Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

This headache is lasting a bit longer than 1 or 2 days  :(   My poor body is trying to get all those dang toxins out.  I spent 50 minutes on my spin bike tonight.  And tomorrow I see my p/t to get some orthotics - hopefully it will help with the numbness in my foot, and the plantar fasciitis.  I was hoping to ski this weekend, but it looks like our weather is going to climb back up into the 40's and rain.  Boo.  Ah well, more opportunity to cook up some awesome food.  I'm really looking forward to the day when my belly feels normal again.  Been having a kombucha or water kefir once a day. 

And as I've been reading posts, I realized that booksandcoffee and ladyshanny were part of the last W30 I did, the Spring into May (2015)!  Nice to see you again :) 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done quite a few Whole30s and I find the detox phase quite interesting as it's never the same. No headache for me this time, but I've been coffee and caffeine free for quite a few weeks. I had some really yukky hot/cold/flush/sweat moments and aches and tiredness, but I think it's all behind me already, felt normal today and I notice when I'm "through" as when I wake up in the morning it's like flipping a switch (non-W30 it's a bit like poking the bear lol)

I started on 1/4 - have two successful 30's behind me, but never got reintroduction right.

I'm hoping to heal my gut issues - I'm nauseated at night and get uncomfortably full very quickly but am ravenous again in an hour. Day four here, and I already feel some improvement.

I also am stuck in the exhaustion/insomnia cycle. I have a history of depression (currently treated with medication and therapy), and hypothyroidism. I was taking Armour thyroid for years, but stopped about six months ago because I felt like it was increasing my anxiety. My best memory of my last 30 (last winter) was that I slept better and had great energy - the nature of my depression changes too when I'm not chronically sleep-deprived. I'm more readily able to pinpoint depression, as opposed to malaise caused by exhaustion.

Big big goals this time: trying to decide whether to do a legit totally compliant whole90 - or whether I will begin reintroduction verrrrrry slowly (like, one at a time with a week full-30 in between) over that period. Whichever way it goes, I have found that 30 days was definitely not long enough to change my disordered relationship with food.

I'm hoping to get a pat on the head from my endocrinologist in six months for better cholesterol and glucose numbers, and see where my thyroid is off the medication if I'm eating properly.

If you feel up to it, I recommend a W90. The sleep cycle thing usually indicates the hormones are out of whack. The template will restablise that, and eating without an hour of waking really speeds it up. Starchy veg, especially at your last meal for the day really helps with sleep too.

Hi all, I'm a 1/4 starter, so I'm on day 4. I've been trying to follow this feed (I'm a total newbie to the forum!) and I'm so grateful for all of the helpful insight. I experienced some fatigue and headaches on days 2 and 3, but that seems to have improved. What I am battling now is mood swings! I know this is the typical Kill ALL the Things stage, but does anyone else feel moody more than irritated?

I get cranky, but you are certainly not alone with the moody, a remember a few people staying at home feeling a bit teary.

Truth be told - I was much more excited about my lunch that I had packed from home :)

[snip]

2. Is anyone else plagued with "can't sleep through the night because I have to get up and pee" issues like me?  Every Whole30 I've done has been like this and I don't get it.  I sleep like the dead, but I can't make it through the night without having to get up at least once.  I even cut-off my fluid intake after 5 - usually keep it less than 8 oz from that point on and then nothing after 8... surely I'm not alone?

This happens to me too, now some of my coworkers want some of my lunch ;)

Yes, I get the up in the night thing too almost every W30, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with fluid intake for me either. I'm guessing it's flushing something out of our systems.

This headache is lasting a bit longer than 1 or 2 days  :(   My poor body is trying to get all those dang toxins out.  I spent 50 minutes on my spin bike tonight.  And tomorrow I see my p/t to get some orthotics - hopefully it will help with the numbness in my foot, and the plantar fasciitis.  I was hoping to ski this weekend, but it looks like our weather is going to climb back up into the 40's and rain.  Boo.  Ah well, more opportunity to cook up some awesome food.  I'm really looking forward to the day when my belly feels normal again.  Been having a kombucha or water kefir once a day. 

And as I've been reading posts, I realized that booksandcoffee and ladyshanny were part of the last W30 I did, the Spring into May (2015)!  Nice to see you again :)

Oh, you might want to skip the exercise if you've still got a headache :(

Are you getting enough starchy veg? Too little can cause headaches too.

Hi all. I am sad and ashamed to say that today is back to day 1 for me :(. Last night I went to a coworkers house and just trusted that I would be fine without eating till I got home at 10pm.. I ended up buying a salad at Panera which had cheese. I am happy to say I didn't eat the cookie or the bread or the lasagna that my friend offered, even though it was tempting to have that "everything is ruined anyways" attitude. So just dairy, and today back to square one.

My biggest lesson is that I think I got a bit cocky after my prior 3 whole30s and I for sure did not prepare as much as I should have for this week. Lesson learned. Back to basics and meal planning for every meal!

Anyways I wanted to come here and fess up and hope you don't mind I stick around this forum! lori_vt and ladyshanny - nice to see you as well!

What's that law again...? oh yeah, Murphy's Law.....remember I said yesterday I was fine and wasn't feeling these emotions most were feeling? Well, woke up and BAM yup moody as all heck..i think I'm a day behind everyone...good thing I'm working from home today as I'm feeling very short tempered...ugh....maybe take a hot shower and lock myself in a room today :)

So Day 5, I mark off each day in my calendar and cant wait to get over that mid-point hump, more checks than empty day boxes!

How is everyone doing today? I am not craving anything and I have to say I'm not feeling hungry, I feel satisfied with the 3 meals a day...

I didn't think I'd even make it this far, I guess I have more will power than I thought?

Anyways, here's to Day 5 - Rock it guys and keep up the great work!!!!!

I'm still feeling pretty good! I must say, however, that I have to have a snack between breakfast and lunch. I get up early and am eating anywhere between 6am-7am, then I usually have lunch around 1,1:30. I've been snacking around 10-10:30am. (usually a hard boiled egg with olive oil and an apple. Or today it's a banana and grapes with a handful of almonds) I know that snacking is ok if you need to, but I also know they recommend sticking to three meals and trying not to snack in between. My meals and snacks follow the template, but I get hungry mid-morning and it feels too early for lunch, especially if I'm not having dinner until almost 6pm!

Ive been doing ok.  Definitely having sugar withdrawals and cravings.  But today i woke up with heartburn and bloating.  So confused since arent we eating foods that are known to NOT cause bloating and tummy troubles.  Also, went to the doctor yesterday where i had to be weighed and I've gained.  Is there a phase "I just want to give up because nothing good is happening"?

Ive been doing ok. Definitely having sugar withdrawals and cravings. But today i woke up with heartburn and bloating. So confused since arent we eating foods that are known to NOT cause bloating and tummy troubles. Also, went to the doctor yesterday where i had to be weighed and I've gained. Is there a phase "I just want to give up because nothing good is happening"?

Just remember, it's only day 5. And there's another phrase "it gets worse before it gets better." Maybe it's just your stomach adapting to the food, and once you get through this rough patch you'll start feeling good again. Don't give up! You got this!

Ive been doing ok.  Definitely having sugar withdrawals and cravings.  But today i woke up with heartburn and bloating.  So confused since arent we eating foods that are known to NOT cause bloating and tummy troubles.  Also, went to the doctor yesterday where i had to be weighed and I've gained.  Is there a phase "I just want to give up because nothing good is happening"?

Ok, take a deep breath. 

A gentle reminder that this is a 30 day program. You're only 5 days in, just over 1/7 of the way there, so not likely to see any significant changes quite yet.  The number increasing on the scale could be due to any variety of things: undigested food, bloat, certain time of the month, etc.  This is why it's a rule not to weigh during the program.

If you have to be weighed again in your doctor's office during your Whole30, ask them not to share the number (weigh yourself facing away from the display).

If you like, post a few days worth of your Whole30 meals in the Troubleshooting section, including portion sizes and daily water consumption. We can see if something stands out that would cause bloating or stomach upset.

I'm still feeling pretty good! I must say, however, that I have to have a snack between breakfast and lunch. I get up early and am eating anywhere between 6am-7am, then I usually have lunch around 1,1:30. I've been snacking around 10-10:30am. (usually a hard boiled egg with olive oil and an apple. Or today it's a banana and grapes with a handful of almonds) I know that snacking is ok if you need to, but I also know they recommend sticking to three meals and trying not to snack in between. My meals and snacks follow the template, but I get hungry mid-morning and it feels too early for lunch, especially if I'm not having dinner until almost 6pm!

Are you eating enough at breakfast? When I need to snack, it's because I didn't get enough fat or have enough food in the meal prior. Having said that, going from potentially 6 am to 1 pm is a long stretch even if you do get the right foods in, so I think a little mini meal would be ok? Glad to hear you're feeling good! 

Anyone else here use essential oils to balance your mood? They work wonders for me. 

Ha ha, I was all complacent with the "well, I don't really feel different" thing.

And then I woke up day five and was certain I am getting a cold. Congestion and sore throat.

Remembered that I went through this one previous 30s - and any time I go sugar-free.

Had a tiny clementine with my breakfast, those symptoms are pretty much gone. Guess I answered the question as to whether it was a cold virus or "carb flu"?

Are you eating enough at breakfast? When I need to snack, it's because I didn't get enough fat or have enough food in the meal prior. Having said that, going from potentially 6 am to 1 pm is a long stretch even if you do get the right foods in, so I think a little mini meal would be ok? Glad to hear you're feeling good!

Anyone else here use essential oils to balance your mood? They work wonders for me.

I think I'm eating enough breakfast. I feel full when I'm done. A typical breakfast (at least this week) consists of two scrambled eggs, potatoes in some form (either sweet or white) and half an avocado. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to make it a whole avocado, at have three eggs instead of two. (Note: I'm a pescatarian so breakfast meats are out)

Over the weekend, or maybe next week, I'm going to make some salmon cakes and try them with portabella mushroom caps, avocado and the hollandaise sauce from the whole30 book, like a salmon eggs Benedict.

I think I'm eating enough breakfast. I feel full when I'm done. A typical breakfast (at least this week) consists of two scrambled eggs, potatoes in some form (either sweet or white) and half an avocado. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to make it a whole avocado, at have three eggs instead of two. (Note: I'm a pescatarian so breakfast meats are out)

That's a good first step.  When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

That's a good first step. When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

EDIT: regarding your two earlier posts about bloating and having almonds for a snacks, respectively, nuts can cause bloat for some. You might try dropping nuts for a few days and see if that helps reduce your bloat.

Wow, thank you. I didn't know that about eggs! I'm sure I can hold at least three. Today is actually the first day I'm eating almonds, but I have been eating walnuts all week (in a vegan bolognese sauce) so maybe that was the culprit. Thanks for the tips!!

That's a good first step.  When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Yep, I was surprised at the difference going from two to three eggs made. 

praxisproject it occurred to me last night that the exercise could go either way - it could end up aggravating the headache, or it might help my digestive tract move things through.  i only pedaled at about 65% of MHR so the intensity was very low.  i do believe it helped rather than hurt, but i realize that's not always the case ;)

got the orthotics fitted by my p/t this morning, and she said not to assume that i won't be able to run again.  i need to let the fascia calm down, since it's not full-blown plantar fasciitis.  i can wait until spring - although winter still doesn't seem to have arrived.  wonder if we'll be able to ski - bought a pass last year and never used it, ended up having back surgery.  this year - :angry:  - so far no snow

i am loving the new foods i cooked!  food boredom is not a good thing in my experience, so finding fairly easy, fairly inexpensive new recipes is CRITICAL!! 

YAY Day 5!  no cravings, no mood swings, no food dreams, just a bloated unhappy stomach and late day headaches.  "this too shall pass..." "don't quit before the magic happens..."

Ya'll, I hesitate to write this because I don't want to discourage anyone else, so please just take this as my individual choice and not something you should do, but... I'm bowing out.  I'll post more in my whole30 log thread, but it's not necessary to share it all here.

Please know I'm cheering you all on and hope that the Whole30 is as wonderful for you as it has been for me in the past.

B.c while we will miss you I totally understand your choice. Sometimes it's tough, but you have to do what is right for you. I read your log and it definitely sounds like whole 30 was just too much for you right now. I applaud you for having the courage to admit that now is just not the right time and that's ok. Hopefully things in your life will calm down soon and we will see you back here in the forums!

is it ok to have coconut water as a little pick me up about 3 hours after a meal?

I bet you could search the forum for a definitive on this, but I believe that I have read that while some coconut waters are technically compliant they are not an ideal choice (unless you are an endurance athlete) due to the large amount of natural sugar. How about a lap around the office (or wherever you work), a mug of hot tea (or bone broth), or even a fresh sprig of mint in your water bottle instead?

Day 6 started with a delicious Rainbow Hash and eggs - question: if my egg is a double-yolker does it count as 2? I suppose it doesn't really matter ;)

Feeling a little better stomach-wise. Rode spin bike for an hour last night and had a good night's sleep.  Eating well.  Although I find that I'm hungry about 3 hours after my meals, but I'm so full when I'm done.  I think it's just my body adapting.  I haven't snacked AT ALL!  If I'm super hungry, I'll have a cup of tea.  But I'm really trying to get back on track and I know it might take awhile.

post-36149-0-85044500-1452353283_thumb.j

5 down..... 25 to go! Much more confident today than on Day 1 - I've never been able to see something like this through to the end so I am hopeful that I will this time. My first "test" was last night. A group of women got together at Chilis for drinks and dinner for our friends birthday! OMG - to sit at that table without drinking a margarita and eating the chips was as close to torture as I want to get. But....... I did it. I knew I would be tempted more if I arrived hungry so I made sure to eat something before I went. It worked. I had water and enjoyed the conversation! I didn't stress over what I was going to eat because I already ate and wasn't hungry! Test 1 down..... Not sure how many more to go, but feel better knowing I've conquered 1. Be blessed, all of you! Good luck.

Hi All,

I also started on 1/4/16.  I must say this has been the least stressful move I have ever had while starting a new "program".  I cook what works for my Whole30 and add rice for the rest of the family not following....yet :)  One of my sons is following with me he is a HS senior and football player who has finished his last season so he is concerned about his health/weight.  It's nice to have someone at home doing it with me while the others are unknowingly eating better lol.

I am also doing this with a coworker and together we are helping each other.

Thankfully I am not suffering the headache and blahs.  I found that I can still have my coffee if I add coconut milk and cinnamon to it.  It makes black coffee with no sugar palatable.  I took two months to read and reread and even get another book and read that, in order to prepare for the change.  I did not empty my house because of other members, but I am adding slowly to my needs (ghee - a lifechanger for sure, compliant mayo- ready made, coconut aminos- cant wait to try).  I had a slight headache day 1 and 2 but that was me adjusting to the change of no milk or sugar.  I did get very tired day 3, but overall I have not been needing to lay down after dinner.  I haven't had "tiger blood"  but I make it through.  My days start very early 5am and end very late 11:30 - 12 each night so I don't think there is enough tiger blood to make me run a marathon after my day :)

I am looking forward to this second week and adding new recipes found online to my dinners and hopefully enough for lunches.  I am glad I found this site and look forward to reading everyone's posts.

Andrea

is it ok to have coconut water as a little pick me up about 3 hours after a meal?

Why are you needing a "pick me up" 3 hours after eating? Are you hungry? If your meal wasn't large enough to satiate you for 4-5 hours, play with your portion sizes until you get there.

The litmus test for hunger is whether you can eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components. Coconut water is not the best choice in this situation because it doesn't meet that criteria.

Further, as Cbg84 stated above, the recommendation on coconut water is to only use it in situations where you work in conditions that significantly dehydrate you, or if you're an athlete and use it to rehydrate after an intense workout. We don't want you using coconut water as a beverage in place of water on a routine basis.

If you need a pick me up because you're tired or bored, do something non-food related. Put on your favorite dance tune and dance, do jumping jacks, walk around the block, call a friend that always cheers you up - whatever.

Today I have been really tired and have had a headache all day. It's not even 6pm and I'm ready for bed, and don't have much of an appetite, but I know I need to make myself have dinner. I think the blahs have finally caught up to me. However, I managed to stay compliant. I was worried about the weekend. I even made pancakes for my boyfriend and his kids this morning, and I didn't taste the batter! We went to my moms for awhile in the late morning and not knowing what she would have to eat (or how long we would be staying) I packed some almonds and a larabar which came in handy because they all ate lunch and I had something to hold me over until we got home and I could finish last nights leftovers. Success!

Hi All,

I also started on 1/4/16.  I must say this has been the least stressful move I have ever had while starting a new "program".  I cook what works for my Whole30 and add rice for the rest of the family not following....yet :)  One of my sons is following with me he is a HS senior and football player who has finished his last season so he is concerned about his health/weight.  It's nice to have someone at home doing it with me while the others are unknowingly eating better lol.

I am also doing this with a coworker and together we are helping each other.

Thankfully I am not suffering the headache and blahs.  I found that I can still have my coffee if I add coconut milk and cinnamon to it.  It makes black coffee with no sugar palatable.  I took two months to read and reread and even get another book and read that, in order to prepare for the change.  I did not empty my house because of other members, but I am adding slowly to my needs (ghee - a lifechanger for sure, compliant mayo- ready made, coconut aminos- cant wait to try).  I had a slight headache day 1 and 2 but that was me adjusting to the change of no milk or sugar.  I did get very tired day 3, but overall I have not been needing to lay down after dinner.  I haven't had "tiger blood"  but I make it through.  My days start very early 5am and end very late 11:30 - 12 each night so I don't think there is enough tiger blood to make me run a marathon after my day :)

My experience has been very similar to yours! I, too, felt very ready (if nervous/scared) by the time I started because I felt that somehow I had really mentally committed to this and, six days in, my commitment has not yet wavered. That's pretty much a miracle for me as I've been the queen of starting and stopping various diets in the past few years, but this time is different for some reason. I also found the transition to coffee with coconut milk surprisingly easy, but am happy that I only seem to want one cup in the morning now because it isn't quite tasty enough to want more in the afternoon. I had headaches/tiredness days 2-3, but now I feel pretty good. Today I went snowshoeing for two hours and I was so excited because I actually wanted to go do it, and totally enjoyed it. An NSV for sure as I've been a slug for ages. I've been so tired for so long that having the desire to go do something was really nice. One thing that I feel has helped me so far is not getting too complicated right off the bat. The first few days I just ate plain meat, veggies, nuts, fruit. No sauces or anything. Now that the food is getting a bit monotonous I can start to explore some more interesting recipes/ ingredients (haven't tried ghee yet!) and that will hopefully keep my interest going for the rest of the 30 days. Initially, I felt that if I created an elaborate menu plan for three gourmet meals a day, I'd just overwhelm myself and give up, and I'm happy I went that route as I now know that the program can be really simple and do-able, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with some fun meals, too. My Whole30 book just came in the mail yesterday! One other NSV: I cooked dinner last night. Our family has had take-out every Friday evening for about... ten years. Last night I made bolognese with spaghetti squash and salad for me, linguine for the kids. They all had ice cream for dessert and I had chia seeds. Lol! 

Archived