Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

Two days done, woo hoo! So far I feel great. I'm sure the hard part will come later, but I ate so badly before that right now I think my body is just thanking me for feeding it regularly and healthfully. Today I noticed that I just felt very calm and even-keel all day, which was a nice surprise. I used to have a horrible habit (see what I did there? That was the old me. Of, like, 48 hours ago) of drinking coffee all day and not eating at all until after work. I'd make lovely breakfasts and packed lunches for my kids but sit and watch them eat, then rush out the door without so much as an apple in my bag! By the end of the day I'd be so fatigued and famished that I'd eat whatever looked like the most calories I could get in the least amount of time, sometimes hitting the drive through or the 7-11 on the way home. Then after that, I'd start cooking a healthy dinner for my family. Argh! It sounds so ridiculous typing it out, but it just seemed to happen. Every day. Anyway, I'm used to three hunger settings: not thinking about hunger, ravenous, or stuffed. Today I noticed I felt these weird new feelings: sort of happily satisfied and then a very slow build that took about five hours to be pleasantly hungry again (like, hungry, but sort of thinking, "how nice that eating time is approaching again!"). These bizarre and unfamiliar feelings are probably just how humans are supposed to feel I guess...

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Two days done, woo hoo! So far I feel great. I'm sure the hard part will come later, but I ate so badly before that right now I think my body is just thanking me for feeding it regularly and healthfully. Today I noticed that I just felt very calm and even-keel all day, which was a nice surprise. I used to have a horrible habit (see what I did there? That was the old me. Of, like, 48 hours ago) of drinking coffee all day and not eating at all until after work. I'd make lovely breakfasts and packed lunches for my kids but sit and watch them eat, then rush out the door without so much as an apple in my bag! By the end of the day I'd be so fatigued and famished that I'd eat whatever looked like the most calories I could get in the least amount of time, sometimes hitting the drive through or the 7-11 on the way home. Then after that, I'd start cooking a healthy dinner for my family. Argh! It sounds so ridiculous typing it out, but it just seemed to happen. Every day. Anyway, I'm used to three hunger settings: not thinking about hunger, ravenous, or stuffed. Today I noticed I felt these weird new feelings: sort of happily satisfied and then a very slow build that took about five hours to be pleasantly hungry again (like, hungry, but sort of thinking, "how nice that eating time is approaching again!"). These bizarre and unfamiliar feelings are probably just how humans are supposed to feel I guess...

I was wondering how you were doing! I like that you're already referring to old habits as 'used to' and my favourite part of this is 'how nice that eating time is approaching again'. I used to do the same as you... starve myself all day and then eat fast food at night... Can't even imagine that now! It's just so nice to feel 'good' isn't it? Keep on girl!

Gooooood morning everyone! Today is Day 3! I know these are the worst days for everyone, so how are you doing? I already feel a little bit tired but I was expecting it and I already planned my life knowing this first week would be rough.

On a positive note, my belly is now back to its "normal". I'll explain: I always had some prominent belly even before having my son, and during my first whole30 I had my flattest belly ever (not flat, not event close, but the best I ever had so far). During the holidays I tried to eat W30 for as many meals that I could, but I got my bloated belly back. And just after 2 days of this second Whole30 I am no longer bloated at all! How amazing is this? I will definitely keep this in mind after February and whenever I think about off roading!

I keep having food dreams! Three nights ago it was about chewing gum, two nights ago it was about eating chocolate icing and last night it was chocolate candy! When will this stop??

Well I guess it depends a lot on what you were eating before your whole30. If this is your first Whole30 it might take around two weeks for the dreams to go away. I remember that I would dream that I have eaten something off-plan and then I would wake up feeling so guilty! This time around I didn't have any dreams about food so far. I hope it gets better soon!

Well I guess it depends a lot on what you were eating before your whole30. If this is your first Whole30 it might take around two weeks for the dreams to go away. I remember that I would dream that I have eaten something off-plan and then I would wake up feeling so guilty! This time around I didn't have any dreams about food so far. I hope it gets better soon!

Thank you! With the holidays I wasn't eating great before starting, and this is my first whole30. I feel guilty in the dream, and then wake up and realize it was just a dream. Maybe I'm just worried that I won't make it a full 30 days. So far I haven't had many cravings but I know they will come and I'll just have to fight them!!

started yesterday and unfortunately busted it. today.....on accident.  went to a restaurant and ordered pork chop, not cooked with butter.  it came out completely breaded, which was not listed on the menu.  i am feeling so sad, but getting back on track tomorrow.  going out to eat is seriously the hardest.

Rats. But good for you for getting back on the bandwagon!!!

Good morning Day 3!  I figured out why I succumbed to poor, no BAD, eating behaviors at the beginning of December - I had back surgery in March and have slowly been able to resume some of my former activities, but every time I start getting my running back on track, I have another setback (IT Band, Plantar Fasciitis, etc).  I saw my osteopath at the beginning of December and he basically said that there is nothing that can be done for my torn hamstring, except going to PRP (which I just can't afford).  So I have permanent numbness in the ball of my foot from the sciatica/stenosis, and the prospects of running again are slim.  There is no other exercise that can replace running to me, so I'm going to have to find something new.  In the meantime, I think I sort of gave up - threw in the towel, maybe I was trying to avoid becoming depressed about it so I ate.  And ate.  And ate.  And now - I feel disgusting.  And nothing is solved.  So I knew I needed a W30 and January is a perfect time to reset.  I haven't had any difficulty adapting to it, but I have done it a few times so switching over is pretty easy.  I eat very close to W30 most of the time, so I don't crave foods at all.  Sometimes I miss things (beer), and I don't go out, so I don't have to worry about restaurant food.  I don't (usually) keep any junk in my house because it's too easy for me to do the ole "mindless eating." 

I've pulled out a bunch of old favorite recipes and some new ones, and have done some shopping, so now I just need some time to cook-up.  I'm making Sweet Potato Sloppy Joes (from Paleonewbie, modified so it's compliant); Well Fed's Waldorf Tuna Salad; Ground Beef and Butternut Squash Breakfast Skillet (from the Healthy Foodie).  I still need to get a few groceries to round out my other recipes (Well Fed's Pad Thai; Char Sui; Green Velvet Soup; Rhubarb and liver with chard and horseradish cream, modified to be compliant; and pomegranate pork loin with cabbage).  That just my first 10 - 14 days.  I've got some awesome breakfast recipes to prepare too.

Hope everyone has a SUCCESSFUL and COMPLIANT day 3!

Thank you! With the holidays I wasn't eating great before starting, and this is my first whole30. I feel guilty in the dream, and then wake up and realize it was just a dream. Maybe I'm just worried that I won't make it a full 30 days. So far I haven't had many cravings but I know they will come and I'll just have to fight them!!

I always worried during my first whole30 that I might not finish it. You will make it a full 30 days, just hang on! It gets easier after the first 10 days :)

There is no other exercise that can replace running to me, so I'm going to have to find something new.  In the meantime, I think I sort of gave up - threw in the towel, maybe I was trying to avoid becoming depressed about it so I ate.  And ate.  And ate.  And now - I feel disgusting.  And nothing is solved.  So I knew I needed a W30 and January is a perfect time to reset.  I haven't had any difficulty adapting to it, but I have done it a few times so switching over is pretty easy.  I eat very close to W30 most of the time, so I don't crave foods at all.  Sometimes I miss things (beer), and I don't go out, so I don't have to worry about restaurant food.  I don't (usually) keep any junk in my house because it's too easy for me to do the ole "mindless eating." 

I'm a runner too and know all about the setbacks. I hope you get strong and well enough to run again soon.  I have a bad habit- when my workouts get lax so does my eating. I think things wouldn't get out of control if I did at least one or the other, but I seriously derail myself too often.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I'm a bit crabby, but my kids were a handful this morning so it may not be related to my eating plan. I take a pottery class after work on Wednesdays so am having to eat all three of my meals here today (prepping them while trying to get ready this morning is probably why my kids were a handful and I'm crabby). I have to say that's the hardest part of Whole30 to me, the constant meal prep. At one point in each of my previous whole 30s I've had days where I nearly gave up I was so sick of having to prepare meals. Funny thing is I LOVE to cook and we hardly ever go out. But, with each whole30 I discover new recipes and ways to alleviate the stress of meal prep, so hopefully this time I won't want to quit as badly.

Hi everyone!

I started Jan 4th too, it's my second Whole 30. So far I'm doing well and I've been symptom free. However, I've got a struggle that I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for? I've had a really big meeting today that I've been building up to for months and it went well, usually I'd celebrate with a small glass of wine or a bar of fancy chocolate but since food and alcohol aren't options, does anyone have any ideas about Whole 30 compliant ways to celebrate?

• Administrators

Bubble bath with candles, mani/pedi (at home or delayed gratification at a salon), new book, new tea, at home spa treatment (face mask, deep condition hair), new travel mug, watching a favourite movie (comandeer the TV if you have to).

Celebrate YOU and your accomplishment, not your stomach. Your stomach had nothing to do with it.  :)

Hi everyone!

I started Jan 4th too, it's my second Whole 30. So far I'm doing well and I've been symptom free. However, I've got a struggle that I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for? I've had a really big meeting today that I've been building up to for months and it went well, usually I'd celebrate with a small glass of wine or a bar of fancy chocolate but since food and alcohol aren't options, does anyone have any ideas about Whole 30 compliant ways to celebrate?

Banana, a little coconut milk, walnuts or cashews (roasted no salt) and some compliant shredded coconut...bon appetite!

Hi everyone!

Sometimes I'll put kombucha in a wine glass when my husband has a cocktail.. it makes me feel fancy or something.  :lol:

Banana, a little coconut milk, walnuts or cashews (roasted no salt) and some compliant shredded coconut...bon appetite!

While technically compliant, this mixture borders on being a dessert of fruit and fat. As such, it isn't the best choice on a Whole30.

Remember: part of a Whole30's purpose is to change your relationship with food. Instead of using food to celebrate an accomplishment, experiment with non-food ways to reward yourself, as ladyshanny summarized above.

While technically compliant, this mixture borders on being a dessert of fruit and fat. As such, it isn't the best choice on a Whole30.

Remember: part of a Whole30's purpose is to change your relationship with food. Instead of using food to celebrate an accomplishment, experiment with non-food ways to reward yourself, as ladyshanny summarized above.

agreed! Ladyshanny thinks outside the box, love it ;)

Today is also my Day3. I am following the Whole 9 challenge thread, but thought I'd drop in here...

This is my second Whole 30, and I am excited to be back on it.

For me, headaches are also helped by water, water water. Cravings by adding compliant fats generously. Anxiety and depression by increasing starchy veg, such as potatoes, beets and carrots. Energy by following the meal template carefully and being generous with foods that provide B-12 (mostly meats).

During my first Whole 30, I cooked several times for people who weren't on the eating plan, and they loved the food--and didn't ever guess it was compliant...the foods on this plan are really simply real, whole foods; it's pretty easy to make meals that are appealing to everyone. If the non-Whole thirtiers want sweets, grains, etc, they can easily (too easily) get them at school, work or even just out and about.

I don't want to sound hardcore, but I do expect support from family members, even if they choose differently. For me, this change is truly needed for my well-being.

So, cranky day 3 for me --or does this eating plan encourage real talk and empowerment? LOL, perhaps both! Anyway, happy to be here and traveling this journey with all of you.

There was a POWER OUTAGE at my house this morning! If I hadn't had leftovers in the fridge I would have been in a sorry state. Now I have to brave the cafe for a cup of coffee or risk turning into a monster, but it will be so much easier now that I'm full of my own homemade (cold) breakfast!

Anyone have any good salad dressing ideas?  I just went to WFM but there was nothing compliant - very surprised.  I ordered some dressing from Tessame but I think it will take a week or so to arrive...?  Thanks!

Did Whole Foods not have the Tessemae's?  Ours has a few - in the refrigerated section by the vegan mayo and the packaged salads and such.

I love to just use a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper (optional), and a bit of fresh lemon juice - so good!  I've even just used the olive oil, salt & pepper in a pinch since it's easy for me to keep the oil on hand in my desk at work.

That's pretty normal Nita.  It is probably your body saying good bye to carbs.  Try to eat breakfast.  You've got to stay on the food plan, because as you switch over from relying on processed carbs to whole food, there has to be something there for your body to go to so it can get off the old habits.

Thanks, had a much better time of it today. tried boiled eggs, sweet potato and some grapes and tomatoes and really enjoyed it. (strange combination, i know :)) feeling quite a bit less cranky too (thank you sweet potato I am sure  :))

Today is also my Day3. I am following the Whole 9 challenge thread, but thought I'd drop in here...

This is my second Whole 30, and I am excited to be back on it.

For me, headaches are also helped by water, water water. Cravings by adding compliant fats generously. Anxiety and depression by increasing starchy veg, such as potatoes, beets and carrots. Energy by following the meal template carefully and being generous with foods that provide B-12 (mostly meats).

During my first Whole 30, I cooked several times for people who weren't on the eating plan, and they loved the food--and didn't ever guess it was compliant...the foods on this plan are really simply real, whole foods; it's pretty easy to make meals that are appealing to everyone. If the non-Whole thirtiers want sweets, grains, etc, they can easily (too easily) get them at school, work or even just out and about.

I don't want to sound hardcore, but I do expect support from family members, even if they choose differently. For me, this change is truly needed for my well-being.

So, cranky day 3 for me --or does this eating plan encourage real talk and empowerment? LOL, perhaps both! Anyway, happy to be here and traveling this journey with all of you.

Thanks for the tips :)) the plan definitely does encourage real talk, lol.

My husband has not joined me on this (probably thinks I am crazy) but he understands since it is for health reasons. He is really enjoying the meals though! every single one he has had he remarked that he could really live with this kind of eating plan :)) score for me since we can share the meals and that means much less meal prep for me. I also plan on switching to Paleo afterwards so this kind of eating will be long term.

The next family dinner will be interesting though, I come from a terribly unfit, unhealthy family that has no concern regarding the effects of anything they consume :D . Donuts for breakfast is a staple! And from a partly portuguese background, mealtime is a big social affair that goes on for hours and includes a lot of wine :) I am sure they will be horrified to see what they are eating, and even more so when they see there is no wine. what! no Wine!?.

Archived