DAY 1 WHOLE 30!!! I GOT THIS!!!

bndhaynes4

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy, I'm starting tomorrow, if you're going to check in here regularly I will too. I've done several Whole30s and I'm doing another one over the holidays. It might seem counterintuitive to do a Whole30 over the holidays - but it turns out that I'm going to be home and able to cook a lot over the next 30 days, so the time is right.

I don't generally log my food, but I like having the company and the accountability when I do a Whole30. Not too many people do Whole30s over the Christmas/New Year time, so anyone wanting some company, I'm going to be around!

I'm also, officially, a moderator, but I stepped away from the forums for a few months due to some increased commitments elsewhere (like, I played Mary Poppins in the stage musical!!) so I'm mostly here just as a participant right now. I can answer questions folks might have, of course, but I just haven't been around much.

Glad to be in the game again! Happy Whole30ing, all.

Day One went well for me, it was a good feeling to get back to an actual Whole30, and in my own kitchen. I have Hashimoto's too!

I ate lots of ground beef and sweet potatoes yesterday. And one of those bucket-size salads. I gotta make some mayo in the next day or two. I love mixing mayo with canned salmon, chopped dill pickle, cubed roasted sweet potato, some dried dill, and some white balsamic vinegar. I could eat that over and over.

My main challenge this Whole30 will be lifestyle, not food. I'm looking to reorder some priorities to allow for more time to perform as a singer/actor. Eating well will help me be as healthy as possible to do this.

Hi all,

I'd love to join you on this thread.  I started yesterday ... had planned a Dec 26 start, but had my last holiday commitment this week, so figured I'd get an early go on it.  I'm on-call a lot over the next few weeks so drinking is over for me anyway  ;)

I did a Whole 30 last January.  Loved it ... felt great!!  I spent most of the year eating this "new" way, "riding my bike" ... and was really happy with the rhythm I was in with cooking/eating, etc.  Had some slips after some travel, but got back to it.

THEN ... Thanksgiving happened.  I really don't know why ... maybe some emotional stuff (lost 2 friends in November to suicide and cancer) ... I don't know.  But, I started eating everything that was carb, sugar, wine, cheese .... blah blah... 'cause life is too short (and I know how ridiculous that this!) So many parties and lunches and dinners, etc.

OMG I feel so crappy!!  At first I was loving it ... fun, easy... hello pizza!  But boy I regret it now.  Bloat, moods, crappy sleep, no energy... I've got it all!

So I'm back to reset.  Don't feel 100% confident to do this over Christmas but I need to feel better.  

Day One went well for me, it was a good feeling to get back to an actual Whole30, and in my own kitchen. I have Hashimoto's too!

I ate lots of ground beef and sweet potatoes yesterday. And one of those bucket-size salads. I gotta make some mayo in the next day or two. I love mixing mayo with canned salmon, chopped dill pickle, cubed roasted sweet potato, some dried dill, and some white balsamic vinegar. I could eat that over and over.

My main challenge this Whole30 will be lifestyle, not food. I'm looking to reorder some priorities to allow for more time to perform as a singer/actor. Eating well will help me be as healthy as possible to do this.

Hi,

I'm wondering about your recipe for homemade mayonnaise?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'd love to join you on this thread.  I started yesterday ... had planned a Dec 26 start, but had my last holiday commitment this week, so figured I'd get an early go on it.  I'm on-call a lot over the next few weeks so drinking is over for me anyway  ;)

I did a Whole 30 last January.  Loved it ... felt great!!  I spent most of the year eating this "new" way, "riding my bike" ... and was really happy with the rhythm I was in with cooking/eating, etc.  Had some slips after some travel, but got back to it.

THEN ... Thanksgiving happened.  I really don't know why ... maybe some emotional stuff (lost 2 friends in November to suicide and cancer) ... I don't know.  But, I started eating everything that was carb, sugar, wine, cheese .... blah blah... 'cause life is too short (and I know how ridiculous that this!) So many parties and lunches and dinners, etc.

I'm sorry to hear about your two friends.

OMG I feel so crappy!!  At first I was loving it ... fun, easy... hello pizza!  But boy I regret it now.  Bloat, moods, crappy sleep, no energy... I've got it all!

So I'm back to reset.  Don't feel 100% confident to do this over Christmas but I need to feel better.

I am just starting the Whole30. I'm on day 4 and it is good to hear that you can notice a big difference when you go off of it... It seems like a lot of people plan to just do it for 30 days and then go back to old habits. I don't understand the point of that?

I am just starting the Whole30. I'm on day 4 and it is good to hear that you can notice a big difference when you go off of it... It seems like a lot of people plan to just do it for 30 days and then go back to old habits. I don't understand the point of that?

I learned a lot about the correlation between what I eat and how I feel.  I bet you will too!  I'm certainly (and obviously) a big work in progress, but it feels so good to eat well.  Now if I'd only remember the lessons!!!

How are you feeling after 4 days?  

I learned a lot about the correlation between what I eat and how I feel.  I bet you will too!  I'm certainly (and obviously) a big work in progress, but it feels so good to eat well.  Now if I'd only remember the lessons!!!

How are you feeling after 4 days?

I'm feeling pretty good although I really miss the milk in my tea in the morning and a little bit of chocolate in the evening. The first couple of days I was really hungry but that is getting better.

Hi,

I'm wondering about your recipe for homemade mayonnaise?

Thanks!

Hi Joanna, I posted on my former blog (still searchable, but no new posts on it for a while) about how I make mayonnaise back when I first started making it: https://makingspacethejourneyout.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-homemade-mayonnaise/

Unfortunately, the video I used to help me make it has been removed. If you go to YouTube and search homemade mayonnaise with an immersion blender, you can find lots of videos and techniques. The key to making it Whole30 compliant is to use either extra light in flavor olive oil (not EVOO), or another compliant oil; and leave out any honey/sugar/sweeteners that other recipes call for. Some recipes use just a yolk, but I can't be bothered to separate an egg, so I like the recipe that uses the whole egg.

Also, I ended up buying a Breville immersion blender from amazon - it cost more than a thirty dollar somethingorother from Target, but it never fails me!

So - I've had a good day two, I'm finishing up grading and it's a bit crazy digging into my Inbox and finding all sorts of interesting things there. Eeps! Anyway, this is a good sign, it means I am able to sit down long enough to read emails (and post here), phew! I'm remembering how much I like eating Whole30 foods. Yummy!!!!!!

Holly cow ... just 2 days in and I'm sleeping SO much better, waking up is SO much easier!!  It's like my body is doing a big sigh of relief to finally see a vegetable again!

I'm really amazed I haven't had a headache (yet!).  This was the worst sugar binge I've had in years.  But there's still time - ha!!

Off to work today and a weekend being on-call so I'm all cooked-up.   Made crockpot chili, sweet potatoes, chicken and hardboiled eggs to get me through the weekend.  I'm with you Amy ... Whole30 food is just so good!!

Have a good day  :)

My day went well today, I am happy that I keep remembering to add fat to my meals. This is one thing that makes Whole30 feel very indulgent to me, and then I wake up the next day feeling good too. So it's all good. So far I'm enjoying mayo and guacamole. I'm sure there will be much more to come!

If only I could get through all of these papers I'm grading!!!! Argh.

I really loved my first (and only) Whole30!  Everything was better, even things I didn't think needed improving!!  The ONLY dark side (can't wait to see Star Wars!!) was my lack of energy when I workout.  

Got a preview of what's to come today.  It felt like I moved heaven and earth to finish a 30 min cardio!  I eat lots of starchy veggies ... spent last Whole30 trying to trouble shoot, waiting for Tiger Blood ... never came.  Once I finished the Whole30, I found what works for me.   If I add a serving of oatmeal or rice, etc most days of the week (doesn't even need to be everyday), I feel great.  Problem solved.  So I image I have to grunt and groan through my workouts again this time around.  

This makes me grumpy ... but I think I have a bit of "kill-all-things" happening today  :angry:

On a brighter note, NO HEADACHE!!!! Yea!  I think I'm going to skirt this phase again!

Hope you all have a great day! 

Hello all ... hope everyone is having a fun weekend before Christmas!

Yesterday was a long day.  I prepared food to grab-and-go if I got called-in around mealtime.  But I got distracted ... and out the door with nothing ... I was SO hungry by the time I got home!  And it was a "kill-all-things" day ... so I was just super pleasant to be around  ;) with the added "h-angry!"

If I don't have to work later, I'm heading to watch the Steelers game at a friend's house with the family. 

I really like the way I sleep when I'm eating well.  Still feeling bloated ... kind of clogged-up (TMI) ... hope that relieves soon.  Otherwise, very happy to feel in control and still not a craving at all ... even with "goodies" everywhere.  I'll take that while it lasts!

Today I'm going to start some light exercising - with some trepidation, so I'm going to ease into it. My schedule has been pretty challenging over the past six months, so exercise has sometimes taken a back seat to getting enough sleep. Also, I started a new blood pressure medication (one that I think is going to work for me long term, hooray!), and so I've felt a bit more run down than usual as it takes effect. My history with blood pressure is complicated and difficult, but I have arrived at the age where nothing I do on my own, alone, will bring it down, so it's time to take the help from the little pills. This has been REALLY hard to accept, but now that I've found a medication that seems to be working, I really do feel better, and that makes a big difference in my overall quality of life. So - this particular Whole30 is all about bringing back balance to my eating after an extremely busy schedule kept me away from my kitchen (and my house) most of the time for the past several months. And wow it's good to be back eating my own cooking again!!!!

Day 7 for me and feeling pretty good. I haven't felt a huge energy boost yet and still crave chocolate in the evening. Lots of goodies in my house but I have managed to avoid them so far.

Like WholeChristina, I still feel bloated. Need to drink more water perhaps?

If you're craving chocolate you could either be lacking magnesium, or just not eating enough fat - it wouldn't do any harm to add both just to be sure.

As for the bloating, it can be caused by a number of things. Shooting for the hip I'd say:

Too many nuts/nut butters

Too may raw veg

Too many cruciferous veg (broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts etc)

Too many raw cruciferous veg - double whammy!!

Too much seltzer or iced water (the body has to work hard to bring iced water back UP to body temperature)

A sensitivity to high FODMAP foods - again cauliflower, cabbage, avocados, mushrooms, onions, garlic to name but a few...

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with sleep/stress/activity levels we can take a look and hopefully suggest some tweaks.

Hope this helps  :) 

Made it though my call weekend - woo hoo!!  

Long weekend, but I stuck to plan.  Had one moment last night ... watching football with a group, tired from working ... and I wanted to snack.  Not craving anything specific (Whole30 foods would have worked just fine!) ... but realized I need something to "help" me relax.  Lately, it's been sweets and cheese (or wine).  I ignored it (probably ate a larger dinner than I needed) but I worked through it.  

And "kill-all-things" is over ... happy news for the family  ;)

Today is my reward day.  I always reward a finished call weekend.  Pedicure and manicure ... can't wait!!

Then lots of baking and cooking for holiday meals.  Thought my baking was finished, but my sweet dog stole a huge platter of cookies from the counter.  He's an older boy and hasn't done that since puppy-hood ... guess he was in the holiday spirit!  My home-from-college kids are pouting so I'm making more.  I feel good about staying away from the cookie dough (my favorite part of cookies).  I think I ate so much junk this last month, I still find it unappealing ... but I know that will change!

My only hiccup in my holiday eating plan (I cook all the meals because of my work schedule .. so complete control) ...we've been invited to my cousins house for a get-together between Christmas and New Years.  Don't have anything finalized yet.  The problem will be pressure to drink ... the food I can mange ... but I'll cross that bridge another day.

Have a good one folks!

The Christmas to-do list keeps coming ... just when I think I'm in good shape, the list magically grows!  Back to work tomorrow, so I have a load to get finished today.

I've been so focused on getting ready for Christmas, I haven't planned (or cooked) anything for myself to get me through the rest of the week.  I will finish the chili I made at lunch today ... then I'm on empty.  Got to figure that out today.  

I still feel in control heading to the big meals ... but I need to have something special for me to enjoy or I'm worried the temptation will be too much.  Especially since I had planned to start Dec 26 or Jan 4 ... so there's potential to talk myself into "but it's Christmas."  

Maybe a mock-cocktail??

Hope you all are doing well.  It's been a quiet thread, but I image everyone is in scramble mode!!  

I've been doing just fine, enjoying the food, enjoying being at home and able to cook! I've probably made mayo three times. I hadn't made my own mayo in months, so I'm really enjoying it. There's just no comparison between homemade mayo and storebought. The storebought stuff just tastes - weird.

I'm having a good time getting back into walking, and I'm going to be adding some dance classes in January (this is very funny, I'm the least dance-y person I know - but have always wanted to be able to dance, so I'm going for it!).

The main thing that's weird for me is actually having a break and getting to organize and plan. So Whole30 is good for my brain. Very happy with basic, home-cooked, whole foods.

This Whole30 I'm trying not to pay as much attention to what day I'm on ... that said, a week has already passed.  It feels like it's going quickly.  Don't know if it's the distraction of the holidays, the fact that it's not really new anymore or that I'm not obsessing with which day I'm on ... but I like it!

Finished grocery shopping yesterday (oh the crowds ... worse than Thanksgiving!).  Planned my meals out and cooked a bunch of stuff to get me through.  Decided on scallops and shrimp as my special treat ... expensive, but should be really good!!  Oddly, my family wants ribs every year for Christmas (not at all compliant with a sugary sauce), but I don't eat pork because it bothers my stomach.  So every Christmas I need to make something different for me.  

Hopefully, work and traffic will be light today and I can get a start on holiday prep.  This time of year it seems like I live in the kitchen.  I like it for a little while, but it gets old by New Years!  On my feet at work and on my feet in the kitchen ... my back isn't happy.

On a side note ... the temperature is up again this week , foggy and rainy (I live outside Atlanta) ... 75 degrees for Christmas.  Yuck.  I really can't wrap my brain around the fact Christmas is in a few days.  I'm from the north and I want a chill in the air!!  Rant over  :)

I live in the tropics, so I will have a warm Christmas too.

Things are going smoothly for me too, and I actually get to have time to myself over the holiday season. I'm very happy about this. It will help me rest and also keep my food how I want it.

Everything is good food-wise, but I do need to shop, maybe (gasp) tomorrow afternoon, and that may be a challenge.

Well, yesterday didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  Crappy day, crappy weather (which lead to crappy traffic) but it's over.  No food prep started ... it was eat dinner and bed.  A day like yesterday would have been an open-bottle-of-wine night had I stayed my November course.  Glad it wasn't (but last night I was quite a bit less "glad").

Good news is I'm off for Christmas, so time to take a breath and be grateful.

I woke up early (thanks Whole30!!) and am ready to hit the kitchen running.  Peaceful morning (even with the continued thunderstorms!) .... trees lit, candles lit, family still asleep (even the dog).  I would have missed this morning if the wine had won.  Now if I could just remember this when the next bottle comes knocking!!

Wish you speedy shopping today Amy!  Enjoy your time and rest over the holidays.

I had a lovely Christmas Eve and a blissfully quiet Christmas. I made a highly simplified version of this recipe for greens: http://www.kitchenistadiaries.com/2015/12/how-to-make-pot-of-southern-greens.htmlI love her recipes, and she recently did a couple of Whole30s, so she includes adaptations she made for some recipes to make them Whole30 compliant. This recipe is very labor-intensive, and I had no time or patience today, so I did this:

1. 2 big bags of prewashed greens, one collard and one mixed country greens

2. cast iron dutch oven

3. storebought compliant chicken broth

4. smoked paprika

I use the dutch oven because I had just sweated onions and cooked some stew meat in it, so I knew it would add to the flavors. I just poured in some broth and sprinkled in some smoked paprika and some Hawaiian salt (I'm in Hawaii, so that's all I use). Then I added the bags of greens, waiting for them to wilt down between additions, added more chicken broth, and let it simmer, covered, until they were tender.

Even though this recipe is a huge huge huuuuuge simplification of the original, it still tasted good enough to bring tears to my eyes, for real! I'm so happy to know how to prepare greens so they actually taste good.

So that was my Christmas Day treat - greens!! I certainly ate plenty today, but I certainly also stuck with Whole30. Very proud of myself.

Archived