15 days in, first post

violetta

I didn't feel much of need to post for the first 15 days, I was doing well but started to need some feedback.  I have done pretty well most days, occasionally needed a banana and almond butter fix but no non-compliant foods except some sweetened cranberries that I picked out of my salad.  

Today, I tried on the "pants" thats I haven't worn for a decade.  They were tight but wearable, yah!

Food today

M1 2 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, eggplant, catsup, 2 sweet potato rounds.

M2 chicken soup with zuke, carrot, celery, sweet potato, pepper, onion tomato and almond butter, 1/2 avocado

M3 chicken salad with lettuce, spinach, pepper, avocado, carrot, sunflower seeds and oil and vinegar dressing

Mouth is burning from too much vinegar, have to try a ranch dressing and make mayo tomorrow.  A little bloated after dinner ( I made the salad really big to see if I could make it through the evening without snacks) but lots of energy.

Had a sweet potato slice with almond butter last night before bed

Bad sleep last night, woke up at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Finally got up at 5:30 after trying relaxation tape.  Haven't felt any tiger blood today although I was able to take a walk despite 4 hours of sleep.

Food today

M1 2 eggs, spinach, radichio, eggplant, with bruschetta sauce, 2 sweet potato rounds

M2 chicken soup with zuke, pepper, onion, celery, carrot, tomato, mushroom, almond butter and eggplant slice with turkey

M3 Shrimp stirfry, snow peas, bok choy, pepper, mushroom, onion, broccoli  with sun sauce over sweet potato

• Moderators

Are your meals keeping you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time? The basic format of them looks good, but depending on portion sizes, they might be a little small -- for instance, a serving of eggs, when they're your only protein source in a meal, is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hands, which is likely 3-4. And with soup, it can be hard to ensure you're getting enough protein in there. You also seem to be a little low on fat, especially in M1 -- I'm assuming the bruschetta sauce is a tomato-based sauce, with some olive oil, but not necessarily huge amounts of fat.

When you have salads, an easy way to bulk them up is to throw in leftover cooked vegetables -- I especially like chunks of roasted sweet potato or beets in my salads, but you could try other things as well. Lightly steamed broccoli or cauliflower (or raw, if you prefer, I just prefer them a little softer than raw) would also be good. Or if the thought of mixing cooked vegetables in just doesn't appeal to you, you could have a side of other vegetables. There are also tons of other vegetables you could put in raw, like jicama, radishes, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, snow or snap peas, cucumber. Or mix in bagged coleslaw or rainbow salad vegetables for an easy way to add to it.

The bruschetta is pretty heavy on olive oil, I make it myself.

My meals today are:

M1 3 eggs w/1/2 avocado, salsa, mushrooms, zukes, leftover broccoli and a little applesauce

M2 green beans with mushrooms, peppers, onions sauted in ghee with leftover spaghetti squash and chicken

post workout:chicken/lettuce rollup with olives and mayo

M3 salmon in EVOO, 1/2 sweet potato, cauliflower mash and salad with greens and avocado with homemade mayo ranch dressing

Getting better at adding the fat to each meal so I can make it between meals but I still get full very fast and don't really want to eat that much at each meal.  It just seems like so much food but I have lost about 10 pounds and feel pretty good now so it really is working.

I am having this weird reaction at night before I go to bed, I get really hot about 9 o'clock, not really a hot flash but just a high temp and can't stand any covers over me when I go to bed. This is in a room with about a 60 temp!  It goes away after a while but makes it really hard to sleep at first, lasts about an hour. Still waking up at 4:30 but I am going to bed at 9 so I am getting much more sleep.  I got up this morning at 5 but drank some tea and fell asleep again in my chair until 7 so I got plenty of sleep.

Finally felt like I wanted to eat breakfast without turning my stomach.  Had leftover green bean/chicken saute with eggs and olives and it tasted good!  Vegetables for breakfast are finally feeling possible.  Still woke up at 5 so I am not feeling very energetic.  Fell asleep twice during meditation.  Not much tiger blood for me.  Working towards 7 hours of sleep.  My burning tongue is doing great however.  I can hardly feel it except for few minutes after vinegar or tomato products and it was killing me for the last two weeks.  

M2 chicken soup, salad with tuna.

M3 turkey meatloaf with roasted veggies and sweet potato, cauliflower mash

I might get up the courage to eat red cabbage salad tomorrow. 

woke up quite nauseous this morning after what i thought was adequate sleep but after breakfast I had to take an hour long nap, that has not happened before.  It felt hangover like, isn't day 22 too late for that?

M1 3 eggs, spinach, avocado and salsa with ghee ,strawberries (possibly too much sugar so hence the nap)

had a 1/2 banana to settle my stomach

M2 acorn squash soup; carrots, celery, onions sauted in coco oil and pureed with squash, then a dash of coconut cream plus leftover turkey meatloaf

M3 chicken salad with mayo and dressing, veggies, avocado, sunflower seeds, grapes

No eating between meals!

Drank lots of water to reduce the headache and nausea, it eventually went away by about noon.  Still felt tired all day.

You could be playing catch up.  During my very first whole 30 I struggled with good sleep too until about day 22 or 23.  I had only glimpses of the boundless energy for the first few weeks and then I would be plain out lethargic again.  So I do feel your pain.

Maybe drop the fruit completely in your M1 and maybe play around with starchy veg timing. Strawberries are honestly not a true huge sugar bomb, but if you find that you have trouble sleeping, they might be worth dropping from your morning meal.  Yes what we eat first thing with affect us all day and affect our sleep as well. My personal story is that  I do well when I have a bit of starchy veg in the morning with M1 and starchy veg at night with M3.  I encourage you to keep playing around with things.

Personally, starting the day off with the addition of a fruit sets me up for more hunger throughout the day. Instead, I eat protein, veggies, and fat. That's it. Blood sugars remain normalized, I can make it 4, 5, 6, even 7 hours until lunch (if I have to), and my sugar cravings are much less while my energy is increased.

But of course, you have to figure out what works best for you. :)

I am not ever hungry in the morning so the fruit is to tempt me to eat and then I can continue with the rest of the meal.

But I tried  dropping the fruit today and had a frittata with three eggs and veggies and a couple of sweet potato slices.  Not as much nausea, some tiredness.  I didn't drink my usual green tea, that may have been part of the nausea, although I have had a cup of green tea forever but of course, with a little sweetener and milk which I can't have now.  

Made it out skiing for a few miles with no problem after I felt better about 11.  It is tough though to figure out what to eat.  I ended up with a few olives, some turkey slices, sweet potato slices and some almond butter.  No veggies, couldn't figure out what veggies I would want to eat at 25 degrees sitting in the snow.  I used to eat large quantities of cheese to keep me warm and hot chocolate.  I haven't really found a replacement.  Perhaps I need a lunch thermos for solid foods that are hot.  But I don't like to carry much when I am skiing.  It slows me down.  I might have some squash soup for a snack to get some veggies in.  

Dinner is shrimp stir fries with bok choy, snow peas,  zukes, onions, peppers with a citrus sauce.   

I am not ever hungry in the morning so the fruit is to tempt me to eat and then I can continue with the rest of the meal.

But I tried  dropping the fruit today and had a frittata with three eggs and veggies and a couple of sweet potato slices.  Not as much nausea, some tiredness.  I didn't drink my usual green tea, that may have been part of the nausea, although I have had a cup of green tea forever but of course, with a little sweetener and milk which I can't have now.  

Made it out skiing for a few miles with no problem after I felt better about 11.  It is tough though to figure out what to eat.  I ended up with a few olives, some turkey slices, sweet potato slices and some almond butter.  No veggies, couldn't figure out what veggies I would want to eat at 25 degrees sitting in the snow.  I used to eat large quantities of cheese to keep me warm and hot chocolate.  I haven't really found a replacement.  Perhaps I need a lunch thermos for solid foods that are hot.  But I don't like to carry much when I am skiing.  It slows me down.  I might have some squash soup for a snack to get some veggies in.  

Dinner is shrimp stir fries with bok choy, snow peas,  zukes, onions, peppers with a citrus sauce.   

Protein will keep you warm as your body will generate heat as it digests it - ever heard of the meat sweats?  ;) 

Maybe try a thermos with some veg soup with some meatballs or chicken drumsticks/wings on the side?

Woke up at 3 today after going to bed at 9:30 and struggling to get to sleep.  A little in and out after that.  Had a spoonful of almond butter ( I know that is not the best thing) when I couldn't sleep because my stomach was growling because of not enough starch in the dinner. I wasn't hungry after yoga and didn't eat my sweet potato slices.  Had to take tylenol at 3 am because my leg was hurting.  I will try to eat more tonight. I may be losing too much weight (I never thought I would say that!) because it seems like my clothes are way too big.  I may weigh just to see, how much weight loss is too much?

M1 leftover fritatta on the road to a doctors appt 100 miles away

M2 either sauted veggies and chicken at the natural foods restaurant(if the snow isn't too bad) or snacks of olives, leftover meatloaf and cauliflower mash on the way home through the snowstorm.

M3 left over shrimp stir fry and squash soup.

Ended up eating the leftover meatloaf for lunch as the roads were terrible with snow and I didn't want to go downtown with the other crazy drivers to the restaurant.  I tried that Natural Calm last night and slept for 51/2 hours straight.  I like it!  Didn't need to eat anything at night.  The squash soup at 7 pm probably helped.  I have no idea what I will eat today because the power is out.  I will warm the leftover fritatta on the camp stove for breakfast and see if the power will come back on in time for the turkey.  We might have most of our groceries outside soon in coolers if the power doesn't come back on.  I tried starting with green tea again today.  We will see if I get nauseous again.  Yesterday I started with Passion tea and felt fine in the morning although I was tired from not sleeping well.

Yesterdays Meals

1.Leftover spinach fritatta, in the dark (no power)

2.leftover squash soup, turkey slices, power back making turkey for dinner

3. turkey, sweet potato, compliant cranberry relish (kind of sour), green bean sauce. kombucha

No nausea this morning, had herbal tea instead of green tea.  I slept well for 5 hours with Natural Calm but woke at 3:00 am and had a hard time getting back to sleep (about an hour).  Tried body scan meditation and more Natural Calm and finally succeeded until about 6:30.  I have stopped taking Mirapex at night for my restless leg so down to 1/2 dose.  Also quit taking Prilosec for my reflux, no cough or stomach pain or sore tongue has come back.  Trying betaine and digestive enzymes and glutagenics and it seems to be working.  I have been taking Prilosec for a few years!

Meals on day 26

1.3 eggs with leftover bean saute

2. skiing-1/2 sweet potato, 4 olives, turkey slices, 1/2 cashew lara bar

3. turkey soup with sweet potato, carrots, celery, onion, zukes, peppers, mushrooms and a little almond butter and spices plus salad with oil, vinegar dressing, kombucha

Not very hungry today despite a 6 mile ski, not very tired either as I normallly would be.

So, yesterdays dinner was low on fat and I ended up with huge cravings starting about an hour after dinner.  Ate a banana with almond butter (yes, I know) and then, for a terrible experiment, I thought I would try going completely without Mirapex (restless leg meds) since I had cut my dose in half with no problem.  But, it was really a bad idea combined with having food cravings.  So after i went to bed all went well for a while and then my legs kicked up and even though I was very sleepy, I couldn't stop moving them so I got up.  Then I started eating, trying so hard to stay compliant.  I had a spoonful of almond butter, then decided to have a mini meal of turkey, potato and avocado and took my meds.  However, they take a couple hours to work so I laid in bed wanting cereal and milk so badly until the meds kicked in and I could finally sleep.  So the take back from this is to have a post workout meal and then dinner a little later with lots of fat and avoid the larabars and continue to take my lowered dose of meds until I am sure that my food choices are secure.  On the good side, no nausea perhaps with lowered dose of meds or no tylenol because I had no leg pain at night.

Yesterday's meals (day 27)

1.3 eggs with leftover green bean saute, 1/4 avocado

2.Skiing lunch of turkey soup in thermos, turkey slices, almond butter and some some nuts and dried mango

3.cod with pepper relish, roasted brussel sprouts and purple and sweet potatoes in olive oil ( there was also squash and turnip but i really didn't like them although I do like squash soup)

I stayed full all of last night for the first time with no stomach growling.  I tried only a half dose of meds but ended up taking the full dose after my legs started moving.  Woke up a lot but went back to sleep easily.  Headache and a little nausea this morning.  I can't imagine eating right now. Maybe it will be better later. I know the second Mirapex is making it worse.  I may need to try changing drugs.

Feel good this morning, made it through the night with 1/2 dose of meds although my sleep wasn't perfect.  Some stomach pain so I will go back on Prilosec so I can actually tell if the reintroduction foods are causing pain or its just the hyperacidity from quitting priloscec. 

Food yesterday:

1. 2 eggs with sweet potato and tea, couldn't eat anymore than that with nausea

2. turkey soup, turkey slices

3. turkey soup, salad with avocado and turkey and sunflower seeds, peppers and carrots with olive oil and vinegar dressing and mayo, spoon full of almond butter

Some hunger pains from not eating enough fat but I just couldn't swallow any more food.

Day 29

M1-3eggs, sweet potato slices and avocado with salsa

M2-turkey soup, brussel sprouts, and turkey slices while skiing

Got a little hungry when we got back in so post workout-a little turkey and brussels sprouts

M3- turkey salad with avocado, peppers, carrots, sunflower seeds, grapes, lettuce, and balsamic vinagrette and mayo, a few left over brussel sprouts and purple potatoes,kombucha

Lots of energy today and felt great, no nausea, had 1/2 dose of RLS meds last night.  Better late than never!  Up at 5:30!

Had to take a full dose of meds last night (long ski?) but I waited to see if I needed them so I didn't get to sleep until about 11 but no nausea so far this morning.  I guess I had enough starchy vegetables for dinner because I didn't get at all hungry until about 6 am.  But I couldn't sleep past 5 again so only about 6 hours of sleep.  I may take a nap after breakfast.  Day 30.  I think I will reintroduce for a few days and see how it goes and then maybe continue through January, as much as I don't want to.  There are only a few meals that work for me.  Mostly chicken or turkey or squash soup, turkey, chicken, salmon or shrimp, salad and eggs for breakfast with sweet potatoes and veggies. The only thing I am really missing is milk in my coffee.  

Meals today

1.3 eggs, 1/4 sweet potato, 1 cup kale, applesauce

2.turkey, brussel sprouts and sweet potato with oil, vinegar dressing,

3. large turkey salad with lettuce, peppers, avocado, carrots, sunflower seeds, grapes with balsamic vinagrette and mayo, kombucha

Two naps today to recover from short night but took a long walk in the snow.

Last day tomorrow, amazing, it has been a very long month! I am going to try the thing I have been missing most, cream in my coffee.  I could pretty well skip anything else but cream, I NEED.  I hope it goes okay.  I will pretty much stay on Whole 30 for a few days after that.  I feel like I am not really done with figuring out digestion and sleep. 

Wow, last day, I had a delicious cup of coffee with cream and all is right with the world, at least for now.  We will see if it affects me.  Cant decide whether to try more dairy products or just stick with my beloved half and half for today.  Slept better last night with a lowered dose of RLS meds and more Natural Calm and glutagenics.  Got by without prilosec yesterday but will probably take it today.  My tongue is a little sore this morning. My weight was 141, a loss of 11 pounds. May be more after my first cup of coffee before breakfast (had to wait until after breakfast before because I couldn't stand it black early in the morning.)

Archived