Hot Yoga/Barre and Jogging

vegbelly

Just wondering if anyone on here does any of these activities? I am on day 18, I accidentally had some cranberries and potatoes with butter and sugar in them on day four but didn't know. I decided to just continue. I have been doing about 5 hot yoga classes a week and 3 barre classes with 1-2 jogs per week. I have had a hard time figuring out how to fuel these workouts with meals so I am just trying to focus on meals. 

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

I went through a phase where I did hot yoga as much as four 90-minute sessions per week, plus three Iyengar classes. I hid the hot yoga work from my Iyengar teacher! I did not eat a pre- or post-workout meal and consulted with Melissa Hartwig about the pressure I was getting from the hot yoga instructor to consume an electrolyte drink after each class. Melissa said I would not need extra electrolytes because of how I ate ( :) ), but I had been eating Whole30-style for a while by then. I have not done much jogging since adopting a Whole30-style approach, but don't do pre- or post-workout meals with jogging for 30-60 minutes either. 

• Moderators

I think your answer will come from your experience. How hard are you working in the yoga and barre classes? Are you hungry outside meals? How do your muscles feel? 

I'm a barre enthusiast, and I work to fatigue in those classes (3-4 per week). I also lift heavy 2-3 times per week, which makes my muscles more fatigued in barre class. I generally don't fuel pre-workout, but I do have some lean protein post workout when I feel my muscles need it.

As for yoga, well, I'm pretty much against hot yoga except for those among us who are extremely sedentary and need to fuel their internal fires. For the vast majority of us, it's a fast track to adrenal blowout, can lead to injury, and yet is sneakily addictive in the ways that terrible things for us can be addictive. But if you must do it, just make sure to drink plenty of water. 

• 3 weeks later...

During my first whole30 I was training for a marathon as well as doing Hot Pilates ~3/week. For me it depends on when I do my workouts in relation to my eating schedule. I usually run/workout at lunch, so for me it has been 4-5 hours since I last ate breakfast when I start my workout. When that's the case I usually grab a hard boiled egg or two an hour or so before my workout then I eat lunch immediately after so I have no need for post workout meals. I do make my lunch larger on days I workout harder though and always eat until I feel satisfied. 

For during the workout fuel - I guess you don't need anything but I always added a little bit of coconut water into my water and found far less headaches and leg cramps when I did that. 

Archived