thinking about getting some of those surgical-type masks that people wear when they're painting or around other fumes. I'm pretty sure I have the willpower (I had to bake a cheesecake this week and didn't do any taste testing) but I don't know for sure...

Day 11 is it just me or are the days just flying by?

Susan - enjoy your time in New York! I went to NYU but have been back in boring old St louis for a few years now and miss the city.

Foodie-I hope you feel better soon. If you lived near me I would bring you groceries. Congrats on your daughter's pregnancy, is it your first grandchild?

L dougherty - I too wanted a beer yesterday out of the blue (and I'm way more of a wine girl typically). I was able to get out of my head pretty quickly, but I found it sort of odd.

Yesterday I spent most of my day running errands. I found myself thinking "gee everyone is being so nice today, the weather isnt particularly nice why is everyone so friendly?" Then I realized, it wasn't everyone else, it was me. I generally make an effort to be polite to everyone I encounter but some days it's just that an effort. Yesterday I found myself helping an elderly lady with her cart, having a conversation with the lady in the gas station about the designer of my purse, having a conversation with 2 random kids in Aldi about Frozen and Star Wars, smiling at everyone I passed and genuinely meaning it when I told people to have a nice day. It felt sooooo good! Then when my boyfriend got home and I had dinner ready for him he looked around the house and noticed the laundry and dishes I had done, the food I had bought and prepped and asked me if I had been going all day. It was almost 10 and yup, aside from sitting down to enjoy my lunch I had been productive pretty much since I got up at 7:30 that morning. Talk about some NSV right there! Let's keep it up everyone :)

Anyone else finding they're salting their food a lot? I feel like I'm oversalting, but if I don't it doesn't taste as good to me. I'm bumping up my running, and know I'm getting a lot less salt that usual bc I'm not eating processed foods, and that it's probably okay... but geeze.

Now that you mention it, I have been adding more salt to my food.  But the odd thing is that I'm not getting any cardio so I wonder why I feel compelled to add it.  Some things are fine without it because they're loaded with spices, but some things (eggs) just need a shake or two.

I understand this also. Yesterday afternoon for no reason, I wanted a beer. I didn't have a bad day or anything, just kept thinking I would have a beer when I got home from work then quickly remembered I can't. I had some club soda with lemon which helped. Maybe I just needed the bubbles.

I've too have had the thought of having a beer, but I haven't actually desired one.  I do like some bubbly beverages, so I have a seltzer with lunch and a kombucha or water kefir when I get home from work.

I didn't miss the ricotta, but it was hard not to automatically lick the spoon that I used for putting the cheese in his omelette. And i had to deliberately remind myself to use separate spatulas so his cheese wouldn't get on my eggs.

This weekend I have to make a chocolate cake with chocolate icing for my friends daughter, and not do any taste testing! I'm seriously thinking about getting some of those surgical-type masks that people wear when they're painting or around other fumes. I'm pretty sure I have the willpower (I had to bake a cheesecake this week and didn't do any taste testing) but I don't know for sure...

So true!  I haven't missed dairy products, but I almost absent-mindedly cleaned off a spoon that had been used to scoop out a bite of cream cheese (made my granddaughter a snack).  And I will be making a meal for a friend who just had a baby; I don't think the cooking or baking will trigger a craving, but I'll have to be more mindful of my actions!

For me, I have been struggling on and off with stomach issues.  I'm not usually one that has any trouble with my stomach, so I'm thinking I really overdid the garbage food before the W30 started.  My stomach seems to be doing better, but my digestion seems to be ridiculously slow.  Not to be graphic, but I am not eliminating all that I am ingesting in a very timely fashion - it seems to be moving through the system at a snail's pace.  I had a cup of Smooth Move tea last night, and it hasn't even stimulated anything dramatic (good thing since my work day has been non-stop busy with patients today).  But it's really uncomfortable and this has never happened on a W30 before.  Although wait, maybe my second one back in the Spring of 2014 started out like this.  I ended up on the AIP protocol because nothing was helping.  It was awful. My dr had me tested for everything she could think of, and after 4+ months, it simply resolved.  The 3-day stool test came back with some parasite, but my doc said if we treat it with antibiotics it will wipe out the good bacteria, so we let it be.  This time around it's not quite like that, but the discomfort is something virtually unknown in my experience.

I looked at the timeline today, and noticed that thoughts of alcohol around days 10-11 seem to be relatively common.  I'm skeptical about having Boundless Energy starting on Day 12, but who knows. 

I've made some new and different meals and I've been very satisfied.  I don't think I'm overeating, but it has crossed my mind.  I still get slightly hungry an hour or so before my next meal.  My clothes are still tight :angry:   I don't have any thoughts of bailing on the program, and I might just decide to go longer than 30.  I would love to try some recipes with compliant bacon, but I can't find it locally and I can't afford it from US Wellness Meats.  So I've contemplated using proscuitto (porkitos) in it's place - it just won't hold up as well in some recipes.

Now that you mention it, I have been adding more salt to my food. But the odd thing is that I'm not getting any cardio so I wonder why I feel compelled to add it. Some things are fine without it because they're loaded with spices, but some things (eggs) just need a shake or two.

I've too have had the thought of having a beer, but I haven't actually desired one. I do like some bubbly beverages, so I have a seltzer with lunch and a kombucha or water kefir when I get home from work.

So true! I haven't missed dairy products, but I almost absent-mindedly cleaned off a spoon that had been used to scoop out a bite of cream cheese (made my granddaughter a snack). And I will be making a meal for a friend who just had a baby; I don't think the cooking or baking will trigger a craving, but I'll have to be more mindful of my actions!

For me, I have been struggling on and off with stomach issues. I'm not usually one that has any trouble with my stomach, so I'm thinking I really overdid the garbage food before the W30 started. My stomach seems to be doing better, but my digestion seems to be ridiculously slow. Not to be graphic, but I am not eliminating all that I am ingesting in a very timely fashion - it seems to be moving through the system at a snail's pace. I had a cup of Smooth Move tea last night, and it hasn't even stimulated anything dramatic (good thing since my work day has been non-stop busy with patients today). But it's really uncomfortable and this has never happened on a W30 before. Although wait, maybe my second one back in the Spring of 2014 started out like this. I ended up on the AIP protocol because nothing was helping. It was awful. My dr had me tested for everything she could think of, and after 4+ months, it simply resolved. The 3-day stool test came back with some parasite, but my doc said if we treat it with antibiotics it will wipe out the good bacteria, so we let it be. This time around it's not quite like that, but the discomfort is something virtually unknown in my experience.

I have been having stomach problems (slow digestion) for a long time which is a big reason why I wanted to do the w30. Ive always noticed that when my diet is better (especially if I cut out cheese), my problems seem to go away, but I always go back to my old bad eating habits. So far during the w30 my problems have improved but are still not 100%. I'm hoping it's just one of those things that takes time. It's only day 11, I'm sure over the next 20 days you and I will both see more improvement.

Thank goodness I'm not having slow digestion myself like some of you are, but I just happened to read somewhere else on the forum that nuts can be a culprit of this, as can lack of water. We should be getting 1/2 our body weight in oz of water a day. Not sure if you had read that or not, just thought I'd mention it in case it might help!

Thank goodness I'm not having slow digestion myself like some of you are, but I just happened to read somewhere else on the forum that nuts can be a culprit of this, as can lack of water. We should be getting 1/2 our body weight in oz of water a day. Not sure if you had read that or not, just thought I'd mention it in case it might help!

I did read that about the water and based on that equation, I am surely getting enough. I drink it all day long. That being said, maybe I should cut back on the nuts. Peanut butter sometimes messes up my digestion so maybe the almonds I've been eating are having the same effect. I'm not eating tons of almonds but still.

• Administrators

All you folk that are struggling with constipation, are you taking a magnesium supplement? Magnesium draws water into the digestive tract so can be a big boon to people who are having bathroom issues.  It also helps amazingly with sleep.  Natural Calm (unflavoured) is a recommended brand that you can take before bed (powder added to water).  Start slow and work your way up to the point where you are having comfortable bowel movements. 

Nearly the entire western world is deficient in magnesium due to soil depletion so everyone can benefit from a magnesium supplement.

All you folk that are struggling with constipation, are you taking a magnesium supplement? Magnesium draws water into the digestive tract so can be a big boon to people who are having bathroom issues. It also helps amazingly with sleep. Natural Calm (unflavoured) is a recommended brand that you can take before bed (powder added to water). Start slow and work your way up to the point where you are having comfortable bowel movements.

Nearly the entire western world is deficient in magnesium due to soil depletion so everyone can benefit from a magnesium supplement.

I forgot about magnesium!! Now that you say that I remember reading about it in the w30 book. I used to have some magnesium powder that a friend had given me and it did help with both sleep and bathroom issues. Thanks for posting that.

It's okay :) you might be surprised how much salt you were eating before as even things like bread have crazy amounts of salt added (even if they don't taste salty). More sweat needs more water & more salt.

This was informative, though. I noticed that I was feeling really sorry for myself, so I wanted to off-road. That's good info to put into my awareness.

Huge learning there! :D Mine is hungry + tired + no compliant food = disaster

So I've contemplated using proscuitto (porkitos) in it's place - it just won't hold up as well in some recipes.

It's not totally the same, but if you can get pork belly, you can make something that's more like bacon (recipe wise). Roast it, slice it up and either cook it in the pan or add to recipes :) Compliant bacon is incredibly hard to get here

On bacon, I am in the process of asking my local Lucky's to order Pederson's bacon; it takes time to push them to start offering a new product, but I plan to only have sugar in my diet on purpose (such as birthday cake) as a permanent shift--not hidden in savory products, so I will buy it somewhat regularly.

Congrats, CBG, sounds like you are hitting a little Tiger Blood! That's exciting.

One note on Magnesium supplements: those who have IBSD/IBD may experience negative effects. I have to get magnesium from foods (greens, etc).

ok DAY 12 and I was really doubting the energy they said we'd start having today BUT HOLY COW!!!! I swear I got like 1000 things done already and its only 2:30!!!!

I feel awesome today!!!! my only issue is I HAVENT PLANNED DINNER YET!!! :) i'm sure there's leftovers...

How's everyone else doing?

28 DAYS LEFT!!! rock on!

ok DAY 12 and I was really doubting the energy they said we'd start having today BUT HOLY COW!!!! I swear I got like 1000 things done already and its only 2:30!!!!

I feel awesome today!!!! my only issue is I HAVENT PLANNED DINNER YET!!! :) i'm sure there's leftovers...

How's everyone else doing?

28 DAYS LEFT!!! rock on!

28?!?! LOL

ok DAY 12 ...

28 DAYS LEFT!!! rock on!

Hehe 40 days in January?!?

Still dealing with stomach issues - going to try and find some magnesium citrate until my order comes in.  Northern Vermont doesn't have too many large stores, and our small food coop and health food market don't carry a lot of things.  Even our Trader Joes (which just arrived about 18 months ago) is different than most, so they say...

On bacon, I am in the process of asking my local Lucky's to order Pederson's bacon;

Note that Pederson's has multiple bacon products - not all of them are Whole30 compliant. For example, their Uncured Beef Bacon contains brown sugar.  

You might want to be more specific with your request to your grocer.

Archived