Starting 1/4/16

TanaRed

This is a great thread!  Reminds me of some of the challenges of my earlier W30's.  I don't think I ever had food dreams, but I was completely ready for everything (I printed out the Timeline).  I have used the Whole30 to challenge and change my relationship with food.  I no longer use food to reward myself which has been so freeing in a way I could never have predicted.  And it's incredibly satisfying to make some compliant meals and share them with my family when they have no interest in changing their eating behaviors - they are usually super impressed with the food and I have also gotten the comment "I could eat like this."  Most of my family has no interest in planning and cooking to eat this way though.  It does take a commitment. 

Today was an okay day - I brought my granddaughter out to the backyard to try her skis on snow for the first time!  It was fun - she kept saying she was so excited :lol:  I'm still getting a late day headache, but the intensity is decreasing.  I was able to cook up a couple of things today so it makes meal planning much easier.  My stomach is still very unhappy - it seems like more than just being bloated.  There was a day over the holidays that I ate a bunch of the sweet treat gifts people gave me and I had the sensation that my belly "popped."  It sort of blew outwards, almost like being pregnant.  It hasn't recovered (yet) and still feels miserable.  I'm hoping it will resolve as I continue eating compliant.  Before I had this fall-out into gluttony, I had modified my diet to eliminate nightshades to see if it would improve the arthritis in my hands, and it made a difference I think.  I've slowly re-introduced a few things (tomatoes, peppers, spices) and things seem to be stable, but now that I made a couple of meals, I wonder if I'll see a return of symptoms.  I had already added all the ingredients before I realized that I wasn't adding them discreetly so I won't know which one bothers me.  <sigh> :unsure:

Bfast: homemade sausage patty, sauteed kale, fried egg

Lunch: leftover Thai coconut shrimp soup, 1/2 sauteed chicken breast with a spoonful of homemade mayo

Dinner: sweet potato sloppy joes, steamed turnip greens

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Whole Foods not have the Tessemae's? Ours has a few - in the refrigerated section by the vegan mayo and the packaged salads and such.

I love to just use a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper (optional), and a bit of fresh lemon juice - so good! I've even just used the olive oil, salt & pepper in a pinch since it's easy for me to keep the oil on hand in my desk at work.

I also love using just a little olive oil for salads. This sounds boring but a fresh spinach salad with just spinach, olive oil and cracked black pepper from a grinder is one of my favorite sides for lunch. Simple yet satisfying.

Hi Everyone,

I'm late to the Jan 4 party but starting W30 #3 tomorrow.  Felt so amazing following my last one in September but holiday indulgences brought my sugar back to l big time!  Need a reset and this program just works for me. No reason to begin mid week other than I had a bug Sun and Mon and wanted to be in food prep / cooking condition to begin.  Boiled eggs, baked chicken breasts, made mayo and stocked up on Coconut Aminos.  I'm ready.  Looking forward to feeling good again soon.   

The Hello Cravings video is hilarious!  Thanks for sharing Leeleego. Humor definitely helps!

More soon, 

kellygirl

Anyway, I'm used to three hunger settings: not thinking about hunger, ravenous, or stuffed. Today I noticed I felt these weird new feelings: sort of happily satisfied and then a very slow build that took about five hours to be pleasantly hungry again (like, hungry, but sort of thinking, "how nice that eating time is approaching again!"). These bizarre and unfamiliar feelings are probably just how humans are supposed to feel I guess...

This is exactly how I felt my first Whole30 too, imagine, not being hungry ALL THE TIME! lol

And just after 2 days of this second Whole30 I am no longer bloated at all! How amazing is this? I will definitely keep this in mind after February and whenever I think about off roading!

When you do your reintroductions, you might want to keep an eye out for belly busting moments, that will probably tell you the thing your body really doesn't like :)

i was feeling sort of bloated yesterday. i know this is normal during the first week. I keep having food dreams! Three nights ago it was about chewing gum, two nights ago it was about eating chocolate icing and last night it was chocolate candy! When will this stop??

The food dreams do stop :) There's nothing wrong with you I promise. I had one where I ate wood, so they are totally bizarre! :lol:

Thank you! With the holidays I wasn't eating great before starting, and this is my first whole30. I feel guilty in the dream, and then wake up and realize it was just a dream. Maybe I'm just worried that I won't make it a full 30 days. So far I haven't had many cravings but I know they will come and I'll just have to fight them!!

I actually haven't had any this Whole30 yet and I'm wondering if they wear off after enough times around the track (maybe I'm sure I can do it now?), or if they just haven't hit me yet ;)

every time I start getting my running back on track, I have another setback (IT Band, Plantar Fasciitis, etc).  I saw my osteopath at the beginning of December and he basically said that there is nothing that can be done for my torn hamstring, except going to PRP (which I just can't afford).  So I have permanent numbness in the ball of my foot from the sciatica/stenosis, and the prospects of running again are slim.  There is no other exercise that can replace running to me, so I'm going to have to find something new. 

It's certainly not the same as running, but you could try lifting heavy things (give your feet/legs a rest). I used to run when I was young, but had a number of serious knee injuries and doc said no more running if you want to keep walking :blink: I tried cycling (stationary) for awhile, but lifting (I have a TotalGym) has become the thing I love most (besides walking).

I have to say that's the hardest part of Whole30 to me, the constant meal prep. At one point in each of my previous whole 30s I've had days where I nearly gave up I was so sick of having to prepare meals. Funny thing is I LOVE to cook and we hardly ever go out. But, with each whole30 I discover new recipes and ways to alleviate the stress of meal prep, so hopefully this time I won't want to quit as badly.

I recommend trying to plan so you get at least one day a week "off" with no cooking and no prep. It takes awhile to get to that point (working out batch/bulk cooking that works for you and your kitchen), but I like to have it on Wednesday, as a little rest between Prep Weekends :)

Energy by following the meal template carefully and being generous with foods that provide B-12 (mostly meats).

I have to keep my B12 levels up as I don't process it very well (MTHFR). I really like shellfish if I'm feeling a bit out of whack. 

Day 3 almost over! I have not experienced many of the "hangover" symptoms, however I started to feel pretty cranky this afternoon and my stomach is irritated. I realize this is probably just my body (and mind) adjusting, but is anyone else going through the same thing?

Cranky may be part of Kill All The Things. It's totally normal and some people find relief from extra starchy veg like sweet potato.

Day 3. Not very fun. Headache all day, stuck to my goals but the food did not seem very enjoyable and then I was so sooooo tired this evening. This seemed fitting:

OMG :lol:  :lol: :lol: thanks for such a great laugh Leeleego! :D  

Day 4 guys!!!!!!! 

Headache is back, I feel like my system is craving sugar and having dreams about eating things I shouldn't be....other than that I feel like I've lost a little of the "Holiday Bloat".

I don't feel angry and don't want to "kill all things" so I'm not sure if that's normal, should I be feeling those things on the W30 timeline? should I be concerned I'm not?

My husband, who is doing this with me, made the mistake of weighing himself this morning, was a little concerned of his weight not budging. I told him NOT to weigh himself from now on and I hid the scale :) I also explained to him this was a time to get healthy, eat healthy, live longer and happier...our bodies will catch up, give it time. To me, I noticed his stomach a little less puffier (trying to put in nice terms lol) and made sure to mention that to him, I think that helped in his discouragement.

So here we go, still on the Whole30 Ride, lets enjoy it and although its "only" day 4, let us be proud of ourselves for making it this far, we can do this for another 26 days and beyond, right?  its exciting...

Happy Whole30, here's to Day 5...Bring it on...

Day 4 and I think when I was on the treadmill at the gym this morning, someone was sitting on my shoulders. I think I underestimated how tiring the first week would be when it's also my first week back to working out and the first week back after a long holiday break.  :wacko:

is it normal to not feel any differently than I did prior to Whole30? I mean I've had a headache off and on for the entire time, but other than that I don't feel any differently.....I mean, I'm sure my coworkers are thankful I'm not moody lol but why don't I feel like the rest of the bunch? I'm not tired, I don't feel moody or depressed or angry...just feel "normal"...anyone else not feeling any changes?

I started on 1/4 - have two successful 30's behind me, but never got reintroduction right.

I'm hoping to heal my gut issues - I'm nauseated at night and get uncomfortably full very quickly but am ravenous again in an hour. Day four here, and I already feel some improvement.

I also am stuck in the exhaustion/insomnia cycle. I have a history of depression (currently treated with medication and therapy), and hypothyroidism. I was taking Armour thyroid for years, but stopped about six months ago because I felt like it was increasing my anxiety. My best memory of my last 30 (last winter) was that I slept better and had great energy - the nature of my depression changes too when I'm not chronically sleep-deprived. I'm more readily able to pinpoint depression, as opposed to malaise caused by exhaustion.

Big big goals this time: trying to decide whether to do a legit totally compliant whole90 - or whether I will begin reintroduction verrrrrry slowly (like, one at a time with a week full-30 in between) over that period. Whichever way it goes, I have found that 30 days was definitely not long enough to change my disordered relationship with food.

I'm hoping to get a pat on the head from my endocrinologist in six months for better cholesterol and glucose numbers, and see where my thyroid is off the medication if I'm eating properly.

is it normal to not feel any differently than I did prior to Whole30? I mean I've had a headache off and on for the entire time, but other than that I don't feel any differently.....I mean, I'm sure my coworkers are thankful I'm not moody lol but why don't I feel like the rest of the bunch? I'm not tired, I don't feel moody or depressed or angry...just feel "normal"...anyone else not feeling any changes?

I'm so glad you said this! I haven't really experienced any of the symptoms that the book describes (aside from food dreams every night. But last night I dreamt I was at a baby shower and having a hard time finding things to eat, so at least I didn't dream about eating junk food again!)

I had a very slight achiness on day 2, and have had a little bit of fatigue here and there. Yesterday I was cranky for maybe two hours. None of this is really out of the ordinary for me and none of it has been as severe as I thought it would be, or lasted as long as I expected. It almost makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong!

I'm so glad you said this! I haven't really experienced any of the symptoms that the book describes (aside from food dreams every night. But last night I dreamt I was at a baby shower and having a hard time finding things to eat, so at least I didn't dream about eating junk food again!)

I had a very slight achiness on day 2, and have had a little bit of fatigue here and there. Yesterday I was cranky for maybe two hours. None of this is really out of the ordinary for me and none of it has been as severe as I thought it would be, or lasted as long as I expected. It almost makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong!

YEAH!!! exactly....I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm like waiting for this explosion of emotions/feelings (mental and physical) but I got nothing (not yet anyways)!

I wasn't a huge sugar junkie to being with, maybe that's why? I didn't eat clean like this but not didn't eat too badly either prior to W30....you?

YEAH!!! exactly....I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm like waiting for this explosion of emotions/feelings (mental and physical) but I got nothing (not yet anyways)!

I wasn't a huge sugar junkie to being with, maybe that's why? I didn't eat clean like this but not didn't eat too badly either prior to W30....you?

Same. I love junk food but I don't keep much of it around my house because, well, I'll eat it! I did eat a lot of things with added sugar (condiments, granola bars, etc) but I wasn't living on processed food, I only drink soda occasionally and I drink my coffee black anyway. I'm wondering if I'm having some type of delayed reaction, but really I hope I just don't experience the symptoms. (I have had a little bit of bloating also but again, sometimes that happens anyway.) I guess it's just different for everyone.

Hi all, I'm a 1/4 starter, so I'm on day 4. I've been trying to follow this feed (I'm a total newbie to the forum!) and I'm so grateful for all of the helpful insight. I experienced some fatigue and headaches on days 2 and 3, but that seems to have improved. What I am battling now is mood swings! I know this is the typical Kill ALL the Things stage, but does anyone else feel moody more than irritated?

Thanks so much!

Same. I love junk food but I don't keep much of it around my house because, well, I'll eat it! I did eat a lot of things with added sugar (condiments, granola bars, etc) but I wasn't living on processed food, I only drink soda occasionally and I drink my coffee black anyway. I'm wondering if I'm having some type of delayed reaction, but really I hope I just don't experience the symptoms. (I have had a little bit of bloating also but again, sometimes that happens anyway.) I guess it's just different for everyone.

Maybe a Whole30 Moderator will let us know we are fine :) or not...

Hi Everyone, 

I also started on January 4th, and it's my 2nd Whole30. Similar to others on this forum, I had a successful 30 days and stumbled with the re-introduction. One month later, I'm moving houses and changing jobs - aka. dining out A LOT and resorting to old habits.

My first few days are going mostly well. Headaches for sure, but manageable. We did have a surprise visit from a family member for dinner, and I was nervous about how it would go. Not only did our guest love Melissa’s Chicken Hash, but after looking through the book said he would go buy it! We also managed to sit back and drink water while he drank wine J

This time around I’m trying not to make Whole30 a “thing” where I explain it to everyone in some attempt to rationalize my choices. Instead I want to make it a lifestyle change were I choose high quality whole foods and feel better because of it. No rationalizing required. 

And, a successful re-introduction!

Hello there!  Several of you were talking about not feeling especially different or not having the typical 'timeline' stuff.  I can only speak from the experience of having 1 whole 30 under my belt, but I never really felt terrible.  Never had the carb flu or wanted to kill everything.  I didn't get tired until my second week in - that lasted a day or two.  In fact, I did feel more bloated (due to increase in veggies/fiber) and pants did feel tighter for a while.  Thats part of the reason they say to stay off of the scale.  In the beginning, you will not see a weight change, or you may even feel more bloated.  You have to wait for the healing to happen, and it will, but by the end of my second week, into my third, I FINALLY had energy (always have been anemic) and could wake up early and I slept like a log, which is unusual for me.  But give it time and don't get too worried!!  Remember, its a process to get your body/gut healthy again.

On another note, I had my first food dream last night.  Never had one on my last round, so it was a bit surprising.  But man, those tortilla chips and chocolate cake were soooooo good!  I woke up thinking I would have to start over to day 1 when I realized it was just a dream - whew!!

Oh, and also, there is a cool app called YouFood.  Its kind of like a food diary, but you take pictures.  Its fun to see your meals and to look back over time (also good if you ever need to see a doc and share your nutrition).  But you can find lots of other people on there - there are plenty of whole 30 and pale ppl out there.  ITs great for motivation and inspiration when you get bored with the cooking.  

Now I'm off to eat - chocolate chili over a bed of cauliflower rice  :)

• Administrators

Maybe a Whole30 Moderator will let us know we are fine :) or not...

Ya, having no symptoms is definitely more uncommon but it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, necessarily.  The timeline and the estimation of symptoms is sort of a "common denominator" thing. 

If you're worried that you might not be on track, you can post a couple days worth of what you've been eating. Include portions and meal timing, fluids, stress, sleep, exercise and anything else that might be relevant (autoimmune conditions, pregnant/nursing, bowel conditions etc).  We can take a peek and see if there is any directed feedback or tweaks for you.

Our entire department went out for Chinese food and I'm eating lettuce wraps at my desk... and somehow I'm really not that bummed out.  :rolleyes:

Our department heads had a lunch meeting and brought all of the leftovers down for the rest of us - wraps, salad (that is delicious and I normally would go for, but it's covered in goat cheese), homemade tortilla chips with this amazing pepperjack queso, and a dessert tray full of bon-bons... and my coworkers commented on my "willpower" for not eating any of it.  (Is this willpower?  I don't think it is... IDK. If I was going on willpower alone I think I'd be done by now!)

Truth be told - I was much more excited about my lunch that I had packed from home :)

I have 2 questions for the group:

1. Have you wanted to "kill all the things" today?  Been cranky with anyone?  Spill.

2. Is anyone else plagued with "can't sleep through the night because I have to get up and pee" issues like me?  Every Whole30 I've done has been like this and I don't get it.  I sleep like the dead, but I can't make it through the night without having to get up at least once.  I even cut-off my fluid intake after 5 - usually keep it less than 8 oz from that point on and then nothing after 8... surely I'm not alone?

Hello there!  Several of you were talking about not feeling especially different or not having the typical 'timeline' stuff.  I can only speak from the experience of having 1 whole 30 under my belt, but I never really felt terrible.  Never had the carb flu or wanted to kill everything.  I didn't get tired until my second week in - that lasted a day or two.  In fact, I did feel more bloated (due to increase in veggies/fiber) and pants did feel tighter for a while.  Thats part of the reason they say to stay off of the scale.  In the beginning, you will not see a weight change, or you may even feel more bloated.  You have to wait for the healing to happen, and it will, but by the end of my second week, into my third, I FINALLY had energy (always have been anemic) and could wake up early and I slept like a log, which is unusual for me.  But give it time and don't get too worried!!  Remember, its a process to get your body/gut healthy again.

On another note, I had my first food dream last night.  Never had one on my last round, so it was a bit surprising.  But man, those tortilla chips and chocolate cake were soooooo good!  I woke up thinking I would have to start over to day 1 when I realized it was just a dream - whew!!

Thank you Twilight for following up on this, I am glad we aren't the only ones not feeling anything that the timeline mentions to great extent.  WHEW!!!

Thanks for the app suggestion Twilight! I'm sure I'll be spending some time checking that out this evening. I just popped in to let everyone know that my WF has tessamaes dressings on sale 2 for $5 through the 12th. Pretty cheap if anyone is interested in checking them out. I hope the sales are the same at your WF

So, day 4 and yes, woke up with a little headache, and experiencing some fatigue (but that is normal for me).

I do love some chocolate in my chili, and, let me also recommend some good strong coffee can add a similar richness. I usually use generous tsp of cinnamon when I use the coffee. I like butternut squash and spinach for the veggies (along with peppers, onions and garlic, of course).

Hot wings are in the oven now...love my Louisiana hot sauce and ghee.

Day five tomorrow; let's keep it interesting!

Archived