Kik, the sugar queen's food and activity log

KikWilliams

Today was my first day of Whole30 and I did quite well considering I decided to do this late last night. This was what I was able to pull together without a trip to the store.

Breakfast: 2 eggs

Lunch: salad w/half chicken breast, tomato, sautéed onions, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 sliced pear, and my homemade vinaigrette.

Dinner: grass fed burger w/sautéed mushrooms and shallots, side of green salad

My only newbie slip up was deglazing my mushrooms with a splash of white wine. Ooops! I drank sparkling water with my meals and still water throughout the day. I forget to drink water when I'm at work so that can be something to work on this month.

Today's workout was a 1 hour, Bob Harper video. I am traveling over the next day and a half so the challenges will be to get my exercise in, drink more water and follow the guidelines while I'm a guest at my friend's house. I'll check in again in a few days. At least I'll be near a Whole Foods so I can get some super fresh veggies to pack back to the boonies with me. Wish me luck!

I just wanted to say good luck on with your 30 days! Your title "the sugar queen" caught my eye...I am beginning my 30 days tommorow and sugar is always my biggest obstacle. My big challenge wont be the dairy or grains....its the stupied sweets.

Best wishes on your journey!!

Kik,

this is great....I will do the same to stay accountable. Great idea....you don't snack....My days are so physical I need to snack between meals....I am a nurse and I am very active....thanks for the post. I was starting yesterday but forgot corn on the grill is a NO NO... So today is day one and it is May Day...

Nice job on day 1…especially since you didn't have a whole lot of time to prepare.

Take a look around the forum, there is some great information regarding tips and tricks for traveling. Here are a few ideas off the top of my head…

HB eggs, carrot sticks, olives, avocado, deli turkey, tuna, pre-cooked/cut chicken breast, celery, cucumber, pepper slices, tomatoes, baby spinach, jicama, kale chips, sea snax (check ingredients in these: no soy, no canola oil) fruit, applesauce, Larabars, coconut milk, shredded coconut, macadamia nuts, nut butters (moderate amount)

You can get a cooler or one of those zippered insulated bags to take all this stuff…

Good luck and I am looking forward to reading you log.

Today is Day three. My trip yesterday was not too bad at all. Most of the time I was alone, so I didn't need to expain my food choices to anyone. I had two eggs, crumbled leftover burger from the night before and salsa for a breakfast scramble. I had appointments mid-day which forced a super late lunch of chicken, spinach and mushroom salad. When I arrived at my friend's house for book club, I was too full for any dinner so I mainly focused on drinking water since that is one of my goals. I normally don't skip meals but it just worked out that way.

Today, I started with some scrambled eggs and chorizo from Whole Foods buffet. I found out during my three hour drive home that our cat had been hit by a car and killed. Needless to say, I was not hungry for lunch but I forced myself to have 5 chipotle shrimp with some guacamole when I got home. I also had a few ranch flavored raw kale chips, and fat free sweet potato chips from my Whole Foods haul. I'm not normally a chip person but these were veggie chips that completely passed the ingredient list test. The kale chip was the clear winner. I may just do a smoothie for dinner tonight if I'm hungry at all.

I would gladly trade sugar in exchage for not having to tell my kids that our kitty died but I have to go do that now. Tomorrow's goals will be to get a good workout in since I missed the last two days.

I did end up having a Day 3 dinner. It was about 2 oz. of leftover chicken w/sauteed onions, the rest of the Rhythm Superfoods sweet potato chips with a little guacamole and 4 strawberries.

The Day 4 workout I did was a half hour interval DVD so I met that goal.

Breakfast Day 4 was 2 eggs and lunch was the rest of the chipotle shrimp (about 8) dipped in the rest of the guacamole. I was not hungry for dinner again but my husband brought home some lamb chops he had prepared for a party and I ate three along with some of the kale chips I mentioned earlier. The day was pretty lacking in vegetables so I will try to work on that for day 5. I'm still working through my funk of losing my cat so yesterday was a bit of a phone-it-in kind of day. I'll try to pull it back together and get the creative juices flowing today.

Here's my day 5 and 6 recap:

Yesterday breakfast was a smoothie: frozen blueberries, ice, coconut milk, raw cacao powder

Lunch: olive oil packed tuna with avocado, tomato, mixed greens and sherry vinegar

Dinner: Unplanned trip to Mexican restaurant. I had a shredded chicken salad without eating the shell. Basically it was chicken, lettuce and tomatoes. Boring, but stuck to plan.

Today's breakfast was broiled asparagus spears with two eggs

Lunch was the bit of plain hamburger my son didn't finish, the rest of the kale chips and a handful of raspberries

Dinner was lettuce wrap fish tacos. The fish was dredged in coconut milk, then sugar free flaked coconut with curry powder in it, cooked in coconut oil and topped with a mango-lime-ginger salsa. Best meal yet! My husband loved it, though he chose tortillas.

No exercise these past two days which is so not the norm. I hope to get some time freed up over the next week since I won't be traveling or doing the catch up from it.

I thought for day 7 I'd recap how I felt during the first week. First of all, I'm very surprised about my lack of intense cravings, headaches or any of the common side effects of going sugar free. My energy has felt very calm and stable and it seems like I'm satisfied by less food. My face and hips both look a bit slimmer and I feel less bloated. I'm totally on board with not touching a scale for the 30 days because I don't want to be discouraged. Best of all, there is a gallon of ice cream in my house and yet I'm totally indifferent to its presence in my freezer. I like being able to peacefully coexist with "off limits" foods in my environment. Today, I'll work on a meal plan for the week so I won't need to wing it as much as I did in week 1.

I took a 3 mile walk after my eggy breakfast this morning. I'll update with the rest of my meals tomorrow. Week 2 - yay!

I'm on day 10 now. I haven't logged a few days' meals because there was quite a bit of repetition. I made a pork tenderloin with some roasted sweet potatoes. This was the first bit of starch I've had since I started. I served it with a cilantro/lime dressing that I proceeded to slather on just about everything over the past few days. Some of my other meals were: the rest of the fish tacos, eggs and asparagus, blueberry smoothie, a few hb eggs, second portion of pork tenderloin. Tonight I plan on some salmon.

I wore shorts yesterday that had been hard to fasten a few weeks ago - just the confidence boost I need to keep at it.

Archived