Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

A rough way to figure how much *water* you need is one ounce per half pound of body weight. So, if you weigh 160 lbs you need 80 ounces. More isn't bad, but if you drink much less you may struggle. Drinking water also helps you feel less fatigued. 90% of the time I feel run down, I can drink a giant glass of water and feel better within half an hour. As far as coffee, I drink one cup before breakfast, one after and one in the early afternoon. I don't rely on it for the caffeine, so I'm not really hung up on having to drink it to get through. 

I also noticed on my first Whole30 that the first week I was feeling VERY run down, so upped the amount of carbs I was getting and it helped a ton. I have a feeling between making sure you're hydrated and eating enough food that you won't feel *quite* as run down this time (although I realize fatigue at this stage can and does happen). 

Good luck!! 

Thanks, this was very helpfu. I will just make the effort to drink enough fluids and I will up the carb intake during this first week and see if it helps :)

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I started yesterday and the headache started along with me :) it is better today though but I am feeling cranky and had really poor sleep last night. 

breakfast was a forced affair, woke up quite hungry but 2 bites in and I just didn't feel like it anymore.

I underestimated the effects of holiday drama and it all came down yesterday! I stayed on plan, though I just watched Netflix all day. So interesting to see the food ideas that came up!

Today I'm enjoying the revelation of cumin seeds in my red onion vinaigrette. Gives it that smoky umami-ness!!

:) I also asked him this morning if he wanted breakfast and he said no. Then when he came in the kitchen and saw what I had he said "oh, if I knew you were eating scrambled eggs and potatoes and avocado I might have said yes" lol. Neither of us are big on eating first thing in the morning but I realize how important it is and am making it a point to eat before coffee.[/quote

Ahh boyfriends can really be the best sometimes right? (Insert eye roll here.) Everytime I prep hard boiled eggs I ask matt if he will eat any if they are in the fridge. He says no but the minute they are done he eats one or two! I was annoyed the first two times, but nowe I just make a few more no matter what he says. Then a few weeks ago he mentioned that he hadn't had breakfast all week. I asked why and he responded "well you haven't made it for me." (We don't live together but I stay there alot and I guess I just hadn't much that week). I was annoyed because there was plenty of "breakfast" food for him, he is a much better cook than I, and he's a grown a** man who is perfectly capable of feeding himself!! But, he does work around 80 hours a week and I love him so since then I've made sure there is always a breakfast casserole in the fridge. That way all he has to do is cuto off a piece (add cheese if he feels necessary) and pop in the microwave. It makes my mornings easier too!

I deferred starting my whole 30 because I am ill and didn't think it was the best time but now I am regretting that decision. I feel rubbish anyway so I think whole 30 can only help. I received my organic veg box today and a hello fresh box so I have enough veg for the week may as well get going. I am on nights tonight and tomorrow and I have already packed a compliant meal so starting tomorrow.

• Administrators

I deferred starting my whole 30 because I am ill and didn't think it was the best time but now I am regretting that decision. I feel rubbish anyway so I think whole 30 can only help. I received my organic veg box today and a hello fresh box so I have enough veg for the week may as well get going. I am on nights tonight and tomorrow and I have already packed a compliant meal so starting tomorrow.

Good for you, Joy, jump in!

This is my second time around - first time, I lasted about 45 days.  I didn't get the 'carb flu', probably because I am not a big bread/pasta person.  I felt fantastic by a week in, probably because my body was finally getting tons of veggies.  I was finally more alert, no more brain fog, and I was actually popping right out of bed in the mornings, which is unusual for me as I am a night owl and I have to set like 3 alarms in order to get up in the mornings.  But I did mine in August of 2014 - when it was a bit warmer, so we'll see how doing one during the winter changes my ability to want to get up!  :-)  I tend to have low blood pressure, so about 10 days in, I started getting really dizzy.  Someone suggested adding in salt, which I did, and that solved my problem immediately (in case anyone else ends up getting the same thing).  

I know its only day 2, but I have to say I am dreading the eggs every day for breakfast.  I know that theoretically I can eat anything for breakfast, but I was so burned out by eggs - no matter how they were fixed - that halfway through I never wanted to eat another egg ever again. It also made me want to avoid breakfast, as I am not a big breakfast person either.   Going to have to try to push through that and come up with different ideas.

Best wishes on day 2!!

This is my second time around - first time, I lasted about 45 days.  I didn't get the 'carb flu', probably because I am not a big bread/pasta person.  I felt fantastic by a week in, probably because my body was finally getting tons of veggies.  I was finally more alert, no more brain fog, and I was actually popping right out of bed in the mornings, which is unusual for me as I am a night owl and I have to set like 3 alarms in order to get up in the mornings.  But I did mine in August of 2014 - when it was a bit warmer, so we'll see how doing one during the winter changes my ability to want to get up!  :-)  I tend to have low blood pressure, so about 10 days in, I started getting really dizzy.  Someone suggested adding in salt, which I did, and that solved my problem immediately (in case anyone else ends up getting the same thing).  

I know its only day 2, but I have to say I am dreading the eggs every day for breakfast.  I know that theoretically I can eat anything for breakfast, but I was so burned out by eggs - no matter how they were fixed - that halfway through I never wanted to eat another egg ever again. It also made me want to avoid breakfast, as I am not a big breakfast person either.   Going to have to try to push through that and come up with different ideas.

Best wishes on day 2!!

I found some really good compliant sausages at whole foods!  I think trader joes has some too.

Hi there,

I started the 4th too.  I've sort of done the Whole30 before but didn't quite finish. I do remember feeling good. I hope to get that feeling back and to fix some digestive issues (and if I'm lucky, lose some weight too).  Here's to feeling good and good health.  :D

Hi everyone! I started yesterday and the headache started along with me :) it is better today though but I am feeling cranky and had really poor sleep last night. 

breakfast was a forced affair, woke up quite hungry but 2 bites in and I just didn't feel like it anymore.

That's pretty normal Nita.  It is probably your body saying good bye to carbs.  Try to eat breakfast.  You've got to stay on the food plan, because as you switch over from relying on processed carbs to whole food, there has to be something there for your body to go to so it can get off the old habits.

• Administrators

Anyone have any good salad dressing ideas?  I just went to WFM but there was nothing compliant - very surprised.  I ordered some dressing from Tessame but I think it will take a week or so to arrive...?  Thanks!

Google search: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=whole30+salad+dressing

There are some awesome ones!

Anyone have any good salad dressing ideas?  I just went to WFM but there was nothing compliant - very surprised.  I ordered some dressing from Tessame but I think it will take a week or so to arrive...?  Thanks!

I just use olive oi and rice vinegar.  Switched to this last year for my first whole 30 and have stuck with it.  To me its more about the flavor i put into my salads.  Green onions, avo, carrots, etc.

• Administrators

I started 1/4/16 with the idea of curbing the sugar dragon.  So far, so good.  When I had a bit of craving, I grabbed a hard boiled egg and some almonds.  I have also found that I truly enjoy coconut water; it's very refreshing over ice.  Good luck everyone

Good choice on the egg and almonds as a mini-meal/craving buster.  Just watch the coconut water, it's basically just a fruit juice and isn't recommended unless you are doing extreme athletics or are in a very hot environment for a long time.  Be careful that you don't use it when you're craving something sweet, that'll just keep that dragon alive!

Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30.

Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light” fruit juice. If you’re involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don’t let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.c4PQCnfv.dpuf

Hi everyone! I started my first Whole30 yesterday and I'm starting to feel the detox! My stomach is a little crampy and I'm tired but I'm hoping some steak and some veggies will see me back on track.

I'm spending time with a good friend who swears by Whole30 and I'm really excited to learn some new recipes and tricks! I'm doing this with my best friend (and fellow food lover) and I'm so glad to have the support!

I ended up with a nasty headache yesterday afternoon and attributed it to "detoxing" since the past 2 weeks were filled with so much junk.  I ate 3 good, compliant meals with no snacking.  I noticed that the forum doesn't allow the user to edit the entry (unless I just can't find it); I used to edit my post at the end of the day instead of writing a whole new post. 

Today's meals:

Bfast - 2 eggs with stir fried vegetables and half an avocado, 2 cups green tea; one cup of decaf black coffee when I got to work

Lunch - can of tuna in oil, salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, cider vinegar, minced garlic, compliant dijon mustard, a little salt & pepper), wedge of fresh coconut, can of seltzer

Before dinner, a bottle of water kefir (homemade)

Dinner - turkey burger with shredded zucchini, cilantro and garlic topped with an arugula guacamole and twice-fried plantains, small wedge of coconut

I got the dinner meal from an AIP search - technically it is compliant, but I think my plantain was too ripe because it was super sweet and I'm afraid it could be a danger food.  I've had ripe plantains in Pastelon (compliant) and they didn't trigger the same sweetness response.  So I think I will freeze the leftovers to enjoy after my W30.

So far this has been easy and I haven't even done a cook-up yet.  Wednesdays I take care of my 3-year old granddaughter, and I have a few of her foods around, so the hard part will be when she wants to share with me and I need to decline and eat my own food.  Also, I may find it a little harder not to snack with her around. 

This time around I wanted to change my (decaf) coffee consumption.  I usually have 1-2 large cups of decaf with light cream in the morning after I get to work, but I'm going down to just one regular sized cup and then switching over to water.  I don't have a problem getting enough water, but I want to challenge some of my habits.

Once I get some compliant options cooked-up, I'll post some pictures and links to the recipes.  That's been helpful to me in the past.

started yesterday and unfortunately busted it. today.....on accident.  went to a restaurant and ordered pork chop, not cooked with butter.  it came out completely breaded, which was not listed on the menu.  i am feeling so sad, but getting back on track tomorrow.  going out to eat is seriously the hardest.

I've been 'jumped in'... Had my first hangry episode while at Costco. Ugh, it was way too easy to consider just quitting!!!

I realized today that looking at my grocery bill it replaces what I'd spend going out, eating stuff because I didn't pack a lunch, etc. Plus I did buy groceries and cook before, I just didn't use them efficiently. Just a little encouragement for anyone who is nervous about cooking. <3

• Moderators

I've been 'jumped in'... Had my first hangry episode while at Costco. Ugh, it was way too easy to consider just quitting!!!

I realized today that looking at my grocery bill it replaces what I'd spend going out, eating stuff because I didn't pack a lunch, etc. Plus I did buy groceries and cook before, I just didn't use them efficiently. Just a little encouragement for anyone who is nervous about cooking. <3

I can almost PROMISE to people that their grocery bill will be less than the combined total of every latte and muffin a day, lunch out, snack on the way to wherever and meals out! And once you start buying good, whole and healthy food, you have more of a sense of ownership over it as well... not wanting it to go to waste, so using leftovers and bits and bobs to make the groceries go as far as they can go. I really think that its something to do with the relationship with food that we develop doing this program.. the only way I can think to describe it for myself is that I think I respected the food a lot more when I knew it was making me healthier, so I have a VERY hard time wasting...

So many fun things to discover from this program!!!

Archived