Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

Started January 2, but going to follow this forum since i couldnt find anyone who started then.  This is my second go around.  Did my first time in June last year.  Already craving sugar like a mad woman!!! And definitely getting irritable.  I think its all mental for me.  I keep thinking about what i can't have is making it harder.  

Also started drinking hot water with lemon this morning and I LOVE IT!! So simple.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! Starting today in my 3rd Whole 30! My goal for this round is to complete it as well or better as my last and to carry it over another 30-60 days to adapt and create a "loose" whole 30 lifestyle. I have yet to be disappointed in the results of doing whole 30! So I'm ready to make it my full time way of eating and living now! Who's with me?

Hi there!  This is my 2nd Whole30. I completed about 32 days in September and was very happy with how I was feeling. Then we had holidays and a ton of work stress. I think I ate my way through the stress in December. I'm ready to feel better again.

I've got a cruise at the end of February. I might try to make this a Whole 50.

Can't wait to get to know everyone. This is going to be a great month (headaches and all!)!

sandy

• Moderators

I was wondering about melatonin and valerian root. I sometimes need help falling asleep. I'll have to check the ingredients of what I have at home. That soup sounds delicious!

Be careful with Valerian root if you've not used it before... I had a tea from David's Tea with VR in it... the first night was great and great sleep... the subsequent nights were the most horrific nightmares I have ever had... it can have that side effect... 

Hi all, I've started today as well! This will be my first Whole30 and I've been preparing by focusing on all the things I can have instead of what I can't. It helps that I work from home so can really control what I eat throughout the day.

Curious as to whether anyone else is doing this as a pescetarian. I'm planning to do the full program (no vegetarian modifications) so will be on the lookout for lots of fish and egg recipes!

Well Fed's salmon cakes are so delicious.. I could eat them every day. :) 

Be careful with Valerian root if you've not used it before... I had a tea from David's Tea with VR in it... the first night was great and great sleep... the subsequent nights were the most horrific nightmares I have ever had... it can have that side effect...

Thank you. I have used it before and never had a problem (that is scary though!) I try not to take stuff like that too many nights in a row as I'm afraid I'll become dependent on it.

Hi everyone! Today is day 1 of my first W30 and I'm super excited but also nervous. My boyfriend (who isn't doing it with me but knows it's important to me) is already having food dreams for me. Last night he had a dream that someone brought Krispy Kreme donuts and he ate some, tried to hide them from me but then turned around and I was eating them!!

Haha this made me laugh! My boyfriend doesn't want to join me either but is really supportive and pretty much eats what I put in front of him (though for some reason he feels the need to add cheese to pretty much everything -yuck!) It's extremely helpful to have someone there for you and it definitely sounds like your man totally gets it!Good luck.

Hi RenaissanceGirl. I, too, am doing this as a pescetarian with no vegetarian modifications. I have found numerous recipes on Instagram (@whole30recipes) and also a website called applestozoodles.com Just be careful on apples to zoodles. Some of the recipes are paleo and not necessarily W30 compliant but they do have indicators as to which are W30 and which are not.

• Moderators

I started today, too! Looking forward to sharing the journey. I have major anxiety about not being able to keep the willpower. Hope everyone had a great first day!

Just take it meal by meal if the thought of the full 30 days is overwhelming/anxiety inducing. Each good choice will build on the next and before you know it, bammo! You'll be at Day 30!

Haha this made me laugh! My boyfriend doesn't want to join me either but is really supportive and pretty much eats what I put in front of him (though for some reason he feels the need to add cheese to pretty much everything -yuck!) It's extremely helpful to have someone there for you and it definitely sounds like your man totally gets it!Good luck.

:) I also asked him this morning if he wanted breakfast and he said no. Then when he came in the kitchen and saw what I had he said "oh, if I knew you were eating scrambled eggs and potatoes and avocado I might have said yes" lol. Neither of us are big on eating first thing in the morning but I realize how important it is and am making it a point to eat before coffee.

Hi everyone!!! So this is Day 2! And I already have some questions from lessons learned from my previous Whole 30.

During my first whole30 I did not manage to drink much fluids. I was sooo focused on the food (I really have to force myself to drink) and since it was winter time all I had was (maybe) a cup of tea everyday. Very little water. Just vegetable soup sometimes. In the end I lost 3lbs, and although my non scale victories were great I feel that I would have felt much better if I had just drank more water. So, my question is: is there a recommendation on fluid intake per day? Or should I just drink to thirst?

On another note, I know that for me days 3-6 are the worst, with major fatigue. I never drink coffee or caffeine, so I'm planning on having a cup of black coffee in the morning during these days just to be more alert during the day. I am going to the gym at 7AM (normally I have a pre-workout small meal, I just wake up at 6:45AM) and then I have a big breakfast afterwards. Most people say that to have a better performance throughout the day you should drink your coffee first thing before workout. But Whole 30 recommends to have breakfast before coffee. So when should I drink my (much needed) coffee?

During my first whole30 I did not manage to drink much fluids. I was sooo focused on the food (I really have to force myself to drink) and since it was winter time all I had was (maybe) a cup of tea everyday. Very little water. Just vegetable soup sometimes. In the end I lost 3lbs, and although my non scale victories were great I feel that I would have felt much better if I had just drank more water. So, my question is: is there a recommendation on fluid intake per day? Or should I just drink to thirst?

On another note, I know that for me days 3-6 are the worst, with major fatigue. I never drink coffee or caffeine, so I'm planning on having a cup of black coffee in the morning during these days just to be more alert during the day. I am going to the gym at 7AM (normally I have a pre-workout small meal, I just wake up at 6:45AM) and then I have a big breakfast afterwards. Most people say that to have a better performance throughout the day you should drink your coffee first thing before workout. But Whole 30 recommends to have breakfast before coffee. So when should I drink my (much needed) coffee?

I think when you know you drink far too little, drinking to thirst isn't always a good idea. Sometimes a little flavor in your water can go a long way in helping you drink it: http://whole30.com/2012/10/quench-your-thirst-whole9-style/

I'd drink your coffee with or after breakfast. A lot of people don't actually do well with coffee before workouts, it can be rough on the stomach.

So how is everyone feeling on day 2? I expected to wake up feeling hungover or at least have a headache, but instead I'm just a little lethargic. Had breakfast (scrambled egg with mashed sweet potatoes and a side of avocado) and am drinking coffee. I'm wondering if I'll feel the hangover tomorrow.

Hi everyone!!! So this is Day 2! And I already have some questions from lessons learned from my previous Whole 30.

A rough way to figure how much *water* you need is one ounce per half pound of body weight. So, if you weigh 160 lbs you need 80 ounces. More isn't bad, but if you drink much less you may struggle. Drinking water also helps you feel less fatigued. 90% of the time I feel run down, I can drink a giant glass of water and feel better within half an hour. As far as coffee, I drink one cup before breakfast, one after and one in the early afternoon. I don't rely on it for the caffeine, so I'm not really hung up on having to drink it to get through. 

I also noticed on my first Whole30 that the first week I was feeling VERY run down, so upped the amount of carbs I was getting and it helped a ton. I have a feeling between making sure you're hydrated and eating enough food that you won't feel *quite* as run down this time (although I realize fatigue at this stage can and does happen). 

Good luck!! 

Just take it meal by meal if the thought of the full 30 days is overwhelming/anxiety inducing. Each good choice will build on the next and before you know it, bammo! You'll be at Day 30!

Thanks for the advice! I'll do my best. One meal at a time! :) I'm already daydreaming about pizza.

Archived