Ready to stop at day 19

vegbelly

I have to be honest here; I am probably not doing this program right. Probably eating too much fruit and nuts; trying to really fill up at meals on proteins/fats and veggies but struggling to do so. Getting hungry/headaches; have been unbelievably tired and weak. Have had moments of feeling energized but not a lot. Today I was weighed and have not lost one single pound despite eating so differently versus before I started this. I was eating so much sugar, so many processed foods. I work out daily, sometimes 2 hrs. The numbers should not hold so much 'weight', i just sadly was so confused and dissapointed that I just wanted to return to a big 'ol  candy bar and some bread. Trying to stay positive but having a hard time. Really not feeling great and feeling like I have failed on this.

There is no failure, there is only learning that comes from trying. Plus, a gentle reminder that this is a 30 day program.

Several things jump out to me:
- working out daily for up to 2 hours
- too much fruit and nuts
- hungry, headaches, tired and weak

Based on the feedback you were previously given, have you increased your portions to get your meals to satiate you for 4-5 hours?

Further, what sort of workouts are you doing, how intense are they, and are you having pre/post workout meals, in addition to 3 daily meals?

Working out every day for up to 2 hours is a lot: I suggest giving yourself at least one rest day from the workouts. (Edit: here is an article on rest vs. recovery that you might find useful.)

Also, have you considered decreasing the fruit and nuts, where you feel you're eating too much of them?

• Moderators

I'm sorry you're not seeing the results you want. I do want to emphasize that you haven't failed, though. If you keep trying to eat better and get healthier, you have not failed. Even if you had turned to a candy bar and bread, that in and of itself would not be failure (although it would have ended your Whole30) -- failure would be if you just gave up and quit trying to be healthier, ever. I also want to remind you that no one ever does an absolutely perfect W30

At this point, you should not be tired and weak, or be hungry, or have headaches (unless these are something you've had before W30, then it might not be unusual for you). I see you've posted before, and were given some advice about things you might try.  Have you tried to eat more, as suggested? Are you including pre- and post-workout meals consistently? (I know there's some variability about whether people need these or not depending on what exercise they're doing, but I think you should include them, at least the post workout lean protein and starchy carb, mainly because you're complaining you're weak and tired and eating the post workout is something that may help with that.) Are you getting enough water -- 1/2 oz per pound of body weight at a minimum, and very definitely more on days you're doing something like hot yoga?

Weight loss sometimes doesn't happen until the last part of the 30 days. I know during my first W30, I didn't weigh myself, but I felt absolutely certain I was gaining weight right up til about the last week of it, but then did end up losing. If you haven't already (and even if you have, but need a reminder), check out these articles about why the no weighing thing is a rule on a Whole30: Toss the Scale, 174,203 ways to measure health

Now, having said all of that, here's the tough love part of the deal -- you are an adult. If you eat too many fruits and nuts and not enough protein and vegetables, it's because that's what you've chosen to eat. You can choose instead to eat a template meal. You may not feel like you want that template meal, you may hate even the thought of eating it -- but you can eat it. The fruit and nut thing is a habit -- you don't actually need either of those things to survive, and if they weren't available, and all that was available was a grilled chicken breast and brussel sprouts, you would eat the grilled chicken breast and brussel sprouts. You might not eat them happily, you might gripe about it the whole time, but if you were hungry, and that's what was available, you'd eat it. I'm not saying never have fruit or nuts, but maybe set yourself some goals around those foods -- that might be none of either for some period of time, or only one serving of each per day, or a couple of times a week. Maybe, if you know they're not available, you'll be more open to eating the protein and vegetables that you should be focusing on. 

Thank you for these responses. I have tried to increase my meals; I struggle with getting full very fast (very full) but then getting hungry (especially in the middle of the night).  I am going to really cut down on the fruit and nuts. I did not have any fruit this morning and felt well and will see how the rest of the day goes. Shannon-I appreciate the tough love a lot, it's helpful  and I agree ;). I am just eating so much differently and exercising quite a bit and am still holding onto about 15lb more than my usual maintenance weight so I am a bit discouraged but I am trying to focus on the positives. 

Thanks again.

It may go against what you've heard or think you "know" -- but I can almost guarantee you that if you let up on the exercise, you would see fat loss.

Walking is SO underrated. Humans would have walked for all of our existence -- but some of this other junk that people think they "need" to do? Yeah.... Not so much.

Every time I have had a break from lifting & just focused on food, REST, and walking -- I've lost weight. It just happens. There is no struggle. It doesn't have to be painful, you don't have to torture yourself. I promise.

But I am here to tell you from experience that the fruit/nuts/butters will do you no favors. Good idea to work on that. :)

Thank you Brewer. Yes, I agree with the exercise thing. Hard to trust. Also, it's my 'thing' to do and get out of the house. I did a nice hike this morning and already feel inclined to go to a barre class today but I may challenge myself to only do four things this week. Ha. In comparison to the 10 I did this week. Oy man, so silly. I'm interested in some peoples' specific workouts and meals especially for ladies.

Thank you

Vegbelly, I'd also add that the first 2 weeks, your body is still switching from sugar to fat as it's fuel source, and the weight loss really doesn't start happening until the last 2 weeks.  I can tell you from experience that the last week, it came off for me, and then if you keep going, it just keeps coming off.  This program is a process of retraining your body completely. Hang in there!

What about something more relaxing, like a swim or a massage? Intense workouts can raise your stress hormones, which can be counter-productive for weight loss. A rest day really helps. I actually lose more weight doing shorter resistance workouts than longer cardio workouts.

If you're having trouble eating big meals, you may need to add an additional meal in your day (stick to the template, it helps balance your hormones and hunger as well as giving you the nutrients you need), but you still need to eat the Pre & Post workout snacks as well, or you won't be getting enough food, which will make you tired.

Have you seen the recipes from Well Fed? Lots of great ones in there :) Almost all of hers are Whole30 safe.

vegbelly, I invite you to check out my log, littleg's log and alisonlcarver's logs - we're all active females and we (mostly) eat large template meals. (You'll see I still have my struggles with fruit & nuts, and Ali too, and littleg complains personally about over-eating fruit).

Good luck!

-Lauren

Thank you Brewer. Yes, I agree with the exercise thing. Hard to trust. Also, it's my 'thing' to do and get out of the house. I did a nice hike this morning and already feel inclined to go to a barre class today but I may challenge myself to only do four things this week. Ha. In comparison to the 10 I did this week. Oy man, so silly. I'm interested in some peoples' specific workouts and meals especially for ladies.

Thank you

You might want to take a read at >this article< re rest/recovery - neither of which you would appear to be doing - once you incorporate some element of one/other/both I think you'll see progress.

Have you made the suggested tweaks to your meals yet?

Thank you all for such helpful feedback. I absolutely agree and am applying the meal changes and also less activity. I love the article about rest/recovery. I always do take rest days and don't consider the activities I do that 'intense' however i have nagging injuries and know that I am spending too much time in ineffective activity. I will complete my 30 days on Wed and go from there. I haven't been able to see peoples' daily logs though. 

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Well, I just wanted to post an update. I finished my 30th day on Wed. Yesterday I had a small glass of wine and today I had my favorite holiday cookie. I didn't exactly do the reintroduction as I just had wine and then a cookie. (oops) I feel much better and while I have a lot to work on, I still am very proud of the past thirty days! I never took any measurements and my weight changed very little but I have gotten a lot of feedback about how 'healthy' and 'fit' and more alive I look and I certainly feel better and my clothes fit slightly different. I am just curious how to take things from here. Thank you again for all the helpful feedback. 

I wander how people consider 90/10 to look like.  

vegbelly, since you are not doing reintroductions, and you sort of just jumped back in to these other foods......  What I see is another Whole 30 in your future.

I say this because you really can't make good decisions about which foods are worth it to you (or not) -- if you don't know how they are really affecting you.  That is mainly the point of a Whole 30: to cut these things out for 30 days and get a sort of "clean slate" for re-introductions.

You may not notice an immediate reaction.  And even if you did -- how would you know at this point if it was from the wine, or any number of ingredients in the cookie?

I'm not judging or criticizing -- I did the same thing with my first Whole 30.  It's because I really didn't understand the importance.  Unfortunately, you will reach a point where you no longer feel "Whole 30 good" ... and you will probably want to do another Whole 30 with formal re-intros.

As far as your question about "90/10" -- my personal opinion is that these percentages are pretty pointless.  You have to figure out what makes you feel good and what doesn't, and you have to learn to make choices accordingly.  Some people have more tolerance for feeling less than stellar, and they will "off-road" more often, because (for whatever reason) they've decided it's important to them.  Some of us have about zero tolerance for feeling like crap, so we eat to fuel our bodies and feel our very best.  This is very personal, and not something anyone else can decide for you.  And it's a process, for sure.

• Moderators

Hi, Vegbelly -- congratulations on finishing your Whole30!

Have you read through all the information about what to do after your Whole30 on the website? It might give you some ideas to help you decide what your own post-Whole30 diet might look like. Start here, and just read whichever parts seem most relevant to you at the moment. I really also recommend Melissa's three part series about how she eats -- not because I think you or I or anyone should eat exactly the way that she eats, but because she talks about how she determined what way of eating works best for her, and it's nice to have a concrete example to look at. 

Thanks for the advice and yes I understand that I seemingly "Jumped" back in. However, I am aware and definitely appreciate the importance of reintroduction and intend to do so as well as actually doing another whole 30. I'm not going off the 'deep end' however with everything at once and feel so much better eating this way. I want to have a glass or two of wine on NYE and then will be starting another Whole 30 on Jan 1 to keep going. 

Thanks for all the support and guidance.

Archived