reintroduction phase with ongoing stomach problems

Jnbrgr99

Yesterday was day 30 for me.  Today I've decided to reintroduce sugar.  I had bacon with added sugar for breakfast and am planninng on some 80% dark chocolate later today.

The whole30 was actually fairly easy for me.  I did notice a much better mood, more alertness, and some ezcema has cleared up.  My issue is that for the last week or so I've been having some pretty bad stomach issues.  I'm being tested for an ulcer as well as gallbladder or pancreatitis issues.

I want to get the best information as to any food intolerances I may have, but I'm not sure that I would be able to tell the differences from the reintroduction vs what is going on in my abdomen. 

My first thought was to stay on the whole30 until I get some sort of diagnosis and treatment plan, but with Christmas coming up I know I will be having off plan foods of multiple groups at the same time, so that wouldn't help.  I have celiac disease, so I am always 100% gluten free, and my friends and family are very good about accomidating me being GF.  It's the other groups that I know will be at almost every meal I eat with family.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jennifer

Are you eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables lately? example: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage.....

Are you eating many raw vegetables?  Raw vegetables can difficult to digest for some people.

Are you eating any nuts?  Nuts are notoriously bad on digestion.

Onions and garlic can also be problematic as well as any other FODMAP veggies and fruits.

• Moderators

My issue is that for the last week or so I've been having some pretty bad stomach issues.  I'm being tested for an ulcer as well as gallbladder or pancreatitis issues.

I want to get the best information as to any food intolerances I may have, but I'm not sure that I would be able to tell the differences from the reintroduction vs what is going on in my abdomen. 

My first thought was to stay on the whole30 until I get some sort of diagnosis and treatment plan, but with Christmas coming up I know I will be having off plan foods of multiple groups at the same time, so that wouldn't help.  

Jennifer

My personal thoughts and probably not that popular are that if eating Whole30 style reduces your symptoms, I would stay as close to Whole30 as possible.  Sure it's Christmas and it's definitely harder, but honestly, is it harder that being in pain and having bathrooming problems?

I would strive very hard to stay away from foods that may cause additional problems for you... sugar in ketchup and bacon would be okay but really try hard to stay away from those major groups of food that you haven't tested yet.

Thank you for the replies.

I don't believe I've had any broccoli or cauliflower in the last 2 weeks. I did have brussel sprouts once last week. Other than leafy greens, my veggies have been cooked. I ate a lot of veggies pre- whole30 as well. I haven't had any nuts in about 2 weeks.

My digestive issues were waking up one night with horrible stabbing/cramping pain at my sternum. Also some chest cramping at the same time. These episodes would last for about 20 min with maybe an hour or so of relief between episodes. It continued for about 48hrs and has now settled into a constant dull ache just below my sternum. Gas-x and antacids did nothing to help the pain. It is actually relieved temporarily by eating. During the night episodes, I would wake up with horrible nausea that went away as soon as I stood up. But the pain never went away.

I went to my Dr and after he cleared my heart, we are concerned about an ulcer or gallbladder attack. I don't believe this is diet related. It started on day 25 of my whole30.

My concern is that if I start my reintroduction, I wouldn't be able to tell food intolerance issues from whatever this is. But if I don't do a controlled reintroduction I wouldn't be able to tease out which foods are causing issues.

Ironically, aside from the pain/discomfort I feel fine.

I am not a Dr or health care practitioner - nor are any other moderators.  However when you have heartburn, stomach crapping, etc. it's usually the opposite problem that we are led to believe - it's usually because we have a lack of digestive enzymes - not too much.

Which makes me believe that you could possibly benefit from taking a digestive enzyme, adding natural probiotics such as sauerkraut, kimchi or kombucha, or just take a probiotic supplement.  Since you might not producing enough stomach acid you could potentially benefit from taking a Hcl supplement in order to boost yours.

The last thing, IMO you should be taking is an antacid.  

If it is indeed a gallbladder issue - it might help to go lower on the fat content as your gallbladder is one organ that helps break down fat.  But I wouldn't worry about it too much until the Dr has ruled it out.

Definitely work with your Dr on this.  What I mention above are merely suggestions based on the experience of what has helped others suffering from similar issues.

Thanks again for your reply.

That night was the first and only time I've takes antacids.  It didn't help, so I didn't take more.  I actually have no history of heart burn or acid reflux.

I'm not going to add anything new until I get a diagnosis.  I think the Dr is thinking an ulcer, but is ruling out more serious things first.  Most ulcers are actually caused by bacteria, which interestingly enough cause the stomach acid to be less in order to survive.  If this is the case, get rid of the bacteria and the stomach acid returns to normal.

I guess for now, I'm asking for advice on the reintroduction?  Or just put it off until I get a diagnosis and hopefully treatment plan?  My dilemma is Christmas and how to deal with the almost certain exposure to off plan foods.

Another easy change (no new things required) is to not drink liquids with meals. This can help digestion by not diluting stomach acids (the reverse works for people whose stomach acid is too strong).

As you've already noted, a reintroduction is going to be difficult as you may not be able to identify things making you feel sick.In your situation, I personally wouldn't reintroduce anything, you could feel much worse (not nice during the holidays when everyone else is having fun and you're in pain) introducing off plan things. A potential ulcer/gallbladder problem is a good social reason not to eat anything off plan (if family aren't very supportive) and bring your own plate/s.

While not a cure, if you do have an ulcer, there are many things which can irritate it, like pepper. Back when they didn't know what caused ulcers, long lists of irritant foods were identified. There are also soothing things like peppermint tea and oil, but these only soothe symptoms, not cure.

Gelatin and bone broth are pretty helpful for gut healing.

Keeping a food diary and tracking how you feel may help with your treatment. I hope you feel better soon :)

• Moderators

Thanks again for your reply.

That night was the first and only time I've takes antacids.  It didn't help, so I didn't take more.  I actually have no history of heart burn or acid reflux.

I'm not going to add anything new until I get a diagnosis.  I think the Dr is thinking an ulcer, but is ruling out more serious things first.  Most ulcers are actually caused by bacteria, which interestingly enough cause the stomach acid to be less in order to survive.  If this is the case, get rid of the bacteria and the stomach acid returns to normal.

I guess for now, I'm asking for advice on the reintroduction?  Or just put it off until I get a diagnosis and hopefully treatment plan?  My dilemma is Christmas and how to deal with the almost certain exposure to off plan foods.

I agree with Praxisproject... I know that Christmas seems like a dilemma but you're in control of what you eat and it's up to you whether treats trump pain.  As far as reintro, I'd just skip it for now because you won't be able to tell if it's ongoing symptoms or a reaction to the reintro... so if you choose to go off plan, then do so, but I would wait until your medical condition is resolved, do another whole30 and then go ahead with re-intro.

Thx guys.

I just got some results. H pylori test negative, so most likely not an ulcer. US showed slightly enlarged liver and possible gallbladder polyp. Meeting with Dr next week to discuss results.

In the meantime I think the best bet is to stick on plan as much as possible over holidays and until I am into a treatment plan.

• Moderators

In the meantime I think the best bet is to stick on plan as much as possible over holidays and until I am into a treatment plan.

I really think this is the best decision that you can make for yourself.  Really, there's nothing at Christmas that you can't technically eat any other time of the year and while we consider the holidays a social eating time, it's really a focus more on the social and less on the eating... plus, you'll feel better to be able to be social than being in pain and discomfort.  I think it's courageous and very health focused to make a plan to stay W30 over a holiday that is notoriously difficult to navigate food-wise so I'm giving you this shiny internet award in advance because I know you'll be successful!

Archived