DAY 1 WHOLE 30!!! I GOT THIS!!!

bndhaynes4

We had such a fantastic Christmas.  Hoping all of you did too!  Amy - sounds like you had a wonderful time ... Merry Christmas!

This morning I feel a big wave of relief ... it's over and I'm still Whole30ing!  Wine did not get the best of me, but it sure tried.  The food part was no problem.  Whole30 food is DELICIOUS!!  But give me a social evening, long day in the kitchen cooking, hungry, backache, etc ... and wine calls me loud and strong.  AND 2 nights long ... ugh ... it was challenging.

I reminded myself (over and over!!) how disappointed I'd be today if I had to start over.  

We were supposed to golf today (I got a new driver I'm excited to try - thanks Santa) ... but lordy the weather is crap.  It has downpoured and thunderstormed for days so golf will have to wait.  A plan-free day ahead  ... but, actually, I like a plan ;) ... so I'll have to get thinking on that ...

Looking forward to the boards picking up as the holidays are coming to a close.  I really enjoy reading and connecting with the groups.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hooray Christina! I've had several of those days where I thought, "What will it hurt me to eat X?" But the next morning I'm so glad I stayed with it! I'm starting to see/feel the results I always hope for in a Whole30, and that's very good news.

My plan for 2016 is going to be to eat Whole30 with some regular exceptions: the last day of one month and the first day of the next, I'm off, meaning I can eat anything that seemed to be calling my name, or stay with Whole30 if that feels best; and, when I'm traveling I'll be off Whole30. The ultimate goal is to be in really good shape by January 2017. I'm also working on my voice, dance techniques (hahahaha), and overall fitness. Along with this, I'm re-envisioning my career, and giving myself time to try out some new things as a sideline while I keep going at my current position. So it's going to be a year of really focusing on my health, artistic life, and overall outlook on life.

So - my last day of this Whole30 will be January 16. Then I'll take a couple of days off, and back to it until the end of January/beginning of February, then back to it, and so on throughout the year. If this stops working for me after some indeterminate period of time, I'll re-evaluate. One big splurge I'm making is to hire a cleaning service to come really clean my house once a month. This will take a huge load off my mind, I hate living in a dirty house, but when I'm performing a lot, I'm just not home enough to really clean (and you'd be surprised how running in and out all the time dirties a house!). So that's a big "phew" of relief right there!

In the meantime, I'm happy to be here, and really shocked at how well those greens came out, and also the beef stew I made yesterday.

My plan for 2016 is going to be to eat Whole30 with some regular exceptions: the last day of one month and the first day of the next, I'm off, meaning I can eat anything that seemed to be calling my name, or stay with Whole30 if that feels best; and, when I'm traveling I'll be off Whole30. The ultimate goal is to be in really good shape by January 2017. I'm also working on my voice, dance techniques (hahahaha), and overall fitness. Along with this, I'm re-envisioning my career, and giving myself time to try out some new things as a sideline while I keep going at my current position. So it's going to be a year of really focusing on my health, artistic life, and overall outlook on life.

So - my last day of this Whole30 will be January 16. Then I'll take a couple of days off, and back to it until the end of January/beginning of February, then back to it, and so on throughout the year. If this stops working for me after some indeterminate period of time, I'll re-evaluate. One big splurge I'm making is to hire a cleaning service to come really clean my house once a month. This will take a huge load off my mind, I hate living in a dirty house, but when I'm performing a lot, I'm just not home enough to really clean (and you'd be surprised how running in and out all the time dirties a house!). So that's a big "phew" of relief right there!

In the meantime, I'm happy to be here, and really shocked at how well those greens came out, and also the beef stew I made yesterday.

This sounds like an exciting plan, AmyS!

Let me just encourage you on the housecleaning. I live in a small cottage with two cats and I have someone clean every week! She needs the money and I need the peace of mind and the ability to prioritize other things.

This sounds like an exciting plan, AmyS!

Let me just encourage you on the housecleaning. I live in a small cottage with two cats and I have someone clean every week! She needs the money and I need the peace of mind and the ability to prioritize other things.

I love this. I have two kids and a golden retriever. Chasing down hair all the time is not my idea of a good five minutes at home! Thank you for the affirmation!!

Amy - I love that you have such a well thought out plan for 2016!  I'm excited for you and am impressed with how you are directing your life ... much success to you!!

I joined the Whole9 forum group to have some accountability for keeping the year on track.  This year is a bit in flex for our family (which we knew was happening ... and not a bad thing at all ... but potentially lots of change).  So, I don't have a very firm vision for the year ... have to wait and see a bit.  But I can still work on the "me" goals.

I'm feeling some positive results from this Whole30 too.  My go-to jeans fit again ... whew ... the closest had shrunk an awful lot last month!!  I'm up and energetic in the morning.  I'm usually a morning person, but it goes to a whole new level when I'm eating well.  The puffy, smooshed morning face is gone (that's a scary first look in the mirror!!!)

But what I'm finding most interesting is my energy level is back up during my workouts.  That was a huge struggle during my first Whole30 and I thought I was headed back there again.  

And it also happened when I started a Whole30 last summer.  I stopped due to health issues (very long story, but it was necessary to stop).  I think I did a bit over a week (can't remember) but it got me back on track so I didn't go back to it once I was cleared medically.  I'm rambling ... anyway ... I felt horrible during those workouts too.

BUT this time (knock wood, fingers-crossed) I seem to be doing okay.  I'm not doing anything particularly different this time.  Dare I say, I had "extra" energy during yesterday's workout.  I hate to even say this out loud (or type this!) but could Tiger-Blood be on the horizon??  Oh, that's an exciting possibility!

Today is game day - GO STEELERS!  We'll watch with friends.  Should be a fun afternoon.  I'm going to make Sunshine Sauce (Well Fed) with a veggie tray.  Boy that is some good sauce!!  I make a double batch and use it with so many things ... YUM, YUM!

Lordy I'm chatty this morning - sorry for the ramblings.  Have a good day  :)

Thanks Christina for your kind words about my 2016 plan, I'm really looking forward to this year. I'm studying the role of Evita for an audition in January 2017, for performances in April 2017. This will be my biggest role ever, possibly the biggest role I'll play in my life, and while I'm certainly not guaranteed the part, I want to be prepared to perform when I arrive at the audition. To that end, I need to get healthy(er), get in shape, get some dance moves (hahahahahaha), and get the entire show into my voice. I'm also researching the life of Eva Peron, which has some similarities to the musical - but she was a real person, and she is still a beloved and polarizing figure in Argentina. This research is helping me meet two of my goals for my future, regardless of whether or not I actually land the part: I wanted to improve my dance techniques, which are currently mostly non-existent, and I want to return to fluency in Spanish, which I used to speak like a native speaker. So - yeah, this is going to be a really fun year.

I'm also very relieved because after YEARS of backing and forthing in dealing with high blood pressure (including a significant period when I first started Whole30 when I was actually able to get off all prescription medication), I finally have a doctor I trust and a medication/supplement combo that really works. One big thing I've learned in this process is that there is no one approach to my high blood pressure that can be locked in forever. I'm really glad that I was able to be off of medications for a while, thanks to Whole30, and I'm glad that now that I need them again, that I've found a really good doctor and an appropriate medication routine.

As for food, today I tried something that I've read about here on the forums for YEARS: coconut milk in my coffee. I wanted to drink some decaf espresso (my body goes pretty nuts on caffeine), and I didn't want to drink it black. But I'm really not at all a fan of the flavor of coconut milk, oil, cream, etc. So I've never tried the coconut milk and coffee routine. I decided to dig out the one can of coconut milk out of the back of my pantry and give it a whirl - literally. I made the espresso, plopped in a dollop of the coconut milk, added some pumpkin pie spice, and blended it with the immersion blender. I'm happy to report that I taste exactly NO coconut. And the texture and flavor is very nice, very drinkable, without being a sweet treat. I'm happy with this.

Food's going well, energy is good - Christina, I was reading your post about energy and nodding - lots of improvement in energy with this Whole30 for me too.

As for plans, if everything is changing, the plan is probably going to be "hang on for the ride" whether you intend that or not - here's hoping all goes well for you.

Clearly, I'm chatty too today!

Hi Everyone! I just finished my first day! Does anyone have any suggestions as far as ingredients and food prep? I started following the first week they outline in the book. I went out and got all the ingredients yesterday but I'm concerned some of my fruits and herbs will go bad before I'm supposed to make them. I got 2 bunches of basil to make pesto but they don't say to make it until later in the week. Would it still be as good if I made it tomorrow and stored it?

Thanks! Hope everyone had a day full of yummy approved foods! 

Amy - wow Evita - that's amazing.  I can't image having that talent (or ability to speak another language).  Your voice must be beautiful!  Sounds like you are positioning to have your best foot forward on those auditions. Fantastic!!!  Break a leg (do they still say that???)

AND glad to hear your blood pressure is under control. As you know, being diligent in your care is so important!  The nurse in me wants to SING your praises but believe me, I can't carry a tune in a bucket!!  I'll leave the singing to you  ;) Continued health to you!!

Well, had a good day yesterday despite a horrible Steelers loss!  It's strange to be off from work for the Christmas week.  I will pay my dues over New Year's but until then, I'm chilling with the family  :)

It's funny how I have a hard time just relaxing.  I have this need to "fill" my day.  I love a list ... sometimes my lists have lists!  That's one of my goals over the Whole9 challenge forum is to let up on that intensity ... a bit.  I LOVE time to myself, but I need to be doing something (not like I'm saving the world, just maybe cleaning out my junk drawer!!).  If my day doesn't have a list, I feel a little lost.  When this Whole 30 is over, I'm going to finally get some private instruction for yoga.  I've been procrastinating it for a long time, but I think yoga will help mentally and physically.  I need to give it a proper try.

Expecting a fun day today.  I have a hair appointment (who doesn't love that!) and I'm going for a color change.  I pay a fortune to be boring - time to go back to a blonder look in the new year!

Hope you all have a fun one too!

Hi Everyone! I just finished my first day! Does anyone have any suggestions as far as ingredients and food prep? I started following the first week they outline in the book. I went out and got all the ingredients yesterday but I'm concerned some of my fruits and herbs will go bad before I'm supposed to make them. I got 2 bunches of basil to make pesto but they don't say to make it until later in the week. Would it still be as good if I made it tomorrow and stored it?

Thanks! Hope everyone had a day full of yummy approved foods! 

Hi there!!  Food prep is the way to go!  I don't follow the weekly menu so I can't speak to it specifically.  Pesto should be fine made early (and should freeze well).  If I buy herbs and veggies early, I store them in those odd green vegetable bags you can buy (or order on-line).  They are designed to help stuff stay longer ... and they work great.  (I bought Debbie Meyer's EvertFresh Green Bags from Amazon, but I think you can get other brands in the supermarket)

I can't say it enough - make lots and freeze what you can.  I make a double (sometimes triple) batch of stuff that freezes well.  It comes in so handy and is a huge time saver.  Nom Nom Paleo and Well Fed are my favorite cookbooks.  

Whole30 food is really, really good!!  Hope you have a great day 2  :)

Lovin' my new hair  :)   A quick change can do wonders!

But onto Whole30 stuff ...  I ended up shifting my meals much earlier in the day (just worked out that way).  Ate dinner at 5:30p and hit the bed just before 10.  As I was trying to fall asleep, I realized I was quite hungry.  Maybe should have had a snack (mini-meal).  Debated getting up and grabbing something, but didn't.  Awake (and hungry) a number of times during the night.  BUT oh the food dreams ... love them!!  I was at a sugar cookie bar - fabulous  :P

I forgot how much I need to eat when I get to this stage of the game.  I remember being shocked by the volume the first time around.  I'm blessed with a happy metabolism anyway, but add clean eating and it's a bit nuts!  Not complaining - it's liberating to eat when you are hungry.   It's another reminder of my body on junk food vs my body on real food.

Star Wars tonight!!!  (I won't type any spoilers tomorrow ... no worries!)  Have to figure out meal timing better today.  Movie is at an odd time.  It will probably be a 4 meal day.

Boards are getting active!  I'm going to continue to post on this thread since the start timing fits the best, but will also move to the Whole9 2016 forum as that gets up and running.  I'm excited to spread my focus beyond just Whole30 and into other other pillars of Whole9.

I'm doing well over here, enjoying the food and the feelings that come with eating well. I've also joined the Whole9 2016 forum and I'll begin checking in over there. All is well here, leading up to the new year. Lots of good and needed changes in my life.

Another pouring rain, thunderstorm day today :( 

I have a cook-up day planned.  Back to work tomorrow and back on-call so I need all my food ready to go.  Vacation was nice and unexpected, but time to get back to it.

Not feeling very perky today.  My workout took it all out of me yesterday, so I'm taking a day off today to see if I bounce back.  Looks like tomorrow will finally be rain free so I can run outside.  Lots of hills, so best to have my legs fresh.

Have a good one!  I'll see you over at the other thread soon  :)

P.S. Star Wars was well worth seeing!

It's sunny here, which is kind of rare for December, but I'll take it. I'm finally starting to feel the effects of eating well - woke up this morning ready to get out of bed!

My friends who hosted the Star Wars marathon had a blu-ray version, so the original, which I remember seeing in theaters when it first came out, is now even better than when it first showed on the big screen! I'm looking forward to taking my kids to see the newest one - a rite of passage. What was funny is that as we watched the first one (as in, the first one that came out, not the first one in chronological order), we were all able to quote lines from it, even the kids! Star Wars is part of pop culture even if you're 12 and haven't seen it. Wild.

A nice effect of the day after a cook-up is I have a smorgasbord of food.  Today will be a good eating day!  First time I made the Romesco sauce from Whole30 - wow - delicious!  

Also baked, prepped and cooked for the family tonight.  Hopefully, I won't be at work too late.  I'm on-call, so no drinking temptation (makes it much easier for me than Christmas).  Won't make it to midnight (unless I get called into work!!) but family will have a little party. 

Gosh, last day of 2015 ... time really does go by in a blink.  

Off to run on a rain free morning ... FINALLY!  Happy New Year's Eve ... be safe all.

If I'm counting correctly, I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of halfway through this Whole30. In some ways, it's been sort of annoying to do one during the holiday season, because there is so much food out there. In other ways, it's been reassuring - I always know I have good food at home waiting for me, so I don't have to worry. This Whole30 has also helped me re-prioritize some things that had escaped my attention over the past several months, and as always, the effect reverberates out farther than food for me. So it's been a fairly intense, but ultimately very positive, process.

I had a smorgasbord a week ago, and now I'm looking at the kitchen and thinking I really need to do a cook-up. And possibly a shopping trip soon. Ack! I'd gotten out of the habit of shopping and cooking weekly, so re-starting that is a bit hinky. I'll get the rhythm of it, though.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

After reading your post, I got out the calendar to check where I am ... and yea, I am also over halfway.  It feels good.

I completely agree a Whole30 over the holidays is challenging.  Pressure to "join in", social cues to eat, drink and be merry - temptations everywhere.  But I can image how I would feel right now if I hadn't made the decision to start early.  I was really out of control and would have continued all the way to January.  It's a great feeling to have that control back.

I haven't given a lot of thought to life after this Whole30.  I liked the way I "rode my bike" last year (even with some slips and resets) but I feel a pull to up-the-ante so to speak (hence the Whole9 challenge).  I've had a number of sad reminders this year how short life is and it's weighing a lot on my mind.  It's a good opportunity to learn and grow.

Since I'm on-call today (and stuck at home waiting) it's time to take down the Christmas decorations.  Lordy, I dread this day :wacko: such a process.  But today is a perfect day to get it done.

P.S. I watched Melissa's new blog video - she's such a great speaker - a good morning Whole30 pumping up!

House is undecorated and cleaned - official end of holidays for me!  

As I said before, I'm very pleased to have navigated the Whole30 over Christmas and New Years, but I need to be diligent now too.  Sometimes I find I push through the hard parts and then let my guard down on the "regular" days.  

Last night we ate dinner while watching a movie.  That triggered a snacking urge in a BIG WAY.  I almost grabbed some almonds, but changed my mind.  Maybe that's a healthy improvement to make this post Whole30 ... no snacking.  I always snack for the wrong reasons (if I'm hungry, I eat a mini-meal ... even if I call it a snack).  I'm talking the hand-to-mouth mindless eating ... even if it's Whole30 approved food. Not good, not needed ... my new rule.

I feel good about it  :)

Congrats on getting the decorations taken down! I'm doing mine next week, so they're still up, but no lights turned on anymore.

I finally woke up with that burst of energy that Whole30 is famous for. It was quite lovely, and I was concerned that I'd somehow woken up at 3:00 am or something, but no, it was 5:50, just the right time for me to get up.

I've really REALLY enjoyed the food this Whole30. My eating has been so helter-skelter over the past several months, with some rather intense, if positive, schedule changes, and lots of running around. The luxury of having the time to cook myself good food and the time to eat it has been amazing.

My last day on this Whole30 will be the 16th. Then I'll take two days off, then eat Whole30 compliant until the end of the month, then two days off, then back to it with the same routine - Whole30 compliant except for two days a month, for this coming year. I'm very eager to experience the other changes that I'm putting in place, getting in shape, preparing a new role for an audition, doing a financial overhaul, etc. It's going to be a good year.

Amy - I like your new profile picture  :)  

My Whole30 excitement this week relates to my troubled knees.  I've worn a brace on and off for a long time when I run (often my right knee is worse).  Usually, I can modify workouts and get it back to manageable if it acts up. Recently, my right knee has been so bothersome.  I have trouble with stairs, bending over, kneeling down, etc.  I was close to going to an orthopedic (it takes a lot to get me to a doctor) because I couldn't get it better (rest days, ice, heat, massage ... nothing worked).

What I noticed the last few days is I have very little (often no) knee pain.  Haven't changed anything ... EXCEPT MY DIET!!!  Hello and duh!!!  I should have made that connection when it first acted up.  Thanks (again) Whole30.

I hope it continues to feel this good!

Today is my Day 2.  Yesterday was really tough for me...tired; headache.  I'm sure it was mostly mental and also due to not not having much food prepped.  Spent a lot of time making meals for next few days, plus having my husband doing this with me has been a big help.  He's been very encouraging especially when I woke up on Day 1 and said I don't know if I can do this.  But one day down and 29 more to go.  Feeling good today and definetly more optimistic.

Work took it all out of me yesterday, but now I'm off for a few days.  I usually do something just-for-me after being on-call, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow.  I need some distance between yesterday and relaxation.

I had to go 8 hours between lunch and dinner.  Just unavoidable ... happens sometimes.  We have an emergency candy bin for just such situations.  Didn't even tempt me - BIG VICTORY.  But good lordy I was a hungry mess by the time I got to dinner.  I don't even know if I chewed anything  ;) and I ate most of it with my hands (bit barbaric ... but no one was looking!)

My lunch (and dinner) included Well Fed's Best Chicken Ever with Moroccan Dipping Sauce.  Oh my goodness - SO DELICIOUS!  I've seen (and passed over) this recipe a number of times.  Not my usual choice of spices and flavors.  I was so very wrong!!  It's amazing ... and that dipping sauce ... perfect!  Try it if you haven't already!

• Administrators

Work took it all out of me yesterday, but now I'm off for a few days.  I usually do something just-for-me after being on-call, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow.  I need some distance between yesterday and relaxation.

I had to go 8 hours between lunch and dinner.  Just unavoidable ... happens sometimes.  We have an emergency candy bin for just such situations.  Didn't even tempt me - BIG VICTORY.  But good lordy I was a hungry mess by the time I got to dinner.  I don't even know if I chewed anything  ;) and I ate most of it with my hands (bit barbaric ... but no one was looking!)

My lunch (and dinner) included Well Fed's Best Chicken Ever with Moroccan Dipping Sauce.  Oh my goodness - SO DELICIOUS!  I've seen (and passed over) this recipe a number of times.  Not my usual choice of spices and flavors.  I was so very wrong!!  It's amazing ... and that dipping sauce ... perfect!  Try it if you haven't already!

If you guys have a candy bin at work for emergencies, can you not stash an epic bar or something similar? If you and your coworkers have time to eat candy, you must have time to bite a meat-bar?  Even if you just kept an apple in a drawer that you could take a big bite of on your way by?  Obv not ideal to eat fruit on its own but more ideal than going 8 hours between with nothing?  Just a thought.

Just started my 1st 30 today.  I spent the last 30 eliminating caffeine and soda pop from my diet.  Now I am almost awake and the caffeine headaches are nearly gone.  I had to kill that one off first before the 30.  It will be tough, but I am very motivated.  A couple of decades ago I went macrobiotic for a year.  Sure hope that this is easier than that was.

Welcome K7 and Jon! Nice to see some new folks here!

I've been away from the forums for a couple of days, but food is going well - I did Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker chicken and it's like my favorite thing to eat whenever I make it. I finally tweaked the gravy recipe to suit my tastes, I use waaaaaaaaaaay more tomato paste than she does. Love that stuff.

I'm having a very nice Whole30 this go-round. Very very nice one.

Sending good thoughts to our new folks, happy eating, and happy Whole30ing to you!

Archived