Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

Thinking ahead to next week's reintroduction phase - who is doing the slow reintro and who is doing the quick track? I haven't entirely decided for myself, though I am in no hurry to reintroduce alcohol (I really only drink on special occasions and every once-in-a-great-while for dinner when I've has a stressful day, but since I haven't been as stressed since I've been eating better, I probably won't crave it.), but I would like to see how I do with legumes (I think that's the first reintroduction on the fast track). 

For those who have done this before, do you have any thoughts one way or another regarding which speed you reintroduce foods?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am torn between doing the slow reintroduction and formally stretching out the program to a Whole 45. I've seen a lot of NSVs and want to stick it out a bit longer, although yesterday I was exhausted and just wanted to stop having to think about food so much (is this something that just happens at this point in the program?). Also I am SO TIRED of eggs. Is anyone else thinking of staying on plan a bit longer?

• Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 2 posts

I am torn between doing the slow reintroduction and formally stretching out the program to a Whole 45. I've seen a lot of NSVs and want to stick it out a bit longer, although yesterday I was exhausted and just wanted to stop having to think about food so much (is this something that just happens at this point in the program?). Also I am SO TIRED of eggs. Is anyone else thinking of staying on plan a bit longer?

My husband and I are staying on it for another 2 weeks and after that, we promised ourselves clean WHOLE30 eating Sunday thru Friday - not going to overindulge on Saturdays but going to allow myself to have a nice meal out (not fast food) and even having a glass of wine or two.

I wont be doing this every weekend but occasionally. I honestly have no cravings for sugary, fatty foods right now, I find that I do crave "clean" foods which is funny for me. I absolutely love the meals I've made over the last month and will keep making those plus new ones I might find.

I am also staying away from Dairy which isn't too difficult for me, I feel bloated when I eat dairy.

Again, this isn't a Diet, its a new way of life and new way to eat....you proved to yourself you have control over your mind and cravings...and you love yourself enough to get this far, pretty impressive, don't you think?

I'm totally nervous about reintroducing foods. I'm planning on doing the slower track, to really see how certain things make me feel. I am looking forward to having a glass of wine on day 31. As far as food, the main things I want to reintroduce are beans/legumes, and dairy. I used to eat Greek yogurt almost every day. I've decided I can live without granola bars, cereal, potato chips etc. at least on a regular basis. I mean really I would only eat granola bars between breakfast and lunch because my breakfasts used to be too small. Now that I know how it feels to be satiated between meals, I don't crave those snacks anymore. But I do love Greek yogurt with fruit and am hoping it doesn't have a negative effect, it would be good to incorporate into some of my breakfasts on a regular basis.

I have been reading that sometimes for certain people, they don't see the NSV's or victories they had hoped to within 30 days and decide to keep going. I think it's pretty common to do so. The timeline in the book is just a basic guide, everyone is different. If you go back and look, it says days 16-30 (or maybe 16-28) are tiger blood. But there's an interlude, day 21 is "I am so over this." So maybe that's where you are at this point on day 24?

Day 28 (we are so close!!). I am craving cottage cheese so bad! I am honestly afraid of day 31. I'm afraid even a bite of dairy or grains will bring back my binge habit...especially since it is not a calorie counting lifestyle. I am planning on doing the fast track re-intro, but I am really nervous. 

Thanks those who gave the encouraging words. They were sorely needed. :)

Day 26. I want a beer.

I've had that feeling several times, but it's usually fleeting.  I've also had moments of craving sugar.  All this in the last 5 days.  I'm starting to think about my reintro and how I'm going to do it.  I think I will add dairy first, but I don't have any dairy in the house, so maybe I should think about something else.  There really isn't anything else I feel strongly about reintroducing; maybe I should just keep on keeping on for a little while.  I am planning to have a beer on Superbowl Sunday!  I also may make the Buffalo Chicken Chopped Salad from Mel Joulwan again, or the SBJ Burger.  Both of those felt like serious comfort food, delicious and W30 approved too. 

Day 28!!!

It has not been easy, but the challenge has been rewarding in many ways. I have learned to treat myself with things other than a fancy bottle of wine, or a box of dark chocolate truffles...although those are the things I miss most.

I have learned wonderful and creative new ways to prepare meals using fresh ingredients and new alternatives for off program foods.

I've found healthy ways to relieve stress. My clothes feel less cinching on my waist. I'm not puffy anymore

I've been waking up about 2 hours earlier everyday and I've felt much more well rested than I can remember feeling before.

I am very excited to have a piece of chocolate and a glass of wine on day 31, but I plan on holding onto the majority of the rules. This lifestyle seems to suit me!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful journey! I know we're not at 30 days yet, but it sure feels great to be on day 28.

I guess I'll be doing a combo of fast track & slow track reintroductions. I don't want to reintroduce as the opportunities present themselves - I know if I did that, most likely, it would be a double, triple, or quadruple punch. So, I plan to skip the alcohol reintro (I don't really need to know how I feel with alcohol since I already know it makes me sleepy!), start with garbanzos, wait, black beans, wait, rice, wait, other GF grains, wait, then dairy, wait, and skip gluten altogether (I knew from before it made my joints stiff and made me sleepy). 

I'm not sure how to approach sugar though. My goal is to avoid it for the most part, but I do want to have some chocolate at Valentine's Day, cuz - hello! Anyway, I'm not sure if I should isolate that one or just add it later. And, if I do isolate it, should I start with sugar or leave it for the end. Decisions, decisions...

I thought he fast track was the slow track. I went back and looked at the book again and realized that it's the fast track I want. Tomorrow is day 30, and I plan on waiting until Thursday to have a glass of wine with my boyfriend. I think I'm going to follow the fast track to a T, introducing the recommended foods on the recommended days.

Last night I decided to have an apple with some almond butter. This is the first time I've eaten those two together since starting. My sugar dragon was raging afterwards. I wanted chocolate, wine, and pasta. Instead I brushed & flossed, watched my tv show and got ready for bed. I was surprised, fruit hasn't really been having that effect on me but I guess the combination was just too much.

I guess I'll be doing a combo of fast track & slow track reintroductions. I don't want to reintroduce as the opportunities present themselves - I know if I did that, most likely, it would be a double, triple, or quadruple punch. So, I plan to skip the alcohol reintro (I don't really need to know how I feel with alcohol since I already know it makes me sleepy!), start with garbanzos, wait, black beans, wait, rice, wait, other GF grains, wait, then dairy, wait, and skip gluten altogether (I knew from before it made my joints stiff and made me sleepy).

I'm not sure how to approach sugar though. My goal is to avoid it for the most part, but I do want to have some chocolate at Valentine's Day, cuz - hello! Anyway, I'm not sure if I should isolate that one or just add it later. And, if I do isolate it, should I start with sugar or leave it for the end. Decisions, decisions...

I'm also not sure how to approach this. Part of me wants chocolate first, but I'm worried that if I start eating chocolate I won't stop. But I'm hoping that I've learned enough through the last month to be able to control how much of it I consume, and be able to really savor it, enjoy it, and not go overboard.

I can't believe tomorrow is day 30 already! Congrats to all of us for starting out 2016 in a healthy way.

It sounds like everyone has a pretty good handle on what they would like to do for reintros, but I'm not really sure what to do. The only thing I really miss is wine. I've never liked beans, I'm already weird about cheese (I'm pretty sure dairy and I don't agree), and I'm more into salty foods than sweets anyway. Pasta and bread are good but I can do without. And honestly in the past 29 days there were really only 2 times that I really really wanted a drink. (One was terrible, stupid PMS, but some olives and my sister helped me through it and I am now stronger for knowing I can deal). We are celebrating my mom's birthday at a winery this weekend and while I havent decided definitely I will probably have a glass or two. I honestly think I am strong enough to keep it at 2 and say no to cheese and cake. It definitely helps that I'm planning to pack a picnic and will have plenty of delicious whole 30 compliant food to share.

After that I may go back to strict whole 30 for a while. I know I feel better when I eat like this, and I think I have some more healing to do. But then on the other hand, I would like to go to a restaurant again at some point and not have to question everything, and know for sure what I should steer clear of. Maybe I should go ahead and do reintros now and I can always come back to another whole 30 anytime.

I guess I'm just going to take it day by day for now. No matter what happens, I'm sooooo glad I started when I did!

Happy day 30 everyone!

I weighed in this morning and lost 10 pounds. I'm so happy! More importantly, I feel better (and lighter).

I'm really going to try to stick with a whole30-esque diet for as long as possible, but looking forward to not having to read every single label.

Happy day 30 everyone!

looking forward to not having to read every single label.

Yes, it will be nice to bring a few things back into my diet that were off-limits because of ingredients (bacon, almond milk).  I know there are more, but those are the two that come to mind.  I haven't gotten on the scale, and honestly I don't think I've lost a single pound.  Not that I really needed to, but I have been struggling with sluggish digestion this entire month.  My clothes don't fit any better / looser, so I can't imagine that the number has changed.  Even if it has, I'm more dialed in to the way my clothes feel than the number on the scale.  Although I'd love to have a beer just because I can, I'm not going to.  This wasn't a program that was forced on me, which strangely would have that feeling if I jumped right back to my old habits "just because..." but I think I have more to learn about my relationship with food and my digestive issues by going longer.  Maybe I shouldn't add those things back in just yet.  However I am still planning to have a beer on Sunday :)   I am trying to get more details on fast track v. slow roll, but I think that's laid out in the book, and maybe not in so much detail on the website. 

So our department is having a post-holiday luncheon on Monday Feb 8th.  I have no idea what type of food will be offered so it's hard to feel prepared.  What group of foods would I be willing to have if I make this a reintro day?  I'm sure many (most) will be combination foods, or have crappy ingredients.  I should probably avoid sugar.  And probably avoid gluten products.  I don't have a huge desire to eat legumes or non-gluten grains in my regular diet, however they're probably the safest to begin with.  Thoughts?

• Moderators

Congratulations everyone!

May I ask that if you want to stick together as a group to discuss reintroductions and life after Whole30 that you post over on the reintroduction thread that I made you?  We like to keep the Join the Whole30 boards free of re-intro discussions so that we don't confuse the newbies.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33980-graduates-of-starting-1416/

Yes, it will be nice to bring a few things back into my diet that were off-limits because of ingredients (bacon, almond milk). I know there are more, but those are the two that come to mind. I haven't gotten on the scale, and honestly I don't think I've lost a single pound. Not that I really needed to, but I have been struggling with sluggish digestion this entire month. My clothes don't fit any better / looser, so I can't imagine that the number has changed. Even if it has, I'm more dialed in to the way my clothes feel than the number on the scale. Although I'd love to have a beer just because I can, I'm not going to. This wasn't a program that was forced on me, which strangely would have that feeling if I jumped right back to my old habits "just because..." but I think I have more to learn about my relationship with food and my digestive issues by going longer. Maybe I shouldn't add those things back in just yet. However I am still planning to have a beer on Sunday :) I am trying to get more details on fast track v. slow roll, but I think that's laid out in the book, and maybe not in so much detail on the website.

So our department is having a post-holiday luncheon on Monday Feb 8th. I have no idea what type of food will be offered so it's hard to feel prepared. What group of foods would I be willing to have if I make this a reintro day? I'm sure many (most) will be combination foods, or have crappy ingredients. I should probably avoid sugar. And probably avoid gluten products. I don't have a huge desire to eat legumes or non-gluten grains in my regular diet, however they're probably the safest to begin with. Thoughts?

Lori I am with you. My body looks exactly the same and my clothes still fit the same, but I also wasn't doing this for weight loss. My digestion has also been a little sluggish, but after the first two weeks it got better and has continued to improve. I was originally considering using a magnesium supplement but decided to let my gut heal naturally through this process. And I can tell it's working. I plan on eating mostly whole30 from now on. I just got a call with a new job offer, which I accepted, and am so excited. I am definitely having a glass of wine on Thursday, which is the day I plan to begin my reintro. If I were you, I would follow the guidelines in the book. If you're not craving legumes or gluten grains or alcohol, maybe have a few pieces of cheese or some other type of dairy (if it's offered at the luncheon) and see how it makes you feel.

• Moderators

I am trying to get more details on fast track v. slow roll, but I think that's laid out in the book, and maybe not in so much detail on the website. 

So our department is having a post-holiday luncheon on Monday Feb 8th.  I have no idea what type of food will be offered so it's hard to feel prepared.  What group of foods would I be willing to have if I make this a reintro day?  I'm sure many (most) will be combination foods, or have crappy ingredients.  I should probably avoid sugar.  And probably avoid gluten products.  I don't have a huge desire to eat legumes or non-gluten grains in my regular diet, however they're probably the safest to begin with.  Thoughts?

Regular reintroduction informationSlow roll reintroduction method.

For your luncheon, the safest bet would probably be to bring your lunch, whether you eat it there with everyone else or either before or after the luncheon. If you choose to do that, you might find a salad or some fruit to nibble on during the luncheon. If it's a seated lunch, it may be more obvious, but most work functions that I've been to are pretty casual, and you could probably walk around and talk to people and no one would be the wiser about what you ate or didn't eat.

Archived