Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

Uggghhhh - dumped a can of tomato sauce from the back of the cupboard into my dinner on the stove, only to then realize that it had sugar in it! So frustrating because I'm down to my last few things before shopping. I ended up making tuna salad instead and boxing up the other food to freeze and eat after Day 30.

I'm glad I discovered the problem before I started eating - it would have sucked to be derailed by something so lame. Heading to the grocery store shortly to get my ingredients for the next few days - including tomato sauce without sugar!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe 40 days in January?!?

Still dealing with stomach issues - going to try and find some magnesium citrate until my order comes in. Northern Vermont doesn't have too many large stores, and our small food coop and health food market don't carry a lot of things. Even our Trader Joes (which just arrived about 18 months ago) is different than most, so they say...

Lori where in Vermont do you live? I have friends in Burlington, and friends in Brandon. My friends in Brandon have to go to Rutland to do any major shopping.

I'm still having stomach issues too. I checked my local co-op as well as trader joes and didn't find natural calm (recommended w30 brand) magnesium. Trader joes had two or three different types but I didn't recognize some of the ingredients and was hesitant to buy it. So I guess I'll check whole foods tomorrow and if they don't have it I'll have to order it from Amazon.

Hi all, I am loving reading about your energy and experiences these past few days. Like some others I am feeling much more energetic and HAPPY pretty much all the time. I am loving that. I feel more confident and helpful at work too, which is so important to me. We had a big stressful meeting this week and I kept a big smile on my face all day long. I really struggled with letting stress get to me in the past, so this is a huge victory.

I'm still having breakouts and if there's anything that's getting me down, it's my skin. I'm trying to remind myself to be patient and keep going. I hope it clears up at some point. It's just so frustrating. Does anyone have any good skincare recommendations?

One final awesome thing, I've never been diagnosed as diabetic, but everyone in my family is so I've been worried about it for a long time. I've always had issues with blood sugar drops if I didn't eat every few hours. But, I am so pleased that since starting the W30 I haven't experienced any low blood sugar, even if I wait for 4-5 hours between meals! This is so great and I am trying to keep my focus on good things like this!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Almost halfway, which is nice. This morning I had almost convinced myself to quit, but then I realized I was almost half way there so it would be a waste to give up now. Plus if I gave up then what? Go back to not eating well and make all my health problems worse?

I had one fantastic energy bomb day this week on Wednesday, in the morning I was so energetic...by the time I was done work I was soo tired and now I've had a cold since then. It won't come out full blown though which is kind of annoying, it's like a half cold that's dragging for days.

For people having digestive issues and constipation, have you tried aloe vera juice? It tastes horrific (better when mixed with apple juice or something acidic) but apparently it works well for that. I've been trying it because I was told it's also good for ulcers and stomach irritation.

Almost halfway, which is nice. This morning I had almost convinced myself to quit, but then I realized I was almost half way there so it would be a waste to give up now. Plus if I gave up then what? Go back to not eating well and make all my health problems worse?

I had one fantastic energy bomb day this week on Wednesday, in the morning I was so energetic...by the time I was done work I was soo tired and now I've had a cold since then. It won't come out full blown though which is kind of annoying, it's like a half cold that's dragging for days.

For people having digestive issues and constipation, have you tried aloe vera juice? It tastes horrific (better when mixed with apple juice or something acidic) but apparently it works well for that. I've been trying it because I was told it's also good for ulcers and stomach irritation.

I haven't tried aloe Vera juice, but I was at Giant earlier and they had edible aloe Vera leaves in the produce section. They were huge! I didn't know you could just eat them. I've never seen them for sale in a store before. My mom always had aloe plants and we would just tear a leaf off and use it for burns and stuff, but never knew we could eat them.

Lazy bones -I hope that cold goes away soon, and im soo glad that you didn't let yourself quit!

I had a terrible dream last night that I had a few drinks (I don't even know what they were but I clearly didn't even enjoy them even in my dream.) When I woke up the next day in the dream I felt guilty for drinking and annoyed to be back at day 1. I was thinking "I didn't even have fun last night, why did I do that?) Which is kind of funny. I work in 2 restaurants and am constantly around alcohol. Old me drank pretty much every day just because. Someone would say "hey if you work tonight I'll buy you a margarita", or a table would ask me to do a shot with them or we would get in new wine that I wanted to try. But in the past 2 weeks I haven't missed it at all or even thought much about it. Until today. I worked 11 to 430 at one job that was crazy busy then went straight to the other job (shoving chicken salad in my mouth on the drive) and am about to get off around 10. Yea my feet hurt, my back hurts and wine sounds really good. For a split second I almost thought "oh I could just have 2 glasses, and get right back to it tomorrow" but I know it doesn't work that way. I know that if I did that I wouldn't even enjoy the wine, because the second it hit my lips I would be disappointed in myself. I reminded myself how incredible I have been feeling. I reminded myself why I am doing this, and my reasons are far more important than any glass of wine could ever be. So,I'm going to draw a nice hot bubble bath, find the cheesiest chic lit to put on my kindle and lay in the tub with my favorite la Croix. That sounds much more relaxing than drinking what would inevitably turn in to a bottle of wine and being fuzzy all day tomorrow doesn't it?!

Cbg- what a great alternative to drinking. I bet at this point, wine wouldn't even taste the same as it used to. It is so easy to drink and eat casually when you're working in a restaurant. Everyone is going out for drinks after work, sure why not? Dead fries in the food window? Ok! Oh that dessert was made by accident? Pass it over! Lol. Good for you for sticking with the plan. I know sometimes when you've been working somewhere for awhile, all the food starts to get boring and when you have been around it all day, nothing looks appetizing anymore but you eat there anyway because it's easy and you're hungry. Or the opposite- you're so over it that you just lose your appetite and don't eat anything. At least that was always my experience. Seems to me you had a NSV day yesterday :)

It is so easy to drink and eat casually when you're working in a restaurant. Everyone is going out for drinks after work, sure why not? Dead fries in the food window? Ok! Oh that dessert was made by accident? Pass it over! Lol. Good for you for sticking with the plan. I know sometimes when you've been working somewhere for awhile, all the food starts to get boring and when you have been around it all day, nothing looks appetizing anymore but you eat there anyway because it's easy and you're hungry.

Yup, I'm so glad you get it! And thsnk you fkr the support. Also, my aldi had that salmon and I was so excited. I bought three and they were delicious, but then I went back hoping they might have more and they were gone. So yea buy about ten packs lol

I'm still having breakouts and if there's anything that's getting me down, it's my skin. I'm trying to remind myself to be patient and keep going. I hope it clears up at some point. It's just so frustrating. Does anyone have any good skincare recommendations?

One final awesome thing, I've never been diagnosed as diabetic, but everyone in my family is so I've been worried about it for a long time. I've always had issues with blood sugar drops if I didn't eat every few hours. But, I am so pleased that since starting the W30 I haven't experienced any low blood sugar, even if I wait for 4-5 hours between meals! This is so great and I am trying to keep my focus on good things like this!

It will clear up, it's just your hormones. Proactive is pretty effective.

Huge NSV with your blood sugar! I was prediabetic my first W30 and I'm now in the normal range :D Don't think it's something you can't reverse (Type 2).

Be careful with aloe vera, it's a class 1 laxative and can do damage and cause pain, especially for people with IBS. It's also linked to a number of risks, so make sure your doctor know you are going to try it, some medications it shouldn't be taken with.

Natural Calm (unflavoured) is a recommended brand that you can take before bed (powder added to water). 

Nearly the entire western world is deficient in magnesium due to soil depletion so everyone can benefit from a magnesium supplement.

I ran out of my magnesium supplement, and the one I usually get is on back-order.  I actually stopped by my co-op Friday, and they had it; I thought they only had the cal-mag variety.  Hoorah!  It has helped, but I'm not yet completely comfortable.

Lori where in Vermont do you live? I have friends in Burlington, and friends in Brandon. My friends in Brandon have to go to Rutland to do any major shopping.

I'm in Colchester, just north of Burlington.  I love the town of Brandon - so pretty and unique.

I had a great day today.  Got up early for a Sunday (6:45), walked the dog, had leftover Scheherazade Omelet, and headed up to the mountain for my first ski day in almost 2 years!  (Had major back surgery in March 2015).  It was a perfect morning, and I skied 6 runs, then headed home by 11.  It was just starting to get busy, my legs were pretty dead, and it was getting overcast.  Stopped at the store and picked up a couple of things for cooking tomorrow, and was able to sit down and watch most of the Panthers-Seahawks game.  Sewed a neck warmer for my granddaughter and started a sweatshirt for her.  I feel so accomplished!

Is anyone else feeling kinda blue?  I am 100% compliant, not tired, or anything like that, just still kinda easy to get frustrated and blue.   

I'm not sure what day you're on, but you can feel cranky if you're not getting enough starchy veg, try adding in an extra sweet potato today.

Day 15!! meal prep this weekend included shrimp fra diabolo- compliant crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, Sundried tomatoes, olives, broccoli and of course shrimp- served with spaghetti squash. I cannot wait to eat the leftovers for lunch.

I ran out of my magnesium supplement, and the one I usually get is on back-order. I actually stopped by my co-op Friday, and they had it; I thought they only had the cal-mag variety. Hoorah! It has helped, but I'm not yet completely comfortable.

I'm in Colchester, just north of Burlington. I love the town of Brandon - so pretty and unique.

I had a great day today. Got up early for a Sunday (6:45), walked the dog, had leftover Scheherazade Omelet, and headed up to the mountain for my first ski day in almost 2 years! (Had major back surgery in March 2015). It was a perfect morning, and I skied 6 runs, then headed home by 11. It was just starting to get busy, my legs were pretty dead, and it was getting overcast. Stopped at the store and picked up a couple of things for cooking tomorrow, and was able to sit down and watch most of the Panthers-Seahawks game. Sewed a neck warmer for my granddaughter and started a sweatshirt for her. I feel so accomplished!

That is awesome about the skiing! I bet you feel amazing! Congrats.

Is anyone else feeling kinda blue?  I am 100% compliant, not tired, or anything like that, just still kinda easy to get frustrated and blue.   

Yes I am too, day 15 and felt this way on and off the last 2 weeks. Just feeling flat, down and have a very short fuse. I have been eating sweet potatoes every day though.

Note that Pederson's has multiple bacon products - not all of them are Whole30 compliant. For example, their Uncured Beef Bacon contains brown sugar.  

You might want to be more specific with your request to your grocer.

I am sure someone else has already mentioned this, or maybe you aren't near a Whole Foods, but Whole Foods has W30 compliant bacon!!  Got 3 packages of it there the other day.  I have noticed that not ALL whole foods carry it though.  :)  

Hi all, I am loving reading about your energy and experiences these past few days. Like some others I am feeling much more energetic and HAPPY pretty much all the time. I am loving that. I feel more confident and helpful at work too, which is so important to me. We had a big stressful meeting this week and I kept a big smile on my face all day long. I really struggled with letting stress get to me in the past, so this is a huge victory.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

HI there!  You are detoxing, so it is going to take a bit for your body and skin to push out all of those toxins....it will get better, promise!   Also, the best thing you could do for your skin is to NOT put chemical laden soaps and lotions on your skin....especially while you are detoxing (keep in mind everything you stick on your skin, your largest organ, gets absorbed into your blood stream).  I switched to using nothing but coconut oil a year ago when I did my first W30 and my skin cleared up and has been amazing ever since.  I don't use anything on my skin that I wouldn't eat!  

I just realized that I haven't had heart burn since starting the whole30. I have never been a chronic sufferer of heart burn, but I would get it on a pretty regular basis and find myself eating Rolaids or tums. Or if I knew it was coming, I would take a Pepcid. sometimes certain foods would trigger it, sometimes it would just occurr randomly, or seemed random anyway. It was probably all the added sugar and preservatives, not to mention alcohol. Green bell peppers would often do it, and I haven't tried them since starting whole30 but maybe I will.

Yes I am too, day 15 and felt this way on and off the last 2 weeks. Just feeling flat, down and have a very short fuse. I have been eating sweet potatoes every day though.

Good idea.  I'm feeling better today.   I hope you have a great day tomorrow!

I just realized that I haven't had heart burn since starting the whole30. I have never been a chronic sufferer of heart burn, but I would get it on a pretty regular basis and find myself eating Rolaids or tums. Or if I knew it was coming, I would take a Pepcid. sometimes certain foods would trigger it, sometimes it would just occurr randomly, or seemed random anyway. It was probably all the added sugar and preservatives, not to mention alcohol. Green bell peppers would often do it, and I haven't tried them since starting whole30 but maybe I will.

Yay that's definitely anot NSV!! Also, every time you talk about the food you make (the shrimp earlier, the kale and pineapple the other day) it sounds sooooo good!!

Help please!

I'm on Day 16 and I'm really struggling. I'm getting the Whole 30 emails talking about the energy boost I'm supposed to have and all the magic I should be feeling and I'm not seeing any of this at all!

I'm having problems sleeping, I fall asleep fine but I'm waking up and taking an hour or two to get back to sleep - and this can happen up to twice a night! I'm also waking up struggling with my asthma and sneezing with allergies which isn't normal at all. Usually I sleep well for 8 hours a night & I have pretty good sleep habits so I can't understand why this is happening. Last time I did a Whole 30 I slept great - what's happening this time! The lack of sleep is making me tired and cranky, I have big black circles under my eyes and my focus is rubbish. My body isn't changing, my skin is the same and right now I can't see how Whole 30 is benefitting me. I committed to 30 days so I will see it through but I need some help!!

Help please!I'm on Day 16 and I'm really struggling. I'm getting the Whole 30 emails talking about the energy boost I'm supposed to have and all the magic I should be feeling and I'm not seeing any of this at all!I'm having problems sleeping, I fall asleep fine but I'm waking up and taking an hour or two to get back to sleep - and this can happen up to twice a night! I'm also waking up struggling with my asthma and sneezing with allergies which isn't normal at all. Usually I sleep well for 8 hours a night & I have pretty good sleep habits so I can't understand why this is happening. Last time I did a Whole 30 I slept great - what's happening this time! The lack of sleep is making me tired and cranky, I have big black circles under my eyes and my focus is rubbish. My body isn't changing, my skin is the same and right now I can't see how Whole 30 is benefitting me. I committed to 30 days so I will see it through but I need some help!!

Ugh, that sucks! Some people have suggested a magnesium supplement for sounder sleep. My body feels pretty good, but it hasn't changed one bit either which is a little discouraging. I'm trying to just keep in mind that that's not the point of the whole30. Also, the emails and the book are saying that this is around the time the magic usually starts and that people report feeling strangely happy. That was one of the benefits that I was hoping to experience, a shift in mood. I'm not overly cranky or anything, but I'm not strangely happy and have even been feeling really down yesterday and today. Of course something like that could be due to external factors. I just keep reminding myself there are still a few more weeks left to go, give it time.

Archived