Day 0 and afraid to start

S1ckandT1red

Hello everyone!

I am a 5'8" 205lb 27yr old female from MO. 

I have always been the bigger girl in my family and in my group of friends and I am a notorious yo-yo dieter. 2015 though has really opened my eyes (i hope).

I have always been a sickly child. I always have colds, flus, or random allergies (i had a 6 month reaction to shrimp once).

In 2007 I had my gall bladder removed when I was 18

In 2011 I severely broke my ankle and through 4 years I have had to take copious amounts antibiotics (pretty sure i have no gut bacteria... or any thats good)

After years of yo-yoing I started this year at around 180 lbs after my 3rd surgery on my ankle. I started my masters degree and started planning a wedding. We will just say my body has never done well with stress.

Beginning in march this year I woke up with unimaginable abdominal pain and later got diagnosed with diverticulitis. However since that day I have been miserable. I however have a bad relationship with food. When i get stressed I eat. Its like my crutch.

It needs to change though. I am destroying my body from the inside out. 

I am nervous though. I am unsure of how to truely plan this out. My anxiety is getting the best of me and keeping me from starting

I don't know a lot about diverticulitis but you will definitely need some support, perhaps medical, to make this work.  I have stomach issues and spent about a month (under a doctor's care) lowering my sweets, alcohol and grain levels and finding out what foods I could eat while on the program, some approved foods just don't work.  I would start that today, start cutting down the sugar  and one other element, like dairy or grains or legumes. When I finally got on the program, I had few issues by then with the 3 day hangover or hangriness or napping.  You just have to do some good planning and cleaning out of your kitchen.  

An important thing to remember is that there is no failure with Whole30. Ever. Even if you only last 1 day that is 1 day of nourishing your body and 1 day of discovery and paying attention to your body and learning about the process. You can keep on starting again until you make it to 30 days. If you have to do what Kathryn suggests and start out by lowering your consumption of sugar and other foods first that is fine too, we can do baby steps until you get there. 

You can do this! :D

If you have a bunch of health issues, you might want to get some blood tests before you start (you don't need to though, entirely optional).

My doctor was shocked at how good my results were, post Whole30 :) I've also had a lot of antibiotics (and steroids) in my history.

Don't worry so much about starting, there is no failure. If you need to start over, there's always something to learn from the experience.

Whole30 also isn't forever, it's for 30 days.

My first one, I really wasn't sure I could do it, I surprised myself :)

Hi There!!!

You can sooo do this!!! I too was sick and tired of being sick and tired when I did my first whole 30 3 years ago.... And guess what?  I am still here  :) and have been able to resolve a good number of my health issues.

Since you are without a gallbladder, you may need to play around with your fat portions. Google "Whole 30 without gallbladder" and you should find plenty of other past discussions on this.

As for stress - you will need to find other ways of coping with stress / cravings.  I usually recommend making a list of activities that you enjoy doing - it could be anything from painting your nails, to walking the dog, do 10 push ups, reading a book, take a nice bubble bath, or knitting.  Just find something that is relaxing and gives you pleasure at the same time.

• Moderators

I am nervous though. I am unsure of how to truely plan this out. My anxiety is getting the best of me and keeping me from starting

I get being nervous... but there's no way to start other than just starting.  There are weekly cookups and shopping lists on www.meljoulwan.com and loads of resources on this site as well.  Others have commented on the lack of gallbladder and medical issues, which I am not qualified to comment on, but I wanted to say that sometimes the worst part of starting is dreading starting.  Every day that you eat real food and leave off the no-no's (dairy, grains, soy, booze, beans/legumes and some preservatives) is a Whole30 compliant day.  Don't think about day 28 and 30 before you get through day 1... and then day 2... there is tons of support here for you as you move through this new lifestyle and you'll start to feel so much better, I promise!

Archived