Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

• Administrators

I'm just going to add briefly to what AmyS was getting at.  The folks that responded about why they are forgoing the three meals a day, I got a sense that you folks are very tuned in with yourselves and that is commendable.  From my history, I went through a period of about 2 months where I was happy and thriving on no breakfast and two paleo-based meals and had never felt better.  And then..............shit went sideways and while I tried to keep doing it because it was working so well for me, it wasn't having the same results and I was just digging my way further into a hole.

So what I have to say is this.  STAY tuned in to yourselves.  Make sure that what you're doing continues to fit with your life and make sure that you continue to feel good.  Because when/if it goes sideways, it goes there in a hurry.  Maybe it's not "whole30-mod-ey" for me to say this, but to be sure, bodies fluctuate and what feels good/right today may not feel good/right tomorrow.  As long as what you are doing is in your own best interest, mind/body/soul, carry on.  If you're doing it to punish yourself, relish a starvation-y feeling, restrict enjoyment or fast track weight loss, stop it immediately.

For anyone new coming along, please know that lack of hunger is generally a result of out of balance hormones.  The only, only, ONLY way to rectify this and get a balanced foundation is to eat food, regularly and in portions that are appropriate to your context (a la Whole30 recommendations).  These ladies aren't trying to "hack" their Whole30, they're seasoned, tuned in Whole30'ers with by-the-book Whole30's under their belts.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to add briefly to what AmyS was getting at.  The folks that responded about why they are forgoing the three meals a day, I got a sense that you folks are very tuned in with yourselves and that is commendable.  From my history, I went through a period of about 2 months where I was happy and thriving on no breakfast and two paleo-based meals and had never felt better.  And then..............shit went sideways and while I tried to keep doing it because it was working so well for me, it wasn't having the same results and I was just digging my way further into a hole.

So what I have to say is this.  STAY tuned in to yourselves.  Make sure that what you're doing continues to fit with your life and make sure that you continue to feel good.  Because when/if it goes sideways, it goes there in a hurry.  Maybe it's not "whole30-mod-ey" for me to say this, but to be sure, bodies fluctuate and what feels good/right today may not feel good/right tomorrow.  As long as what you are doing is in your own best interest, mind/body/soul, carry on.  If you're doing it to punish yourself, relish a starvation-y feeling, restrict enjoyment or fast track weight loss, stop it immediately.

For anyone new coming along, please know that lack of hunger is generally a result of out of balance hormones.  The only, only, ONLY way to rectify this and get a balanced foundation is to eat food, regularly and in portions that are appropriate to your context (a la Whole30 recommendations).  These ladies aren't trying to "hack" their Whole30, they're seasoned, tuned in Whole30'ers with by-the-book Whole30's under their belts.

Yes and thank you for listening to what I was saying.  Anyone who misunderstood my comments as positively trending towards a tendency to underfeed or over train was not listening.  

Yes for once I am feeling in tune with my body.  Yes for once I am listening to it.  I stand by notion that I am on a path, a path accompanied by others knowing full well that sometimes I will go over the log while others go under.  

And I listened to what you said also.  I fully stated that I am at the ready for the hammer to fall.  For something to catch up with me.  A change.  To wake up starving.  But for now, I am observing and listening.  And if anything different was heard, then that's a shame because I believe it is EXACTLY what I should be doing.  

I grew up with a food pusher and I still have to deal with her often.  I always say "no thank you" but then I expect the pusher to listen, too.  I ingrained a lifetime of poor habits by NOT listening.  I also rebelled against peer pressure in the 7th grade and that has what gotten me to where I am today in life.  I am FAR from an invisible, man serving, passive woman regardless of how much or little I choose to eat.  

Just remember,  Mom food pushing visuals may not always be construed as positive.

We are all different.  

• Administrators

And I listened to what you said also.  I fully stated that I am at the ready for the hammer to fall.  For something to catch up with me.  A change.  To wake up starving.  But for now, I am observing and listening.  And if anything different was heard, then that's a shame because I believe it is EXACTLY what I should be doing.  

Watch for other things too like low grade anxiety, exhaustion, hair loss, messed up period (worse cramps/flow, mixed up days, spotting etc), reduced libido, mood swings, headaches etc.  It's not always that "starving" feeling that should cause you to reconsider yesterday vs today.  The body gets used to what it's getting for input and it can be little things like the stuff I noted above that all starts to get added together.  All of that stuff is hormonal imbalance and women who fast (or whatever you want to call your specific situation) are extremely prone to hormonal upset.  Just keep watch.  :)

Watch for other things too like low grade anxiety, exhaustion, hair loss, messed up period (worse cramps/flow, mixed up days, spotting etc), reduced libido, mood swings, headaches etc.  It's not always that "starving" feeling that should cause you to reconsider yesterday vs today.  The body gets used to what it's getting for input and it can be little things like the stuff I noted above that all starts to get added together.  All of that stuff is hormonal imbalance and women who fast (or whatever you want to call your specific situation) are extremely prone to hormonal upset.  Just keep watch.   :)

Roger that!  Agreed.

Halfway into the month -- how's it going for everyone? 

I'm doing much better about not using my phone during meals. Instead I tried doing a sudoku puzzle during dinner (my toughest meal) and found that having my hands and head busy slowed me down. I took time to eat, and I end relaxed and satisfied. Going to keep playing with it to optimize. I don't to be come dependent on having a puzzle!

As for hydration -- great point to bring up! I'm about to prep my 3rd bottle of the day with some green tea and a splash of ACV.

I'm also recipe shopping for the weekend this afternoon. I have some fenugreek pods and frozen fish to play with. I'd like to try fish tacos wrapped in lettuce leaves, and maybe the fenugreek into a curry. Maybe also a fish curry? 

lucie

Morning all

This week i am going to focus on hydration - although in the past more liquid inside of me generally means I don't do food so well

I have 3 teas I can tolerate (mint & licorice / fennel & cardamon / redbush) and I like lime or lemon juice in fizzy water - any other good suggestions for a bit of variety ?

Love kombucha - but it doesn't always love me

Did another session of dynamic yoga last night - again good & challenging - but still not sure that something can be called exercise when it requires your eyes to be closed

Hope all well

Z  

I successfully made it through the week, yay! Taking a "cooking break" really helped renew my batteries, too. Now that my husband is back home I can start poking at some of the recipes in the book I was eager to try out, but I don't feel pressured to cook all the things, either. Slowly I'll figure out the balance between being a slave to the kitchen and enjoying the whole "fooding" process.

That being said, veggies, veggies, veggies! I tend to skimp on the veggies at meals, getting burned out with raw salads yet not carving out the time to cook or roast something. So last night I made it a priority to roast a pan of brussel sprouts to stick in the fridge this morning. I don't have time to roast things before dinner, but I can totally stick a pan in and go do another evening chore or play with the kids while my veggies for tomorrow are roasting. With experimenting on my own schedule this week, I find that spending the extra time in the evening to make sure everything is queued up for tomorrow makes the whole process easier. I believe this is what most humans call "preparation"?  ;)

Hello fellow travelers,

I'm really writing this so my friend in the over 50 thread finds it--she was wondering about the W9 versus W30.

But since I'm here, I'lljust mention that I'm also interested in variety in my water; I think I already shared the delicious ginger root, pomegranate juice and blueberry juice in a food processor, then strained (well) into a squeeze bottle to add a tsp or two to my bubbly water.

So, I'm doing tangerine juice with (pure) rosewater. The juice is from fresh tangerines and you can find rosewater at Middle Eastern grocers or on Amazon.

Another option which can be strong, but you can vary the taste by judicious use, is making lavender water. Just immerse culinary lavender in a small glass container of water and refrigerate for 3 days. Lemon juice and lavender are natural together, so a tsp of lavender and a tsp of lemon in your bubbly.

Cooked up some carrots and okra the fried a couple eggs in it for m1. Beef liver, sugar snap peas and baked sweet tater for m2. Fish taco with spicy slaw in lettuce wrap for m3.Made some butter from raw milk cream I had hanging out in the fridge, From that to ghee, made almost a pint of ghee. Have about a gallon of kombucha I need to bottle,add some juice to for a second ferment then refrigerate... Fixin' to hit the hay, day 15 for me and feelin' really good! Hoping for the Tiger blood next, for us all!

This am, took my #5 cast iron skillet, sauteed the last of the frozen okra along with the last of the frozen kale, some chopped onion and some sweet red pepper in my homemade ghee, Sprinkled about 1 ts cumin, 1/2 tsp ancho chilli powder, 1/4 tsp roasted garlic powder, about 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Scrambled up 2 xl eggs. Poured the scrambled eggs over top and heated a bit then put the whole thing in my toaster oven at 350 for 9 minutes. Yummy!

Who is in for a 9 month Whole 9 Challenge? The Whole9 lists 9 factors that "lead to a healthy, vibrant, balanced life". This challenge will dedicate one month per topic, starting with an Official Whole30 Nutrition Challenge in January. 

Here's some ideas I have for the year. If you want to do something different, join us later in the year, join for only a few months, or have unique personal goals, please feel free to do so. 

At the end of the prior month, let's share relevant reading and experiences so we can learn about it and set personal goals. Then as the month starts, share your goals for a Before & After personal summary at the end of the month. Check in as much or as little as you like. 

If you like, please share your personal goals, brief history, and something else interesting about yourself in an introductory post -- favorite food, pet peeve, Whole30 funny story, anything!

Here are the 9 months, using great suggestions so far. February is a flexible month, It can be used for an extended Whole30, re-introductions, and/or establishing great eating habits now that you have foods figured out, or something else relating to Personal Growth.

Jan: Nutrition & Whole30
Feb: Personal Growth - including Reintroductions & Healthy Eating Habits
Mar: Sleep
April: Stress
May: Training & Healthy Movement 
June: Natural Environment & Getting Outside
July: Fun and Play
Aug: Socialization & Connecting with Others
Sep: Temperance 
Oct: Refining and Reflecting- an additional synthesis, troubleshooting, etc. 

Hi everyone!  I am Melissa M (Melimulse) and am just joining this forum.  I am on day 16 of this year's January Whole 30 and it's my second successful Whole 30 - I tried a few in between my successful January 2014 Whole 30 and this one that did not work out.  I have been interested in sustainable change and looking at the Whole 9 life for a while, but wanted a support group.  So, this group is perfect for me.

About me: Divorced mother of a married 27 year old daughter and a 17 year old son, both of whom are incredible people.  I also have a 6 year old yellow labrador retriever that is my best friend, and a wonderfully supportive boyfriend; we do not cohabit but plan to when the kids are grown.  I am also a senior government IT project manager.  I am over 50, love to read, write, get outdoors, walk, yoga, travel, spend time with friends and family....

My personal goals:  To optimize my time with healthful pursuits, become a better, stronger, healthier and wiser person; to develop sustainable habits that enable me to fulfill these goals. To live another whole lifetime before my time here is up - and make it amazing!

Brief history: My first Whole 30 was terrific and I learned some important things about myself and my relationship with food.  Subsequent efforts provided rich lessons learned, to include revelations about foods I am sensitive to *besides* the issues I already knew about with gluten, grains, dairy.  I am allergic to coconut as well and peanuts (found that out on a day one forgetfulness fail this year), and potentially nightshades.   I am also working very slowly through mobility issues that are the result of years of small injuries and a fairly sedentary lifestyle.  My happiest time ever was when I was fit and doing martial arts 4-5 times a week.  I gave that up due to prioritizing time with my son and experiencing injuries.  I do not have any diagnosed systemic issues other than osteoarthritis, allergies and general inflammation, and have successfuly avoided obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stomach cancer and other issues that plague my siblings and killed my parents and grandparents (I attribute these issues to gluten).  Looking to go from "doing better than the average 53 year old in my family" to having a lifestyle that enables me to fulfill my purpose to it's fullest.

Something else about me:  I love what I do at the Department of Veteran's Affairs - arguably the most worthy mission in all of the Government agencies, and plan to work to my full retirement age of 67.  I am working alongside a dedicated group of civil servants who want to make things better, but it is gut-wrenchingly difficult in this political environment.  The stress level makes me ill at times.  If I had all  of my financial affairs in order such that I could fulfill my responsibilities for the rest of my life (hoping for another 50 years), I would pursue both writing and the healing arts.  I will do both during retirement.  I long for the mountains and for being outdoors, much more than I get there.  I also love solitude, philosophy, poetry, and multitudes of intellectual pursuit.  I want to incorporate daily yoga and meditation into my life.  I want to run again.  I want to feel well enough to take on Tai Chi as Tang Soo Do is too high impact for me now. 

Hi Melissa

Welcome

Looks like you're in the right group - we all have a lot on our plate and I lot we want to achieve

I so get the wanting to live a lifetime before its all over

Dito on the cant do gluten and dairy but how did you find out about the allergy to coconut - I have a suspicion I am the same - I love it but when I eat it it is like unleashing a dragon - it might as well be sugar for me 

I also don't go over board on nightshades

Z

Hi Melissa

Welcome

Looks like you're in the right group - we all have a lot on our plate and I lot we want to achieve

I so get the wanting to live a lifetime before its all over

Dito on the cant do gluten and dairy but how did you find out about the allergy to coconut - I have a suspicion I am the same - I love it but when I eat it it is like unleashing a dragon - it might as well be sugar for me 

I also don't go over board on nightshades

Z

Hi Zoe, thanks for the welcome. I thought I posted a reply earlier about the coconut but now it's gone. So, here it is again! There is a family history and I never ate much till I went gluten free and tried my first Paleo cookbook. Discovered the incredibly lovely flavor and versatility. My neice encouraged me to eat a lot,and mentioned it has detoxifying effects that I might work through over time. So I ate coconut flake cereal and made ridiculously awesome curries and sauteed nitter veggies n it and....ended up with vertigo, followed by a trip to the emergency room for acute pancreatitis! As soon as I cut out coconut, it went away. I had some rashes and inflammation and digestive distress and should have paid better attention, but I was focused on work and not paying attention to myself. Also, I was feeling petulant. It is the pitts to be sensitive to gluten and dairy and sugar. Coconut too seemed like a raw deal. Still does, but not worth feeling ill!

If you suspect it, I recommend you dont eat it. If you feel better without, you can always try a little during reintro and see what happens!

Hi Melissa

Thanks for the coconut update

I can live without it so will - bar a few meals I really like - but they can wait

I have been working away at my hydration and woke up this morning feeling like I have the worst hangover ever - not sure if it is the extra liquid or dropping a couple of espressos - hope it passes soon

Hi missmunchie

Must try a pinch of salt in my lemon / lime 

My (2nd) Whole30 finished last week and I had a really packed week of off-roading potential.  The timing was horrible  :wacko:

I made a plan (what was "worth" it, what wasn't).  My only rule was to stick to the plan.  Since the decision was not in-the-moment, my emotions were out of the process.  For me, decisions in the "now" can be dangerous.  My original intentions go flying out the window too easily.

I had a fantastic time.  Did some off-roading.  Followed my plan.  Feel really good today.  And SUPER happy to have a "normal" week ahead!  

I want to continue using this "rule" during the Whole9.  Took the stress out of the week and kept those head voices quiet ... and ended up being very enjoyable without leaving me feeling crappy or deprived.

Good morning from the East Coast, Whole 9-ers! Day 17 here for me after a restless night, seeming to stem from some leg pain that likely resulted from the Tiger Blood induced really long walk with my dog yesterday! Looks like it is a yoga and foam roll day. I am interested in what you're all saying about hydration. That seems to be a challenge for me right now, though I am drinking lots of water and herbal tea. Is that a Whole 30 side effect?

I am waking up to -13F and talk of being ALLERGIC TO COCONUT???!!!  I don't know which is worse cuz living without coconut may just be a fate worse than death as far as I am concerned.  Oh how I would miss some coconut milk in my coffee in the morning and the squash  soup I am planning on making for dinner tonight.  My heart breaks for you all.

I have been given such a gift here at the perfect time as I just found out through a complex scheduling snafu that I will not have to go back to work until Feb 12.  The relief that that brings with getting things nailed down and not having to travel or flip my sleep schedule or have anxiety about finding  healthy food is almost orgasmic.  The universe has said "ok, no excuses, don't blow this," so I can not.

The diet is going perfectly.  No cravings except a momentary wine longing that I soon understood as a habit due to circumstances.  So I changed my circumstances and it quickly subsided.  

I took my 16 year old daughter to Denver Sunday night to fly the simulators for training and though it was a difficult schedule, flying from 10 pm till 2 am, we had a blast and bonded and she got to see what mom does at work.   My family is so supportive and she didn't blink when I took a little more time at the terminal finding something that I could eat and we ended up at a fantastic, organic, whole food, spot that was so convenient and delicious that we ate both coming and going.  I got behind on my water this weekend, Denver is so dry and I couldn't chance having to shut the sim down to go pee that I planned it ahead and today I will get back on the boat.  

I am curious about Tiger blood in anyone else.  Mine is almost out of control.  I mentioned that I did not get it the first round and was skeptical and disappointed in all the effort with very little pay back however this round I literally felt it with in the first few days.  My husband is starting to query every morning what I plan to tear apart today?   So far I have cleaned the whole house top to bottom, painted 2 walls, measured and ordered stone to lay on another, started to build a lamp, shoveled snow, sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist, moved furniture around, moved new power tools into my shop from my dad, ordered supplies to re-stain all my leather furniture that's almost 20 years old, cooked, prepped and still had enough energy to stay up reading nightly plus kept up a reasonable exercise schedule.  I AM ON FIRE.  I get up feeling 50% better than before and no longer need a nap in the afternoon.  I just don't get it.  Something is different but I like it.  

Hope all's well.  Up here burrowed in from the cold but finding plenty to do. 

Oh, Flygirl, don't worry about we coconut allergics. Getting tiger blood like yours is what it's all about. That's enough 'cream' for my coffee! Anyway, I was stuffing myself with it. It had become a replacement binge food for sweet things, creamy things. So, even if I could eat it, it was letting me keep an unhealthy hanit alive.

I am also feeling great and wish I could take off work to turn some of my house project fantasies into reality! I have done a few small things and will keep going to kerp myself busy and find a way to tire myself out! I am feeling so much better in terms of aches and pains, and this means I am able to use my standing desk for much longer, and also work out harder, walk more, etc. Hurray! Also I finally found light olive oil and am warming up my ingredients to make mayonnaise, yay! Getting a little tired of ghee on everything. I am writing more than usual and am calmer than usual. Also I am visually noticeably slimmer, clothes fitting better. Day 18 here, so I guess I am right on track!

Hey Melimuse,

Just a tip: no need to warm down eggs for mayo:

Put 1 large egg, teaspoon of lime or lemon juice and salt in a container wide enough for your blender (i use an empty ghee jar); pour 1 cup oil on top. Immerse your stick blender to the bottom, turn on for a full 20 seconds. Then slowly move the blender up through remaining oil, emulsifying completely.

I saw this on a thread--don't remember which, but it absolutely works.

Just checking in after traveling the last several days! This trip was the biggest reason I chose not to do a full Whole30 this month, and that was a good call - I stayed with some dear friends with small kids, and since I don't have major allergies or intolerances, I hate to make a lot of demands when they're feeding me all weekend. They eat mostly whole foods, with more dairy and grains than I'm used to. Add that to travel dehydration and lack of sleep due to talking for hours, and this week is about trying to get back to my normal - but it was all so worth it to spend time with them. If this were socialization month, I'd be golden. ;)

The downside of weekly cookups on the weekend is that when you're gone on a weekend, it means you're not prepared for the whole next week. I have some food left from last week, but otherwise trying to make up for it with efficiency in the kitchen, canned tuna, and solid takeout choices!

Oh, Flygirl, don't worry about we coconut allergics. Getting tiger blood like yours is what it's all about. That's enough 'cream' for my coffee! Anyway, I was stuffing myself with it. It had become a replacement binge food for sweet things, creamy things. So, even if I could eat it, it was letting me keep an unhealthy hanit alive.

Totally agree - now that you have pointed this out coconut has been a replacement binge food for me as well - in fact it would be one of the foods I would crave the most - looking back even as a child I always loved things like coconut ice / raspberry ruffles / bounty bars - sad that you really want stuff that ends up being really bad for you - in my case DAIRY / SUGAR & NOW COCONUT - but will probably continue to use it in moderation and to incorporate it into meals - hopefully that will be a compromise

SORRY MEANT TO SAY - 

I was stuffing myself with it. It had become a replacement binge food for sweet things, creamy things. 

ALSO MEANT TO SAY - THE ABOVE WAS A LIGHT BULB MOMENT 

I hear you all on coconut.  And nuts have the same problem for me too ... food without brakes.  Neither agrees with my stomach in large quantities.  As long as I eat either as part of a recipe, I'm fine.  On their own is another story!

For February's Whole9 I'm moving fitness up front and center.  I have procrastinated trying yoga for way too long!!  I have a 2 private sessions booked for early in the month.  I'm oddly nervous (probably because I won't be good ... horrible in fact ... and I hate that feeling ... yet another thing to work on I guess!!).  

Going to keep my nutrition goals through the end of February too.  No snacking (mini-meals not included) and no desserts.  I figure those areas are my trouble spots and I want to see how it feels to abstain from both for an extended time (my Whole30 ended last week).

Yesterday was the first night I wanted to snack.  Hard day at work, home alone for the evening (i.e. no witnesses!!) and Whole30 over ... but I held it at bay.

I'm glad to have this thread to help with accountability and support! (I'm a tad bit addicted to reading the forum lately!!)

Archived