Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, something new for me. Beef heart chili. It's in the crock pot slow cooking all night. Will be taking some to work tomorrow Love to freak out the co-workers!

You inspired me CQ, and I've just been to my Butcher and ordered a Beef Heart (which I'm told will be HUGE) for Friday - I made a chilli for this week, so I'm going to try out this Moroccan Stew....  :wub:

You inspired me CQ, and I've just been to my Butcher and ordered a Beef Heart (which I'm told will be HUGE) for Friday - I made a chilli for this week, so I'm going to try out this Moroccan Stew....  :wub:

My heart was not a whole heart. Only got a quarter of the beef so I guess the gave me a quarter of the heart... But oh my that chili was awesome! I did add a jalapeno and a poblano pepper, doubled the cumin, split the chili powder into 1 tbsp chili powder and 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder, then added a tbsp or 2(can't remember for sure) of cilantro. Put it in the crock pot on low Mon eve and let it cook all night. By lunch, the heart was amazingly tender. Definitely needs a long cook time. What I left at home that didn't cook as long(lunch crockpot) was still a little chewy when I heated some for supper. Crock Pot states their lunch crock pot is only for heating food, not cooking, but It was enough over the four hrs it was plugged in at work to finish the heart. Definitely a keeper recipe! Need to check my freezer and see if I have another... Checking out the Moroccan Stew...

My heart was not a whole heart. Only got a quarter of the beef so I guess the gave me a quarter of the heart... But oh my that chili was awesome! I did add a jalapeno and a poblano pepper, doubled the cumin, split the chili powder into 1 tbsp chili powder and 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder, then added a tbsp or 2(can't remember for sure) of cilantro. Put it in the crock pot on low Mon eve and let it cook all night. By lunch, the heart was amazingly tender. Definitely needs a long cook time. What I left at home that didn't cook as long(lunch crockpot) was still a little chewy when I heated some for supper. Crock Pot states their lunch crock pot is only for heating food, not cooking, but It was enough over the four hrs it was plugged in at work to finish the heart. Definitely a keeper recipe! Need to check my freezer and see if I have another... Checking out the Moroccan Stew...

I've printed the chilli recipe for another time, and also got a recipe for sweet heart stew which looks good, and a 'heart on fire' one from MDA.

I think the cook time for the apricot one is listed as 1.5hrs buts that's obviously not a slow cooker time - I'll be doing mine overnight in the slow cooker as always....

Can't wait to try it!!

• Administrators

I've printed the chilli recipe for another time, and also got a recipe for sweet heart stew which looks good, and a 'heart on fire' one from MDA.

I think the cook time for the apricot one is listed as 1.5hrs buts that's obviously not a slow cooker time - I'll be doing mine overnight in the slow cooker as always....

Can't wait to try it!!

Is there anything special to note about how to prepare heart?  I know with liver you try to remove the membranes etc.  Or...never mind, I could probably just google it, LOL!

Is there anything special to note about how to prepare heart?  I know with liver you try to remove the membranes etc.  Or...never mind, I could probably just google it, LOL!

Well, in the recipe I linked on MDA he talks about removing connective tissue, valves etc - but I guess that only applies if you get the whole thing.... I didn't really think about it until I read that recipe, but I used to prepare a lot of organ meat when I lived in Greece so I'm just hoping I remember what to do!  :wacko:

One of my goals for food coming up in February is the challenge to be in charge of my choices. My granddaughter's 3rd birthday bash is coming up, and I'll be making the treats, my in-laws are visiting the following week, there's Valentine's Day and my birthday, and my daughter is visiting towards the end of the month (wow, that should be my social month).

My mother-in-law is, without a doubt, a food addict, so I will need to stay balanced through the visit. The other occasions usually mean eating out and having food around that I normally don't eat--cake, chocolates etc.

What all of that means to me is that I will seek to remain centered and in touch with my body throughout; I plan to make decisions ahead of time about when I choose to eat off plan, and to remember to eat very mindfully rather than over-eating less nutritious food and then swinging the other direction and trying to make up for it by not eating sufficient high nutrition food. And I don't intend to indulge in guilt or shame about my choices. That said, I like the idea of making a shift from past behavior, and concentrate on non-food ways to celebrate and enjoy family. Valentine's Day feels pretty easy, cuz I love flowers as much as chocolates, but this February has a lot of opportunity to invite negative food relationship back into my life.

So, I'm beginning now to center myself about it.

Mine was pretty much prepared by the butcher apparently, no valves, vessels, etc. and very little fat. May do things differently here in the US or just how this particular butcher does it. Of course, if I were the butcher, I'd need to know!

One of my goals for food coming up in February is the challenge to be in charge of my choices. My granddaughter's 3rd birthday bash is coming up, and I'll be making the treats, my in-laws are visiting the following week, there's Valentine's Day and my birthday, and my daughter is visiting towards the end of the month (wow, that should be my social month).

My mother-in-law is, without a doubt, a food addict, so I will need to stay balanced through the visit. The other occasions usually mean eating out and having food around that I normally don't eat--cake, chocolates etc.

What all of that means to me is that I will seek to remain centered and in touch with my body throughout; I plan to make decisions ahead of time about when I choose to eat off plan, and to remember to eat very mindfully rather than over-eating less nutritious food and then swinging the other direction and trying to make up for it by not eating sufficient high nutrition food. And I don't intend to indulge in guilt or shame about my choices. That said, I like the idea of making a shift from past behavior, and concentrate on non-food ways to celebrate and enjoy family. Valentine's Day feels pretty easy, cuz I love flowers as much as chocolates, but this February has a lot of opportunity to invite negative food relationship back into my life.

Love your plan to make decisions ahead of time! It can be so challenging in the moment! I start hearing the "I deserve a . . . . " "just this once. . . " "I've worked so hard and need a reward".

The thing is, we CAN choose to have a treat and to off-road . . . but I do want to make it intentional and part of my daily eating plan.

I hear you all on coconut.  And nuts have the same problem for me too ... food without brakes.  Neither agrees with my stomach in large quantities.  As long as I eat either as part of a recipe, I'm fine.  On their own is another story!

For February's Whole9 I'm moving fitness up front and center.  I have procrastinated trying yoga for way too long!!  I have a 2 private sessions booked for early in the month.  I'm oddly nervous (probably because I won't be good ... horrible in fact ... and I hate that feeling ... yet another thing to work on I guess!!).  

Going to keep my nutrition goals through the end of February too.  No snacking (mini-meals not included) and no desserts.  I figure those areas are my trouble spots and I want to see how it feels to abstain from both for an extended time (my Whole30 ended last week).

Yesterday was the first night I wanted to snack.  Hard day at work, home alone for the evening (i.e. no witnesses!!) and Whole30 over ... but I held it at bay.

I'm glad to have this thread to help with accountability and support! (I'm a tad bit addicted to reading the forum lately!!)

Hi Christina

Nuts are a food with no brakes for me too - but I broke the nut thing last year when I went AIP - have only really put eggs and small amounts of seeds, nuts and nightshades back in.

GO GIRL on the yoga - I had never done a yoga class in my life until 2 weeks ago - and it was just fine - at my second class I looked round thinking I would be looking like a disoriented hippo but no there were all shapes / sizes / postures / panting / grunting and other stuff going on - not a single person was bothered by me - SO ENJOY !!

I'm going to keep to the nutrition too through Feb & the general w30 structure - so we can keep each other company - Snacking (or rather nibbling) will be a focus for me - I CONFESS A HANDFUL OF GRAPES WERE EATEN THIS EVENING - that is unfortunately a habit while washing the kids snacks - other things I have noticed recently is tasting/nibbling as I prepare food so I want to be very mindful of that. I also want to consider in Feb completely avoiding fruit - but still mulling it over as I don't eat much fruit and use lemon and lime juice in water and love a 1/2 grapefruit straight from the fridge BUT dates. raisins and grapes OH BOY they are like sweets - maybe will just do citrus and see how I get on.

lol

z

I fell off the wagon, and I need to reset ...so today is my new Day 1...

I din't have the intention to stop on Jan 30th anyways... 

:)

Hi Laura

We have a whole 9 months to get lots of things working better in our lives - maybe Jan just wasn't your month for perfect w30'ing

As they say - keep calm and carry on

z

I have issues with nuts in re both overeating (they Crunch, for heaven's sake) and causing inflammation (besides coconut). I love seeing yoga in this thread because I started getting into it about a year ago and it is amazing! Among the most non-judgemental communities of practice of ANY kind I have ever observed, to include all forms of yoga, the physical, mental, spiritual bodies. The moment a teacher tells you to drink in the air as your nourishment, and you get it, is a milestone of integrated enlightenment on the Whole9 path, IMO. ☺️

I just tried putting salt and lemon juice in my water bottle. It is transcendent.

This Whole30 is all about new discoveries this time around! First the crock pot, now the bestest way to stay hydrated, ever! Too much awesome.

Hi missmunchie 

Tried the lemon & salt - didn't taste a noticeable difference - I put a pinch in - how much did you use ?

z

I'm going to keep to the nutrition too through Feb & the general w30 structure - so we can keep each other company - Snacking (or rather nibbling) will be a focus for me - I CONFESS A HANDFUL OF GRAPES WERE EATEN THIS EVENING - that is unfortunately a habit while washing the kids snacks - other things I have noticed recently is tasting/nibbling as I prepare food so I want to be very mindful of that. I also want to consider in Feb completely avoiding fruit - but still mulling it over as I don't eat much fruit and use lemon and lime juice in water and love a 1/2 grapefruit straight from the fridge BUT dates. raisins and grapes OH BOY they are like sweets - maybe will just do citrus and see how I get on.

lol

z

Maybe just focus on removing dried fruit & nuts?

I think they seem to be a lot harder for people to keep a handle on...

Thank you Zoe for the reminder...and nothing is ever perfect.

I need more time that 30 days do "undo" poor choices habits and build up new ones.

Looking back at the conversation regarding no TV during meals...which for people living alone can be challenging...I'll try listening to podcasts (a friend's suggestion)

Tonight: 10 days menu planning

Friday: food shopping

Saturday/snow day (here in NY): prep and cooking

:)

Maybe just focus on removing dried fruit & nuts?

I think they seem to be a lot harder for people to keep a handle on...

Nuts I think I am OK with 

Dried fruit I think I'm nuts with !! (Dates and Raisins)

Zoe  and LauraP  YES more than 30 days to undo habits, I'm reminding myself of that. Seemed like it would be easier to break the "sit down and slow down to eat" bad habit I have. I'm not done yet, but I'm much better. It's just so easy to grab a bite, do something, grab a bite do something, walk around with the next bite hanging out of my mouth, forget what I ate, wonder what and if I ate. Huh, should keep that visual of me running around the house this morning with food hanging out of my mouth...   I'm also terribly guilty of "pop 'n' chop", eating what I'm cutting as I'm cutting. Then I sit down to eat and half my meal already gone! 

Regarding nuts and dried fruit, my FODMAP elimination diet broke that habit for me and I haven't gone back yet. I used to eat cashews like crazy, now they don't tempt me at all. They're hard to give up, but once the habit is broken. I'm keeping that in mind for above habits, yes I can change!

For water: I have discovered adding herb leaves. So mint, basil, and sage. Yes sage! It's great! Also a splash of apple cider vinegar just makes the water zippy. 

Oh wow those heart recipes looks WONDERFUL! I did it too -- I called my butcher and next week I can try to reserve a lovely grass fed beef heart! They butcher one cow a week. I can also get liver, tongue, kidney, and sweetbreads. Any suggestions from the group on recipes for those? I had to google sweetbreads, don't they sound terribly un-Whole30? Heehee!! Learning to use these organ meats can be a great challenge for me the next few weeks :) 

I've had heart before, I made steak chunks out of it. Yummy but not sophisticated. 

As for other recipes, I have frozen fishes and shrimps to work with. Looking at a curry again, didn't get to it last week.

I can also get liver, tongue, kidney, and sweetbreads. Any suggestions from the group on recipes for those? I had to google sweetbreads, don't they sound terribly un-Whole30? 

There is a traditional Greek dish called kokoretsi made with the organ meat & sweetbreads of lamb - it's done on a skewer but I'm sure you could adapt/google and find an oven version & sub the lamb with beef - it is REALLY good....  :wub:

My heart Story

I inadvertently did heart last summer in Portugal while on hols

Not speaking Portuguese, eating and feeding the gluten free family of doom is an adventure

My bloodthirsty, meat eating, bone gnawing children fancied BBQ - this is good

Preferably they wanted rabbit - they like rabbit

Mum despatched to the shops - while boys surf 

No rabbit to be found / butcher had a queue a mile long

Rooted around in the pre packed meats - saw what looked like good value beef - HURRAH

Started to prepare - marinade in olive oil / garlic / herbs - started picking out valves / veins / arteries - GULP

Decided to take a chance - meat is meat is meat - flash fried it on the BBQ and served

They bravely chomped their way through - some comments - strange taste this beef !! / bit chewier than normal !

Hadn't the heart (ha get it) to tell them

Still referred to as the funny meat we had in Portugal 

One of my goals for food coming up in February is the challenge to be in charge of my choices.

What all of that means to me is that I will seek to remain centered and in touch with my body throughout;

This all sounds wise considering how much you have going on in February. I did the same for my December whole 30. I may have been a little control freak because i hosted everything and stayed completely compliant. It was a lot of work but it enables me to do this for the first time throughout the holiday season which is full of food/sweets and also high emotions. It felt really good to accomplish that. You can do it!

Tried my hand at making the Portakali sauce Wednesday.(Kaldi brand Portakali: ingredients: Tomatoes, onion, red wine, orange zest, black olives, blood orange puree, EVOO, ginger, parsley, pepper, sea salt). It is the most awesome tasting sauce when bike riding, but the red wine makes it non-compliant.  $8 for a 16 oz jar makes me cry. BAM! It may not have been an exact duplication as I had no recipe, just ingredients list. However, It was EXCELLENT! Didn't need red wine. Fire roasted tomatoes gave it a nice touch. I cooked up a lb of ground beef. Then I threw in chopped onion, 28 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, 3.8 oz dry wt can of Lindsay sliced black olives(drained), the juice and some pulp from 3 blood oranges, coconut oil in place of EVOO(used it to cook up the beef), grated about a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, about a tbsp of dry parsley, sea salt and pepper. let it simmer for a while til I couldn't wait to it any longer. Julienned some zucchini like angel hair pasta and poured the sauce over them raw. Sigh, Had leftovers for lunch at work Thur. with broccoli instead of the zucchini. Have about 2 cups of sauce left. Thinking about some kind of egg dish with it for M1 tomorrow.

This all sounds wise considering how much you have going on in February. I did the same for my December whole 30. I may have been a little control freak because i hosted everything and stayed completely compliant. It was a lot of work but it enables me to do this for the first time throughout the holiday season which is full of food/sweets and also high emotions. It felt really good to accomplish that. You can do it!

I am frequently a hostess for the very same reason!  Everyone always likes what I make, or so they say. :)  I let them bring other stuff, and invariably they bring something I can eat as well.  

Archived