Coconut sugar in coconut aminos

midwestgirl80

After searching high and low, I FINALLY found coconut aminos in Sydney... when they arrived, I see they have coconut sugar as the third ingredient. I searched the forum for this, and can find plenty about coconut aminos and plenty about coconut sugar, but nothing about the latter in the former. Is this okay?! Or no? :(

To add insult to injury, I paid $18 for it...

Oh my. That seems so expensive. My coconut aminos contain: Organic coconut sap (whatever that is) aged and blended with sea salt. That's it. Coconut sugar? In my measly mind, it's simply sugar being called something else, but I could be SO wrong. I just googled it. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Coconut_sugar

Can you return it? I would. Does the nutrition label show sugar amounts?

I could return it, but I probably won't - it's from a store in the Sydney suburbs and they couriered it to me. It does have the nutrition info, and it isn't pretty - 72g of sugar per 100mL (3.6g sugar per serve). The bottle says "Coconut Amino SAUCE" - but that is NOT what the website says in the product name or description. And there are no ingredients listed on the website. Because I hadn't read any issues with any particular kind of coconut aminos, I assumed they were all the same. I might email them though and let them know they're website is a bit misleading. Now that I look closely, you can see "Sauce" in the picture, but just barely and even if I had noticed, I wouldn't have questioned it.

Am I wrong in letting them know most people would assume this was a sugar-free product?

I could return it, but I probably won't - it's from a store in the Sydney suburbs and they couriered it to me. It does have the nutrition info, and it isn't pretty - 72g of sugar per 100mL (3.6g sugar per serve). The bottle says "Coconut Amino SAUCE" - but that is NOT what the website says in the product name or description. And there are no ingredients listed on the website. Because I hadn't read any issues with any particular kind of coconut aminos, I assumed they were all the same. I might email them though and let them know they're website is a bit misleading. Now that I look closely, you can see "Sauce" in the picture, but just barely and even if I had noticed, I wouldn't have questioned it.

Am I wrong in letting them know most people would assume this was a sugar-free product?

I would totally let them know although, I think one thing we learn on Whole30 is that label reading is so important. We think or assume and then we get into trouble. It's a little more difficult when ordering online, but I just don't order it if the ingredients aren't provided..and "all natural" now means nothing to me. :)

I would certainly let them no, what a bummer for you. Can you get the coconut secret one fro

amazon or iherb?

iherb, whom I love for many things, has unfortunately been out of stock since I started Whole30. And the only source that ships internationally on Amazon (that I could find) for Coconut Secret was $46 in shipping! Ah, well...

Yes, agree I think should them know. I think it's a fair mistake. And yes, slw600, I am learning you MUST read labels! Shocking what they put in things!

• 3 months later...

I nearly bought it as well - wouldn't have thought to read the ingredient list for coconut aminos given it is such a well used product in the US. I was so excited about actually seeing it in a store! Grrr...

Bummer, I have been wondering where I could get some. I buy Niulife for flour and flakes so would have assumed it was okay. Coconut sugar is sugar from coconut palm nectar. I used it often pre whole9 as it is high in vitamins etc (like unrefined cane sugar). It may actually be okay as a minor component given that whole9 allows fruit juice for sweetening... cant recall though if this is excluded from whole30. Maybe a mod can comment. Must say I switched to a less syrupy balsamic for my whole30 as though technically compliant, it was 47% sugar...

I had to order the aminos online...the coconut secret brand....as I couldn't find it anywhere here at a b&m. Well actually husbie ordered it for himself because he made a stirfry that according to him was "too bland" with some kind of brown sauce. Here in Canada the shipping was the same for 2 bottles as for 1 so we got two.

Such a bummer that yours isn't compliant and I hope you have some luck getting the good stuff.

I bought the Coconut Secret one after finding that the Nuilife one had coconut syrup in it. The carb/sugar content of the Nuilife one is waaaaaayyyyy higher than the coconut secret one (can't remember the numbers now and I'm not at home to check), so I'm assuming that the sugar hasn't been eaten up by any fermentation etc. I'm in Sydney too, and I got the coconut secret one about a month ago from http://www.therawfoodworld.com. With shipping it ended up pretty expensive (around $20) and I have to say - not worth it, it's not a strong flavour and I end up using tons of it, the bottle ran out in a couple of weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually ordered 5 bottles from Nuilife and then read posts about the sugar content :angry: (I cancelled the order quick smart!). I have just ordered 5 bottles from therawfoodworld.com for $6.13/bottle plus $18 postage, which brings the cost per bottle to less than $10. That is less than what I paid for Nuilife at the organic shop!! Happy with that. I guess if you can get a couple of people to add to your order it's definitely worth it.

Hi guys

I'm a long haul flight attendant who lives in sydney and I bring back bottles of coconut aminos from LA all the time. They work out to be about $10 a bottle. If you want me to get you some then flick me a message :-)

Sarah

Just did the same without reading the label - when will I learn...I figure if its so hard to work out if its whole30 compliant, I'll choose not use it during the 30 days but may use it from time to time after. FYI here's the full ingredient list for the Nuilife Coconut Aminos Sauce.

Certified Organic Fairtrade Coconut Aminos Sauce (250ml) by Niulife = a non-MSG Soy sauce substitute.

A nutritional Superfood!

- No MSG

- Preservative Free

- 100% Certified Organic

- Non-GMO (genetically modified organism)

- Gluten and Grain Free

- Dairy Free

- Vegan

- Fairtrade.

Ingredients: Certified Organic: Coconut Vinegar (70%), Coconut Nectar Syrup (18%), Coconut Sugar, Bird's Eye Chilli, Garlic, Onion Powder and Sea Salt.

Store: In an airtight container, in a cool dark cupboard.

Origin: Philippines, packed in Australia.

Certification: NASAA

Nutritional information:

All quantities are averages. Contains 50 Serves:

Per 1 tsp 5ml Serve Per 100ml

Energy 62kj 1242Kj

Protein 0.7g 1.4g

Fat, Total 0g 0.3g

- Saturated 0g 0.1g

Carbohydrate 3.6g 72g

Sugars 3.6g 72g

Sodium 197mg 3933mg

Archived