Middle of the night leg cramps

PiperPants

Hello! I'm only on day 3 of my whole30, but I've been eating Paleo for about 7 months now. Since I started eating Paleo I've been experiencing bad leg cramps in the middle of the night. They are more intense than any type of cramping I've ever had before. At this point I wake up in the morning and my legs are so sore I have to wait to run/go to Crossfit until the evening. The other unfortunate problem is, if I don't exercise one day, the cramps are more frequent and more intense through out the night!

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

There are actually several posts about this. My mom was having bad leg cramps at night. She started taking Natural Calm. It has magnesium in it. It has helped. She still gets them, but they are not as severe or as frequent. I would search the other posts because there is some good info on the best way to get magnesium.

This happens to me when I run a lot. I will wake up to charlie horses in my calfs....terrible feeling. Generally it's because I'm dehydrated. Even though I was drinking water all day...my body wasn't holding on to any nutrients in the water. You need focus on replacing the electrolytes and minerals that you lose in all that sweat.

I second jennrider's recommendation to take natural calm at night to see if that helps. Also, squeezing lemon or lime (get crazy and do both) into your water is an easy and natural way to get some electrolytes. Even a small pinch of salt (you shouldn't be able to taste it) helps.

If nothing else it breaks up the monotony of just drinking plain water all day.

See if these help...

Archived