Weight Loss Question When Doing This Long Term

cindytree

I know weight loss is not supposed to be the main focus but the fact is, I am very overweight so it is something I need to work toward with or without Whole30. We're not talking a few pounds; I'm in the obese category.  I'm about to turn 59 which probably means I have to work harder at it too.

I've been on Whole30 for nearly 4 months now and have several NSV's which motivate me to continue, the main one being that I'm no longer pre-diabetic. I've lost 26 pounds since starting in August which is a wonderful result too. No complaints at all!

I weighed today and haven't lost any more weight since I last weighed on Nov. 11. So my question is, is this normal? Is my body just adjusting and will start losing the fat again as I continue?

I'm honestly not stressing over it but I was just surprised that I hadn't lost any more weight despite sticking to the program and considering how overweight I am, and considering the amount I had lost up to now. 

Thanks for any input.

First of all, congratulations on your 26 lb weight loss so far! That's an average of 6.5 pounds per month, which is a nice safe pace of weight loss.

With respect to what's considered "normal" weight loss for an extended Whole30, I don't know that we have data to answer that question. It's so individualized, given prior health history and eating habits, among other things.

What do you mean by turning 59 means you need to work harder at weight loss?

If you'd like more specific feedback on possible tweaks, post a few days worth of your food log, including portion sizes, daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep and your exercise routine. It would also help to know how your current stress levels are and any health history that could impact your weight loss progress.

Plateau's of any kind aren't uncommon - be it in weightloss, running progress, muscle/strength gain, cardio capabilities etc - and it's mainly due to the body's amazing ability to adapt, which means that in order to make further progress we need to mix things up a bit...

As Chris has suggested it would be helpful to see what some typical day's eating looks like for you, along with sleep/stress/activity levels so we can take a look and maybe suggest some possible tweaks.

Congratulations on your progress so far - you've done brilliantly!

I understand completely re being over 50 and post menopausal that it is much harder to make gains in any arena-weight loss, fitness etc. Getting older aint for sissies.

I am having the same issues-restarted multiple times with no real success in the weight loss dept-in fact gaining, but as the mods have told me, stress, reduced sleep etc can slow down or hault weight loss.

• Moderators

Having plateaus is normal. What you are doing works and you will keep losing weight if you keep following the program and eating according to the meal planning template.

I weighed 175 when I got married and 230 pounds about 13 years later. My wife doesn't cook. I did it to myself. I lost 15 pounds over two years with exercise and then plateaued for a year. Then I started Whole30-style eating and proceeded to lose weight every month like clockwork for 15 months in a row. However, I lost 2 pounds per month during that period. I wanted to lose more, but I never varied by more than half a pound from 2 pounds per month. After 15 months I weighed 184/185 and stopped losing weight. I have been the same weight for about 4 years now. 

Using the body like a punching bag and trying to squeeze every last pound of flesh out as fast as you can is a set-up for a hook-up with disaster.  Going Oooo sooo slow is the only way the body/mind connection will not rebel against you.

Sticking the landing is just as big of a deal as the process of getting there.  There's the college 10 and then there's the 100+ pounds.   Hormones like leptin/ghrelin  need to settle into a new normal,  try and speed that up and you're in for one heckuva fight not to rebound with every single pound and then some.

Tom's way is the only way not to end up in a pile of rebound weight gain before you can say,  Whoa, Pardner, looks like the bronco bucked you off again.

Archived