a SWYPO treat on Christmas? (Or a single other holiday)

Alisonlcarver

I am having dinner with my family and will be eating Whole 30 for dinner, but am thinking of having some kind of treat afterwards. Can I make a SWYPO Paleo dessert, or should I just bring a banana with pecan/cashew butter instead (that's my favorite Whole 30-allowed treat, so I could use that as my dessert when others are eating pie)?

For me a SWYPO Paleo dessert would be going against the grain of what Whole30 is about - even if it's only for one day. That said I'm old school and a stickler for rules (not that anyone probably noticed  ;) ), and there was a sweet potato/apple custardy recipe <twitch> posted for Thanksgiving in the newsletter recently and it was deemed ok - personally I'd have ruled it definitely not ok, but I'm not in charge.

Sooooooo, my advice in this instance would be that if you're struggling IN ANY WAY with your sugar dragon then stick to what you know works - ie. the banana & nut butter.

I guess it depends on how 'SEXY' (without meaning to offend anyone) the recipe is - maybe if you share the recipe we can give a more informed opinion.

Alison.  I made it in here by the skin of my teeth through jmcbn's profile.  

Your  Christmas treat.  I don't care for bananas or nut butters so I make no judgment there.  If that's what you want, you get to choose.  This is not your first Whole 30,  so it's entirely up to you.  Those are compliant items but if you're doing a new Whole 30, will you find yourself longing for a piece of pie after you have that treat?  I don't know.  It might be satisfying for you.

I know that homemade dinner rolls or even those 'rhodes' rolls are a cotton-candy gateway to a blood sugar flop for me.  Eating one roll stirs up those sugar blasts from Christmas past.  Eating one would not be enough and my blood sugar monster would want a dozen.

If I started in on dinner rolls,  I would leave a trail of bread crumbs behind me a mile long.  Would a banana/nut butter combo prevent me from wanting dinner rolls?  No. 

So I won't touch the rolls, the blood sugar crash is not worth it to me.  I'll load up on roasted turkey and prime rib.  Roasted vege and homemade sugarless cranberry sauce.  Fancy olives and pickled asparagus. When others are eating pecan pie,  I'll think about all of that corn syrup and the white dusty flour crust.  I'll remember what it used to feel like sleeping it all off  like a bear in hibernation.

I'll jump up and do the dishes and serve others their pie.  I might grab a few more olives and drink some tea. I'll distract myself.  

I tell my brain what I want.  It's so easy.  I set it like a device.  I don't need to count or measure anything. Brain,  I want peace with my pancreas.   Every thought and memory  of every action is already in there of your  past.

Tell your brain what you want.  You can say it outloud.  It will fetch it like a dog after a bone.  Squirrels can remember where they've hidden all of their nuts for the winter.  Our brain can remember how great our body feels when we honor our hunger with super foods.  

Brain, this is what I want today.   It's Christmas.   I want peace on earth and internal peace with my body.

Very good.  You know your boundaries and where the fence line is.   My fence line....the Chinook winds have been blowing  50 mph for days now.   Everyone's homemade and rhodes rolls have blown in and are stacked up against my barbed wire.  I'm using them for a windblock.  When they freeze I'll use them for hockey pucks or skeet practice.   Merry Christmas, Alison Carver.

• Moderators

Apple Ginger Fizz drink?--scroll to bottom of post

https://paleomagonline.com/paleo-christmas-menu-2015/

Have you seen these whole30 approved mocktails? http://whole9life.com/2013/04/mocktails/

You'll notice they have much less fruit juice than the one you linked, which would make them a better choice.

That said, the stuff about avoiding fruit juice is a recommendation, not a rule, so really, it's your call -- but keep in mind that sometimes, having something that tastes sweet can cause cravings for more sweets.

Thanks Shannon! My family usually has mimosas on Christmas, and while I don't drink alcohol anyway I thought something fruity and bubbly might be a fun way to participate in their ritual. I might do something super duper easy, like pelegrino with a splash of orange juice in a champagne flute.

But the 'la paloma' does look pretty tasty! I love grapefruit!

Thanks Shannon! My family usually has mimosas on Christmas, and while I don't drink alcohol anyway I thought something fruity and bubbly might be a fun way to participate in their ritual. I might do something super duper easy, like pelegrino with a splash of orange juice in a champagne flute.

But the 'la paloma' does look pretty tasty! I love grapefruit!

I really enjoyed having a "mock" mimosa of Perrier with Lemon, mixed with orange juice.  Yes, fruit heavy, but alcohol free!

Archived