Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LegoMyMego

2016 New Year Newbie

I just finished reading the Whole 30 after purchasing it in October...loved it so much that I just purchased and received It Starts with Food. I am looking to start my first W30 around Jan 2, 2016....but interested to see what dates others are starting to maximize support.

I am thoroughly committed and excited about it, but would be lying if I said I didn't have some concerns:

1) lots of cooking throughout the week could make me more prone to eat out

2) trying to change my mentality from that of obsessed with losing weight to one of fixing my health

3) temptation to cheat at work or during a special training event

4) actually taking the time/effort for reaching out to the support offered through this forum when I really need it

* just to name a few off the top of my head

A little background on myself...I was raised in the south where we fry or bread everything! And don't you dare think about not cleaning your plate...especially if you want dessert or a "snack" afterwards. All of my immediate family struggles with weight and crappy food choices. While, I am the thinnest of us all, that in no way means I'm healthy or at my ideal body weight/composition, but I do meet the standards set by my job (barely). My mother did every fad diet throughout my childhood and my adult life has proven to fall into that pattern also. Hydroxycut, cabbage soup, detox, calorie counting, nutrisystem, phentermine with B12...just to name a few I have tried and failed at miserably. (Growing more embarrassed and ashamed as I type) Self identifying with all of this, I made the change to go Paleo in Jan 2013...hoping for some real "lifestyle changes" but I find that I still overindulge in alcohol most nights of the week, love pizza/burgers/insert crap food on the weekends, show no self control when asked to eat out with a social group and the list goes on. So what I'm saying is, if I cook, I stick to paleo about 90% of the time...if I cook. I'm not addicted to chocolate or having dessert...but I do rely on booze and certain foods as a reward or therapist (I.e. Started my menstrual cycle last night so binge ate pizza, hot wings and vodka after nearly a whole week of "clean eating" and now I'm typing this with the worse headache ever) I find that if I try to restrict alcohol then I crave sweets (sugar dragon). Remember I just told you I hadn't had booze in almost a week...well, I did make a batch of capellos chocolate chip cookies to have a couple each nite in its place. 90% of the time, I cook healthy meals for the week and store them in the fridge for packing to take to work and quick microwave dinners throughout the week. Yet, many nights I find myself "too tired" to even bother reheating dinner and grab a sandwich at one of the many places I pass on my way home. I'm also a slave to the scale (down two lbs, yay! Up 5 lbs, what the crap!) Yea, so I suck...and I'm aware...and I want to fix myself for good. But I'm scared this is gonna prove to be another fad I'm gonna start out motivated to do then miserably fail again.

Reading the book made me even more ultra aware of the "sugar dragon" and frequency of stories like mine. I'm just hoping that the book, and it's uncanny likeness to my life/thoughts, proves not to be "just too good to be true."

I'm also nervous about life after W30. I will be going to the field for a couple of weeks in Feb shortly following the completion of my program....and that could prove extremely difficult do to food preparation out of my control. But, I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

I welcome any advice and encouragement....and also those who are willing to start this journey together. I'm hoping to change my life through success with this program and then hopefully pay it forward to my loved ones later.

The most important advice I can give you is this:

1)  Realize that this is not a fad, and that this will take more than 30 days of commitment if you want to see a life-long change.

2)  Get really familiar with the meal template, and follow it.  Religiously.  

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

3)  Do not rely on sugary/carby snacks to feed your sugar dragon.  Dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and butters of these, fruit/nut butter combos, Larabars, etc -- these items continue to do funky things to your blood sugar, which will keep the cycle of cravings alive and kicking.  When your "30 days" are over, it is one tiny hop in the blink of an eye, right back to chocolate chip cookies (or whatever).  If you truly want to kill the sugar dragon, do it with FAT -- for the rest of your life.  :)

Brewer5 gave you some good advice.

I'd also add that if you're worried about the cooking throughout the week, you might look into a weekly cookup, like this: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

Also, I've already seen one January 1st start thread here in the forum, and I'm sure there will be others as we get closer to that date, so you can keep coming back here and find a group you want to join.

Welcome to your new way of eating!

The one thing that jumps out at me, unfortunately, is that this might suck for you... in the beginning. The reason I say this is because we're asking you to NOT prop your stress cravings, emotional cravings and booze/sugar cravings up with anything... It might feel uncomfortable... please lean into it... the Whole30 is not just about changing what is on your plate, it's about changing your relationship with food. It sounds like you have a somewhat unhealthy relationship with sugar and booze and that you want to change this pattern. We are definitely here for you and rooting for your success! I know you can do it! Please use us as a resource when it gets tough... there are TONS of people (myself included) who have gone through this same sort of dependancy and come out the other side and we have great tips and tricks for when it feels too hard. Just know that it's not too hard... hard,yes... toooooo hard? Nope... You can do it!

The other thing is that Brewer is right... while this is a 30 day program, it's a jump off point to the rest of your life and some people need longer than 30 days to really engrain new habits and this new way of living. When you're done your Whole30 (and re-introductions), we'll help you with what you can expect in February and beyond. Your approach to cross that bridge when it comes is a good one. By then you'll have new tools, new feelings and new habits to use as resources to get through that time!

Wooohoo! You can do it! Bring it January!!

I noticed you're worried about cooking throughout the week. I am certainly not a fan of cooking and food prep, so I always do a "weekly cook-up". There are great resources on the web for this. I do a two hour cooking session Sunday afternoon, then portion and freeze meals to have throughout the week. I just heat up a serving of whatever meal I feel like, add veggies and fat, and my meals ready in minutes!

I am starting my Whole30 on January 1.  I tried last summer and made it 9 days.  It became extremely difficult since I had my son and his family living with us at the time.  House is empty now and no excuses.  Prep time is here. :D

For busy people, I highly recommend the Well Fed & Well Fed 2 cookbooks, there are a lot of lifestyle tips in there, especially on doing variations from the same basic ingredients (which really cuts down on prep time, while maintaining variety).

Whole30 completely changed my relationship with food (and my health! so much healthier!). I was really surprised at how much it changed for me and how lasting those changes have become.

The cooking really gets easier over time, I found it much easier following the recipes of others as I had so many bad cooking habits I had made over many years of shift work  :P My biggest tip on the cooking would be don't get too fancy on weeknights. There's lots of simple delicious recipes, simple does not mean bland or boring :) Bulk cooking is a real time saver during the week.

That's what I want to start doing, bulk cooking.  I am going to use my Sunday afternoons to bulk up for the week ahead.  I am also going to make sure I cook enough to carry over for lunches and some breakfasts.

My partner and I are starting on the first as well. This is our second Whole 30--we completed one last summer. We also had stops and starts afterwards, but we didn't intend to do a real whole thirty, just did a week here and there. But we have both put on pounds and health is slipping again, so we want to reboot.

We both suffer from the sugar Dragon; it's amazingly (and frighteningly) clear how addicted we are to unhealthy carbs. Yikes! We both experienced unpleasant withdrawal last time, so I am getting my emotional and spiritual house in order to cope with my body letting go of the poisons.

I do feel excited to get back that feeling of Tiger Blood; mine was a gradual process, but by the last day, I felt really different. My family saw great changes,too.

Let's get it done in 2016! Healthy, healing foods, positive spiritual practice and strengthening our bodies every day with movement.

Im starting on the 2nd. It will be my first time. Ive read about it before but was always thinking that I would hate to not eat beans and yogurt. I finally decided that I can certainly do without those for 30 days. My other concern is Im allergic to tree nuts so in the past have relied on peanuts for snacks. I can tolerate some nuts as long as I don't eat too many. Im looking forward to kicking the bad carb habit and feeling better.

Im starting on the 2nd. It will be my first time. Ive read about it before but was always thinking that I would hate to not eat beans and yogurt. I finally decided that I can certainly do without those for 30 days. My other concern is Im allergic to tree nuts so in the past have relied on peanuts for snacks. I can tolerate some nuts as long as I don't eat too many. Im looking forward to kicking the bad carb habit and feeling better.

You don't need to eat any nuts at all, there are other options to get your healthy fats. Try avocado, olives, coconut, make sauces or dips, choose fattier cuts of meat, drizzle olive oil or ghee over your food.

You really shouldn't need snacks, once you figure out how much to eat at meals, but if you do need something between meals, go for a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Hard boiled egg with mayo, leftovers, canned tuna or salmon if you need something easy to take with you on the go.

Unknowingly, I have had the WELLFED book since transitioning to a mostly paleo diet (at least through the work week) over 2 years ago…I pulled it out before Christmas and started experimenting in preparation for January. Chocolate Chili was PHENOMENAL!!! During my visit home for Christmas, I was painfully aware of all the crap I ate and how crappy it made me feel, since I stuck to a mostly whole 30 compliant diet the 2 weeks prior. I had a headache for several days, extreme bloat from all the grains/breads, and just miserable temperament and energy. I am currently making my shopping list and cooking plan to start on JAN 1…I have committed for sure.

Now for the wrench that the Army threw into my plan. I am scheduled to go to a training event mid JAN which is about 11 hours away from home…2 weeks….crucial! I'm being told the ration cycle will be all MREs for the 10 days, but if that is wrong (which I suspect) we will have prepared meals which I will have to work around. I'm going to order epic bars and other compliant jerky and plan to eat that with olives and coconut chips if I have too. I thought about changing the date but we have like training in FEB & MAR….and there will always be an excuse if I let there be. Sooooo…..we start now and enjoy the strength (TIGER BLOOD) I will feel during/after my journey.

I'M COMMITTED TO CHANGING MY LIFE!

Thanks to all the awesome feedback. I look forward to the support you all will provide on a daily basis and look forward to supporting you through yours too!